WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bad boat accident at mouth of river

Mikes56

Reaction score
You go to the lake with a bunch of friends, and a few of them don't come back. I can't imagine. Be really careful everyone, and if you're driving, don't drink!

sdpm

Reaction score
E53AC1E7-FEBF-40F7-8CEB-FE454B4F7978.jpeg

Very sad. Sounds like it could be this boat. I saw this boat yesterday morning while getting gas. A few others we taking pictures as well.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Tragic for all involved. We are heading out this morning, does anyone know if there are any active closures? Want to steer well clear and let the search teams do their jobs.

Reactions: DWC

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Horrible news to wake up to this morning. Thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFMFG

Reaction score
i am hearing conflicting stories of what kind of boat it was. Please let me know if you find out. I keep hearing it was a certain type of large boat. If it indeed was a large Silver CC (mti) I’d like to know ASAP.
If you zoom in on the pics it kinda looks like an mti SBR

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Sad to read this mornomg. Stay safe out there everyone.

beerrun

Reaction score
Not trying to start anything but how does this happen so often in Lake havasau. The lower river very rarely has this happen and down in the Martinez area the river is narrow and the channel where boats can actually run is even smaller. It has happened down there but not very often

sirbob

Reaction score
Rip to all...

Was this coming around reed island?

Was it north of that by the buoy line that says no skiing through the reserve?

MTI go over the top of a smaller boat?

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Not trying to start anything but how does this happen so often in Lake havasau. The lower river very rarely has this happen and down in the Martinez area the river is narrow and the channel where boats can actually run is even smaller. It has happened down there but not very often
And there seem to be a lot of accidents around dusk...

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
You should see how many accidents and drownings happen on Lake Lanier in Atlanta. Size of the lake really isn’t the issue...

Reactions: DWC

beerrun

Reaction score
You should see how many accidents and drownings happen on Lake Lanier in Atlanta. Size of the lake really isn’t the issue...
It just seems like you would see a 42' boat and maybe move over

havasuhusker

Reaction score
Such a tragedy. Prayers to all involved.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score

Those that know what occurred are not going to post anything, so no one really knows what occurred.
We don’t even know where it went down, going around reed island to get into the river or up my the no skiing marker.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
And there seem to be a lot of accidents around dusk...

As a Havasu newbie I’ve noticed that the glare at dusk can be phenomenal, coupled with the sheer volume of boats all headed to the barn at dusk most days.

There’s a lot of big fast boats, a lot of just about every kind of boat.

But the first couple times I ever took my little boat out I was like...”holy shit”!

This summer especially. The boat traffic is crazy.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
As a Havasu newbie I’ve noticed that the glare at dusk can phenomenal, coupled with the sheer volume of boats all headed to the barn at dusk most days.

There’s a lot of big fast boats, a lot of just about every kind of boat.

But the first couple times I ever took my little boat out I was like...”holy shit”!

This summer especially. The boat traffic is crazy.

this. The glare heading north from 530ish to sunset is insane.
Also the traffic on Fri, Sat and Sun is what Sat was like in years past.

boatpi

Reaction score
1. Inattention.
2. Just like when driving an automobile over driving due to road conditions water conditions traffic glaring sun and everything else.

rrrr

Reaction score

It's not the responsibility of slower boats to 'move over'. The overtaking vessel does not have the right of way over the stand on vessel.

If a faster and larger boat runs over a smaller and slower boat, it's clear who is at fault. I'm not saying that's what happened, just stating the laws of navigation on the water are unequivocal.

Last edited:

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Way more people on this side of the dam.

Singleton

Reaction score
It's not the responsibility of slower boats to 'move over'. The overtaking vessel does not have the right of way to the stand on vessel.

If a faster and larger boat runs over a smaller and slower boat, it's clear who is at fault. I'm not saying that's what happened, just stating the laws of navigation on the water are unequivocal.

@BoatCop will be along to answer
My understanding is overtaking vessel has to yield to stand on vessel. you pass to the left of stand on, thus putting stand on vessel in overtaking danger zone

riverroyal

Reaction score
No new news? I surprised we havent heard about the other boat. Only info is big CC that is silver?

mobldj

Reaction score
The dock was a different issue.. wife was getting ready to hop off the boat and heard a crunch and splash about 30 feet away. Guy in an Advantage thought it was D Day and stormed the docks. Luckily the guy that fell off his boat was ok.

