WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My Hallett 335 Thread

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
SoCal has had it for weeks. Every time I call they’ve got no answers it’s always they’ve got to get back to me. Not kidding. Probably 50 calls over 3 months that’s been the answer 35 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
SoCal has had it for weeks. Every time I call they’ve got no answers it’s always they’ve got to get back to me. Not kidding. Probably 50 calls over 3 months that’s been the answer 35 times.

Inhate to year things like that. Hopefully there is a positive outcome.

DWC

Reaction score

Yikes. Sorry to hear. Hope it’s 100% dialed when you get it back.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
George said they took on more work than they should have when I tried to schedule a engine & drive service a few weeks ago. No problem ive done this before, but not on big power. Mario let me know the procedure and where to get materials. Txt him with a few questions and got it did. I like those guys.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
George said they took on more work than they should have when I tried to schedule a engine & drive service a few weeks ago. No problem ive done this before, but not on big power. Mario let me know the procedure and where to get materials. Txt him with a few questions and got it did. I like those guys.

Well he got the word somehow. Just called me on his cell. Says George and Melina have both been out sick so no one to pick up phones and they’ve had a ton of work come in last few weeks. He’s got all my parts and working on the boat now. Expecting to pick it up the 30th on my way out of town for a long weekend and will be running the following week at the Dam run barring some anomaly. Like you said, great people just understaffed and overworked.

RichieRich

Reaction score
amazing boat...love the process of making it your own.
excuse my ignorance, but are these for on the side of the hull near the steps? Some kind of air inlet?
hallett.JPG

RichieRich

Reaction score
It was a step bottom design that a Hallett did that will sick air in those vents and drop it under the bottom of the boat.
that is what I thought...wonder if it didn't work that well since I haven't seen it on any other boats. Love that they tried it though

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
that is what I thought...wonder if it didn't work that well since I haven't seen it on any other boats. Love that they tried it though

It’s a very efficient design and handles well too. The V2D is the next best thing but didn’t scale well as seen on the 400T until Nordic fixed it. This hull design was also on the Gen 1 400T before the V2D design came along. I’ve driven the 290 with V2D as well and I like them both.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
It was a step bottom design that a Hallett did that will sick air in those vents and drop it under the bottom of the boat.
Also known as a vented step bottom. They did drill the holes two ways on both the Gen 1 40's and the 335's. Behind the step on some, in the bottom on some. Not sure which performs better. According to Thane one of the setups can be prone to vacuum and hold water in the step.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Also known as a vented step bottom. They did drill the holes two ways on both the Gen 1 40's and the 335's. Behind the step on some, in the bottom on some. Not sure which performs better. According to Thane one of the setups can be prone to vacuum and hold water in the step.

Here’s a Gen 2 40 with same hull

IMG_1975.jpg

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
I've noticed on mine at certain speeds and water surface you can feel the water friction break away from the back of the boat. I'm assuming that must be the air pockets working.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I've noticed on mine at certain speeds and water surface you can feel the water friction break away from the back of the boat. I'm assuming that must be the air pockets working.
What kind of boat?

FROGMAN524

Reaction score

Orange 290 right? Single Paul Pfaff?

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Update: I have not been able to get ahold of anybody at the shop since weeks ago. I've left a number of voicemails and and sent a number of emails to George and have not heard back. After my last post blasting lack of communication on the 16th, Mario called me the next morning at 8AM on the 17th. Obviously he got word from this thread or it was a major coincidence. When he did call, he said he had all the parts there and was working on the boat as we spoke to get it done. He guaranteed no problem that he would have it ready for my pickup by the 30th and I informed him I needed it no matter what by the 6th so I could run it in the 7th and 8th with family who are coming from out of state for the Dam run. I called last week to get an update and text him as well and did not hear back. George has not responded to a single email. Finally, George calls me yesterday and said that Mario told him to call me and that he got Corona Virus and that he had been out for a month and that Melina might have also gotten it as well according to Mario last I heard from him. After that, he told me they got the motors together and had a coolant leak from the intake gasket and that they would now need to take the top end apart and put it back together with a new gasket and then told me how it won't cost me extra but costs them time and money. Obviously, they've already got my boat, my parts and my money that I've sent months ago and I have no leverage now. He also mentioned another mechanic got hurt and was out so Mario was doing everything on his own. All of this is unfortunate but the most unfortunate part is he is now saying that he thinks we're going to be done with it middle of August. I told him that's crazy and no way and he said he didn't know what to tell me but that he would get with Mario and get a best guess date and call me back. That did not happen either yesterday.

On top of all of this, when Melina was at the front desk and they did pick up the phone, I wanted to add a few extra things like lit cup holders and an underwater light and I asked them to order weekly over a period of 6-10 weeks. Every time I called to confirm that they had ordered the parts and that they were there ready for install, Melina never knew the status and would have to make a note to let George or Mario know and said George does orders only on certain days and she would have to get back to me. I never heard from anyone about confirming parts were there until I spoke with Mario last week.
So, since I want this done now and not next year, I called every other shop in town, and with the exception of Prestige, who has to get back to me, everyone is booked until middle or late September for an appointment. Octane also said they might be able to fit me in and waiting for Charlie to call me back. If someone can get me ready by the Dam run I will pick the boat up today and bring it wherever it needs to go to make that happen.

Last gripes, when I dropped it off I asked that the cover be left on it between work since it was being stored outside and that I get a quote for all work before work began. Neither did I get a quote nor has the cover been on it according to eyewitness accounts several times over the last 4 months. Perfect.

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I get that shit happens, but business need to realize they have obligations to their customers. Nothing pisses me off more than spending my hard earned money just to get dicked around.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Holy crap!!! You have had nothing but bad luck with this thing... I’m sorry man! Hope it gets finished I would love to see it at the dam run

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Holy crap!!! You have had nothing but bad luck with this thing... I’m sorry man! Hope it gets finished I would love to see it at the dam run

Yeah me too

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
amazing boat...love the process of making it your own.
excuse my ignorance, but are these for on the side of the hull near the steps? Some kind of air inlet?
View attachment 899590

I’m guessing the aeration holes do work. Was just checking out an article about the newest Doug Wright 32 race hull, and they have integrated the vent holes as well.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the delay. Best of luck for a speedy completion.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Damn man, sorry to hear. I couldn't imagine going through a project right now. This season has just been crazy. I can't believe how booked out these shops are.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I know your pain. It’s tough to be at the mercy of others especially when you have time and lots of $$$$ invested, as well as planned trips and family coming in, etc.

Been there, done that. Hopefully it all gets situated. What I see happen is they get little jobs that come in off the street, quick cash. An hour here, an hour there. Next thing you know, they’ve taken 10 walk-in’s and your shit goes neglected for a few days. Days turn to weeks.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Update: I have not been able to get ahold of anybody at the shop since weeks ago. I've left a number of voicemails and and sent a number of emails to George and have not heard back. After my last post blasting lack of communication on the 16th, Mario called me the next morning at 8AM on the 17th. Obviously he got word from this thread or it was a major coincidence. When he did call, he said he had all the parts there and was working on the boat as we spoke to get it done. He guaranteed no problem that he would have it ready for my pickup by the 30th and I informed him I needed it no matter what by the 6th so I could run it in the 7th and 8th with family who are coming from out of state for the Dam run. I called last week to get an update and text him as well and did not hear back. George has not responded to a single email. Finally, George calls me yesterday and said that Mario told him to call me and that he got Corona Virus and that he had been out for a month and that Melina might have also gotten it as well according to Mario last I heard from him. After that, he told me they got the motors together and had a coolant leak from the intake gasket and that they would now need to take the top end apart and put it back together with a new gasket and then told me how it won't cost me extra but costs them time and money. Obviously, they've already got my boat, my parts and my money that I've sent months ago and I have no leverage now. He also mentioned another mechanic got hurt and was out so Mario was doing everything on his own. All of this is unfortunate but the most unfortunate part is he is now saying that he thinks we're going to be done with it middle of August. I told him that's crazy and no way and he said he didn't know what to tell me but that he would get with Mario and get a best guess date and call me back. That did not happen either yesterday.

On top of all of this, when Melina was at the front desk and they did pick up the phone, I wanted to add a few extra things like lit cup holders and an underwater light and I asked them to order weekly over a period of 6-10 weeks. Every time I called to confirm that they had ordered the parts and that they were there ready for install, Melina never knew the status and would have to make a note to let George or Mario know and said George does orders only on certain days and she would have to get back to me. I never heard from anyone about confirming parts were there until I spoke with Mario last week.
So, since I want this done now and not next year, I called every other shop in town, and with the exception of Prestige, who has to get back to me, everyone is booked until middle or late September for an appointment. Octane also said they might be able to fit me in and waiting for Charlie to call me back. If someone can get me ready by the Dam run I will pick the boat up today and bring it wherever it needs to go to make that happen.

Last gripes, when I dropped it off I asked that the cover be left on it between work since it was being stored outside and that I get a quote for all work before work began. Neither did I get a quote nor has the cover been on it according to eyewitness accounts several times over the last 4 months. Perfect.

Did you try Image marine? Pro marine? I’m trying to think of some others that you might not have thought of initially

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Have not heard of either but I will contact them both

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Did you try Image marine? Pro marine? I’m trying to think of some others that you might not have thought of initially

Tom said 3 weeks out to look at it and Dylan said 2 weeks out to get started on it. Can’t do anything till I get a full status from Mario who was water testing earlier when the girl at the front desk answered the phone. She said she’d have him call me in about 2 hours which is about 1PM today.

DaveH

Reaction score
It’s a very efficient design and handles well too. The V2D is the next best thing but didn’t scale well as seen on the 400T until Nordic fixed it. This hull design was also on the Gen 1 400T before the V2D design came along. I’ve driven the 290 with V2D as well and I like them both.

handles well? tell that to the owners of them who have spun them out and tossed people out of the boat.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
handles well? tell that to the owners of them who have spun them out and tossed people out of the boat.

Are you talking about my bottom design or V2D? The 360 was the one with problems and that’s a totally separate design of its own.

DaveH

Reaction score
Are you talking about my bottom design or V2D? The 360 was the one with problems and that’s a totally separate design of its own.

i dont know the trade name of the Hallett stepped and vented bottom that undeniably had some issues.

not trying to rag on Hallet as they have a long history of building proven boats.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Front desk and Mario won’t respond. Spoke with George just now and told him if they can’t get me a status and they don’t know what the condition of the boat is I’m going to have another shop finish it and we’ll get the boat and parts picked up. George said that’s an excellent idea an said he’d let Mario know that’s what I want to do.

Edit: George called back, said they’ll have it done by the 7th. Either way, I’ll be there to either take it to the lake or take it to Image Marine to finish it.

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

This thread has become a tough one.... you're vested in this group deep enough where they might have you trapped... now you're scrambling trying to get a shop to do something fast to get you on water for a specific gathering, family traveling to attend, etc.... totally sucks. Marine shops are so booked out right now at the coast as well. If it is any consolation, these situations are occurring elsewhere too. Wishing you the best on making your date... try to keep a healthy perspective and know that a year from now this will be a distant memory and you'll be enjoying a great boat.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Man I would be pissed!!!! But your kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. Best of luck man.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Front desk and Mario won’t respond. Spoke with George just now and told him if they can’t get me a status and they don’t know what the condition of the boat is I’m going to have another shop finish it and we’ll get the boat and parts picked up. George said that’s an excellent idea an said he’d let Mario know that’s what I want to do. Fuck those guys! Didn’t even ask for my business after I gave them $50,000 almost 2 months ago.

Very short sighted.... and additionally it sounds as if folks from this shop are watching this thread. Bad business choice in that small town. Reputations are everything I bet out there.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Front desk and Mario won’t respond. Spoke with George just now and told him if they can’t get me a status and they don’t know what the condition of the boat is I’m going to have another shop finish it and we’ll get the boat and parts picked up. George said that’s an excellent idea an said he’d let Mario know that’s what I want to do. Fuck those guys! Didn’t even ask for my business after I gave them $50,000 almost 2 months ago.

I tried to get them to drop in a new motor about a year ago because a buddy said they did good work. They were answering calls intermittently. The lady who normally answered finally mentioned that my caller ID for my cell phone was my law firm and that they were currently having some not so fun calls from law firms. So they had been avoiding my calls. They said they would get me a quote for the work. I never expected one and I'm glad I didn't get it.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I have an idea for you..... plan B and worst case.... if I had my boat out your way, after reading this and following your thread from the beginning I wouldn't hesitate to offer you my vessel so you can enjoy your gathering with family that you have looked forward to so much. I'll just throw the concept out there to our fellow inmates.... never hurts to ask... so fellas, if need be can anyone help him out? It'd be low risk/ high reward scenario.... we can tell he's got the bucks to fix anything he breaks.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Might be a situation where its better to leave it where it sits. Nothing good comes out of two shops having there hands involved in a engine/drive build imho.

You still aren't going to hit your deadline unfortunately.

We are living in crazy times. I ordered $3500 in king shocks that were supposed to be done in june so i could install them before i went on a big offroad trip. Lets just say i'm still waiting and it was supposed to be next week since the first of july. I talked to well respected boat shop about dialing in the carb on our hallett a couple months back and they said they could probably get me in sometime in september or october....i almost fell down because 5 months seemed crazy but appreciated the honest reply.

If they legitimately got sick it's unfortunate and sucks but shit happens. Don't make a crappy situation a terrible situation.

brownsuger

Reaction score
Color me late to the party.... I get being upset about not being kept up to date on the progress.... Having a small business of my own I know 1st hand how hard it can be to keep customers apprised of the work and actually getting the work done. Cell phones have been a savior for me in keeping in contact.... (I've been around long enough to remember when there were no cell phones) I text pics to my customers at least weekly....
Having said all that.... I would react the same way as they did when you said you would take the boat to another shop.... I haven't had that happen, but at my age, I don't take a whole lot of crap from customers.... and I turn away as much work as I take, either because the person or company is hard to deal with, or I just don't want to do it. It took me a long time to figure out that I'm going to do what I do well and let others do what they do well....

Anyway, best of luck and I hope it all works out

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Color me late to the party.... I get being upset about not being kept up to date on the progress.... Having a small business of my own I know 1st hand how hard it can be to keep customers apprised of the work and actually getting the work done. Cell phones have been a savior for me in keeping in contact.... (I've been around long enough to remember when there were no cell phones) I text pics to my customers at least weekly....
Having said all that.... I would react the same way as they did when you said you would take the boat to another shop.... I haven't had that happen, but at my age, I don't take a whole lot of crap from customers.... and I turn away as much work as I take, either because the person or company is hard to deal with, or I just don't want to do it. It took me a long time to figure out that I'm going to do what I do well and let others do what they do well....

Anyway, best of luck and I hope it all works out

If I owned a service business, customer service is part of the deal. Make a list of customers who need to be updated on their projects and after close of business every Friday, spend 5 or less minutes each keeping them apprised of the situation, especially when you’ve set and missed deadlines but also cashed their large checks. Not that hard in my opinion to keep threads like this from turning to to shit shows.

Believe me, I’ve had a few truck builds done at highly reputable shops and shit happens but when you’re totally honest and up front with the customer it makes a big difference in attitudes.

I’ll update in 10 days with good news I hope.

hallett21

Reaction score
Can you post exactly what needs to be done and your contact? I know the shop guys are on here, just sometimes silent. Maybe you get lucky?

Edit: speaking about a new shop that may have some miraculous opening

Last edited:

Jay Dub

Reaction score
wow, this has been such a hard thread to follow. It makes my stomach hurt. FWIW I would not advise taking your unfinished boat to another shop to be finished. Been there done that with sports cars. The "new" shop always complains that the "first" shop did not do something correctly etc. Which always meant more money. My Hallett 210 lives in Havasu and you could use it if you are boat-less when your family arrives. I am sorry that you are going thru all of this.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Oh boy. The 36 was the shitty bottom you are thinking of. Why spout off instead of asking a question?

Riverryder

Reaction score
@Jay Dub my boat works but I don’t want to tow it and I’ve always wanted to drive a 210 can I take you up
If he doesn’t?

River918

Reaction score
Might be a situation where its better to leave it where it sits. Nothing good comes out of two shops having there hands involved in a engine/drive build imho.

^^^^ I agreee 100%. If you have two shops working on these motors and something goes wrong, they will point fingers to the other shop as to whom is to blame.