WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone ever rent an RV?

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Thinking about renting an RV and hitting the road for 2 or 3 weeks. Sick of sitting at home. Looked on outdoorsy website and found a few. Anywhere else I should look? Anything to watch out for? Thinking a 28ish class C or similar. Thoughts? Takes? Thanks

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
We spent a month in Alaska a few years back, covering everywhere on the Kenai peninsula in Alaska. It was an awesome way to see much of what the state really has to offer. Cruise ships can't get you to the interior, and this way we could go anywhere we wanted any time. Stayed in a few B&B's too so as to get to know the locals.
But for travel closer to home we have had pretty good luck with La Mesa RV for a few weekend trips that we have done.

I believe that it is Winnebago that offers a deal where you can pick up a brand spanking new RV at the factory and the will pay you to drive it to Alaska. It is cheaper for them than shipping them there from the midwest. I'm pretty sure we will try that when I retire, just for the adventure of it.

fmo24

Reaction score
Just make sure to have site reservations. Its hard to find spots
How ave a destination and itinerary and make reservations ahead of time. Keep your kids in mind. Look at @riverbounds Trips.

Meaney77

Reaction score
A buddy of mine just rented a really nice 2018 Class A on Outdoorsey so he could join us at Moabi last week. He got a really nice rig and also negotiated a better rate.

May also try looking on CL.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
We spent a month in Alaska a few years back, covering everywhere on the Kenai peninsula in Alaska. It was an awesome way to see much of what the state really has to offer. Cruise ships can't get you to the interior, and this way we could go anywhere we wanted any time. Stayed in a few B&B's too so as to get to know the locals.
But for travel closer to home we have had pretty good luck with La Mesa RV for a few weekend trips that we have done.

I believe that it is Winnebago that offers a deal where you can pick up a brand spanking new RV at the factory and the will pay you to drive it to Alaska. It is cheaper for them than shipping them there from the midwest. I'm pretty sure we will try that when I retire, just for the adventure of it.

Upper Skilak lake (Kenai River) from Skilak road last summer.

4E04A039-714E-4D78-807E-90C1384319D8.jpeg
B37C3C3D-80FB-46DF-B301-0789BE90BF66.jpeg

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
My engineer today was telling me about Outdoorsy. He rents his trailer out there in the Needles area, and as an owner not a renter so far after over a year says that Outdoorsy is great to deal with.

Turnup

Reaction score
Rvshare.com killer experiences every time 😎 Get a different one every time and it's great and the people have been great.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Thinking about renting an RV and hitting the road for 2 or 3 weeks. Sick of sitting at home. Looked on outdoorsy website and found a few. Anywhere else I should look? Anything to watch out for? Thinking a 28ish class C or similar. Thoughts? Takes? Thanks
This place is down the street from me, but I see that you’re in Phoenix. Maybe it’ll give you some ideas. Or maybe give them a call for somewhere closer to you.

AzMandella

Reaction score
Was looking to rent one two months ago and decided screw it and bought a Class C 2020 Entegra Odessey 25R . Had a sticker price of $118,000 and paid $ 68,000 . Used it twice so far and love it .They were giving them away at that time but now I see they are back up to $ 85-90,000 . We hit it just right

outboard_256

Reaction score
We use to get a bunch of us together and rent one and go to parker with it. Been 15 years since I rented because I bought a few years later but didn't have no problems. I don't remember the cost but splitting it between 6 guys it wasn't expensive.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
I've always used El Monte, decent rates,Often times they will have one way delivery deals to get their coaches to other locations.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
I am renting an RV for the first time over the 4th. Used RVShare. One deal fell through, but I had two other owners contact me via RVShare to say they had a trailer for the dates I was looking for. Been dealing with the with owner I am renting from about adjusting pick-up times and what not. So far the experience has been good.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I think its a great idea.... I did it with wife and two kids aged 8-12 a while back. We'd never done it before and maybe rented it for a week as I recall. Used El Monte RV rentals. Great customer experience.... I was blown away at how minimal the training was since I was a first timer.... and I rented the largest one available.... thing was huge. Terrified driving it home as we were leaving next morning. First turn onto a ramp entering freeway scared the shit outta me as I tapped the brakes trying to get it to slow and then the leaning started as I entered the ramp ... I thought I was gonna flip it, lol. Only took a bit to adjust and driving the open highways is so fun. You gotta do it and nows a great time.... camping and rv areas might be a bit crowded cause everyones thinking the same. Have fun!

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Always rented as I couldn't justify using it just 2-3 weeks out of the year. Rented a 30' back in 1989 from Cruise America and took my Ca family back to my hometown in Tennessee to meet my parents/siblings. Spent 3 weeks in it and it was a blast. Have since rented from El Monte the last few years and have been very satisfied with their rentals.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’m trying to remember the name of the website where people rent their own rv’s to other people. It’s basically a vrbo of rv’s..

