WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wake boat wakes

guest hs

Reaction score
W
My last experience behind a wake/surf/full ballast boat in operation. I was behind it and safely trolling to wait for an opening to pass. I never saw the 5' girl surfing in the wake trowel until I passed the boat. Trust me I am careful and always stay my distance. I just remember thinking, if she fell no one behind this boat would have seen her. This was on the Parker strip, I am sure the boat was putting out a 4' wake. I predict the day will come when no ballast will be allowed in Parker.
Wait until someone on a jet ski comes up close to the transom on one of these boats to jump the wake and hit a surfer down in the pocket they didn’t see

Tank

Reaction score
I like to roll up on em at about 70 and launch. 😉😁
Really though I don’t understand how some of you guys run flatter bottom boats and smaller boats in havasu (or the river). If it’s not the roll boaters it’s the wind or just the fact the lake is always packed and rough it seems.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I like to roll up on em at about 70 and launch. 😉😁
Really though I don’t understand how some of you guys run flatter bottom boats and smaller boats in havasu (or the river). If it’s not the roll boaters it’s the wind or just the fact the lake is always packed and rough it seems.

Some just love to complain. It's in their DNA. 😖

Justfishing

Reaction score
Well. Not trying to start shit. But as a driver it’s your duty to pay attention. Ever been to an area with big boats ? San Diego bay is a perfect example...... if you as a driver are not paying attention, your fucked. Ever seen a wake from a 65ft sport fisher? Or an 80ft tug boat. 6 ft rollers are no exaggeration. Or try LOTO or any bay near Miami. So ya, it sucks the boat was damaged, but the driver needs to pay attention. After all he IS the captain,and it’s his duty to keep his vessel safe . If you like wake boats or not, they are here to stay, and really, their wakes a small compared to many other types Of boats out there.
Loto is starting to take action on wakes of 40+ foot cruisers. They cant boat appropriately and bring regulations on themselves. There is a 9 mile stretch on one arm that is idle speed for 40+ foot boats. Several other smaller areas getting that too. I could see similar regs for wake boats.

A narrow channel is no place for a large wake. in large areas you can manuver In a channel you are trapped.

Wednesday in the channel by the glaize bridge a cat went by doing 70 or so. I was amazed how little wake it left. A row boat would leave a bigger wake.

A cruiser goes by nose up and you are taking evasive actions to keep from damaging your boat.

Last edited:

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Loto is starting to take action on wakes of 40+ cruisers. They cant boat appropriately and bring regulations on themselves. There is a 9 mile stretch one arm that is idle speed for 40+ foot boats. Several other smaller areas geeting that too. I could see similar regs for wake boats.

A narrow channel is no place for a large wake. in large areas you can manuver. In a. Channel you are trapped.

No doubt that there are areas where wakes need to be limited. Conjested areas, near docks or ramps are certainly just a few. I’m certainly not endorsing dock crushing waves at all. There is a time and place for sure.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
i dont mind wake boats. its a cool sport and family fun just like all of us have while hauling ass up the gorge.

what i dont understand is how wake boat captains go full ballast in busy sections of the lake or out in open water. not only are they a danger to other boats but if their surfer falls that surfer is at huge risk. same with the idiots who have their kids on tubes in thompson bay. blows me away.

There should be a rule about no ballast on the river sections tho. the damage is rough

Tank

Reaction score
Loto is starting to take action on wakes of 40+ cruisers. They cant boat appropriately and bring regulations on themselves. There is a 9 mile stretch one arm that is idle speed for 40+ foot boats. Several other smaller areas geeting that too. I could see similar regs for wake boats.

A narrow channel is no place for a large wake. in large areas you can manuver. In a. Channel you are trapped.

those yachts onloto cause havoc! We’re in a 13 plus thousandLB deep vee and had to slow waaaaay down.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
No doubt that there are areas where wakes need to be limited. Conjested areas, near docks or ramps are certainly just a few. I’m certainly not endorsing dock crushing waves at all. There is a time and place for sure.

How about Long Beach Marine Stadium? We were down there last Wednesday and there were a couple of surf boats in there. The actual ocean is about a mile away and they have to destroy Marine Stadium? Ridiculous.

