WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

D

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ecm or bcm power relay under hood. Try swapping another relay. That or loose power feed.. as stupid as it sounds, shake the fuse box under hood. Good luck, wish I were closer to take a power probe.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Ecm or bcm power relay under hood. Try swapping another relay. That or loose power feed.. as stupid as it sounds, shake the fuse box under hood. Good luck, wish I were closer to take a power probe.

will pass that along. Thank you

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
I'm the broken down chump in Havasu lol

Unfortunately there's more to it than that. The motor ran up to about 4500 rpms before loosing horse power at about 60mph. I only noticed by seeing the dash as my stereo was up and couldn't hear engine noise. Stereo ran hard until I turned it down which generally would be the first indicator I get with any power issues. Once I let off the throttle the motor seemingly stalled out and I lost brakes and steering. Fired the truck back up and got to a safe spot but the motor sounds extremely rough but no power issues. Temp was staying up around 260 and oil pressure bottomed out.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Simple shit first...wiggle the battery cables. EVERYTHING doesn't just shut down unless you lose the battery connection.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
I pulled the stereo power wire off and have started twice since with the same problems.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
Simple shit first...wiggle the battery cables. EVERYTHING doesn't just shut down unless you lose the battery connection.
First thing I did was check and establish good electrical.

Riverbottom

Reaction score

Bad ground, clean and tighten cables first. lbhsbz is correct it doesn't just shut down ...

How old is the battery ? In the Az heat I only get about two summers out of a battery. Had them run fine and then short out a cell and done.
Good luck where are you stuck at ?

4Waters

Reaction score
I'm the broken down chump in Havasu lol

Unfortunately there's more to it than that. The motor ran up to about 4500 rpms before loosing horse power at about 60mph. I only noticed by seeing the dash as my stereo was up and couldn't hear engine noise. Stereo ran hard until I turned it down which generally would be the first indicator I get with any power issues. Once I let off the throttle the motor seemingly stalled out and I lost brakes and steering. Fired the truck back up and got to a safe spot but the motor sounds extremely rough but no power issues. Temp was staying up around 260 and oil pressure bottomed out.
260° on the temp? It over heated, those vortec 350 heads don't like heat

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
High temps, no oil pressure or little pressure, not good. With the motor being noisy, NFB...No F'ing Bueno. Pull the dipstick and see what you have. If it has stripper glitter, you're done...if it has a milkshake, same deal. If she lost oil pressure, crank can turn into a lathe on the bearings. The oil will smell burnt as well.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_190025892.jpg
    IMG_20200706_190025892.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 198

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Had a 98. Battery caused the negative cable to corrode down below where it couldn’t be seen. Give it a wiggle and see if the voltage drop.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
Bad ground, clean and tighten cables first. lbhsbz is correct it doesn't just shut down ...

How old is the battery ? In the Az heat I only get about two summers out of a battery. Had them run fine and then short out a cell and done.
Good luck where are you stuck at ?
All wires are tight and clean. I swapped out an optima from the boat that's a week old and fully charged. The motor seemed to dropped rpms too low and killed over. It's been running rough at idle for a couple days but only at idle and rmps dropping low.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
Robinsons Automotive is THE only go to place in Havasu. Darrel can likely have your problem solved in very short order. We're on our 5th Burb now. Your problem does sound electrical.
I know Darrel is slammed with work right now and was just trying to get off the highway as quick as possible. If they tell me it's something major it will be headed to Darrel's shop for whatever is needed.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
Could I have engine knock or valve noise with an electrical issue? I'm having trouble with that along with the engine temp and oil pressure to say it's electrical. I was not over heated and believe the temperature spike right before I shut it down.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Robinsons Automotive is THE only go to place in Havasu. Darrel can likely have your problem solved in very short order. We're on our 5th Burb now. Your problem does sound electrical.

he knows darrel personally and would have it there if possible

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Could I have engine knock or valve noise with an electrical issue? I'm having trouble with that along with the engine temp and oil pressure to say it's electrical. I was not over heated and believe the temperature spike right before I shut it down.

maybe just misfiring with electrical going whacky?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Justin. You can text Darrel. You have his cell if not text me and i will send it to you

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
Appreciate the help! Hopefully it's an electrical issue and I can get back on the road in the AM. Definitely why I'm handling the boat stereo myself!

