WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wake boat wakes

guest hs

Reaction score
61620F9F-074B-44C2-BECC-9FB3A06118BB.jpeg
Be carful guys especially if you have an older boat like this. My son is cruising up the Gorge just before the Sand Bar. Big Malibu V drive comes up on him going the other direction half on plane no surfers he described the boat had to have ballast full by the size of the wake. He hits the wake and here’s a bang the bulkhead in the boat breaks out and is laying on the floor in front of his feet. After more inspection we found out it broke the battery box mounts and the driver side seat base that was glassed in. Don’t get me wrong I understand this boat is 43 years and old but this isn’t some abused pile of shit it’s had one complete restoration and is garage kept. I hate to see these old classic boats go in the trash can over something that can be changed.
E9D246C7-EF1B-4593-862E-B7A33B831FB7.jpeg
88A710F3-1056-4002-8AA6-0AE9D0982E6E.jpeg
7DFBF181-E1CF-4A8A-B6DA-ED0A3337B7E5.jpeg

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
It’s the driver, not the boat. They are the most self centered, inconsiderate, I/ME/MY people on the planet. They don’t understand until their stuff gets ruined without thought. I’d be terrified to leave the puller/trailer in the lot I park in. Most are being vandalized/damaged because of the owner’s inconsiderate actions. Ive seen these boats sink without reason if they’re left in the water. Boaters in general are pretty nice /helpful people, but they are also used to fixing their own problems. If you own one of these boats, you better think about what you’re doing before karma catches up with you.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Your son has some boating problems.... 😂

wasn’t there a trailer thread a couple weeks ago?

those wakeboard boat wakes are no joke though

tbskis

Reaction score
Your son has some boating problems.... 😂

wasn’t there a trailer thread a couple weeks ago?

those wakeboard boat wakes are no joke though
Two big rollers over my bow the other day. About four inches of water in boat. Got trapped between surf boat and shore no where to go. They didn’t give a damn. I hate surf boats

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Well. Not trying to start shit. But as a driver it’s your duty to pay attention. Ever been to an area with big boats ? San Diego bay is a perfect example...... if you as a driver are not paying attention, your fucked. Ever seen a wake from a 65ft sport fisher? Or an 80ft tug boat. 6 ft rollers are no exaggeration. Or try LOTO or any bay near Miami. So ya, it sucks the boat was damaged, but the driver needs to pay attention. After all he IS the captain,and it’s his duty to keep his vessel safe . If you like wake boats or not, they are here to stay, and really, their wakes a small compared to many other types Of boats out there.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Two big rollers over my bow the other day. About four inches of water in boat. Got trapped between surf boat and shore no where to go. They didn’t give a damn. I hate surf boats
I tried to damn near roll through a set a few years ago. The entire boat submarined. My cousin was behind us and said the entire boat disappeared. We had about 8" of water in the boat. VERY close to sinking with my 1 year old daughter and dad. Completely destroyed the Bimini and scared the shit out of my daughter.

Fuck wake boats.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I give no fuks about wake/surf boats, as long as the "captain" is responsible. I've been in a few(mostly the same captain) and everything is fine and he is respectful.. we have a few the last few years that give no fuks, they roll wakes 50' off the launch. I took some rollers at the launch dock last year that put some pretty good gouges in my gel.. I run out and talk to the guy, he's not even remotely feeling he as at fault! I asked him if has seen the sign at the end of the dock "no wake within 200'!" He says yes but he cant do that because it's to shallow 200' away.. we have some words and I leave.. this year, there has been 4 or 5 wake boats in that area this year, granted is the deepest part of the river in that area, but the respect for people putting in and pulling out is non-existent with these guys. Well.. as of yesterday, they fucked it up for all of us!! The sheriff's dropped in a "no wake" bouy yesterday! This all could have been avoided if they had respect and stayed off the dock while people are putting in and pulling out! We dont have alot of "in and out" in this spot so it wouldn't have been a big deal to just chill while a boat is at the ramp..

