WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

240 turned into a Mandella Long Deck

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Out of respect for other parties involved, a lot of the details and names will be left out of this story. Suffice it to say that many people had a hand in these pictures being possible. I appreciate their help.

My Dad, back in the late 80’s had a big part in the building of this boat. In 97’ or so he sold it to support the needs of the family and it’s changed hands a few times since then. The last owner put in a new motor and restored the boat completely almost 7 years ago. It hasn’t touched water since. I hope to change that.
The sale of my 240 opened an opportunity to get this beauty back home.
Pictured here are 3 beautiful builds that my Dad had a huge part in. I plan to and hope to live worthy of keeping them all in the family and handing them down someday.
And yes, my wife is AMAZING, I keep asking and she keeps saying yes, with a slight eye roll!😂

4A2B16FF-ECF3-4B0E-80F5-F4B174FD8065.jpeg
AF85E2EF-52D1-43B3-B84B-5B6E441A01FB.jpeg
D61833DF-9062-4E05-93E9-9BE7B51116E7.jpeg

fmo24

Reaction score
Love that there is actually a ski tow on this boat 👍

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Love that there is actually a ski tow on this boat 👍

My brother and I learned to ski behind this boat. Brother got so good Dad didn’t shut it down, “grab the rope as it goes by and be ready when the handle gets to you!”

overpriced hallet

Reaction score
hmm pretty sure I’ve seen this before. So many dead giveaways on this boat and trailer that are a dead giveaway. Kudos too you! Nice piece you got there.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Nice that you got your old boat back, I am pretty good friends with the "other parties" and heard the stories from them the other day.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Wow, nice ride! What's the pad in front of the pass seat for?

jmeads

Reaction score
I saw this boat years ago at Carson's shop. The mill work and one off custom machining was amazing. Everything was custom made for the boat and it showed Carson's attention to detail. Please post up some pic's so all can see the craftsmanship that went into building this boat.

FlatNv

Reaction score
Amazing Mandella, congrats on getting it back into the family!

oldschool

Reaction score
That is so cool. Congrats on getting what appears to be a bitchen boat back in your family.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Wow, nice ride! What's the pad in front of the pass seat for?
I would guess for the skier? I used to have them just sit on the v-drive but not real comfortable.
Im guessing for the passenger's feet so they dont get tangled up in the steering cable running along the stringer.

That is the booster seat where I sat when I was a kid. I was the youngest so I sat there a lot, probably wouldn't fit now. the passengers feet went on either side of the person on the booster. The milled aluminium that held the steering cables provided a nice handle for the booster position, feet never came close to the cables.

Funny story, one day heading down south of McIntyre, I think between first and second bridge, we see a young gal stranded on a beach with a couple of guys and a broken down boat. My Dad's driving, of course, and was always willing to rescue a damsel in distress, lol. My brother is passenger and I'm in booster. We pull over and Dad offers her a ride back to camp. I'm hoping my brother will get left on the beach, I'll move to passenger and she could snuggle between my spindly 12 year old legs. She was looking real fine, young 20's in a string bikini, definitely didn't want to leave her with 2 dudes on a beach with nothing more than a broken boat and some beer. Anyhow, she hops on the deck we tell her we'll take her down to their trailer/house whatever. If only I was a bit older and really understood what I was looking at, LOL. Dad puts me on deck, bro stays in passenger and she snuggles into booster. I'm sitting on the deck, legs dangling in over the dash on either side of her, her head is basically between my knees. I'm gripping the bottom side of the dash to keep from falling off the side of the bow or into her lap. We cruise on down river a few miles and got her delivered. My Dad and brother being older and wiser than I were holding in their real feelings of the situation the whole ride. I was oblivious to the potential opportunities around me. For years since we've laughed about the precarious situation we were in and the naivete of a young 12 yo that had a hotties head between his legs.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I also heard you might want to wear ear plugs.

We all wore them every ride back in the day. Dad still got ringing in his ears every night after a day on the river. Totally worth it. I am kind of doubting I'll get my wife to ride in this. However, Mom says she wants one more ride in it. I'll be surprised if that happens too.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
That is the booster seat where I sat when I was a kid. I was the youngest so I sat there a lot, probably wouldn't fit now. the passengers feet went on either side of the person on the booster. The milled aluminium that held the steering cables provided a nice handle for the booster position, feet never came close to the cables.

Funny story, one day heading down south of McIntyre, I think between first and second bridge, we see a young gal stranded on a beach with a couple of guys and a broken down boat. My Dad's driving, of course, and was always willing to rescue a damsel in distress, lol. My brother is passenger and I'm in booster. We pull over and Dad offers her a ride back to camp. I'm hoping my brother will get left on the beach, I'll move to passenger and she could snuggle between my spindly 12 year old legs. She was looking real fine, young 20's in a string bikini, definitely didn't want to leave her with 2 dudes on a beach with nothing more than a broken boat and some beer. Anyhow, she hops on the deck we tell her we'll take her down to their trailer/house whatever. If only I was a bit older and really understood what I was looking at, LOL. Dad puts me on deck, bro stays in passenger and she snuggles into booster. I'm sitting on the deck, legs dangling in over the dash on either side of her, her head is basically between my knees. I'm gripping the bottom side of the dash to keep from falling off the side of the bow or into her lap. We cruise on down river a few miles and got her delivered. My Dad and brother being older and wiser than I were holding in their real feelings of the situation the whole ride. I was oblivious to the potential opportunities around me. For years since we've laughed about the precarious situation we were in and the naivete of a young 12 yo that had a hotties head between his legs.
I figured something unique like that had stories to go with it.!