If you have a 20' ish ski boat down there and two of the surf boats are on the water you have to hold your boat off the beach so it doesn't get trashed, can't anchor out in the stadium.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Well. Not trying to start shit. But as a driver it’s your duty to pay attention. Ever been to an area with big boats ? San Diego bay is a perfect example...... if you as a driver are not paying attention, your fucked. Ever seen a wake from a 65ft sport fisher? Or an 80ft tug boat. 6 ft rollers are no exaggeration. Or try LOTO or any bay near Miami. So ya, it sucks the boat was damaged, but the driver needs to pay attention. After all he IS the captain,and it’s his duty to keep his vessel safe . If you like wake boats or not, they are here to stay, and really, their wakes a small compared to many other types Of boats out there.
In all my years I never remember seeing a 65' sport fisher in Thompson Bay.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Literally I just had all the stress cracks fixed in Hooters. Granted its a 1978 Schiada, first trip to the damn with a new motor, on a Sunday, I got some stress cracks back. Literally its so rough out behind those boats that there are times you have to come off plane to make it over the rollers. I’m not a river Nazi, we are here to have fun, but seriously the design of these modern surf boats is out of control. Im seriously just going to buy a 38 Cigarette for the strip. Maybe a 42 Tiger. Fuck it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cofooter

Reaction score
Didn't some famous water skier switch to wake surfing?

You had better get some flood lights on that tub of yours and start getting up early if you want to beat the wake! 😁
He did til he figured out is was GEH!

hallett21

Reaction score
I can only speak for Havasu. We mainly boat Nautical to Needles. We seem to coexist with these boats just fine.

Now Parker I know is another animal. I’ve had to chop the throttle multiple times.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
What I have always found to be the worst about the surf boats is 2 things. First the speed of the boat is SOOOO slow it makes maneuvering around them difficult to do safely. Second, the rollers they produce are deceiving for lower boats cause you have a hard time being able to tell how deep the trough is between the peaks from a distance. That's why I went under. I was doing about 25 in a VERY congested part of Naci (where Tablas Creek and the main body meet) and this jackass was doing about 7 right through there. I can't come off plane in that area due to my low freeboard and the size of the normal chop so I slowed to about 15 to try to roll his wake. As soon as I saw the size of them I was on the first peak and was fucked.

I got real lucky and it only destroyed a cheap aluminum Bimini top.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
How about Long Beach Marine Stadium? We were down there last Wednesday and there were a couple of surf boats in there. The actual ocean is about a mile away and they have to destroy Marine Stadium? Ridiculous.

If you have a 20' ish ski boat down there and two of the surf boats are on the water you have to hold your boat off the beach so it doesn't get trashed, can't anchor out in the stadium.
Exactly. Why not go to the beach, it’s free. Endless waves. Fun.

Ugh

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I love Parker! Roll bar boats and all. :cool:

Labor Day 4, '09 219_1 - Edited.jpg
95.jpg
IMG_9336 - Edited (1).jpg
621CBAAB-B575-4434-8F41-4793E3E34071 - Edited.jpg
Parker Ski Race '09 115 - Edited (1).jpg
Parker Strip 9 27 09 183 - Edited (4).jpg
\
Twin Beech-Road Runner 229-1 [800x600] - Edited.jpg
'09 CSR (27) - Edited.jpg
95.jpg
AJslilbuddy.jpg
0 (3).jpg
Memorial 1 (210).jpg
Memorial 1 (126).jpg
- (27).jpg
Labor Day 4, '09 219_1 - Edited.jpg
IMG_9336 - Edited (1).jpg

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
I have a wakeboat.... our last two trips to Havasu the water is too F.ed up to enjoy any watersports.... our next trip... were bringing the tube....

spectras only

Reaction score
I'd be pissed too if I saw that jack ass carving a big ol hole for someone to fall in!

Did you track him down and have a talk with him? ;)
Those tug boat captains don't give a fuck. Matter of fact, I think they enjoy seeing small boats getting beaten up in their wakes. 😃 Try reporting them to the port authority and they'd laugh their heads off. It's a working river, you know;)😝😃

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
Yes wakesurfers get mad at other wakesurfers. I get upset when they come by our dock, or destroy the river on a busy weekend.

I think you would be hard-pressed to prove damages. The wake is long gone by the time law enforcement would arrive. Then you'd have to prove that you were operating your boat in a responsible manner for the conditions, and that your boat was in sound condition.

I operate our boats and PWC knowing that their are fast boats, big wakes, drunks, inexperienced boaters, swimmers, floaters and combinations of all the above. It is my responsibility as the captain of my ship to navigate those hazards and keep my passengers safe.
Actually there is a thread here (I can't find it) where a home owner in North Carolina or that area got tired of the damage done to his dock, he fixed tge dock and installed cameras and ended up getting the license number off the wakeboat that caused the damage again and filed a police report and the guys boat insurance paid for the repairs. It was a news article that was posted.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Roger that. I’m a old grouch, but considerate of others. First time I wake surfed was in the Bay Area, almost 20 years ago on the lagoon when it was blown out and no longer skiable. I still hold that any healthy person can do it, and after about 5 rides any moderately skilled waterman grows bored of it. Surfing in the ocean does take skill, patience, and fitness. I live at the beach so maybe that’s why I can see true surfing and not posers behind a boat.

Those boats unfortunately have become the cash cow, pun intended, for CorrectCraft, Mastercraft, Supra, etc and now it’s a freakin arms race to see which numbnuts has the biggest wave. Not wake, but WAVE. It’s totally going the wrong direction and sadly it will screw all powerboat owners. The lefty canoe paddlers are dying to ban all boats, and these Floating Tonka Trucks are giving them all the ammo they need.

And Sorry, it’s all drivers, as these enormous troop transports throw massive wakes/waves all the time, loaded or unloaded. What really pisses me off are the ones that get up early and really mess up the water for anyone. Even empty they have massive wakes. And I know dozens of people that use lead bags, concrete blocks, and steel weights for ballast, in addition to their water bags. Their trailers are proof they are overloaded and always ready to throw walls.

Ever try to get a ski ride in, only to have Kelly Slater Jr slog by with a 4 foot curl? I don’t think bummer properly tells the story.

I am with you. That is one of the problems, the static weight of many of these wake boats are 5k, 6k and over 7k. Plus boats like the Nautique G series use displacement hull technology. Literally designed NOT to get on plane and punch a huge hole in the water. Plus all the guys driving around with lead in their boats all the time.

I feel people just need to use them responsibly. The whole reason people started to wake surf was because water was rough or blow out too much to ski or wake board. However they still seem to go for the glassiest cove they can find. I have literally wake surfed on Tahoe with no issues with three foot rollers. Tahoe, Mead, the middle of Havasu; all great places to wake surf and literally won't bother anyone.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
The solution...challenge him. Get his registration number and file a claim against his insurance since his liability follows his wake until it reaches shore.

That's how you're going to stop them from doing dumb shit like running with the ballast full.
Or file a claim with yor insurance, if you have any. They will sort it out. That’s why you pay those premiums. Right?

Husqy510

Reaction score
Actually there is a thread here (I can't find it) where a home owner in North Carolina or that area got tired of the damage done to his dock, he fixed tge dock and installed cameras and ended up getting the license number off the wakeboat that caused the damage again and filed a police report and the guys boat insurance paid for the repairs. It was a news article that was posted.
A clear video of the wake causing damage to a stationary dock would likely give you a preponderance. Two boats operating separately, even with a video, would be a challenge.

I think, as another member mentioned, you could file a claim with insurance and let them figure it out.

Brobee

Reaction score
And Sorry, it’s all drivers, as these enormous troop transports throw massive wakes/waves all the time, loaded or unloaded. What really pisses me off are the ones that get up early and really mess up the water for anyone. Even empty they have massive wakes. And I know dozens of people that use lead bags, concrete blocks, and steel weights for ballast, in addition to their water bags. Their trailers are proof they are overloaded and always ready to throw walls.

Ever try to get a ski ride in, only to have Kelly Slater Jr slog by with a 4 foot curl? I don’t think bummer properly tells the story.

