WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Great Powerboating Documentary...

Tank

Reaction score
Forgot all about this. This was filmed during the SCOPE Poker run, I want to say back in like 03 or 04. It was put together to be sold to a channel as a documentary but never did get sold. Still cool to watch. I'm sure a lot of you were around back then. We were at this poker run and remember them filming it. Good times.

If you have an hour to kill and want to remember the hey-day of offshore powerboating in Southern Cal., this is it.

Tank

Reaction score
Those were the best poker runs, probably the best times we had boating.

Hard to believe that was nearly 20 years ago!! LOL. All those boats have changed hands probably more than one time and SCOPE isn't even around any longer. Who would've thought that the offshore scene in So. Cal. would be pretty much dead in a few years at the height of the poker runs? crazy. Economy took a dump on So. Cal. offshore boating in 09 and it never recovered.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Damn that was right before i bought my first Cigarette

PlanB

Reaction score
Hard to believe that was nearly 20 years ago!! LOL. All those boats have changed hands probably more than one time and SCOPE isn't even around any longer. Who would've thought that the offshore scene in So. Cal. would be pretty much dead in a few years at the height of the poker runs? crazy. Economy took a dump on So. Cal. offshore boating in 09 and it never recovered.

The economy and some of the guys just getting older. More than a few got out of boating and got more into high end cars.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Offshore Go Fast is a young mans game for sure.... thats why I'm getting out soon.... this old spine needs loving.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Pretty cool show. A little over dramatic, but Good to see a lot of those boats I remember when I was growing up.

I saw Rons boat for sale not too long ago I think

Tank

Reaction score
Pretty cool show. A little over dramatic, but Good to see a lot of those boats I remember when I was growing up.

I saw Rons boat for sale not too long ago I think

It was redone a few years back and was listed about a year ago but pretty sure it’s still in loto. Bad mamma jamma

PlanB

Reaction score
Ron's boat was always one of the meanest sounding boats. Something about cold starts with big blower motors in a big offshore boat...

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Just need a bigger boat. 😉😁👍
That's what my orthopedic surgeon told me when I had my starter 23' go fast while looking at my mri, lol.... so I waited 8 years and got this 29' and it for sure is a softer experience but still beats me up. I bet one at say 40' with deeper hull makes things smooth out significantly. But my thinking is get a built 68-72 K5 Blazer to cruise gently around the coastal towns in a bit.

PlanB

Reaction score
Just need a bigger boat. 😉😁👍

We ran from Oceanside to Avalon and back with a guy in a 22' V and we were in our Top Gun. He actually went on to race in POPRA later on, but can't remember his name. On the way to Catalina we had to stop about halfway to give him a rest. He was getting beat to shit in his little boat, and it was like cruising down the interstate in our Gun. Size definitely matter, Lol.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
We ran from Oceanside to Avalon and back with a guy in a 22' V and we were in our Top Gun. He actually went on to race in POPRA later on, but can't remember his name. On the way to Catalina we had to stop about halfway to give him a rest. He was getting beat to shit in his little boat, and it was like cruising down the interstate in our Gun. Size definitely matter, Lol.
I'll bet.... and I learned just recently that having a mess of bodies on helps mash the swells too.... couldn't believe the difference it made having an additional 4 people on my 29'

MissHavasuCig

Reaction score
Cool video!!!

Ironically, I just came across this sticker the other day! 😎

EAC2C2C2-E6F8-4804-9DC6-7B80CF7CCCF4.jpeg

Tank

Reaction score
That's what my orthopedic surgeon told me when I had my starter 23' go fast while looking at my mri, lol.... so I waited 8 years and got this 29' and it for sure is a softer experience but still beats me up. I bet one at say 40' with deeper hull makes things smooth out significantly. But my thinking is get a built 68-72 K5 Blazer to cruise gently around the coastal towns in a bit.

We went from a 24 Baja Outlaw we ran in the ocean for 7 years to a 38 top gun. We sold that when we had small kids and when it was time to get back into boating my wife was like, “nothing smaller than a 38” lol I talked her into a 35 though and it’s been great. Deep heavy vee.

Last edited:

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Ron's boat was always one of the meanest sounding boats. Something about cold starts with big blower motors in a big offshore boat...
Yeah we were hanging out just off Avalon one day and he swung by to see if we were ok. Never forget the sound that made when he fired the motors up and got on plane

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Saweeet!

Attachments

• Bad Assed Boat at Dunes 1.MOV
    28.5 MB
  • Bad Assed Boat at Dunes 2.MOV
    30.8 MB

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score

My very first SCOPE lunch run to the Yardhouse in Long Beach, I ended up docked next to Ron. When it was time to head out, I couldn't believe the sound from those engines. I actually couldn't get my boat to start because I couldn't hear my engine cranking over and kept letting off the key before it had started. I had to let Ron pull out of the dock so I could hear my boat.

I have a few copies of the Blue Speed DVD in my garage somewhere - Great times!

rivergames

Reaction score
I had a chance to watch this last night. Bad Ass! I wish boating still went down like this in the Pacific.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
My very first SCOPE lunch run to the Yardhouse in Long Beach, I ended up docked next to Ron. When it was time to head out, I couldn't believe the sound from those engines. I actually couldn't get my boat to start because I couldn't hear my engine cranking over and kept letting off the key before it had started. I had to let Ron pull out of the dock so I could hear my boat.

I have a few copies of the Blue Speed DVD in my garage somewhere - Great times!
I had that happen to me at the dock Sunday in Newport. I came in late Sat night from literately a 12 hour boat day so I was spent from sun, booze & fun. I left the boat at the launch ramp dock and headed home to sleep. I typically get back to de launch and clean & store boat around 10am next morning and the Dunes security guys all know the boat so its cool. Well, I got a call from the marina at 9am letting me know the ramps very busy and they need me to get boat outta there asap... arrgh... hungover and still beat I drag my ass over there. As I approach the dock next too me is a 42' Fountain with its engine doors open letting those big blocks breath as the two dudes enjoy the warm up stage I guess, lol. Usually I love that sound but I decided to just let them have their moment cause my head was too dang sore to get too close.... I wouldn't have been able to hear mine turnover regardless, lol. Good times.

Turbosonic1

Reaction score
Epic Production by Chris Prouty!

The cool part is how many of us put our heart and soul into SCOPE where we have made life long friends and still hang out today!

Tank

Reaction score
Epic Production by Chris Prouty!

The cool part is how many of us put our heart and soul into SCOPE where we have made life long friends and still hang out today!
Motha F'n Lu Lyall! What up buddy?? I see you're (like many others) went away from the big offshore stuff and are living that pontoon life now. Hope to see you around Lu. Been a while.

Tank

Reaction score
H
hey I’ve been on that boat!!! Not sure I have ever felt that kind of acceleration when she reached down and grabbed some water.... like ever!!!!😳😳😳
Yeah you were. And with 11 other people on board LOL
and yeah, those big ol cleavered props biting the water when pushed hard by huge blown power will snap you back! 👍

82.png