WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bad boat accident at mouth of river

Bleakish Times

Reaction score
Keep in mind “Fast” is relative. Why we think is cruising most people feel like is flying. I took a family member for a cruise in the stoker once. Maybe did 75 max. And when we got to the dock they were shaking and talking about how they thought they were going to die.
I've been that person (as a boy... low free-board speed boat ~ I was sitting right next to the engine :eek: )

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Best way to navigate this area is to slow down and come off plane or just go for it with boat riding high and dry?

IMO spend as little time possible in the area.. That said a boat on plane doesn’t draft much less water at 35-40 than it does at 60.. so personally I go through on plane but not WOT

Last edited:

wishiknew

Reaction score
Boys, nothing I've said was an assumption. Apparently some folks are upset about my perception of boat speed, but other than that, it is what it is. Dead friends, hard facts, broken hearts. I made an account because I had no info on the other boat, and I felt it was proper to add what I knew to the conversation. And maybe at least one person here will consider having a DD, or putting on a lifejacket once in a while, or slowing down. To that extent, maybe I've helped someone avoid a similar heartbreak, and that makes posting worthwhile. I'm not going to get sucked into the unhealthy anonymous sniping that seems to exist on most social media/forum stuff. Logging off forever. Be safe out there.
Thank you for the info and please come back at a better time and prayers to all your friends

Bleakish Times

Reaction score
I have done the Gorge run one time all the way up to Topock (from Havasu Springs)... beautiful run... but at times, the Gorge had a zoo like atmosphere. No rhyme or reason where everyone was piloting their watercraft. o_O

Would I do it again... probably, but only early on a weekday. My sincere condolences go out to all those affected. :(

lbhsbz

Reaction score
IMO spend as little time possible in the area.. That said a boat on plane doesn’t draft much less water at 35-40 than it does at 60.. so personally I go through on plane but not WOT

In a tunnel...when it starts packing air it drafts a bit more than half the prop diameter...in my little Mod VP...WOT I’ve run through 10” of water without hitting the prop. At ski speeds, I need 2 feet. If things start looking hairy...I pin it, cross my fingers, and pick my feet up...because if I Come off plane...I need 3 feet

bentprops

Reaction score
Preyers for all involved. Ocean boat runs over lake boat, Ocean boat wins every time.

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
On my boat I think I gain about 1 to 2 inches diff at 60 compared to 30.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't know the transom in the pic...so I guess I'm relieved, though definitely not "happy". Been working in the garage out here, family is at home...makes you think about time and distance between you and loved ones. These people were someone's kids, maybe someone's parents. It doesn't matter how or why, what's done is done. If it was something we all can learn from, or reinforce or remind us of things we should know, maybe some losses will not be totally in vain.

As for speed and relativity to others, I get it. I have never had a "fast" boat. I try to give them lots of room, none of us have brakes. The fastest I own is maybe 60ish. Quite literally half the speed of some guys here. At 60, things can still happen very fast.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Boys, nothing I've said was an assumption. Apparently some folks are upset about my perception of boat speed, but other than that, it is what it is. Dead friends, hard facts, broken hearts. I made an account because I had no info on the other boat, and I felt it was proper to add what I knew to the conversation. And maybe at least one person here will consider having a DD, or putting on a lifejacket once in a while, or slowing down. To that extent, maybe I've helped someone avoid a similar heartbreak, and that makes posting worthwhile. I'm not going to get sucked into the unhealthy anonymous sniping that seems to exist on most social media/forum stuff. Logging off forever. Be safe out there.

Sorry for your loss.

You commented about a DD, were the operators intoxicated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddy

Reaction score
Can’t idle through. Too shallow 90% of the area. Gotta keep up on plane and props up
I never reply to statements like this, but this is a 100% wrong. If it is to shallow to go slow it is to shallow to go fast.(I'm a licensed yacht captain, drive a 130' and also responsible for a 52 ' MTI and numerous other boats). The area in question should be a no wake especially on busy weekends.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I never reply to statements like this, but this is a 100% wrong. If it is to shallow to go slow it is to shallow to go fast.(I'm a licensed yacht captain, drive a 130' and also responsible for a 52 ' MTI and numerous other boats). The area in question should be a no wake especially on busy weekends.