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
We all wore them every ride back in the day. Dad still got ringing in his ears every night after a day on the river. Totally worth it. I am kind of doubting I'll get my wife to ride in this. However, Mom says she wants one more ride in it. I'll be surprised if that happens too.
Ear plugs work pretty good for the engine noise but not for the whine of the V drive...in my experience. I know Carson said this engine is substantially louder than the last one.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

That is an awesome story and soo cool that the unique pad is there as it was.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
IMG_4787.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
Ear plugs work pretty good for the engine noise but not for the whine of the V drive...in my experience. I know Carson said this engine is substantially louder than the last one.

For reference for those following along......

First engine in the late 80's was 468 with aluminum heads, same intake and 2 big holleys, at 600HP roughly.
New engine is 572 cu. in. with 870HP @ 6500.
Yeah, might be a little louder, LOL.

Backlash

Reaction score
Get your Mom out in that sled while you can!! And it wouldn't be proper to tow it with anything but the C-10! 👍

Tank

Reaction score
I've seen brand new boats that don't look as nice as that thing!

I've learned this is typical of your families toys however. ;) 👍

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I've seen brand new boats that don't look as nice as that thing!

I've learned this is typical of your families toys however. ;) 👍

Thank you sir! And they're not trailer queens either. Taking the Impala this Saturday to Donut Derelicts in Huntington. Truck is close to being done and will do some local cruises and I'll trailer it to some shows throughout the West. Dad taught me to keep things nice and respect what you have. My boys are already seeing the value of that too.

Tank

Reaction score
Thank you sir! And they're not trailer queens either. Taking the Impala this Saturday to Donut Derelicts in Huntington. Truck is close to being done and will do some local cruises and I'll trailer it to some shows throughout the West. Dad taught me to keep things nice and respect what you have. My boys are already seeing the value of that too.
Love that!

I've said it before and I'll say it again....That Impala though! Drooooooooooooooooooooool

obnoxious001

Reaction score
#93 is Steve Stenton (Racey Sr.) driving "Black and Blue"
Are you sure that's not Stenton driving Butch Peterson's #93, Kini Po Po,, that Jack Lynch later owned and actually destroyed here in Parker? Here's a photo of me learning to ski on double's behind Butch's boat. I know he and Steve co-drove boats in various races. Bruce Izatt Sr. in the driver's seat, my brother on the deck observing, my dad in the jacket with "Obler" on the back, and Bruce Izatt Jr with his regular visor. Image quality sucks, taken from a very dirty slide my sister scanned.

263207_2105878778910_162761_n (2).jpg

AzMandella

Reaction score
That was the same color combo of our Mandella that first hit Arrowhead around 1968.
Apricot . Mom picked out the color . Going to be redone in exactly same color and scheem .

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Are you sure that's not Stenton driving Butch Peterson's #93, Kini Po Po,, that Jack Lynch later owned and actually destroyed here in Parker? Here's a photo of me learning to ski on double's behind Butch's boat. I know he and Steve co-drove boats in various races. Bruce Izatt Sr. in the driver's seat, my brother on the deck observing, my dad in the jacket with "Obler" on the back, and Bruce Izatt Jr with his regular visor. Image quality sucks, taken from a very dirty slide my sister scanned.

View attachment 892849

Here's a pic of Butch's boat just before my dad wrecked it in Parker.
15931780805351157327441639377671.jpg

SKIA36

Reaction score

View attachment 892849
Looks like Stenton in the pic, Butch's boats were red, Steves were Blue green metalflake.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
What happened?
Drag racing around sunset. Luckily my mom asked him to wear a life vest...he had never worn one before. Hit a wake and put him upside down. There was a burn through his life vest where the headers landed on his back. Boat was totaled. He spent 6 weeks in the hospital.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Drag racing around sunset. Luckily my mom asked him to wear a life vest...he had never worn one before. Hit a wake and put him upside down. There was a burn through his life vest where the headers landed on his back. Boat was totaled. He spent 6 weeks in the hospital.
Wow! Did he have a full recovery?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Looks like Stenton in the pic, Butch's boats were red, Steves were Blue green metalflake.
Yes, I am aware, and Steve and Butch did co-drive in races. Red can look pretty dark in a B&W image. Headers and intake are different, but could have been a different engine for a race. Numbers look to be the same. I guess Steve and Carson would know for sure.

SKIA36

Reaction score
Yes, I am aware, and Steve and Butch did co-drive in races. Red can look pretty dark in a B&W image. Headers and intake are different, but could have been a different engine for a race. Numbers look to be the same. I guess Steve and Carson would know for sure.
It had a few engine configurations, 427 Chevy and 427 Ford Cammer...

AzMandella

Reaction score
#93 is Steve Stenton (Racey Sr.) driving "Black and Blue"
Not sure who the owner is but Black and Blue II is in Eddies Inboard Marine . When they laid up the hull the fiberglass didn't bond to the wood on the bottom and had air pockets in it . Eddie ground out all the spots and re glassed it . I know the owner worked for Mandella .

Last edited:

SKIA36

Reaction score
Not sure who the owner is but Black and Blue II is in Eddies Inboard Marine . When they laid up the hull the fiberglass didn't bond to the wood on the bottom and had air pockets in it . Eddie ground out all the spots and re glassed it . I know the owner worked for Mandella .
That would be Steve Stenton... He and Lou Brummett were best of friends, Steve laid the boat up himself.

Last edited:

AzMandella

Reaction score
That would be Steve Stenton... He and Lou Brummett were best of friends, Steve laid the boat up himself.
The rigging on that boat is mind boggling . Absolutely beautiful .