WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fresh off the train

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Not PDI’d yet. Fresh off the rails.
Sits more level than our 2015. I have to research bigger tires.
E543CB97-90AF-4DE7-AF8B-F2F561BFDAC7.jpeg
DE951C02-8526-4E19-BD12-F2F1B238C7ED.jpeg

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Love it. Beautiful truck. If the duallys had been out when I got mine 5 months ago I might have gotten one. My 2020 2500 handles the Hallett, 12,500LbS on trailer, just fine from a power and braking standpoint but there can be some rear end sway in certain high speed cornering conditions on the highway. It gets a little unnerving. The dually would absolutely have more lateral stability.

We’re looking at a Grand Design 397 TH toy hauler and if it can’t handle that confidently then I’ll move up to the dually at that time. You’ll love the truck. I’m coming from both a 2015 and a 2016 Denali 3500 SRW truck and these new ones are night and day better all around.

IMG_1093.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Love it. Beautiful truck. If the duallys had been out when I got mine 5 months ago I might have gotten one. My 2020 2500 handles the Hallett, 12,500LbS on trailer, just fine from a power and braking standpoint but there can be some rear end sway in certain high speed cornering conditions on the highway. It gets a little unnerving. The dually would absolutely have more lateral stability.

We’re looking at a Grand Design 397 TH toy hauler and if it can’t handle that confidently then I’ll move up to the dually at that time. You’ll love the truck. I’m coming from both a 2015 and a 2016 Denali 3500 SRW truck and these new ones are night and day better all around.

View attachment 867033

Nice set-up.
I ordered it in August. Jay said they are near impossible to get the duallys.
We love the Fords and Rams, but the price on the GMC dually and Banks videos on the Dmax's upgraded features sold us.
Probably do a road test towing the 398M next week.

yz450mm

Reaction score
The 2020 trucks definitely sit more level. The first time I towed my toy hauler with the 2020 at night, I was getting high beam flashed all the time, and I thought that maybe the rear suspension was sagging more than the 2017. I measured it, and it's not, the front end just sits higher from the factory. The difference in Towing from 17 to 20 is amazing! I just towed out to Kingsburg with about 21k behind me, and it was an outstanding Towing experience. No issues with power, no issues with braking, and the ride was amazing.

I went from 275 65-20, up to 285 65 20 BFG AT2's. It's a subtle difference, but 1/2 inch taller and a half inch wider fills out the wheel wells nicely.

@FROGMAN524, no question that you will need the 1-ton to tow that Beast. In the past, 3/4 to 1 ton wasn't much of a jump besides an overload spring. Now, I believe there are a few different areas that get upgraded, like removal of torque management and bigger driveline specs.
20200417_192346.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wish they kept the old mirror design

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah I agree. Our 2015 mirrors had the style and the new offer more functionality.

The Rams look nice also with excellent looking wheel style and size and with the Rams you can go several sizes up on the tires stock wheels with no suspension mods.

The Ram duallys the way we want one are scarce and dealers wouldn’t deal nor order us one. Maybe a Ram dealer out there that will but we never found one.

The 2020 GMC and Chevys have the ram air and much larger cooling we’re told is why the bigger front grill and taller hood deck. So tall there is a front camera.

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I was going to make some crack remark about how next year they need a slightly taller good. Jeez that is a lot of chrome.

Before long the manufacturer is going to have to move the cab forward and slope the hood.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The GM strike, the factory holiday shut down,, high demand, CV shut down, all slowed down the delivery of our 2020 3500 DMax.
Finally it arrived.

FwdjOlQ.jpg

The truck was pre-set with factory built five'r hitch mounting "Pucks" in the bed. The over-the-dealer-parts-counter, 5th wheel 30.5 hitch ($800) DIY install took about 1/2 hour. Just a couple sized sockets and needle nose pliers. Compact Curt hitch has a small footprint in the bed compared to hitches we've owned in the past. Set yours for max height. Gooseneck ball kit comes with the trailer option in a cool carrying case and they are way, way heavier than a standard ball hitch.

Dealer gave us retail price trade in on our 2015 high mileage dually and the 2020 seems like an entirely different truck. Dmax's really hold their value. We got a good break off MSRP and an additional $3500 off with the current rebate. No brainer to get new.

Lighter, more responsive steering, way more power and hole shot. Roomier interior, Nice driver position and lots more features. Softer seat leather, not the hard saddle leather of the 2015. Rear seat AC and Heads Up windshield display. Gun safe hidden below in the center console. Redesigned dash is outstanding, dunno what the critics are bitching about.

Sits almost level. The stink bug look of GM duallys of the past we really disliked but they pretty much eliminated that with the 2020 and we get almost 7000 lbs more towing capacity.

Our 21.000 lbs trailer added very little squat, so we won't need to bag or Timbren it and it's get better ride quality over our 2015 too. With GM duallys of the past, you're pretty much stuck with the bicycle tires unless you do a lift. We'll see if I can put bigger tires on without doing that with this supposedly re-designed truck.
Can't feel the exhaust brake work and chatting online with other 2020 Dmax owners they say the same. So,, we'll look further into that.

Towing up desert grades on a 99F afternoon Trans temp gauge barely moved off cold and the engine stayed steady at 180F.

Tailgate Kicker Sound system. Kinda tinny sounding. Expected better from Kicker. Evidently there is a bass option of some sort I'll have to explore. The name is fitting, it'll get kicked a lot.

yveAepp.jpg

We would have gone Chevy with Jason,, but that Chevy front grill. I can't get up in the morning and have to face it.

Last edited:

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Get the trailer on and take a pic. Nice truck!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
What’s your pin weight? Did you happen to measure squat?

I'll measure it next time I have a chance. I'm guessing from looking at it under 2 inches, maybe 1 or 1.5.
BTW The Curt hitch works different than hitches we've had in the past. The lever merely unlocks the jaws, driving off opens and releases the jaws. Hold that thought.

I'll never use air bags again. If it wasn't air leaks it was a mechanical, electrical or control problem with no dealer nor customer support from Firestone at all. All done with them.

Owners manual:
The exhaust brake works differently with the newer drivelines. Our 2015 it worked anytime you tapped the brakes under any conditions any mode and you really felt it kick in. 2020 It's changed:

1587774426386-png.1076366

Last edited: