WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cavatation plate pics

guest hs

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that has a 21-24 Vdrive cruiser with cavatation plates on it , could you post some pics? I’m trying to figure out how high to place my pillow block bezel plate.
C8B2E69F-1D18-45BA-94F9-8800016832F4.jpeg

sintax

Reaction score
so just some things to keep in mind on this one, you'll want to plan the OUTSIDE and the INSIDE of the transom at the same time, I ran into some issues on mine where I wanted to mount my sea strainers, I couldnt due to the mounting for my cav hardware as well as my rudder brace, and where the water line bulkheads were.

It was kind of a jumble at that point, we did our best and ended up going with floor mounted strainers, it'll work but its not quite ideal in my book.

guest hs

Reaction score
not the best pic, but its what i had on my phone... Excuse the dirt, shes been sitting for way too long

View attachment 897592
Could you tell me how long yours are from the transom out the back? Could you also tell me what the measurement is from the keel to center if you pillow block center line is? Thank you

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I found my turn buckles first, I was looking for the original Spectra style from Nicson, that helped me determine the height, I had to cut a couple down. A lot of these were originally set up with a little short stubby outside turn buckle and I did not like that look. as mentioned above your inside layout plays into this as well for what you want to mount off your transom. My Buddy runs the backing plate for his transom bearings, I opted to go with no backing plate, have not seen any issues to date.

IMG_1107 (2).JPG
IMG_1110 (2).JPG
IMG_1110.JPG

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Lot's of pics of Marc's old tub here ...

Discussion here ...

IMG_3225.jpg
IMG_3596.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that has a 21-24 Vdrive cruiser with cavatation plates on it , could you post some pics? I’m trying to figure out how high to place my pillow block bezel plate. View attachment 897589

About right where those exhaust holes are lol....

From the chine on the corner of the boat, you should be between 6 and 8.5" above that to center of bar. 6"ish is more common on cruisers, 8.5"ish are more common on boats with longer pillow blocks and more vertically set turnbuckles.

If you are running electric actuator it's less critical. If you have a foot pedal over-ride its much more important to set correctly as you have a limited window of where the control rod can exit the transom (must sit below floor height), and how long the actuation arm is (longer arm needs more rod pull to move plates the correct distance)

guest hs

Reaction score

From the chine on the corner of the boat, you should be between 6 and 8.5" above that to center of bar. 6"ish is more common on cruisers, 8.5"ish are more common on boats with longer pillow blocks and more vertically set turnbuckles.

If you are running electric actuator it's less critical. If you have a foot pedal over-ride its much more important to set correctly as you have a limited window of where the control rod can exit the transom (must sit below floor height), and how long the actuation arm is (longer arm needs more rod pull to move plates the correct distance)
If I go right above the exhaust outlet flange that would put from the chine to rod center line about 9.5 Where would I find the longer turnbuckles at? I will be running an electric cav plate motor too.

SoCalZero

Reaction score
Here’s a few that i found on here off of a 24’.
Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

X Hoser

Reaction score
If I go right above the exhaust outlet flange that would put from the chine to rod center line about 9.5 Where would I find the longer turnbuckles at? I will be running an electric cav plate motor too.
Racey may chime in and have some but if not Bergeron Marine in AZ will have the turnbuckles.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

You can just take what turnbuckles you have and move them outward probably to make up the lengths, you may only need to buy the very center 1 or 2 sets.

Glenwood, Bergeron. What kind of turnbuckles are they? 3/8" Round or Hex?

guest hs

Reaction score
This boat had Bennett trim tabs on it so I don’t have any parts. I have to buy everything new

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score

Exactly this! The position of the control rod is the spot that will dictate the appropriate level of the pillow blocks. Turn buckles come in many different lengths and are very adjustable.

gottaminute?

Reaction score
A couple more but lower profile boats. Pretty much the height will be dictated by the actuation rod running along and usually within the height of the stringer. Of course with an electric actuator or bell cranks the thruhull can be anywhere. Even above the assembly.
Photo491.jpg
taurus indy4_393980914926905.jpg

Deangang

v-drive row member
Reaction score
Here’s a 22

3BBB989A-9E7B-4C6A-A07A-5E6CE6673F93.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
looking closer you are right.. needed my glasses. Lol.
LOL! Yes Dave, they all operate. I've never been a fan of the single turn buckle on the outside plates though. I have lost one on more than one occasion.

REVENGE 97

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that has a 21-24 Vdrive cruiser with cavatation plates on it , could you post some pics? I’m trying to figure out how high to place my pillow block bezel plate. View attachment 897589
At this point it's where ever it fits and doesn't effect anything on the in or outside so you don't have to make any other major changes

sintax

Reaction score
At this point it's where ever it fits and doesn't effect anything on the in or outside so you don't have to make any other major changes

that would be way too easy. I love getting things mounted only to realize it totally conflicts with something on the other side.

37 boat

Reaction score
While we're on the subject, somebody school me on electric cavitation plate actuators. Are the actuators marine specific or generic? What specs would be needed in regards to torque and travel for a Hallet Vector. I actually want to run independent left and right cav plates instead of tabs. Thanks