Seriously? It all drivers huh? Your ignorance is deafening. You sound like a Liberal trying to explain why we need to ban the scary black guns. A surf boat is basically like an AR14 with the shoulder thing that goes up. Do you really think an empty wake boat just continually throws a giant wave? Just all the time, breaking our trailers somehow, and plowing along.
IMG_2503.jpg

This is 99% of the time just cruising around. It’s no more of a wake than any standard runabout and way less than an overloaded rental toon plowing along on its way to Pirates. Every boat running nose up off plane screws up the water. I was behind “White Lightning”, a twin ob eliminator, and another big deck boat exiting the gorge today and when they all took off at once it sent my boat rocking and rolling through some giant rollers. Did I shake my fist in the air and rant about how all powerboats should be banned? Nope. I pushed through, got up on plane and went on with my day. Those were sweet boats and I appreciate them for what they are and can do.

So you don’t want them surfing when it’s crowded, but if they get up early when no ones on the water that’s wrong too?

I get it. I don’t understand the guys that run around ballasted out with no one behind them either, but that kind is the minority. I don’t do it, none of my rollbar owning friends do it, and I’ve honestly only seen it a couple of times.

We all need to be respectful of each other and mindful of others no matter what. My and my groups routine has been stated on here multiple times so I’m not going to defend myself yet again, but lumping all owners of one particular type of watercraft is both ignorant and arrogant. There is no one right way to enjoy the water.
Adjustments.jpg

Here’s the other 1%.

Gasnsuntanlotion

Reaction score
I've been dealing with tugboats for decades in the ocean and the Fraser river in my Spectras.Definitely have to pay attention when they came up close. Even in my 24* deadrise Mirage, I slowed down and maneuvred around the big swells they make. However, in recreational waters like Havasu and Parker, those plow boats days are numbered, when authorities get fed up hearing complaints of shore line erosion and dock and property damage. ;)
The tug in this picture is actually one of the small ones operating around Vancouver.
Mirage%20on%20the%20North%20Arm
The Shuswap is th same way now. Like it’s permanent 2 ft chop cause of surf boats.

Reactions: DWC

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Seriously? It all drivers huh? Your ignorance is deafening. You sound like a Liberal trying to explain why we need to ban the scary black guns. A surf boat is basically like an AR14 with the shoulder thing that goes up. Do you really think an empty wake boat just continually throws a giant wave? Just all the time, breaking our trailers somehow, and plowing along. View attachment 900125

This is 99% of the time just cruising around. It’s no more of a wake than any standard runabout and way less than an overloaded rental toon plowing along on its way to Pirates. Every boat running nose up off plane screws up the water. I was behind “White Lightning”, a twin ob eliminator, and another big deck boat exiting the gorge today and when they all took off at once it sent my boat rocking and rolling through some giant rollers. Did I shake my fist in the air and rant about how all powerboats should be banned? Nope. I pushed through, got up on plane and went on with my day. Those were sweet boats and I appreciate them for what they are and can do.

So you don’t want them surfing when it’s crowded, but if they get up early when no ones on the water that’s wrong too?

I get it. I don’t understand the guys that run around ballasted out with no one behind them either, but that kind is the minority. I don’t do it, none of my rollbar owning friends do it, and I’ve honestly only seen it a couple of times.

We all need to be respectful of each other and mindful of others no matter what. My and my groups routine has been stated on here multiple times so I’m not going to defend myself yet again, but lumping all owners of one particular type of watercraft is both ignorant and arrogant. There is no one right way to enjoy the water.
View attachment 900134

Here’s the other 1%.

Best post on RDP today!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Seriously? It all drivers huh? Your ignorance is deafening. You sound like a Liberal trying to explain why we need to ban the scary black guns. A surf boat is basically like an AR14 with the shoulder thing that goes up. Do you really think an empty wake boat just continually throws a giant wave? Just all the time, breaking our trailers somehow, and plowing along. View attachment 900125

View attachment 900134

Here’s the other 1%.

Just to make sure, what model and year is your boat? Most of the wakeboard boats made up until about 8ish years ago or so are just fine. Their design wasn't so the hull itself made as large a wake as possible. They were designed to do several things. The wake boats now are designed to produce "the perfect wake surf wake* so even at speed their wakes are massive comparatively.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
The Shuswap is th same way now. Like it’s permanent 2 ft chop cause of surf boats.
Yes, all.

