WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Vertigo.. or?? anyone ever get it??

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
yesterday I was in Smiths with my daughter shopping and I was chewing on ice (not that it matters but?).

All of a sudden I felt a kinda “rush” go through my head and I got really disorientated.. and at first thought I might pass out but the whole world got kinda “wobbly” for lack of a better term.. I just kinda leaned on a rack and it went away in about ten seconds..

Later I had a guy from Gatorstep over here with Griner and I went to hand Griner a beer and it happened again. Sat down and just waited it out..

Than it happened again and got progressively worse where I could barely walk to my bedroom without falling over (equilibrium was all over the place)..

I went to bed and it lasted for awhile.. kinda Hard to explain but almost felt likeI was in a boat on the ocean or something.

It was a coin flip on going to the hospital last night. I decided against it because that’s where the covid lives..

I didn’t do much yesterday but I did sit outside for most of the day watching the kids and neighbor kids play in the pool..

I have gotten heat stroke a couple times in my life and am prone to dehydration because of that. I didn’t think I got that hot, and was drinking water all day..

Possible dehydration? I took my blood pressure and it was high but not crazy high (it’s always flippin high.. 169/101).

Drank a liquid IV went o bed and woke up and feel fine. I’m going to call one of those IV services and have them come to the house this am..

Has anyone ever experienced this before?

RD

Holy hell...169/101???
Dude.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Glad you made the decision to go. I had a similar BP issue last fall and went to ER to have testing done. Clean bill of health but life pressures required a more disciplined life/outlook approach. No meds for now. Good Luck Bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sintax

Reaction score
Jan has bouts with it now and then.....even driving home a few weeks ago she almost blacked out as I was going around a bend.
She often times will lay down and do what's called the Epley Manuever which helps realign stuff inside your ear.

yea, thats what my chick was telling me to do. I didnt get too crazy with it, but i did do it for a couple days.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I hope all goes well at the hospital! 👍

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
If you're not on BP meds, it is very likely your Dr will start you on them. If you are already on BP meds they need to be adjusted. They're not the end of the world. It may take a while for the Dr to find the right meds and dosages. Consider your episodes of yesterday to be about a half dozen very clear warnings. Glad you weren't driving when these episodes occurred, particularly with your kids in the car.

BTW - I have to give the infamous RDP Medical Review Board a little credit here. Lol. Seriously though, most said go see a Dr and that is definitely the right thing to do.

Reactions: DWC

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Dumb that down. What's that ?
Sounds exactly like what Dave's describing.
Overview
A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is a temporary period of symptoms similar to those of a stroke. A TIA usually lasts only a few minutes and doesn't cause permanent damage.

Often called a ministroke, a transient ischemic attack may be a warning. About 1 in 3 people who has a transient ischemic attack will eventually have a stroke, with about half occurring within a year after the transient ischemic attack.

A transient ischemic attack can serve as both a warning of a future stroke and an opportunity to prevent it.

Symptoms
Transient ischemic attacks usually last a few minutes. Most signs and symptoms disappear within an hour, though rarely symptoms may last up to 24 hours. The signs and symptoms of a TIA resemble those found early in a stroke and may include sudden onset of:

• Weakness, numbness or paralysis in your face, arm or leg, typically on one side of your body
  • Slurred or garbled speech or difficulty understanding others
  • Blindness in one or both eyes or double vision
  • Vertigo or loss of balance or coordination
You may have more than one TIA, and the recurrent signs and symptoms may be similar or different depending on which area of the brain is involved.

When to see a doctor
Since TIAs most often occur hours or days before a stroke, seeking medical attention emergently following a possible TIA is essential. Seek immediate medical attention if you suspect you've had a transient ischemic attack. Prompt evaluation and identification of potentially treatable conditions may help you prevent a stroke.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Dave I had this exact same thing happen to me a couple years ago. I was standing in my kitchen and literally collapsed from it. When I collapsed I slammed my head on the kitchen counter and busted my head to the point that you could see my skull. They had to stitch me up pretty good.

The cause of my condition was medications I had been prescribed. The combination of medicine was causing rapid changes to my blood pressure which ultimately lead to me passing out. Luckily it happened while I was in my home and not while I was driving or doing something else that could have produced a deadly outcome.

Go to the Doctor. Don’t f*ck around with this. As others have stated these conditions can cause strokes which happen in an instant.

Duramax

Reaction score
Damn.....this is scary stuff. Good luck Dave

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
Overview
A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is a temporary period of symptoms similar to those of a stroke. A TIA usually lasts only a few minutes and doesn't cause permanent damage.

Transient ischemic attacks usually last a few minutes. Most signs and symptoms disappear within an hour, though rarely symptoms may last up to 24 hours. The signs and symptoms of a TIA resemble those found early in a stroke and may include sudden onset of:

• Weakness, numbness or paralysis in your face, arm or leg, typically on one side of your body
  • Slurred or garbled speech or difficulty understanding others
  • Blindness in one or both eyes or double vision
  • Vertigo or loss of balance or coordination
You may have more than one TIA, and the recurrent signs and symptoms may be similar or different depending on which area of the brain is involved.

HOLY CHIT....YIKES
I experience theses symtoms twice a week maybe three. My blindness symptom I can only describe as water in my swim goggles. It usually starts at the bottom moving upwards with distorted (double/triple) vision lasting about one minute. I'll tilt my head down and slight left to be able to see straight transitioning head tilt to upward right as the "water in the swin goggles" effect moves low to high. Makes a bicth to drive. Oh my.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
There are several types of Vertigo

I get benign proxismal vertigo and it f'n sucks. It is an inner ear problem (crystal gets dislodged in your ear canal) it makes your brain think you are moving, which you are not, eyes twitch (it is pretty much a short circuit between your brain and your eyes at that point) no meds etc, the only thing you can do is some maneuver exercises to get the "crystal" back in place. Sometime it can last a week or so, sometimes months. The doc told me there is nothing I can do about it. It mainly happens when you get out of bed, or lay down.

There is another type of vertigo that is on going, that you can get medication for.

Your blood pressure is def very high, you're doing the right thing by going in to get checked out. Grab some baby asprins for the time being

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
There are several types of Vertigo

I get benign proxismal vertigo and it f'n sucks. It is an inner ear problem (crystal gets dislodged in your ear canal) it makes your brain think you are moving, which you are not, eyes twitch (it is pretty much a short circuit between your brain and your eyes at that point) no meds etc, the only thing you can do is some maneuver exercises to get the "crystal" back in place. Sometime it can last a week or so, sometimes months. The doc told me there is nothing I can do about it. It mainly happens when you get out of bed, or lay down.
I had that one, lasted 2-3 weeks I think.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Dave I had this exact same thing happen to me a couple years ago. I was standing in my kitchen and literally collapsed from it. When I collapsed I slammed my head on the kitchen counter and busted my head to the point that you could see my skull. They had to stitch me up pretty good.

The cause of my condition was medications I had been prescribed. The combination of medicine was causing rapid changes to my blood pressure which ultimately lead to me passing out. Luckily it happened while I was in my home and not while I was driving or doing something else that could have produced a deadly outcome.

Go to the Doctor. Don’t f*ck around with this. As others have stated these conditions can cause strokes which happen in an instant.

Ive done that twice. Passed out. Hit my head. Its no fun to wake up on the floor with your face covered in blood wondering where you are. I did lots of tests. Wore a heart monitor for a week. Turns out when Im laying down sleeping, my blood pressure gets low, if I get up too fast I can pass out. I have to sit up first. Mostly at night before I get up to pee or whatever. Thats when it happens to me.

parker guy

Reaction score
Dave, hope all is well...sounds to me your dehydrated...better safe then sorry

BingerFang

Reaction score
Hope all is well Dave, keep us posted. Don’t take your health for granted.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
HOLY CHIT....YIKES
I experience theses symtoms twice a week maybe three. My blindness symptom I can only describe as water in my swim goggles. It usually starts at the bottom moving upwards with distorted (double/triple) vision lasting about one minute. I'll tilt my head down and slight left to be able to see straight transitioning head tilt to upward right as the "water in the swin goggles" effect moves low to high. Makes a bicth to drive. Oh my.

Q4,
vision trouble is key indicator of a Stroke.
Get to the Doc.
I've been there. Its no fun trust me. 4 days in the hospital. Worst 4 days in my life.
CT scans. CAT scans. 3 diffrrent brain mri's.
3rd 1, ohh there it is....

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
Ive done that twice. Passed out. Hit my head. Its no fun to wake up on the floor with your face covered in blood wondering where you are. I did lots of tests. Wore a heart monitor for a week. Turns out when Im laying down sleeping, my blood pressure gets low, if I get up too fast I can pass out. I have to sit up first. Mostly at night before I get up to pee or whatever. Thats when it happens to me.

I've done this twice. Mine is while eating. They say that my resting heart rate and pressure are already low. Add a cocktail, sitting with knees bent and blood trying to go upward. Add food and blood rushing to the stomach during digestion and out I go. It's the weirdest thing. More aware now, sometimes I just get up from the table and walk around. Good to go.

Blood pressure is not something to mess with, that is for sure.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I've done this twice. Mine is while eating. They say that my resting heart rate and pressure are already low. Add a cocktail, sitting with knees bent and blood trying to go upward. Add food and blood rushing to the stomach during digestion and out I go. It's the weirdest thing. More aware now, sometimes I just get up from the table and walk around. Good to go.

In fact when I did the treadmill test they had to crank it up and keep me running longer than normal because they had a hard time getting my rate high enough.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
In fact when I did the treadmill test they had to crank it up and keep me running longer than normal because they had a hard time getting my rate high enough.

same here I passed the treadmill with flying colors and 3 weeks later had open heart surgery

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

I've been told more than once that everyone should sit on the side of the bed before getting up, at least for a couple of seconds. I myself sit there for the count of 15.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

Ive done it from the kitchen table as well. It happens a couple of times a year. I usually get dizzy and don’t pass out. The times I’ve gone out have been bad. I hit my head hard, once left a nasty scar on my forehead. The other cracked my head open in the back of my head. Its scary as fuck when it happens.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
same here I passed the treadmill with flying colors and 3 weeks later had open heart surgery
Wow, how did they discover the issue? I have been good since. I have felt it coming on a few other times, but I just get up and take a walk to get my heart rate up and let the blood flow. It goes away almost immediately.

riverroyal

Reaction score
try to avoid any long stays in the hospital there dave, just sayin...If you need anything Im in town starting tonight. we have no boat plans, lounging around.

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
Q4,
vision trouble is key indicator of a Stroke.
Get to the Doc.
I've been there. Its no fun trust me. 4 days in the hospital. Worst 4 days in my life.
CT scans. CAT scans. 3 diffrrent brain mri's.
3rd 1, ohh there it is....

Copy that

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... Get to a doctor immediately you may end up in the big tube... maybe necessary for an MRI of your inner ear and MRI of your brain and neck ...there is a possibility that the situation is vascular meaning blood flow to the brain may be compromised...Possibly heart related ...also extreme situation may be that C1 and C2 in your spinal column have become misaligned(that requires a NUCCA chiropractor)...

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Wow, how did they discover the issue? I have been good since. I have felt it coming on a few other times, but I just get up and take a walk to get my heart rate up and let the blood flow. It goes away almost immediately.