You have most likely been down to the lower river near Yuma. Using your theory, you wouldn’t be able to navigate half the river after July or so. Especially in the winter.

wzuber

Reaction score
I will add that they were moving very fast, and they had the sun at their backs. I did not see the video of the crash (and will never watch it) but the IG videos leading up to the crash shows the circumstances. No life jackets. Speed. Booze. Fucking so not worth it. This has just destroyed three families, several small businesses, and countless dreams. What an awful, stupid tragedy.
so very sorry for you and your friends and families loss. I can't begin to imagine the pain. Thank you for taking a moment to step in and clarify some of the story. Hopefully the speculation will stop now.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss.

You commented about a DD, were the operators intoxicated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m gathering that from his comment that the people on the red boat may have been?????

New to boating

Reaction score
The preferred entryway to the river (headed north from the lake into the river) used to be the "zig-zag" route traveling from east to west and then headed in hugging the reed island but then it seems to have changed over the last year or so and now almost everyone seems to approach it from the west side (hugging the reed island) and the navigational set up for that happens quite a ways earlier in the lake.. You can't see what is coming out of the river when you do it that way - when you "zig-zag" you can see it all and your entry point is much deeper into the opening of the river so it seems a lot safer .... I still do it that way, did it today and I was the only one doing it that way, probably 10 boats headed into the river at the same time doing it the "new way".

I don't know the reason people changed the way they approach it other than possibly water depth ? - as long as you are running a pretty decent clip going in I have never beached or hurt props with the zig-zag method.

A couple years ago we spent hours with a depth meter mapping out the best/safest/deepest zig zag approch. I still do it that exact way and always check the www.usbr.gov for water depth before I head down there. Seems like as long as its 447 or above and even high 446's as long as your not off plane going in is okay but I would be interested in other opinions.

Didn't see any sign of ongoing accident investigation today - ran all the way to the no wake zone, very crowded - say one sherriff boat on the shore but that was was past the opening to the river.

wzuber

Reaction score
I’m gathering that from his comment that the people on the red boat may have been?????
It wasn't specified regarding driver but did elude to the fact of it being a possibility from the way I read it. It's a mute point at the moment. We all know the inherent potential risks when mixing the two.

JJK94

Reaction score
It was speculation that it happened around the island is that fact now? Was it head on or ?

Singleton

Reaction score
The preferred entryway to the river (headed north from the lake into the river) used to be the "zig-zag" route traveling from east to west and then headed in hugging the reed island but then it seems to have changed over the last year or so and now almost everyone seems to approach it from the west side (hugging the reed island) and the navigational set up for that happens quite a ways earlier in the lake.. You can't see what is coming out of the river when you do it that way - when you "zig-zag" you can see it all and your entry point is much deeper into the opening of the river so it seems a lot safer .... I still do it that way, did it today and I was the only one doing it that way, probably 10 boats headed into the river at the same time doing it the "new way".

I don't know the reason people changed the way they approach it other than possibly water depth ? - as long as you are running a pretty decent clip going in I have never beached or hurt props with the zig-zag method.

A couple years ago we spent hours with a depth meter mapping out the best/safest/deepest zig zag approch. I still do it that exact way and always check the www.usbr.gov for water depth before I head down there. Seems like as long as its 447 or above and even high 446's as long as your not off plane going in is okay but I would be interested in other opinions.

Didn't see any sign of ongoing accident investigation today - ran all the way to the no wake zone, very crowded - say one sherriff boat on the shore but that was was past the opening to the river.

based on photos the East To west zig zag has limited channels. Used that route up until last year.

Attachments

• D0DF626D-737A-4FD8-9D75-B7A72A358739.jpeg
    D0DF626D-737A-4FD8-9D75-B7A72A358739.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 695
  • 6AD5F6DF-5C87-458E-92A6-898730A0C0A2.png
    6AD5F6DF-5C87-458E-92A6-898730A0C0A2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 689

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
It wasn't specified regarding driver but did elude to the fact of it being a possibility from the way I read it. It's a mute point at the moment. We all know the inherent potential risks when mixing the two.

MOOT POINT? not really 🤔

USMC2010

Reaction score
based on photos the East To west zig zag has limited channels. Used that route up until last year.
It looks worse on a map than in person for those that don't know. Visibility around the island is good unless sunset or going stupid fast. I don't know what stupid fast is but I've never thought it to be a blind issue.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Is discussing, blaming etc. going to change the events that took place? NO =may I suggest some anger management classes to you? :)

Anger was never an a mentioned issue. I got the feeling you think it does not matter WHY an accident that Killed two people happened?

Now I guess if was me and or my family, friends etc. that were ones involved because of (?) well that might change things.

