WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thoughts on living at the river /Arizona full time..

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
We are new to River Dave Place... Thank you and hello everyone!!!!!!

My husband and I spend a lot of time at the river. He has always wanted to buy a house and retire at the river.. Or just get out of California.. Well it looks like another of his dreams may come true. The other was the Eliminator Daytona we just bought.. My husband and I are looking at a lot of land for sale to build a custom home on the river in Mohave Valley. We are trying to get the pros and cons of living on the water / Arizona full time.. We have thought about Havasu, but we really would like to wake up and watch the river go by.

We currently live in Orange County CA. All but one of our kids are grown and out of the house. The one that is left will come with us to get her nursing degree in AZ. My husband is retired now and I have another 2 years. We were hoping to have the house built by then.

We have a really great friendship with our current neighbors. You will always see one of us walking to another house to BBQ or just hang out. We are hoping to possibly have the same in AZ. Do anyone know or is there a way I can find out if our neighbors are full time or just weekenders? The lots we are looking at are on Dike Road either at the Needles bridge or about 1/2 mile up river right past the palm tree house...

Aside from playing on the water what do you all do for fun? Are there nice restaurants close by? Movie theaters etc etc....

Also looking for a hospital with an great oncology center..

Thanks in advanced for what ever information you can give..

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the madness :cool:

I would guess most people on that part of the river are more vacation homes
The area up in the BHC (bullhead) area are more full time peeps
The only real way to find out about neighbors is to ask around
If i had FU money and was buying and building a house on the river
I would buy in Arizona no matter what !!!!!!!!!!!!!
other than that
the only issues i see being on the water are
not having a beach on the water
a dock to chill on
a fishing pole and a cold beer
What else could be a problem :D too many lake lice :p and rollbar boats

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Welcome from another member in the process of moving "full time" to the river from OC. We've finished building our new home in Havasu which is becoming our primary, but are keeping a house in Huntington Beach. We didn't consider riverfront property but went for a great lake view from southcentral LHC. Medical and insurance are something we're researching now, I've heard both good and bad stories about the local services.

Best of luck in your search.

Ladsm

Reaction score
Hello

We just bought in Bullhead and the plan is to move part time or full time depending on work situation next year. Southern California weather is great but having no mortgage in AZ is better.

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcomes...... We looked at buying a house in Havasu not on the water, but for us that was the whole point to moving to the river, being able to sit on the patio and watch the water go by. I guess I am nervous going from a big city to a small town.. I already accepted the 200 mile drive for treatments, but that will give us time to come visit our friends and family still in CA. Living in Downtown Fullerton we are walking distance from some really good restaurants.. What are some of the nice places you like to eat?? How is the sushi??

78Southwind

Reaction score
A good way to see if your future neighbors are full-time residents (besides just knocking on the door) is to find their parcel number by looking it up on www.zillow.com with the address. If Zillow has it listed then search with the parcel number in the Mohave County - Real Property Parcel Search. http://www.mohavecounty.us/ContentPage.aspx?id=111&cid=869 On the Mohave County site it will show the site address and the mailing address, if the addresses are the same it's more likely that they are full-times. I know it's kind of stalker-ish but it is public information.:eek:

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

We bought in 2015 north end, older home but love it! It’s simple clean and bright. It has simplified our lives, we are now trying to get rid of all the stuff /clutter we have in San Diego.

We like the quiet and slow pace and no traffic. During winter there is a ton to do. Seems like there is always some activities going on. We do the off road deal - jeep and sxs, we like to cook and grill /smoke /BBQ and entertain and, as for fine dining - the dining is fine! Havasu has a few nice restaurants, we haven’t been to all of them yet. Vegas isn’t that far away if your looking for more upscale.

We do plan to retire out in Havasu, within the next 5-7 years, we have been saying that for a couple years now.

Neighbors and making new friends is a lot of fun it just takes time.

The water up in that area is cold, we like to go to warmer water which is south.

Have fun enjoy!

TCHB

Reaction score
We have been here 5 years full time and still enjoy it. I would not live in Havasu without a pool!!!!!

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Havasu there is plenty to do and events every weekend in winter summer time you just go on vaction

DWC

Reaction score
I’d say that stretch is my favorite from Laughlin to Havasu Springs. A place on the river watching Don JOHNSON or Bullhead Bully fly by is a dream.
If you want night life or a regular group of friends it’s probably not the place. Choices to eat in Fort Mohave or Needles are limited at best. Havasu wins hands down if that’s the goal. Food is 100x better and gets better every year. More options if “extended” family wants to visit.
PS. I would hope there’s no way to go on-line to see if people live there part time or permanent.

