WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gelcoat 102

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
View attachment 804441 View attachment 804442 View attachment 804443 View attachment 804444 A few pics from today’s shoot.

It was like a little vacation, lol.
In an age where giant 28 deck boats are the norm, stepping in to do a little 19? With some freedom to make something with a bit of flash but not up in your face bold, it was the most “fun” I’ve had working in quite some time.

The lil gal is getting a 250R outboard rumor has it. That should be fun.:)
Did they pull it from the mold yet, some of us are waiting.:D I know it’s only been a week:oops:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I’ve not heard.
Tomorrow is Jerry’s golf all day day, so:D

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
What’s wrong with Marshall? Daughter is on their First Tee competition team.
Nothing at all I used to golf there on occasion 30+ years ago. Back then I think Jerry lived up in that neck of the woods. Just making assumptions probably wrong. :D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
If they’d let me rip the banshee from hole to hole, golfing might interest me:D

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
View attachment 804441 View attachment 804442 View attachment 804443 View attachment 804444 A few pics from today’s shoot.

It was like a little vacation, lol.
In an age where giant 28 deck boats are the norm, stepping in to do a little 19? With some freedom to make something with a bit of flash but not up in your face bold, it was the most “fun” I’ve had working in quite some time.

The lil gal is getting a 250R outboard rumor has it. That should be fun.:)
Hey @Gelcoater did you ever get a picture of this when it was popped out of the mold? Or finished? :oops::D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Hey @Gelcoater did you ever get a picture of this when it was popped out of the mold? Or finished? :oops::D
I saw the lil bugger today.
Dash mocked up, interior parts are in a room waiting install.
Rumor has it this will get a 250R outboard.
Should be at the LA show.
6344620E-5B3F-40B3-8799-C9AAA7A41D99.jpeg
684163AB-3F07-43F8-B8C4-607DE5346976.jpeg
DBE39828-CABB-4CC6-A55D-F50620900E7D.jpeg
8973CA7D-04E6-46C4-88D6-AAA93631B4E8.jpeg
5686D5F3-CDD3-42DC-98ED-D1E6BAC9E0A0.jpeg

Hadn’t been sanded or buffed yet in these pics.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
That’s going to be a bitchin little boat when it’s done hopefully you can get a picture of it when it’s finished.:cool:

I wish I could put you to work Painting up a little hot rod for myself, but I think my new boat buying days are over.:(

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I ain’t saying where.
But during all this Covid 19 crap.

I’m just saying.
353A41EF-CCDF-47A3-8252-E50262BE803D.jpeg

I don’t qualify for unemployment. So...

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I ain’t saying where.
But during all this Covid 19 crap.

I’m just saying.
View attachment 866699

I don’t qualify for unemployment. So...
What’s the problem? I’m sure you’re wearing a mask anyway. ;)
I hope all this craziness doesn’t damage the boating industry anymore than it already has,Seems kind of ridiculous how they are cherry picking what is essential and what is not. I think it’s pretty essential that we all go to work.:oops:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
What’s the problem? I’m sure you’re wearing a mask anyway. ;)
I hope all this craziness doesn’t damage the boating industry anymore than it already has,Seems kind of ridiculous how they are cherry picking what is essential and what is not. I think it’s pretty essential that we all go to work.:oops:
Wearing a mask, rinsing my hands in acetone.
An astringent, like alcohol.
Only a little more harsh, lol.
No germs or virus will live in it.
And the acetone is the nice stuff we use ;)

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Wearing a mask, rinsing my hands in acetone.
An astringent, like alcohol.
Only a little more harsh, lol.
No germs or virus will live in it.
And the acetone is the nice stuff we use ;)

The same people that cry about you going into the glass shop or spray booth, to put food on the table, where you have minimal contact with others, are the same people that go to the grocery store 6 times a week to get their organic produce, fair trade coffee, and soy milk, while they come in contact with dozens upon dozens of people each time.

Fug em.

Glad to see you are staying busy through this. :cool:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
The same people that cry about you going into the glass shop or spray booth, to put food on the table, where you have minimal contact with others, are the same people that go to the grocery store 6 times a week to get their organic produce, fair trade coffee, and soy milk, while they come in contact with dozens upon dozens of people each time.

Fug em.

Glad to see you are staying busy through this. :cool:
👍
And, I’m growing my own organic produce.
Soy milk is nasty shit!
Now if I could only grow my own coffee...🤔

Mack

Reaction score
When boats have the carbon fiber showing was a clear coat of gel coat sprayed in that area or something else

Gelcoater

Reaction score
When boats have the carbon fiber showing was a clear coat of gel coat sprayed in that area or something else
Here you can see the guys laying it down on one side, the other is cleared and faded to black at tips and corners and awaiting its carbon skin.
18B500C4-D873-47C4-8BD0-E945F06CC40C.jpeg

Mack

Reaction score
That Is super cool to see does the carbon fiber have to be an epoxy resin or regular fiberglass resins

stingray11

Reaction score
When balsa is exposed inside a boat is the clear on it gel or resin?

