WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CL Scam?

guest hs

Reaction score
I posted some boat parts on CL guy says he will mail me a cashiers check and send a shipper. I think it’s a scam so I ask the guy to call me which he does and says he wants the parts. He tells me he needs my address to mail the cashiers check to. I tell him I will text it to him. Is this a scam or not and if it is what’s having my address going to hurt giving him Incase it’s not?

Your ad here

Reaction score
Let me guess, hes adding a few bucks to your asking price in that check for the trouble of getting it ready for the shipper or to give to the shipper? It's a scam. The shipper is on in to and could be the scammer themself.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I have a couple checks back in the day to Chuck Norris and Billy Badass. Give em a fake name and have them spend the UPS money.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Why do people even ask anymore? That scam is as worn out as the Dead Nigerian prince email.

Why do people even ask anymore? That scam is as worn out as the Dead Nigerian prince email.

Ron, when I reed this stuff I just shake my head.
I have never made a profit on extra parts I have and I don't want to.
I feel I have been blessed. I cannot take it with me.
If it is a young boater with a family new to the boating addiction we have, I give the item away.
I don't trust internet deals and never will.

floatn turd

Reaction score
I posted some boat parts on CL guy says he will mail me a cashiers check and send a shipper. I think it’s a scam so I ask the guy to call me which he does and says he wants the parts. He tells me he needs my address to mail the cashiers check to. I tell him I will text it to him. Is this a scam or not and if it is what’s having my address going to hurt giving him Incase it’s not?

Tell him to send the check and you will send the parts once the money in safely in your Bank.

Zero risk.

Taboma

Reaction score
Tell him to send the check and you will send the parts once the money in safely in your Bank.

Zero risk.

I read posts like this and conclude I've been living the last 15-20 years in a cave --- I've never bought anything on Craig's list and maybe one thing on Ebay (Years ago when I had PayPal, before they had a breach).

So when I read the thread title, I thought, hey cool, maybe I'll learn something here. Nope, just they predictable, " I'm smart and you're an idiot" responses.

So why the need to respond with an obvious self-glorifying put down, " Why do people even ask anymore? That scam is as worn out as the Dead Nigerian prince email. " ??

Why not just answer the poster's question ??

So I admit it --- I'm a fuckin idiot when it comes to purchasing in today's market place, and NO I don't have Paypal, so yes, I was interested to read the responses hoping to learn something.
Well I did, I was reminded not to post threads on RDP asking questions.

CobraDave

Reaction score

Zero risk.

You can cash a cashiers check and it can be safely in your account. Then it is cancelled later and they remove the funds from your account after you have sent the parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
You can cash a cashiers check and it can be safely in your account. Then it is cancelled later and they remove the funds from your account after you have sent the parts.

OK, so is there a period of time ---- a few days ? --- after which it's cleared and can no longer be cancelled ? Is something like PayPal the only way to receive funds, seems like today everything is susceptible to being a scam.

CobraDave

Reaction score
OK, so is there a period of time ---- a few days ? --- after which it's cleared and can no longer be cancelled ? Is something like PayPal the only way to receive funds, seems like today everything is susceptible to being a scam.

Yes I believe there is a period of time. But bottom line. This is a scam. Tell him to send cash or bring it. You could try Apple Pay. Then you would have a decent phone number for him. A wire is much more secure.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score

The only way and I do mean ONLY way is if the check is from a major bank you take it to their branch and cash it. They will veridy the funds are available, usually call the account holder feom their records and verify they wrote the check, and then provide you cash money.

Sherpa

Reaction score
request a UPS postal money order........ only........ those are good.

NicPaus

Reaction score
If you plan to buy and sell a lot. Set up a second account and as soon as money is transferred into it transfer it to another. Never leave a balance. I got burned yesrs ago by a cashiers check even after verifying the funds at Chase. Went back to Chase and they said the guy canceled it cost him 25$. Last cashiers check i got few weeks ago was from the credit union in person. With a personal name on cashier check they can cancel it. If credit union issues it the buyer cannot cancel it.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
But unless you have a separate account established for such business, aren't you revealing your account # ? This is why I only pay for work around my home in cash, I don't like handing out my checking account #.

I never give out any of my info online period. No names, telephone #, location or anything. Use proxy servers, free phone # And email addresses.

varmit86

Reaction score
I think they offer more than asking so they can get one cashier's check for a set amount and duplicate it. Cash the original and send out all the duplicates.
On the paypal if they use a credit card to pay paypal they have several billing cycles to dispute the purchase.
Anyeay your left holding the bag and your bamk also gets the returned check fee so where's rhere motivation to make this problem go away?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Total scam, move on to the next one. Or, tell him your brother happens to be in whatever city he says he's in and you'll send him over for the cash. Watch him balk at it, my scammer did. I got the check, but never deposited it.