WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hey LAM

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Bought a new 5th wheel.
https://www.niemeyers.com/product/new-2019-heartland-bighorn-3160-elite-968891-5

It doesn't come with a generator, so I have a question. Trailer is 50amp.
I plan on buying (2) 2200 watt gas generators. If I order a generator from the dealer, it would have to be propane. No place for a gas tank, so that's out.

Would using this cord adapter for both generators be safe?
50-to-2-30amp.jpg
yamaha-EF2200i-S-4-T.jpg

Or running the 2 generators in parallel be better?
Or is this not enough power to run 2 ACs safetly?

Dalton

Reaction score
youll need a paralleling cable I believe

hawgty55

Reaction score
I have a similar plug that works as your wanting but haven't used it off generators but off 2 30 amp plugs

rrrr

Reaction score
You can't just buy a couple of generators and use a power cord to parallel them. They have to be electronic inverter types, and the paralleling cable uses the electronics of one generator as the primary to control the inverter outputs of both generators.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
You can't just buy a couple of generators and use a power cord to parallel them. They have to be electronic inverter types, and the paralleling cable uses the electronics of one generator as the primary to control the inverter outputs of both generators.
That's why I'm asking, I knew someone here would know.
This is what I plan on buying.
https://www.yamahagenerators.com/EF...MIjtq4kcyF6gIVZCCtBh2QQgpmEAQYASABEgI5oPD_BwE

Thoughts rrr? So just connecting the cable between the 2 will work?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Make sure you can get 50 amps out of the 2 generators. I had a Honda 2000 and couldn't run a single AC off it for more than a couple minutes before it would pop the breaker.

Sent From Tapatalk

rrrr

Reaction score
That's why I'm asking, I knew someone here would know.
This is what I plan on buying.
https://www.yamahagenerators.com/EF...MIjtq4kcyF6gIVZCCtBh2QQgpmEAQYASABEgI5oPD_BwE

Thoughts rrr? So just connecting the cable between the 2 will work?

Better ask someone with more experience than me. I know a lot about paralleling multiple 2 megawatt generators. A couple of 2200 watt generators, not so much. :D

I don't think you can configure the two to run a single 50 amp load like your trailer, but I'm not sure.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
See option below on the link you posted for parallel wire kit and follow instructions wheeler posted
Those combined will be putting out 3600 watts not 4400 so if your running AC that require 50amp it’s likely gonna trip the gens. For sure will if you turn on microwave, or anything else with a power draw while air running.
Propane is good option for fuel. No carb issues. But if I recall peak power is also lower on propane. So check into that before you buy also. You’ll likely want larger ones.
I’ll tell you from experience, under sized gen/inverters will drive you crazy. Did 1 season before I said screw it and got an onan5500. Never looked back.

As far as no room for gas. Very likely you can have a belly tank w fuel station added under side of trailer. Best to mount as close to axles as possible.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
My toy hauler has a 5500 onan. I don't plan on dry camping much in the new trailer,
the generator is more of a back up in case the power goes out at the River.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Bought a new 5th wheel.
https://www.niemeyers.com/product/new-2019-heartland-bighorn-3160-elite-968891-5

It doesn't come with a generator, so I have a question. Trailer is 50amp.
I plan on buying (2) 2200 watt gas generators. If I order a generator from the dealer, it would have to be propane. No place for a gas tank, so that's out.

50-to-2-30amp.jpg
yamaha-EF2200i-S-4-T.jpg

I believe you would have VAC phase issues trying to do it this way. I wouldnt recommend it. Get a larger portable generator or have one installed would be my suggestion

rush1

Reaction score
Talk to a Cummins dealler that works on motorhomes and ask them how many rv's they have come in with electrical issues from people running their rv's on these little generators, before you do this make sure you have enough power to power everything, my wife will run everything at once without thinking twice about power.