The massive new Wake Surf boats all displace massive amounts of water. Any driver will cause large wakes, unless its pegged, which is not often.

I can only see what I see. Glad to hear you understand a lot of drivers make it very bad.

Edit: note the following video displays “good” drivers with boats performing exactly how they are designed to, and also note the size of the wake/wave. “Bad” drivers would also have the same size wave, but would most likely operate in areas less welcoming to their wall of water. Regardless, both displace an awesome amount of water.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Yes, all.

The massive new Wake Surf boats all displace massive amounts of water. Any driver will cause large wakes, unless its pegged, which is not often.

I can only see what I see. Glad to hear you understand a lot of drivers make it very bad.

Autowake...lol. This is getting fucking absurd.

Brobee

Reaction score
Just to make sure, what model and year is your boat? Most of the wakeboard boats made up until about 8ish years ago or so are just fine. Their design wasn't so the hull itself made as large a wake as possible. They were designed to do several things. The wake boats now are designed to produce "the perfect wake surf wake* so even at speed their wakes are massive comparatively.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

It’s a 2017 MB B52. It’s designed and built for surfing. It has surf tabs, 3000# of hard tank ballast, 2 1100# bags in the lockers, and a 600# bag in the nose. When sacked out it makes a 4 foot curl with a good 10-15 foot pocket. But as you can see from the picture in my first post the wake isn’t any bigger than a normal v hull on plane when it’s running empty. As soon as I pop up it’s the same from 15mph to 40.
IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

If anyone here sees me on the lake feel free to say hey. I’m going to bet I won’t be screwing up the water.

brgrcru

Reaction score
As stated by Brobee. Let's not shove everyone in one corner.
We have a 2019 malibu VTX . The smallest of wake, surf and can you beleive it , a great ski boat . With the diamond hull.
Most of the time it's used for skiing and boarding . All day long with surfing thrown in the mix .
It doesn't even go to the colorado River. It just likes the delta . we are by our selfs all day long . As I go to lake or river ,not to be seen . But disappear , from life .
I like to ski board and surf , that's our pattern . Yes surfing a blast . Behind the boat or out in the ocean . It's nice to do when your arms are tired from skiing and boarding . Our old malibu sunsetter was more of a ski boat . Our new malibu is awesome. It can do so much . Spends about 8 hours a day running and playing. The best boat I ever owned .
We also own a Cp jet and a cole tr2 . That spend time at River. Not once , have I ever put myself in a bad sittuation , with those two boats or bitch about going over someone's wake.

There are plenty of inconsiderate fucks in the water . In all types of water craft .

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
@RiverDave has said it before. Do we really want more regulation. My answer is no but I really don't see any other options anymore as the dumbass captains don't see an issue with their wakes. One of my best friends started boating with a jet bote and now has a wakeboat so he understands the issue and is responsible.

Agreed. Everyone in here is high if they think laws and regulations will be created ONLY for wake boats. They will be created for all boats, to all of our detriment. They will use this to expand no wake zones and apply speed limits that affect everyone on the water.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It’s a 2017 MB B52. It’s designed and built for surfing. It has surf tabs, 3000# of hard tank ballast, 2 1100# bags in the lockers, and a 600# bag in the nose. When sacked out it makes a 4 foot curl with a good 10-15 foot pocket. But as you can see from the picture in my first post the wake isn’t any bigger than a normal v hull on plane when it’s running empty. As soon as I pop up it’s the same from 15mph to 40.
View attachment 900195
View attachment 900197
If anyone here sees me on the lake feel free to say hey. I’m going to bet I won’t be screwing up the water.