As of yesterday, sheriff's said fuk it and dropped a bouy!!
20200717_210542.jpg
20200717_210618.jpg

River Runnin

Reaction score
Ever seen a wake from a 65ft sport fisher? Or an 80ft tug boat. 6 ft rollers are no exaggeration. Or try LOTO or any bay near Miami.
And that's the point! ... There is no place for OCEAN ROLLERS in inland lakes, rivers, or reservoirs! ... Unless you go surf some class 4 and 5 rapids!
.... What will be awesome is when the Manufacturers start getting sued for the damage that boat causes and the lives they're gonna take! 😑

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Well. Not trying to start shit. But as a driver it’s your duty to pay attention. Ever been to an area with big boats ? San Diego bay is a perfect example...... if you as a driver are not paying attention, your fucked. Ever seen a wake from a 65ft sport fisher? Or an 80ft tug boat. 6 ft rollers are no exaggeration. Or try LOTO or any bay near Miami. So ya, it sucks the boat was damaged, but the driver needs to pay attention. After all he IS the captain,and it’s his duty to keep his vessel safe . If you like wake boats or not, they are here to stay, and really, their wakes a small compared to many other types Of boats out there.
That's the dumbest justification for wake board boats I've ever read.

renodaytona

Reaction score
Ripped the screws out of my foot throttle last weekend due to large surf wake. I slowed down but it was too late, I didn't realize how big the wake was till I was on it. Some of the wake/surf boat guys up here go to the narrowest part of Lahontan (the narrows) and wake surf and wakeboard there. Last weekend there had to be 10 boats in that area with no respect to anyone else trying to use the lake.

98special

Reaction score
It’s the driver, not the boat. They are the most self centered, inconsiderate, I/ME/MY people on the planet.
We were camping at Powell 3 years ago and in the middle of the night had some DUMB ASSES with huge lights running up and down the SMALL canyon we were in. Had to get in the water to keep my boat from being smacked against the shore. TOTAL ASSHOLES. They don't give shit about anyone but themselves.🖕

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
View attachment 899778 Be carful guys especially if you have an older boat like this. My son is cruising up the Gorge just before the Sand Bar. Big Malibu V drive comes up on him going the other direction half on plane no surfers he described the boat had to have ballast full by the size of the wake. He hits the wake and here’s a bang the bulkhead in the boat breaks out and is laying on the floor in front of his feet. After more inspection we found out it broke the battery box mounts and the driver side seat base that was glassed in. Don’t get me wrong I understand this boat is 43 years and old but this isn’t some abused pile of shit it’s had one complete restoration and is garage kept. I hate to see these old classic boats go in the trash can over something that can be changed. View attachment 899771 View attachment 899772 View attachment 899773

The solution...challenge him. Get his registration number and file a claim against his insurance since his liability follows his wake until it reaches shore.

That's how you're going to stop them from doing dumb shit like running with the ballast full.

parker guy

Reaction score
This is the latest trend on wakeboard boats...talk about making a huge wake,,,,
1595077580716.jpeg

parker guy

Reaction score
I think a specific area on the river would be safe for these boats to wakeboard, but its getting to the point that unless you have a boat with freeboard your going to take on water...

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
So what is the LE take on this behavior? Or have they been defunded already.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
I luv the term “water plow”. That made my morning. I hate those f ers and as everyone knows its the f tard behind the wheel, not the boat. I had one almost take me out in my Schiada N of Moabi and near the Pirate at Parker. 30’+ boats on Parker are getting obnixious as well. Starting to think its time to build a bitchen jet and boat S/O Parker. Lol

HBCraig

Reaction score
Hopefully LHC, Coast Guard, SBCSO, etc vote in favor to ticket wakeboats that plow while not pulling anyone. A sheriff mentioned this to me a few weeks back.

Cross your fingers.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
And that is saying a lot.

Wake surfing is the equivalent of getting out of bed. Pretty much every living being can do it, but a few are very proud of it.