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
A good way to see if your future neighbors are full-time residents (besides just knocking on the door) is to find their parcel number by looking it up on www.zillow.com with the address. If Zillow has it listed then search with the parcel number in the Mohave County - Real Property Parcel Search. http://www.mohavecounty.us/ContentPage.aspx?id=111&cid=869 On the Mohave County site it will show the site address and the mailing address, if the addresses are the same it's more likely that they are full-times. I know it's kind of stalker-ish but it is public information.:eek:
Thanks for that info. I did not even think of this... Kinda scary though... maybe I will just take my chances on my neighbors.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise.... We are 75% decided on building a house on the water vs a already built house in Havasu. I really want to wake up and look at the water running past our dock. Now we just need to get some quotes on building a house. If you have any names or numbers we would love to get them... Framers, electricians, plumbers, roofers, etc etc.....

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
I’d say that stretch is my favorite from Laughlin to Havasu Springs. A place on the river watching Don JOHNSON or Bullhead Bully fly by is a dream.
If you want night life or a regular group of friends it’s probably not the place. Choices to eat in Fort Mohave or Needles are limited at best. Havasu wins hands down if that’s the goal. Food is 100x better and gets better every year. More options if “extended” family wants to visit.
PS. I would hope there’s no way to go on-line to see if people live there part time or permanent.
No longer being in a big city is something we will adjust to.. So long are the days of walking a few blocks to downtown to the Cellar for dinner and cocktails.. Lyft will start to get more of our business.. i guess I will have to reup my subscription to Bon Appetite magazine and have dinner parties at our house... :D:D

Reactions: DWC

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We live in Anaheim Hills and just sold our home, cashed out so to speak and opted to rent for another year before my wife retires. We have a place in the Foothills and with the proceeds from selling the Anaheim Hills house we bought a cabin in the Hualapai's, about one hour an ten minutes and 30 degrees cooler. As we get older I dont thing July and August in Havasu will work for us full time so we will live in the cabin. And we have an Eliminator Daytona, so welcome to both families so to speak.

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
Gotta say I love our Eliminator.. Not totally sure which route we will take.. Build then sell or vise versa... I too have one more year to work, then possibly work from our new home.. We have to see how it all plans out...

First In Thank you for the link.. I have saved it.. Lots of things to do....

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
Question... We are now debating buying a manufactured home and putting it on our lot.. Any thoughts on that one way or the other... I know they are less expensive than building a home, but what about the quality? The efficiency with the heat and cold? What about the upkeep? And resale value? Thanks in advanced..

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Question... We are now debating buying a manufactured home and putting it on our lot.. Any thoughts on that one way or the other... I know they are less expensive than building a home, but what about the quality? The efficiency with the heat and cold? What about the upkeep? And resale value? Thanks in advanced..
I'm far from an expert, but my experience with modular is they don't compare quality wise. The insulation and windows and wall thickness ect. are so important even on a stick built home in this area, I don't see a modular even coming close. Resale will definitely suffer as well, and much more maintenance on the exterior. Maybe they've improved the internal components but most I've seen are also a little light weight. I do think it would be great to be right on the River, but I would only consider the Az. side. Not to be completely negative, but you will have more bugs and humidity on the water. Anyway, welcome and good luck.:)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
There is a gentleman here who just purchased a lot on Dike Rd recently, and also put a mobile on it. I believe his long term goal is the mobile will become the guest house when he builds the "real house". This was quick to get a home though. That area is my dream area. I have been on that portion of the river for near 30yrs. My last place was a mobile in a park just across and north of that area. The unit was on the water, and yes, drinking a cup of coffee in the morning in the off season is great. I was not in a position to buy riverfront property, but was sick of space rental, so I bought an acre inland so to speak. If it's on the river, yes, a mobile will net less than a stick built, but will sell for well more than it should. As the other guy did, maybe set a mobile back from the water as a temp.

As for oncology outfits, that is what kept my parents from full timing at the river. The closest "good" ones are either in Phoenix or Vegas. I say good, but that is really a matter of opinion. If that is a major deciding factor, a waterfront condo or mobile may be better, and possibly another place with water features or lakes closer to Vegas. It really depends on where the situation takes you as far as treatments and such.

Whatever the case, follow what dreams you and your husband have. Enjoy the slower life if you can, but it will take some getting used to. I left Cali 7 years ago, and now live in central Az, and have a place in Topock. Both are low dollar compared to some...compared to what I had...but life is much less stressful now.

Oh, and welcome to the chaos and confusion that is RDP;)

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
Monkeyswrench. Thank you so much for all that.. Some of the new manufactured homes we have looked at are very nice.. Their quality has come up over the years for sure.. The ones we have seen are using 2X6 boards, dual panned windows and we were thinking of adding extra insulation.. We have thought about looking at a place in The Palms till I can retire 100% and the house is complete. Probably 2 year time frame. My husband is very set on settling in Arizona..

My husband currently is at City of Hope in Duarte. We have thought about transferring to Cancer Centers of America in Phoenix, but either place would be 250 mile drive one way. At least with City of Hope we can make it a day and visit friends and family in CA.

I am not going to lie. I am a little worried about slowing down.. My husband not so much... I want to start spending more time in the area where we want to build to get familiar with it. Get to know the neighborhood, maybe make some friends, check out the area (stores, restaurants, gyms) stuff like that.

The waking up and sitting on the patio drinking coffee while watching the water go by with my husband is what lets me let go of CA..

I do well with chaos and confusion....:p:p

baja-chris

Reaction score
One thing you might want to look into if you are not yet medicare age is cost of health insurance. We found it would be $10k/yr more in Havasu than in the Phoenix area for example (depends on your age etc.) And the restaurant and night life scene can be pretty limited if you like to go out. Havasu is getting better but still nowhere near to options you may be used to.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Don't know about medicare...but it's damn hot on the river, and things are just flat different. We live in central Az, so probably more akin to Havasu than Phoenix. It sure isn't like SoCal...harder to find parts in stock, mexican food isn't as easy to find...things are not what they were where I grew up in SoCal.

That said, it's been worth it for us ;)

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I am kind of curious how the search is going for the OP. This threads a little dated.🤔

92 cole

Reaction score
Welcome to the zoo! I will not be far behind you getting out of Ca. Which fwiw I will not regret getting out. My dream is as your's! I want a place on the water but alittle lower on the river. I don't need other people around me to have a good time nor do I need entertainment on a regular basis. My wife and I do just fine together. I like to cook and she is a great cook so we will not starve. As long as I have a garage and shop I am good to go. Winters are alot about off-roading. Weekends will be watching the comics in the water. Mid-week is my boat time in my Eliminator Cruiser. Good Luck and I hope you find your'e dream!!

Joe mama

Reaction score
Yep things ca change drastically in almost a year

84miller

Reaction score
For a manufactured home if you choose...place it on a concrete pad, no matter what anyone says. Also cover the entire home (roof and all) with a awning. Not cheap but will make the manufactured home much less in up keep.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I know mobile homes get a bad rap (historically and mainly what people remember about the old ones) but we've got friends with a place in Havasu Springs (the new section in the 700's) and that place is near 20 years old now and still looks great. It takes very little maintenance, and has held up well. The mobile home seems to have good insulation, dual pane windows throughout. The only things they've had go wrong was an eventual roof leak (from the double-wide seam), a water heater had to be replaced and the A/C unit was replaced from the stock one when they bought it. They bought the unit when it was new.

So in my opinion, sure a real house is nice, but the new mobile homes now are pretty close. You can always upgrade the interior (or finish it out yourself which is what our friends did) if you don't like the way it comes. Heck you can even get them with fireplaces if that's your thing (in the winter).

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
I am kind of curious how the search is going for the OP. This threads a little dated.🤔
Sorry I did not see this.. We are still looking. We looked at a few homes in Havasu and they were very nice, but every time we went right back to living on the water. We are still looking for a lot of land to build.. We looked at a few of the homes for sale on the water, but none of them had a beach..

I checked with our insurance and it follows us no matter where we live so that is good. Thank you Plumbers and Pipe Fitters Union..

I guess I should check back more often....

wishiknew

Reaction score
Sorry I did not see this.. We are still looking. We looked at a few homes in Havasu and they were very nice, but every time we went right back to living on the water. We are still looking for a lot of land to build.. We looked at a few of the homes for sale on the water, but none of them had a beach..

I checked with our insurance and it follows us no matter where we live so that is good. Thank you Plumbers and Pipe Fitters Union..

I guess I should check back more often....
what happened to dike rd ?????

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
Welcome to the zoo! I will not be far behind you getting out of Ca. Which fwiw I will not regret getting out. My dream is as your's! I want a place on the water but alittle lower on the river. I don't need other people around me to have a good time nor do I need entertainment on a regular basis. My wife and I do just fine together. I like to cook and she is a great cook so we will not starve. As long as I have a garage and shop I am good to go. Winters are alot about off-roading. Weekends will be watching the comics in the water. Mid-week is my boat time in my Eliminator Cruiser. Good Luck and I hope you find your'e dream!!
HA HA HA HA you sound just like us... We both love to cook so the kitchen is the first thing we look at in a home.. On the weekends we love sitting on the beach and watching the senanagins on the water. Then on Monday or Tuesday after they leave we go play on the water... My husband just got his grandfathers original 1927 Model T running so we have been cruising that around town.. Hope she will run well in Arizona..

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
what happened to dike rd ?????
The first lot, the person pulled it off the market and we were told by another builder the land would need deep pockets to build a home on. We have not seen another lot come up for sale since.

wishiknew

Reaction score
The first lot, the person pulled it off the market and we were told by another builder the land would need deep pockets to build a home on. We have not seen another lot come up for sale since.
there is one for sale up by the yellow gates lots of people tell others things that are not always true ! we were told we couldnt put in septic systems and no wells all proved to be false

ALAN F

Reaction score
HA HA HA HA you sound just like us... We both love to cook so the kitchen is the first thing we look at in a home.. On the weekends we love sitting on the beach and watching the senanagins on the water. Then on Monday or Tuesday after they leave we go play on the water... My husband just got his grandfathers original 1927 Model T running so we have been cruising that around town.. Hope she will run well in Arizona..

Mondays and Tuesdays are not what they used to be, you better come spend a few weeks out here, what used to be is no more, hope you like crowds and morons, its where they have all seemed to flock to......really sad if youre a guy that enjoyed the serenity of weekdays having the river or lake somewhat to yourself or at least finding a beach without 4 boats and 6 dogs on it.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Mondays and Tuesdays are not what they used to be, you better come spend a few weeks out here, what used to be is no more, hope you like crowds and morons, its where they have all seemed to flock to......really sad if youre a guy that enjoyed the serenity of weekdays having the river or lake somewhat to yourself or at least finding a beach without 4 boats and 6 dogs on it.
I dont agree with this some people dont like change

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
The lake was perfect on Monday and Wednesday, not nearly the people that were out earlier in the summer I’m assuming because kids have to go back to school whether it’s online or not.😎

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
Yeah the crazies are out for sure... We have been spending our quarantine at the river.. No difference the 2 of us in our house or our motorhome and I work from the coach so we go up on the weekdays..

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Yeah the crazies are out for sure... We have been spending our quarantine at the river.. No difference the 2 of us in our house or our motorhome and I work from the coach so we go up on the weekdays..
This season at the river has been quite an anomaly with the large crowds, the lock downs certainly had an affect on it. It's a good thing ALANF didn't know you were in Az during quarantine because he was very angry at every Californian who was here....good intentions on his part with poor delivery.
I did read you said your husband was being treated at COH and I do hope that has gone well. Good luck on finding that perfect Az location to enjoy. The one thing my wife misses in Havasu is quality shopping(albeit mostly window shopping) but I'm sure you still understand what I mean.

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
This season at the river has been quite an anomaly with the large crowds, the lock downs certainly had an affect on it. It's a good thing ALANF didn't know you were in Az during quarantine because he was very angry at every Californian who was here....good intentions on his part with poor delivery.
I did read you said your husband was being treated at COH and I do hope that has gone well. Good luck on finding that perfect Az location to enjoy. The one thing my wife misses in Havasu is quality shopping(albeit mostly window shopping) but I'm sure you still understand what I mean.
Does it count that we camped at Needles Mariana in CA??? Hopefully that will keep us off the radar and him off our ass.. he he he
I totally understand your wife... I bet it will be hard coming from a city where you have anything you could want at a 10-15 minute drive with many options..

City of Hope has been great.. I would recommend to anyone.. Best decision we have made with his treatment..

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Does it count that we camped at Needles Mariana in CA??? Hopefully that will keep us off the radar and him off our ass.. he he he
I totally understand your wife... I bet it will be hard coming from a city where you have anything you could want at a 10-15 minute drive with many options..

City of Hope has been great.. I would recommend to anyone.. Best decision we have made with his treatment..
Lol, you probably would have been safe from his wrath😊
I'm lucky my wife doesn't buy a lot but certainly enjoys the hunt, which is missing anywhere along the river.........
Glad to hear your husband is doing better. Good time to reap the reward with a simpler life, river style.😎

Redrustyfan

Reaction score
Just an update. We lot the lot again. Someone put and offer before we could.. We thought we were doing the right thing by doing our homework on the lot before putting the offer in and that bit us in the rear.. Back to the grind.....

wishiknew

Reaction score
Just an update. We lot the lot again. Someone put and offer before we could.. We thought we were doing the right thing by doing our homework on the lot before putting the offer in and that bit us in the rear.. Back to the grind.....
what lot the one shaped like a triangle ?????