Glad to see MB has remained on the all-around side of the designs unlike many others. The really sad thing is owners and driver's like you and your friends are becoming the minority in that regard.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

guest hs

Reaction score
Some if not most of these boats can’t run full out or they porpoise so bad it’s uncontrollably. I use to sell TIGE and they are a prime example of this. So what do they do they run around almost breaking plane digging a huge hole. Why empty the ballast that takes to long to fill and empty so just leave it full.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
I find its not just the wake. The surf boats create rollers in the center behind them. It must be the way they compress the water. Once you get stuck in that you’re fucked. Its hard to drive through it fast enough to pass them. Then to get outside of that mess you gotta cross through their wake. No other group of boaters has such a negative impact on all the other boaters. [emoji1418]

parker guy

Reaction score
When you think about it, if the tanks are full plus people in the boat plus the boat its very easy that you have a floating turd of 10,000 lbs going 20 mph

guest hs

Reaction score
The tiges have capacity tags of something ridiculous like 17 persons if I remember right. Say the average person is 160 Lbs that’s 2720 lbs of just passengers if full at my conservative weight calculation

4Waters

Reaction score
Some if not most of these boats can’t run full out or they porpoise so bad it’s uncontrollably. I use to sell TIGE and they are a prime example of this. So what do they do they run around almost breaking plane digging a huge hole. Why empty the ballast that takes to long to fill and empty so just leave it full.
My buddy has a 13 Tige 20' RZR that porpoised bad, he put 1/8 shim between the taps plate and ram and no more issues

Clank123

Reaction score
Agree with all that has been said in terms of the Wake Surf phenomenon and it’s effects on water conditions and boat damage.
Been going to Parker since the late 60’s and started driving vdrives there in 73 pulling skiers/knee boards and even inner tubes from semi’s with the brass stem down. Other than boat racing, nearly all of my pleasure boating has been done in Parker since the early 80’s.
While we have kept trailers at Big Bend and Castle Rock all those years, for the last 14 I have been a homeowner in Marina Manor on the AZ side of the River.
We have a launch ramp, 24 slips and a sea wall to support them.
Over the last 5 years with the growing popularity of Wake Surfing and the purpose built boats to support it, our Homeowners Association spends tens of thousands of dollars for ongoing repairs. While higher traffic may contribute to the damage, there is no one that owns docks in Parker or even has a rudimentary Understanding of powerboats and how they perform can refute the damage that is being done to personal property.
But here is the good news...
A simple interpretation of laws already on the books would not ban the boats that have been built or force law enforcement to determine if a “Wake Enhancement Device” is being used...no...a simple common sense decision by any enforcement agency could stop Wake Surfing next weekend...
9CFC2C26-E796-4F2E-9D9F-B6AAED21DB01.jpeg

4F0565F2-04B8-4DCF-A95F-D0B71E8A5FB5.jpeg

There is little doubt, in any sensible opinion, that the “intent” of both of these laws is to eliminate close proximity to exhaust fumes and the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning as well as anyone being towed behind the boat must be no closer than 36 feet for safety reasons.
It certainly is plausible to assume that if the CM law isn’t enough then the minimum tow rope length that is on the books covers not only “Skiers” but all other forms of towables as well. Which would include Surfboards or custom Wake Surf boards as they require a “towrope”
Lake Arrowhead rules very specifically state what is considered a towable but has not included Wake Surf devices at this time.
39E38871-DAE7-4DDF-877F-41A9800B9E83.jpeg

My guess is with the docks on Arrowhead currently being affected, that an addition of Wake Surfing devices to the current list will hopefully be coming soon

Our Homeowners Association is currently discussing how to get current laws enforced and to include how to get the ones one the books clarified.
My hope is there is someone on the boards here that has the wherewithal and knowledge on how to move forward with this will guide us all.
I believe these existing laws give Law Enforcement, if they have the desire, to make all boaters and their personal property safer.
Let’s make this happen!

D19

Reaction score
I find its not just the wake. The surf boats create rollers in the center behind them. It must be the way they compress the water. Once you get stuck in that you’re fucked. Its hard to drive through it fast enough to pass them. Then to get outside of that mess you gotta cross through their wake. No other group of boaters has such a negative impact on all the other boaters. [emoji1418]

I agree 100%!

I understand not all wake boat owners are buttholes but there is no disputing the fact that it sucks big time driving behind one and trying to pass. A lot of the time I will wait for the right opportunity to pass but then I have apposing traffic.

It is the worst when they zig zag or you get caught behind 2 of them.

DWC

Reaction score

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I am with you. That is one of the problems, the static weight of many of these wake boats are 5k, 6k and over 7k. Plus boats like the Nautique G series use displacement hull technology. Literally designed NOT to get on plane and punch a huge hole in the water. Plus all the guys driving around with lead in their boats all the time.