Great thread by the way!

lenmann

Reaction score
When balsa is exposed inside a boat is the clear on it gel or resin?

Great thread by the way!

As I understand it, once the balsa is laminated in place a layer of chopped strand mat is laid down and over that a layer of 6 oz. woven cloth, both laminated with general purpose polyester resin. Over that several layers of clear gel coat with UV inhibitors such as Duratec SunShield are applied to protect the resin/glass matrix from the sun and to provide sufficient build up for color sanding and polishing if desired.

I haven't done this myself, but have had several conversations with Kornowski and Don from Pats Fiberglass about it.

stingray11

Reaction score
No mat or cloth on top of the Balsa this is Crystal Clear to the Balsa

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

toyaddiction

Reaction score
I don't give a shit about all the political or news posts that are on this site. I want to see pictures of people enjoying family time or technical information on how all of our boats were built or how we can make them better. I can google my boat and track it from when it was in the mold in 2008. Keep up on everything you do in this thread. Its what I look for in this site.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I don't give a shit about all the political or news posts that are on this site. I want to see pictures of people enjoying family time or technical information on how all of our boats were built or how we can make them better. I can google my boat and track it from when it was in the mold in 2008. Keep up on everything you do in this thread. Its what I look for in this site.
I’ve neglected this thread for some time.
A little stagnation on anything “new” for a while, but here’s something.

From wood grain, to carbon fiber, to printed cloth, to even a flannel inlay,
The basic process is the same.
Gelcoat a boat leaving a “window” of clear to apply the carbon, print, or flannel.

We have officially come full circle.👍
Someone in the world has a boat being built and it will have?
Woodgrain inlay.
I started at Eliminator sometime in late 1988 and I’ve never seen a boat built with Woodgrain.
I walked out of a spray booth today finishing my end of the job, and leaving that clear gelcoat window.
Tomorrow someone’s vision becomes reality.

These are a couple of sample boards with various backup colors applied to show final finish options.

F4EB6715-EDAE-4CB8-B688-3D6E03BF505B.jpeg

After I walk away the clear dries over night.
In the morning the crew will apply the wood cloth with a super clear surf board resin and let it dry.
66004EBF-564D-4E42-8937-F8F91EA697F1.jpeg

Then they apply the approved backup color to provide the right “stain” color.
Then they laminate the boat.

We should see something in about....

2 weeks.😎👍

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I’ve neglected this thread for some time.
A little stagnation on anything “new” for a while, but here’s something.

From wood grain, to carbon fiber, to printed cloth, to even a flannel inlay,
The basic process is the same.
Gelcoat a boat leaving a “window” of clear to apply the carbon, print, or flannel.

We have officially come full circle.👍
Someone in the world has a boat being built and it will have?
Woodgrain inlay.
I started at Eliminator sometime in late 1988 and I’ve never seen a boat built with Woodgrain.
I walked out of a spray booth today finishing my end of the job, and leaving that clear gelcoat window.
Tomorrow someone’s vision becomes reality.

These are a couple of sample boards with various backup colors applied to show final finish options.

View attachment 1063664

After I walk away the clear dries over night.
In the morning the crew will apply the wood cloth with a super clear surf board resin and let it dry.
View attachment 1063665

Then they apply the approved backup color to provide the right “stain” color.
Then they laminate the boat.

We should see something in about....

2 weeks.😎👍
Now you have me intrigued, care to divulge what hull/model? 🤔😎

wzuber

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the insight. When you say a window of clear are you saying you spray clear in that area (or the whole thing really?) Then mask off that window, lay down all remaining colors etc. Then the laminators come back and apply the woodgrain cloth with the super clear surf board resin then laminate out the rest etc....

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the insight. When you say a window of clear are you saying you spray clear in that area (or the whole thing really?) Then mask off that window, lay down all remaining colors etc. Then the laminators come back and apply the woodgrain cloth with the super clear surf board resin then laminate out the rest etc....
All the graphics are taped on the mold first then systematically filled with colors, leaving only the wood or carbon or whatever section as the last shot of clear.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Cofooter did this to the floor of his Sanger. Looks pretty damn good.
Did you clear the whole boat or lay it in like a color? Then lay the veil and wet it out same as glass? Then a base color like flake? Hope to see the finished product.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Cofooter did this to the floor of his Sanger. Looks pretty damn good.
Did you clear the whole boat or lay it in like a color? Then lay the veil and wet it out same as glass? Then a base color like flake? Hope to see the finished product.
Your pretty close. Didn’t clear the whole boat. Cleared the other colors and my final shot is a clear on the area of the wood cloth.
After wetting and applying the cloth they let the resin gel.
Then cover with color.
Then layup the boat.

As a side note the base color of the boat is white. White doesn’t need clear, and will infact not be true white with it.
We only use clear on white if we are floating some pearl or flake, or doing a shadow effect etc.