That got my kids attention and my main concern was navigating through the newbies and inebriated operators at no wake speeds.
i fkn hate drunk mofos.fkn idiots

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
The river isn't very wide when you factor in the shallow areas and a couple narrow openings
We were the only ones heading south that day late morning.
I was hugging the shoreline and there were boats coming towards us sometimes 4 abreast and on the wrong side of the river.
When it's busy in both directions it's just a matter of time before something happens like this
And the people that know to stay close to the island when going up river or south to the lake there's barely enough room for 2 way traffic.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Wasn’t gonna go there being we have no idea who was involved or what happened. But, it might be a part of it.

Nothing against weekenders, just pointing out that the folks who frequent certain areas tend to be considerably more familiar with hazards and etiquette of the area. For a newb, they need to feel it out and learn it the same way we all had to learn.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Tragic news. Prayers go out to all involved. Far too soon to begin making suppositions and quoting Rules of the Road. Reports indicate 2 fatalities, may they RIP. Let the investigators do their jobs. But, without any doubt visibility can be restricted at that time of day. Restricted visibility is not always caused by fog. In times of restricted visibility, slow down.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
@BoatCop will be along to answer
My understanding is overtaking vessel has to yield to stand on vessel. you pass to the left of stand on, thus putting stand on vessel in overtaking danger zone
I doubt 99% of the boaters on Havasu know the boating rules. Especially when entering / exiting at the narrow mouth of the river.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Tragic news. Prayers go out to all involved. Far too soon to begin making suppositions and quoting Rules of the Road. Reports indicate 2 fatalities, may they RIP. Let the investigators do their jobs. But, without any doubt visibility can be restricted at that time of day. Restricted visibility is not always caused by fog. In times of restricted visibility, slow down.

Rules of the road. :rolleyes:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I doubt 99% of the boaters on Havasu know the boating rules. Especially when entering / exiting at the narrow mouth of the river.

To be fair, in waters like that...rules sort of go out the window and common sense and courtesy needs to take over. On the lower river, where there is a channel, one simply cannot follow all the rules without running aground.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
You over come any slower boat in the same direction if that happened fault will be determined . Also if in a busy waterway it’s always safe and courteous to others

Singleton

Reaction score
Prayers and thoughts to those family and friends that lost a loved one!
Same to those involved that walked away, the mental recovery when involved in something like this has to be very difficult.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Prayers to all involved, and may those who lost their lives R.I.P.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Wow this is just shocking. I’m friends with the SBR guys and the driver is always sober and he’s a very good driver. Been on their boats with him driving many times on both havasu and Powell. I don’t know any details except what I’ve read here but prayers for all involved. So sorry to read this. RIP to the dead and prayers for the families and victims of all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrrr

Reaction score
Tragic news. Prayers go out to all involved. Far too soon to begin making suppositions and quoting Rules of the Road.

I made no supposition. In fact, I specifically said so.

If that's true, why have so many people complained about California's mandatory boater education law? I certainly wouldn't want to share a narrow body of water with dozens of boaters that are ignorant of the most basic procedures that govern safety and are the law.

To be fair, in waters like that...rules sort of go out the window and common sense and courtesy needs to take over. On the lower river, where there is a channel, one simply cannot follow all the rules without running aground.

Again, I don't want to risk my life assuming other boaters have 'common sense'.

And again, let me be perfectly clear. I am making no judgement whatsoever regarding the tragedy last night. I'm simply pointing out the law, and I don't need BoatCop to know what those laws are. That some of you apparently don't is frankly alarming.

Last edited:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I made no supposition. I fact, I specifically said so.

If that's true, why have so many people complained about California's mandatory boater education law? I certainly wouldn't want to share a narrow body of water with dozens of boaters that are ignorant of the most basic procedures that govern safety and are the law.

Again, I don't want to risk my life assuming other boaters have 'common sense'.

And again, let me be perfectly clear. I am making no judgement whatsoever regarding the tragedy last night. I'm simply pointing out the law, and I don't need BoatCop to know what those laws are. That some of you apparently don't is frankly alarming.
Well you better stay in Texas or wherever you boat, if you still do. Havasu has been a free for all for years. Been boating on Havasu for 35 years. Most just use common sense. But others don’t.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
When things like this happen I really wish everyone would reserve their comments about people not following rules and speculating about who was drinking or not drinking. There are people who are dead or injured and there are people on here that know the people involved. So how about you guys with your suppositions just keep that shit quiet until the facts come out and the people personally involved, either directly or indirectly, are able to process the incident and mourn? Unless you KNOW what happened or KNOW if someone was drinking please shut the fuck up.

guest hs

Reaction score
Kinda dangerous going threw that part now when entering the river. Having to aim for the center of reed island then cutting into the river with a blind right hand turn aiming right for traffic coming out of the river toward the lake it can be pretty dangerous any time of the day.