I feel people just need to use them responsibly. The whole reason people started to wake surf was because water was rough or blow out too much to ski or wake board. However they still seem to go for the glassiest cove they can find. I have literally wake surfed on Tahoe with no issues with three foot rollers. Tahoe, Mead, the middle of Havasu; all great places to wake surf and literally won't bother anyone.

Guy I know just bought one, it holds 5400 pounds of ballast

Brobee

Reaction score
Agree with all that has been said in terms of the Wake Surf phenomenon and it’s effects on water conditions and boat damage.
Been going to Parker since the late 60’s and started driving vdrives there in 73 pulling skiers/knee boards and even inner tubes from semi’s with the brass stem down. Other than boat racing, nearly all of my pleasure boating has been done in Parker since the early 80’s.
While we have kept trailers at Big Bend and Castle Rock all those years, for the last 14 I have been a homeowner in Marina Manor on the AZ side of the River.
We have a launch ramp, 24 slips and a sea wall to support them.
Over the last 5 years with the growing popularity of Wake Surfing and the purpose built boats to support it, our Homeowners Association spends tens of thousands of dollars for ongoing repairs. While higher traffic may contribute to the damage, there is no one that owns docks in Parker or even has a rudimentary Understanding of powerboats and how they perform can refute the damage that is being done to personal property.
But here is the good news...
A simple interpretation of laws already on the books would not ban the boats that have been built or force law enforcement to determine if a “Wake Enhancement Device” is being used...no...a simple common sense decision by any enforcement agency could stop Wake Surfing next weekend...
View attachment 900322
View attachment 900323
There is little doubt, in any sensible opinion, that the “intent” of both of these laws is to eliminate close proximity to exhaust fumes and the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning as well as anyone being towed behind the boat must be no closer than 36 feet for safety reasons.
It certainly is plausible to assume that if the CM law isn’t enough then the minimum tow rope length that is on the books covers not only “Skiers” but all other forms of towables as well. Which would include Surfboards or custom Wake Surf boards as they require a “towrope”
Lake Arrowhead rules very specifically state what is considered a towable but has not included Wake Surf devices at this time.
View attachment 900339
My guess is with the docks on Arrowhead currently being affected, that an addition of Wake Surfing devices to the current list will hopefully be coming soon

Our Homeowners Association is currently discussing how to get current laws enforced and to include how to get the ones one the books clarified.
My hope is there is someone on the boards here that has the wherewithal and knowledge on how to move forward with this will guide us all.
I believe these existing laws give Law Enforcement, if they have the desire, to make all boaters and their personal property safer.
Let’s make this happen!

CO exposure while surfing has already been addressed and rectified. Manufacturers route the exhaust into the prop wash to be dispersed well behind the surfer and at much lower concentrations. Also newer boats all run catalytic converters. There are many videos that show the air quality behind the boat and there is little to no CO rise.
Adjustments.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

View attachment 900387

Attachments

• IMG_2711.jpg
    IMG_2711.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2711.jpg
    IMG_2711.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Nothing is going to change because I don’t like them or you don’t or this group doesn’t etc etc. Until there’s a ten year environmental study on shore erosion and decrease in population of some special bird or frog, then they will have manufacturers limit the size of wake.

So I guess we all need to buy bigger boats in the mean time.

DWC

Reaction score
Nothing is going to change because I don’t like them or you don’t or this group doesn’t etc etc. Until there’s a ten year environmental study on shore erosion and decrease in population of some special bird or frog, then they will have manufacturers limit the size of wake.

So I guess we all need to buy bigger boats in the mean time.

You should get rid of Hooters ASAP.

Clank123

Reaction score
CO exposure while surfing has already been addressed and rectified. Manufacturers route the exhaust into the prop wash to be dispersed well behind the surfer and at much lower concentrations. Also newer boats all run catalytic converters. There are many videos that show the air quality behind the boat and there is little to no CO rise.
View attachment 900377

View attachment 900378

View attachment 900383
View attachment 900384
So it would be legal to Teak surf or platform drag? Not a chance. Guaranteed not applicable to a large number of the boats out there.
Oh...then there’s that pesky overlooked rope length....