We rented one last year to Goto glamis and it worked out great!

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I’m trying to remember the name of the website where people rent their own rv’s to other people. It’s basically a vrbo of rv’s..

We rented one last year to Goto glamis and it worked out great!
Two of the big ones are Outdoorsy and RV Share.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Yes!.... We flew to Nashville TN and had a car pick us at the airport and drive us to our RV rental. 31 foot Hurricane. Then we drove to the downtown area for 4 days and partied. Next we drove to Bristol TN for the Nascar races for the weekend. When we were done we handed them the keys and flew home. Same thing to visit FL and Daytona.. Flew in and grabbed and RV for the week etc...

I have only put gas in an RV doing it this way, I haven't even had to learn how to dump the shitter. 350 bucks for full cleaning and dump services if I remember correctly, best money I ever spent on an RV!

Mike K

Reaction score
Exactly what “ I Was That Guy “ said ... u remember that picture in RDP of that lady holding a sign that said the RV Dealership ripped her off ... they blamed all kinds of damage on her ... BUT ... my personal experience ... film every square inch of that RV ... ESPECIALLY ... underneath !! If you can’t see underneath then drive one side of it up on the curb and then look underneath ... take pictures of everything ...open the hood ... film everything ... look for evidence of a previous boil over ( like white residue all by the overflow reservoir) ... anyway ... I hate to be a downer ... and don’t forget this ... no off road ! So don’t be hooking up your RZR trailer in front of them ... Geez ... I know there a many awesome peeps that rent and all is fantastic ... BUT ... we have heard of many renters that have “new damage revenue “ as a profit department ... sorry for the buzz kill. 🍹

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I’ve rented from Outdoorsy and always had a good experience. As others have mentioned take pictures and make note of any pre-existing damage. The rental includes insurance coverage but you’re on the hook for the deductible which is $1K+.

If you rent a motor home make sure to check the mileage and generator usage limits. Most include a set amount of miles each day and a set amount of hours you can run the generator. Going over on either can get pricey fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wzuber

Reaction score
I think I would add...check all the fluid levels too, radiator, oil, etc, Just to help insure theirs no problems to arise from there too. Best not to assume they've managed it correctly.

wzuber

Reaction score
we rented a trailer a couple years ago. They delivered it to Emma Wood state beach, we met them, they placed it in our chosen spot, It looked and worked great. When we were done we cleaned it up a bit, locked the generator and keys in it and left, they came later that day and retrieved. Worked out bitchen.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Prolly a dumb question but why and how are they going to charge a person for mileage on a pull trailer?

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Prolly a dumb question but why and how are they going to charge a person for mileage on a pull trailer?

Wheel odometers. It’s pretty common in the construction equipment rental industry.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score

I’ve never been charged mileage on a travel trailer. Only on a motor home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motor Boater

Reaction score
So I found one on RVShare and signed it up yesterday. Says the owner has 24hours to accept it so we are just waiting. Tried to get some info from a guy on outdoorsy but they never replied. It’s like buying a car, each owner has different fees, some give you a 100 miles a day free but the rental is more expensive, some charge .20 or .35 a mile but the rental is cheaper. There is hidden charges and fees everywhere.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Wheel odometers. It’s pretty common in the construction equipment rental industry.
OK, so now why would they charge mileage on a pull trailer? What is the diff between 150 miles and 1150 miles on a PULL trailer? Rubber from the tires????? I was thinking about a small trailer but they say 150 miles a day or less, shit that don't get one very far away and then they're saying 35 cents a mile. F$ck that.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
OK, so now why would they charge mileage on a pull trailer? What is the diff between 150 miles and 1150 miles on a PULL trailer? Rubber from the tires????? I was thinking about a small trailer but they say 150 miles a day or less, shit that don't get one very far away and then they're saying 35 cents a mile. F$ck that.

Maintenance schedules on wear items is the biggest reason it’s done.

Every time you rent a trailer the guy says they’re just using it around the neighborhood. Inevitably it’ll come back with a thousand + miles used.

If you’re the next guy renting it you’ll want to be sure we serviced it using a thousand mile maintenance schedule and not “around the neighborhood” maintenance schedule.

There is usually two ways the rental is charged. Low base cost + mileage or a higher flat rate and no mileage that factors all costs.

Wheel odometers should be standard for maintenance regardless of how the rental rate is charged.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Outdoorsy and RV share : have had good experiences with both.

Share my coach has some rough RV’s, many aren’t cleaned too well between trips.

I had a bad experience off craigslist but I blame myself: last minute toyhauler, guy had tires all 20lbs below limits, leaking water tank.
I made it work and got a discount after pointing everything out. He replaced a captains chair with a plastic folding chair lol!

I rented from Desert rentals unlimited (Can Am). He now has 4 SXS’s 3 Toy haulers, quads, one Class A and a chapparal deck boat for rent. He’s out of chino Hills...