Havazoo

Reaction score
If battery and alternator check out, replace your battery cables.
Battery cables are my bet. Had this happen on two different Tahoe’s

red ant

Reaction score
nope

red ant

Reaction score
Do you have a code reader handy? Plug it in and see what codes are thrown. Check your oil. like was mentioned above.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
If battery and alternator check out, replace your battery cables.
Battery cables are my bet. Had this happen on two different Tahoe’s
I've had electrical problems with s10s in the past. I don't trust GM electrical at all.
Do you have a code reader handy? Plug it in and see what codes are thrown. Check your oil. like was mentioned above.
It's at the shop for the night and I don't have a reader but wouldn't mind grabbing something to keep on hand. It would be nice to have something to change the shift points a bit🤔

I didn't check the oil as I was unraveling at the time and not in problem solving mode. That'll be my first task if it is something they don't catch and fix first.

It's currently at Accurate Auto Care here in Havasu.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
If voltage is low, the computer gets stupid quick. Ground or B+, can cause missfires, and gauges to wack out to. Hopefully that, and not engine meltdown.

Like Monkey said, the control relays won't work if the system voltage is under 10 volts.

I'll be back in the shop tomorrow if you need some assistance, talk is cheap, repairs are not anymore.

I'd be happy to give you a gut check on the diagnosis.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
Apparently the motor is toast and they believe it to be the camshaft.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
If the motor is dead I have a take out from my sons 99. Gm crate engine with 5k max miles.
What are you looking to get for the engine and what size motor?

RCDave

Reaction score
Probably spun a bearing....Happened to me twice on GM motors. A 4.3L V6 and and 5.7L V8. Hence why I will never buy another GM product

Wedgy

Reaction score
Bummed to hear. 94 S10 Blazer 4.3 V6, Spun a bearng on 395 in summer. Oil pressure 0, able to maintain 35, Motor's toast anyway, 15 miles to Victorville. 105 outside?F it. Wifey wakes up being passed by the Semi I blew the motor passing.

"Hey! Why are we going so slow? And what's all that noise?"

"That, my dear, is the sound of mechanical failure... "

Good wrenching Joe!!

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Apparently the motor is toast and they believe it to be the camshaft.

Camshaft failure on a vortec roller cam>? On a motor that has been properly maintained?

Unusual to say the least. Can you give us their diagnosis? Low oil pressure? Misfires? Clearly seen glitter on the dipstick to evidence a mechanical failure?

I have seen a lot of "engine failures" attributed to a failed cap and rotor, since they are a fucking bitch to change.

Last time you tuned it up? Did you use Delco parts or aftermarket shit?

Lots of questions lol. I want to hear they did a compression test, etc or have some conclusive facts..like a mechanical gauge to determine low oil pressure from wiped out bearings etc.

After all, that is what you pay for in a diagnosis, facts...not guesses.

RCDave

Reaction score
Bummed to hear. 94 S10 Blazer 4.3 V6, Spun a bearng on 395 in summer. Oil pressure 0, able to maintain 35, Motor's toast anyway, 15 miles to Victorville. 105 outside?F it. Wifey wakes up being passed by the Semi I blew the motor passing.

"Hey! Why are we going so slow? And what's all that noise?"

"That, my dear, is the sound of mechanical failure... "

Good wrenching Joe!!

Sounds extremely familiar, except my S-10 truck was loafing coming into barstow. All the sudden the motor sounded like a diesel with the wife asking, wtf is that?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
What are you looking to get for the engine and what size motor?

It is a 350 vortec cpi motor out of a 99 denali. Gm crate motor with less than 5000 miles, removed when truck around it turned to shit. Maybe around 650 or offer

red ant

Reaction score
Just because you take your vehicle in to have oil changes unfortunately does not mean it was done right. WTF you say??? Maybe I am a bit crazy or my husband who is an excellent auto mechanic change the oil every 3k miles and the filter too. Have you seen how small the filters are now days? My husband takes care of all our vehicles. If you take the vehicle to one of those cheap places your oil may or may not have been being topped off and the filter???? I know it is a PIA for some to check your oil, but you should often. If your oil looks dirty right after you paid your hard earned money for oil and filter change, you probably got screwed. Some of the aholes are putting the filters on so tight you can't spin them off. Do you think the quick lube places are going to mess with trying to get the filter off??