WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stupid question

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Whats the difference between pipe & tubing? Im looking to make my own jeep steps, bumpers, etc. kid wants to make minibike frames to sell. We are in the market for a good bender. In shopping some say pipe, some say tubing. Im confused šŸ˜Ŗ
HELP. LOL

any bender recommendations?

yz450mm

Reaction score
Pipe is measured by the inside diameter, tubing is measured by the outside diameter. You do not want a pipe bender, you need a manual tubing Bender with the correct size dies for the tubing you want to bend. Inch and a half and inch and 3/4 are the most popular sizes for roll bars and cages.

.095 wall and .125 wall are the two sizes you will probably be using, but wall thickness does not affect outside diameter of tubing.

Look at a JD squared manual Bender, with the powered Ram if you can swing it. Buy a bunch of scrap mild Steel tubing and learn how to bend, then use DOM for anything roll cage related.

You will also need a tube notcher to fit your pieces together correctly. Harbor Freight has one that works, but this one is much nicer because it doesn't Flex.

Patton steel carries all this stuff, I would go visit them and have them set you up with a package deal.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
View attachment 877416

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Pipe is not perfect being round and the outside has a coating that need to be removed before painting .
Pipe has a welded seems .

We use DOM Tubing on all our jobs
Available in different wall thicknesses
Measures on size and tig welds great .

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Whats the difference between pipe & tubing? Im looking to make my own jeep steps, bumpers, etc. kid wants to make minibike frames to sell. We are in the market for a good bender. In shopping some say pipe, some say tubing. Im confused šŸ˜Ŗ
HELP. LOL

any bender recommendations?
Swear I just saw your dump truck at I-10 and Rice rd.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Pics
Screenshot_20200516-201632_Chrome.jpg
20200516_201508.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have a standard JD2 bender, modified hydraulic ram and home made cart deal. Real easy to use. DOM and chromoly get real expensive when you're just learning. I did a whole bunch of .120 wall mild steel before I stepped up to DOM. For the minibike frames, you may even mess around with a tubing hicky depending on what wall thickness you want to make them out of.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Pipe is measured by the inside diameter, tubing is measured by the outside diameter. You do not want a pipe bender, you need a manual tubing Bender with the correct size dies for the tubing you want to bend. Inch and a half and inch and 3/4 are the most popular sizes for roll bars and cages.

.095 wall and .125 wall are the two sizes you will probably be using, but wall thickness does not affect outside diameter of tubing.

Look at a JD squared manual Bender, with the powered Ram if you can swing it. Buy a bunch of scrap mild Steel tubing and learn how to bend, then use DOM for anything roll cage related.

You will also need a tube notcher to fit your pieces together correctly. Harbor Freight has one that works, but this one is much nicer because it doesn't Flex.

Patton steel carries all this stuff, I would go visit them and have them set you up with a package deal.

View attachment 877416
THANK YOU!!! Iwill check out pattons. Been staying away because its a pain in the ass to go there since the covid hit
Swear I just saw your dump truck at I-10 and Rice rd.
Not unless it got stolen. Lol. Cant miss mine. Giant black & red stripe on hood šŸ‘

ill be in vegas & colorado for the next 3 weeks with it tho

yz450mm

Reaction score
THANK YOU!!! Iwill check out pattons. Been staying away because its a pain in the ass to go there since the covid hit

Not unless it got stolen. Lol. Cant miss mine. Giant black & red stripe on hood [emoji106]

ill be in vegas & colorado for the next 3 weeks with it tho
I know it's a pain in the ass to go there right now, but trust me, the guys that work there are just as over it as we are. I went in on Thursday to buy some tubing, and my normal guy was telling me that the numbers are down and this bullshit needs to stop so they can get back to normal.

Introduce yourself to the branch manager, and have them set you up in the computer with an account. Tell him you will be buying a steady supply of steel for your new venture, as well as for your trucking business. Like other supply houses, who you are in the computer definitely dictates what you pay.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I have a pro-tools 105 bender w/ a 1.5ā€ die set....havenā€™t used it in 10 years, I might be ready to give it a new home

Icky

Reaction score
while you spending money, take a look at the bendtech software. You'll also need one of these if you get into bends on different axis.
https://www.trick-tools.com/Tube_Rotation_Gauges_206

I have a JD2 model 4 that i bought 10/15 years ago that i still use occasionally. The electric/hydraulic pump is a nice upgrade from doing it by hand.

Essexive G's

Reaction score
It may have already been said, but pipe benders kink the bends. Tube benders donā€™t kink the bends. I wouldnā€™t use a pipe bender for a roll cage. Not a fan of pipe benders for making anything for the Jeep. I donā€™t like the kinked look. There are tricks to make a pipe bender act like a tube bender, but it makes everything time consuming.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
The difference is a pipe you smoke from and tubing is being pulled in the water behind a boat. You can combine all three elements of the OP and pull a tube in the local concrete reservoir with the jeep while smoking a pipe.

Sorry I couldn't resist šŸ¤£

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
It may have already been said, but pipe benders kink the bends. Tube benders donā€™t kink the bends. I wouldnā€™t use a pipe bender for a roll cage. Not a fan of pipe benders for making anything for the Jeep. I donā€™t like the kinked look. There are tricks to make a pipe bender act like a tube bender, but it makes everything time consuming.
Not making a roll cage. I dont go fast enough to need one. Might spill my drink. I have priorities!!!!

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
I have a pro-tools 105 bender w/ a 1.5ā€ die set....havenā€™t used it in 10 years, I might be ready to give it a new home
Details? How much? I was just looking at that exact model