Zero care for anyone else, they gladly fuck up the water, and are the first ones to complain at the OCEAN, when they are actually surfing, about kooks taking up their waves. Can’t make this shit up.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
This is the latest trend on wakeboard boats...talk about making a huge wake,,,, View attachment 899863

This has been around for 10 years. This is just the cheapo set up for someone who hasn't bought a surf boat in the past decade and wants to surf. 99% of the new boats come with a "surf system". Some sort of paddle or tab or blade that comes out of stern to form the wave on the other side of the boat.

Husqy510

Reaction score
We own a 23' Malibu and a 26 Howard Cat, it has nothing to do with the boat, and everything to do with the operator.

We enjoy surfing, but do it in the morning, or weekdays away from other boaters and docks. We also enjoy going fast, but don't buzz peoples docks or boats.

We have a house near the Needles bridge and I can't tell you how many times we've had performance boats fly past our dock. Not only are they close to our dock, they're passing the Needles campground which is loaded with PWC and people swimming, and going under the bridge. If someone looses a drive, locks up a motor, or looses steering (happened to us this weekend) it's going to be catastrophic

My point is there ass holes operating all types of boats.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Easy solutions. Pick which one you would like.

1- limit ballast

2- limit speed

spectras only

Reaction score
I've been dealing with tugboats for decades in the ocean and the Fraser river in my Spectras.Definitely have to pay attention when they came up close. Even in my 24* deadrise Mirage, I slowed down and maneuvred around the big swells they make. However, in recreational waters like Havasu and Parker, those plow boats days are numbered, when authorities get fed up hearing complaints of shore line erosion and dock and property damage. ;)
The tug in this picture is actually one of the small ones operating around Vancouver.
Mirage%20on%20the%20North%20Arm

4Waters

Reaction score
Hopefully LHC, Coast Guard, SBCSO, etc vote in favor to ticket wakeboats that plow while not pulling anyone. A sheriff mentioned this to me a few weeks back.

Cross your fingers.
@RiverDave has said it before. Do we really want more regulation. My answer is no but I really don't see any other options anymore as the dumbass captains don't see an issue with their wakes. One of my best friends started boating with a jet bote and now has a wakeboat so he understands the issue and is responsible.

HBCraig

Reaction score
@RiverDave has said it before. Do we really want more regulation. My answer is no but I really don't see any other options anymore as the dumbass captains don't see an issue with their wakes. One of my best friends started boating with a jet bote and now has a wakeboat so he understands the issue and is responsible.
Agreed on less government intrusion. The sheriff I was having a few beers with said they are fed up with the BS wakes and operators as they see the damage and have to respond. All of the agencies collectively proposed this.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The wakes are one thing...the fucking rollers that follow the boat are something entirely different. They’re hard to see and they linger. I’ve been flying my little 19’ tunnel with not another boat underway in sight and feel the rollers before I see them...next thing I know I’m 4 feet outta the water. They’re spaced like ocean swells on the river.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
And that's the point! ... There is no place for OCEAN ROLLERS in inland lakes, rivers, or reservoirs! ... Unless you go surf some class 4 and 5 rapids!
.... What will be awesome is when the Manufacturers start getting sued for the damage that boat causes and the lives they're gonna take! 😑

So, in your opinion, a 40ft cabin cruiser shouldn’t be allowed on an inland lake? Can’t have one on Mead or Powell or any others? Because they make big ass wakes as well.

DC-88

Reaction score
Cracked the cowl on one of my boats recently on a set of river rollers that popped the latch . I don’t notice their wakes much out in the open lake but they are 100% fucked on the river , and way different for the average boater to negotiate than a large , angled wake from other types of big vessels that are underway .
Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK1MOD0

Reaction score

Think ya missed the point. It’s about a captain paying attention to His surroundings. It’s not up to you to decide what boats are on the water. So it’s up to you to make sure your operating YOUR boat safely. Which means sometimes , the captain has to slow to safely operate his boat. Ya can’t take every boat off the water that makes a large wake. I don’t own a wake boat, but I realize it’s just part of boating.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
And that is saying a lot.

Wake surfing is the equivalent of getting out of bed. Pretty much every living being can do it, but a few are very proud of it.

First off, let me preface I am not defending any assholes who drive around with full ballast, bumping music near peoples homes and docs.