Singleton

Reaction score
my trailer electrical rules
1 - wired my inverter so it has 2 interior and 1 exterior outlets (all other outlets require power or gen) - these are used when traveling (refrig, etc) and then movies at night for the kid
2 - when using the little Honda 2000 - no AC and no Microwave
3 - fire up the Onan 5500 EFI to use AC’s and Microwave
4 - when plugged in @ home (no AC or Microwave) - working on getting a 30/50 amp outlet wired at the house

my advise, get a generator big enough to power the trailer, or 2 small ones with the correct cable.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
Don't use that cord. if you want to get two smaller generators, get something like a Honda, Yamaha, Predator or Champion that will allow you to use their cord to connect two of them together. If I were you, I would not go that route, I would look at a larger Champion 3100W with remote start. I had one, really liked it... actually better than my built in Onan 4000. with that unit you can safely run your AC, microwave and other small appliances at the same time.

I once had both smaller Yamahas in parallel, they worked great too, but I like the single Champion 3100W the best. Larger, but still small enough to move around and with two people, easy to lift in the bed of a truck. Was a quiet unit.

50-to-2-30amp.jpg
yamaha-EF2200i-S-4-T.jpg

[/QUOTE]

X Hoser

Reaction score
Watts divided by volts equals amps. So, the two 2000 watt generators bridged together with the proper parallel wiring will give you 33 amp service. (4000 watt divided by 120 volts). Not enough to supply a 50 amp service. I had (2) 2200 W Honda generators linked together. It would run one AC fine off the 30a outlet. I now have a 6500W generator that I will take with me. Buying a hitch mounted wheel chair cargo carrier with ramp mounted to the rear of the trailer to haul the generator around with me.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Can't help w/ the question, but congrats on the trailer, shes' a beaut!

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
Watts divided by volts equals amps. So, the two 2000 watt generators bridged together with the proper parallel wiring will give you 33 amp service. (4000 watt divided by 120 volts). Not enough to supply a 50 amp service. I had (2) 2200 W Honda generators linked together. It would run one AC fine off the 30a outlet. I now have a 6500W generator that I will take with me. Buying a hitch mounted wheel chair cargo carrier with ramp mounted to the rear of the trailer to haul the generator around with me.

All this said, you are 100% correct, but the big question is does he need 50Amps when dry camping. if he doesn't and just wants to run 1 AC and the basics, a smaller genny will work. If you want to run it all at the same time, yes, all bets are off and you need to go bigger.

X Hoser

Reaction score
All this said, you are 100% correct, but the big question is does he need 50Amps when dry camping. if he doesn't and just wants to run 1 AC and the basics, a smaller genny will work. If you want to run it all at the same time, yes, all bets are off and you need to go bigger.
I agree with you. My problem is I have a wife and grandkids that don't know what a light switch is or why you can't run the AC, two TV's and the microwave all at the same time. LOL! Most of the time dry camping you only need a generator to charge the batteries, maybe watch a tv and maybe run the AC to cool it down a little. I'm overkill for sure with my set-up.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
I agree with you. My problem is I have a wife and grandkids that don't know what a light switch is or why you can't run the AC, two TV's and the microwave all at the same time. LOL! Most of the time dry camping you only need a generator to charge the batteries, maybe watch a tv and maybe run the AC to cool it down a little. I'm overkill for sure with my set-up.

When in doubt, go big! My kids the same way, everything is on.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Going to just get a Cummins Onan 6500 LP Generator. $5653, no tax no delivery charge.
Now I just need someone to do the electrical work...

CO6500.jpg

rrrr

Reaction score
I just remembered I have a NIB generator transfer switch for an RV. I'll look at it tomorrow and see what its capacity is. If it's big enough for your setup, I'll send it your way at a knockdown price. I'm pretty sure it's a 240V 30A, which should work.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Make sure you understand how much propane a generator that size can eat. Propane carries less energy than gasoline, if your gonna run 2 AC units for lengths of time you may be surprised at its consumption.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Make sure you understand how much propane a generator that size can eat. Propane carries less energy than gasoline, if your gonna run 2 AC units for lengths of time you may be surprised at its consumption.
.4 to 1.2 gallons per hour depending on load

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Had a champion 9k portable. It was duel fuel.

On propane it was only 7k and a normal tank would last about 6 hours.

Gas was 9k. On a 3 gallon tank it would last a good 12 to 15 hours.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk