WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pellet smoker, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sintax

Reaction score
For my birthday in August My wife said we are buying a pellet grill. My 20 year old Vermont Castings gas grill is in need of its second major rebuild. I am looking at the Yoder, the Rectec and a few others. I want something I can grill a steak on without too much issue. I have a vertical smoker when I really want to get serious in that direction but this would do some smoking all the way through a quick weekday quick burn some dinner.

How easy is it to do a quick set of burgers or steak on these two?
I know they are great for a slower more methodical cook, and that is great for weekends and such, but just as common is the weekday fast and furious getting it done maneuver. I also have the Kamado grill for other applications. It is just a real process to get lit and going meaning it is limited to weekends mostly.

not ideal, id consider that like using a cresent wrench as a hammer. Will it work? yes. Is it the ideal tool? no.

Check out the Yoder YS series units, they have a removable plate that covers the firebox that you can grill over. You wont beat your Kamado for grilling though, ill tell you that right now.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
not ideal, id consider that like using a cresent wrench as a hammer. Will it work? yes. Is it the ideal tool? no.

Check out the Yoder YS series units, they have a removable plate that covers the firebox that you can grill over. You wont beat your Kamado for grilling though, ill tell you that right now.
Keeping the Kamado......
its just not the best weekday tool.

Agreed for a good steak when there is time, the Kamado is the best way to roll. I am looking for a bit of a universal all around tool. My smoker and kamado are here for the long haul. This is not the go to for something like a steak, but I am hoping it could do it in a pinch.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
I started with a traeger and upgraded to a Green Mountain Grill and love it! Better built, thicker steel, bigger casters, more consistent temps and now 3 other friends own GMG after eating at my house!

sintax

Reaction score
Keeping the Kamado......
its just not the best weekday tool.

Agreed for a good steak when there is time, the Kamado is the best way to roll. I am looking for a bit of a universal all around tool. My smoker and kamado are here for the long haul. This is not the go to for something like a steak, but I am hoping it could do it in a pinch.

got ya. I'm with you there. I've run the gambit on different cooking contraptions and honestly for quick and dirty cooking its tough to beat a gas grill. I'd never recommend one to anyone, but it IS the fastest way to get the job done. Esp if you clean the grill after you're done using it so its prepped and ready to roll right away.

Outside of that, a charcoal chimeny is the next fastest way to get going. The bigger pellet smokers ive used seem to take the longest to get up to that 375-475* number due to the tiny fire box. Its just not their strong suit.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
We use the rec tec for steaks and burgers all the time. Have a set of there grilling grates so you get marks.
It's probably the best smoker without spending Yoder type money. And fantastic customer support.

DLC

Reaction score
What ever pellet smoker you decide On make sure it’s big enough to cook at least 3 racks of ribs on. It’s always a good time when your smoking something, I like to have on hand a remote style temp prob and also an instant read temp probe & we really like the pecan pellets.

i vote for Treager and I have 2 of them and also use a gas grill for a quick sear depending on what I’m cooking

for instance boneless chicken I’ll smoke em for a little while, then hit it on the gas grill to firm it up and add some char, just don’t dry em out then they will be tuff

Status
Not open for further replies.