Although I worked for Nautique for years and have wake surfed some, I don't really care for the sport either. However, your blanket statement "anyone can do it" is like saying anyone can ride a bicycle, run, shoot a gun or throw a ball. Sure, about 75% of the planet can get up and hang behind the boat but I think you have to look at the level people do things. Sure most people can bowl a 85 to 110 but how many can constantly bowl a 235? Same with wake surfing. I know guys who get up behind the boat and just sit there like a bump on a log; F-N boring if you ask me, but I am also friends with guys who can do a switch stance 360 shove its with a 180 body varials. Insane athletic ability. Most of them can surf well in the ocean too.

I get the whole wake surfing thing. It is an endless wave even if you live in Kansas. As long as you have a lake and a surf boat you can do it.

I really have no interest in wake surfing at all. It supported me and my family for a long time, but even when I dealt with 250k wake boats, I still just wanted a 70mph lake boat. hahaha. Most of my customers were so die hard, I couldn't believe it. Literally up at 7am on the water by 7:30 and surf non stop until the sun goes down. No beers, no hanging out swimming, no nothing. That is insane to me, but to each their own I guess.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
It's everywhere wake boats are and it's a problem until it's addressed especially as the numbers of wake boats grows...

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Do other wake surfers get mad at other wake surfers making big waves? Now how is that for a mind fuck? :D Sure they do. Just like the same assholes who get mad at guys going 85 in the fast lane and they want to do 90. Both are breaking the law, but one wants to do it even faster. hahahaha!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I've been dealing with tugboats for decades in the ocean and the Fraser river in my Spectras.Definitely have to pay attention when they came up close. Even in my 24* deadrise Mirage, I slowed down and maneuvred around the big swells they make. However, in recreational waters like Havasu and Parker, those plow boats days are numbered, when authorities get fed up hearing complaints of shore line erosion and dock and property damage. ;)
The tug in this picture is actually one of the small ones operating around Vancouver.
Mirage%20on%20the%20North%20Arm

I'd be pissed too if I saw that jack ass carving a big ol hole for someone to fall in!

Did you track him down and have a talk with him? ;)

Husqy510

Reaction score
Yes wakesurfers get mad at other wakesurfers. I get upset when they come by our dock, or destroy the river on a busy weekend.

I think you would be hard-pressed to prove damages. The wake is long gone by the time law enforcement would arrive. Then you'd have to prove that you were operating your boat in a responsible manner for the conditions, and that your boat was in sound condition.

I operate our boats and PWC knowing that their are fast boats, big wakes, drunks, inexperienced boaters, swimmers, floaters and combinations of all the above. It is my responsibility as the captain of my ship to navigate those hazards and keep my passengers safe.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Wakesurfers should all get a 6' pole with green flag on top to warn others.

I passed one on the strip and they were using a red flag on 6' pole as they surfed. I wondered what was going on moved to other side of the river and slowed down and then I hit the massive rollers. The surfer I could not even see until I passed them. They were surfing down river where there is no docks and it was very courteous of them to use the flag as a warning. Only issue with red flag was I was checking the water to make sure nobody was down. A green flag would have been ideal.

84miller

Reaction score
My last experience behind a wake/surf/full ballast boat in operation. I was behind it and safely trolling to wait for an opening to pass. I never saw the 5' girl surfing in the wake trowel until I passed the boat. Trust me I am careful and always stay my distance. I just remember thinking, if she fell no one behind this boat would have seen her. This was on the Parker strip, I am sure the boat was putting out a 4' wake. I predict the day will come when no ballast will be allowed in Parker.

84miller

Reaction score
Wakesurfers should all get a 6' pole with green flag on top to warn others.

I passed one on the strip and they were using a red flag on 6' pole as they surfed. I wondered what was going on moved to other side of the river and slowed down and then I hit the massive rollers. The surfer I could not even see until I passed them. They were surfing down river where there is no docks and it was very courteous of them to use the flag as a warning. Only issue with red flag was I was checking the water to make sure nobody was down. A green flag would have been ideal.

Hey, just fyi, I got pulled over and ticketed on the parker strip for having a red flag up continually while water skiing. My sister inlaw did not know the rules and held the flag up. So it is not legal for the very reason you mentioned, red flag up means rope in water or person down. I also just posted and like you I could not even see the surfer behind the boat because of wake size.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My last experience behind a wake/surf/full ballast boat in operation. I was behind it and safely trolling to wait for an opening to pass. I never saw the 5' girl surfing in the wake trowel until I passed the boat. Trust me I am careful and always stay my distance. I just remember thinking, if she fell no one behind this boat would have seen her. This was on the Parker strip, I am sure the boat was putting out a 4' wake. I predict the day will come when no ballast will be allowed in Parker.

There are people working on this. Can't happen soon enough.

cofooter

Reaction score
Do other wake surfers get mad at other wake surfers making big waves? Now how is that for a mind fuck? :D Sure they do. Just like the same assholes who get mad at guys going 85 in the fast lane and they want to do 90. Both are breaking the law, but one wants to do it even faster. hahahaha!
Yes! I see them going out earlier and earlier to avoid wake from other surfboats, fuckme

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Yes! I see them going out earlier and earlier to avoid wake from other surfboats, fuckme

Didn't some famous water skier switch to wake surfing?

You had better get some flood lights on that tub of yours and start getting up early if you want to beat the wake! 😁

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
First off, let me preface I am not defending any assholes who drive around with full ballast, bumping music near peoples homes and docs.

Although I worked for Nautique for years and have wake surfed some, I don't really care for the sport either. However, your blanket statement "anyone can do it" is like saying anyone can ride a bicycle, run, shoot a gun or throw a ball. Sure, about 75% of the planet can get up and hang behind the boat but I think you have to look at the level people do things. Sure most people can bowl a 85 to 110 but how many can constantly bowl a 235? Same with wake surfing. I know guys who get up behind the boat and just sit there like a bump on a log; F-N boring if you ask me, but I am also friends with guys who can do a switch stance 360 shove its with a 180 body varials. Insane athletic ability. Most of them can surf well in the ocean too.

I get the whole wake surfing thing. It is an endless wave even if you live in Kansas. As long as you have a lake and a surf boat you can do it.

I really have no interest in wake surfing at all. It supported me and my family for a long time, but even when I dealt with 250k wake boats, I still just wanted a 70mph lake boat. hahaha. Most of my customers were so die hard, I couldn't believe it. Literally up at 7am on the water by 7:30 and surf non stop until the sun goes down. No beers, no hanging out swimming, no nothing. That is insane to me, but to each their own I guess.
Roger that. I’m a old grouch, but considerate of others. First time I wake surfed was in the Bay Area, almost 20 years ago on the lagoon when it was blown out and no longer skiable. I still hold that any healthy person can do it, and after about 5 rides any moderately skilled waterman grows bored of it. Surfing in the ocean does take skill, patience, and fitness. I live at the beach so maybe that’s why I can see true surfing and not posers behind a boat.

Those boats unfortunately have become the cash cow, pun intended, for CorrectCraft, Mastercraft, Supra, etc and now it’s a freakin arms race to see which numbnuts has the biggest wave. Not wake, but WAVE. It’s totally going the wrong direction and sadly it will screw all powerboat owners. The lefty canoe paddlers are dying to ban all boats, and these Floating Tonka Trucks are giving them all the ammo they need.

And Sorry, it’s all drivers, as these enormous troop transports throw massive wakes/waves all the time, loaded or unloaded. What really pisses me off are the ones that get up early and really mess up the water for anyone. Even empty they have massive wakes. And I know dozens of people that use lead bags, concrete blocks, and steel weights for ballast, in addition to their water bags. Their trailers are proof they are overloaded and always ready to throw walls.

Ever try to get a ski ride in, only to have Kelly Slater Jr slog by with a 4 foot curl? I don’t think bummer properly tells the story.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Soon to follow .....muffler tickets, exhibition of speed tickets, having too much fun tickets etc. etc. ....

Possibly. But that would be a whole different group if people working on that.