Went and had a Angio after that and they said I had the widowmaker and made me stay in the hospital until surgery. A new valve and 2 bypasses. All good now valve is good for 20 years.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Felt similar one day going into work. Instead of punching in I walked into a compressor room and stood there wondering why I was there. A few minutes later sat at my work bench when people started coming up to me saying I didn't look so good. Turned out to be A-fib. After many tests with them saying I was fine....5 months later I had a heart attack.
Nothing to mess with even under the eye of professionals.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
Went and had a Angio after that and they said I had the widowmaker and made me stay in the hospital until surgery. A new valve and 2 bypasses. All good now valve is good for 20 years.
Glad all is well

HitIt

Reaction score
Probably COVID. Maybe COVID-20. They are going to put you on a vent. Gotta keep those $$$ flowing.

But really, hope you are well.

Last edited:

traquer

Reaction score
Good luck with the visit Dave! I got scared in a similar way a few years back, was just a combination of stress and meds interacting with vitamins and smoking. Now my BP is normal. Made the transition to a healthier life a no-brainer and was not difficult at all. Warnings like this are a blessing, not everyone gets them! My family has a great health coach and health resources, feel free to PM me when you're ready.

JBZ

Reaction score
Hey Dave
Is it positional?
If you move your head side to side or front to back
If so it is called BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo)
This is the dislodged crystals in the inner ear.

At the doctor they will move your head in certain positions to test for this.

As stated before the Dizzy Doc (Dr Ian Purcell) is the best Dr for Vertigo.
He has a machine that they put you in to move the crystals into the correct canal
He also has all the equipment to do proper testing for vertigo and brain issues.
He is in San Diego.

If you need more info on Dr Ian Purcell let me know. My wife is on his short list.

Last edited:

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I've been told more than once that everyone should sit on the side of the bed before getting up, at least for a couple of seconds. I myself sit there for the count of 15.

I'm under 40 and I got out of bed once to go wizz and once I got into the bathroom I passed out and fell down. Luckily didnt hurt anything, just a little sore. I've never had any health issues, I dont smoke, drink, not overweight, etc. I figured I sprang out of bed too fast. Was extremely weird though.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I had destination hydration come by and she was saying all this could be because of dehydration.. high blood pressure and even the symptoms
Originally described..

I took an aspirin this morning and my blood pressure went down, but now it’s on the rise and quickly.

last checked two minutes ago was 179/117, so I’m off to the hospital to get this under control.

tunnel vision

Reaction score
I had destination hydration come by and she was saying all this could be because of dehydration.. high blood pressure and even the symptoms
Originally described..

I took an aspirin this morning and my blood pressure went down, but now it’s on the rise and quickly.

last checked two minutes ago was 179/117, so I’m off to the hospital to get this under control.
Run DON'T walk!

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I hope you're OK and it's only a temporary thing you're going through

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I hope you're OK and it's only a temporary thing you're going through

The random chick from the hydration place told him not to worry, it is probably all because of dehydration. Then she asked for RD's credit card to pay for hydrating him while he sat there with a brain aneurysm receiving said hydration.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My English teacher in high school got it and missed almost a month for it. Turns out it apparently makes a chicks tits bigger as well..... Who knew. Well at least that was the story she was giving us for missing all that time. I guess she didn't think anybody would notice her tits go from a B to a D during that time.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Run DON'T walk!

Not sure if exercise is the right thing to do at the moment. If needed call 911 Dave!!!

My English teacher in high school got it and missed almost a month for it. Turns out it apparently makes a chicks tits bigger as well..... Who knew. Well at least that was the story she was giving us for missing all that time. I guess she didn't think anybody would notice her tits go from a B to a D during that time.

Pics or it didn’t happen. :aniteef:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Not sure if exercise is the right thing to do at the moment. If needed call 911 Dave!!!

Pics or it didn’t happen. :aniteef:
Lol! That was 16 years ago. No such things as smart phones and pictures wasn't something I was really big on at the time.