You know every one is different.:confused:

Performance Grips

Reaction score
These threads always get so off track. People died. No one knows why yet. Everyone wants to be the first to report what happened. Everyone wants to put they're two cents in. Everyone wants to be right and argue. It like being in the political section. We are all curious to what went down but families are involved and speculation and adding to the problem doesn't help anyone.

Riverryder

Reaction score
maybe now they well dredge more or clean up weeds so there can be an alternative route. Last time I went to havasu there were 3 cc coming up and 3 fast cats right behind. I was showing my brother the preferred route so we were just idling after seeing that I chose to not go fast threw it. Maybe they should start a light goin up and down from the river to lake?? Kind of like when you hit a construction area and there’s only one lane and they have a stop for one way while the other goes? I honestly don’t like going passed the sand bar unless I have to go to havasu for gas.
Sorry for this involved. Sucks to hear.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
People make mistakes. People also have accidents. If we are lucky enough, we get the chance to learn from both. Either we learn to make different decisions, or we learn how to try and avoid the accidents. There are times though, when the individual, or individuals, do not get that opportunity. It's in those times when we owe it to their memory to learn from their actions.

Reading the previous pages, I think that's what can be agreed upon. We all have different ways of saying what is felt. In general, we all feel for the families, of those lost and those who survived. Blame can be placed, but changes nothing. It can serve to teach us though, if and when we find out what has happened.

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
This is such a terrible terrible tragedy. RIP !!!
To All involved I can’t even imagine what they’re going through.
I’ve been running that stretch of the river since before there was a London bridge and it’s always been marginal. No way around it.

Now when I go through I go as slow as possible and try and stay to my side of the road.

I agree with RD. Stay on the plane at a speed where you’re maneuverable to the point where you can stop. On your side of the river. Bad things happen when people go on the WRONG SIDE. I never know where to go I force myself to go to the right almost into the rocks trying to force the rules of the road. Very frustrating sometimes.

what are the facts? What exactly happened? Big MTI V and what other boat involved.

Tank

Reaction score

Don’t know where you capt but safest way through this river opening is stay on plane. Anyone that boats there knows this. Go idle your 52 MTI through there and let me know how it goes.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
That’s not true. A performance planing hull drafts less when planes at speed then at no wake speeds. Your 130’ yacht is a displacement hull which is not the same.

The simply fact is the USCG needs to mark the path with nav bouys and needs to dredge both sides or this will continue to happen.

Singleton

Reaction score
What’s holding them back from dredge both sides of the reed island?
This would give us a side to go up on and a side to come out.
Problem solved....

same as everything.
money and liability. Channel shifts continually

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Problem solved....

The method of dredging used a few years ago did not actually remove material.Not sure what they call it,jet system providing large volume of water relocates material.We watched the Landing harbor work,nothing really removed that i saw.Could be wrong,same system was used for the no wake channel at mouth.Actually a way of getting it done temporarily.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
May the deceased rest in peace, the injured recover quickly. To the families and all involved , may you recover as best you can. To all of us boaters, let's take away from this, anything we can to make it safer for all.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
RIP to those who died, sucks every time.

But I don’t follow how changing the river’s geographical parameters is going to stop boat crashes.
What WILL stop deaths is speed limits and regs. And that’s what’ll happen if people want to get agencies involved. They don’t care about your prop, or your boats minimum draft.
Dredging the river into a 2 lane waterway?
Sorry, that only happens for commerce.

Looking Glass

Reaction score

The method of dredging used a few years ago did not actually remove material.Not sure what they call it,jet system providing large volume of water relocates material.We watched the Landing harbor work,nothing really removed that i saw.Could be wrong,same system was used for the no wake channel at mouth.Actually a way of getting it done temporarily.

Dredging a River, Moving Water is not a one time or a once in awhile operation. Research the Mississippi River, they dredge constantly to keep a Shipping Lane open. The river bottom is always moving and fills in Low Spots.
I don't know who "The Government" refers to, but especially in these times the River Channel is the last thing on the "LIST"

Outlaw Boat Transport

Reaction score
Problem solved....

the problem is the current is strong in the river so when you dredge and the water slows as it enters the lake the sand and silt from the fast current drops to the bottom so if you dredge it will fill back up pretty quick

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
This thread is WAY off trac RIP to the people that died and hope everyone else recovers Quickly Please no more about the shifting lanes

Par for the course.... boat accidents are just that.. accidents. RIP to those involved. This will go on for another 10 pages of people debating unrelated details and preaching they never drink a drop, always wear their life vest, and always wear their lanyards, and anyone that does anything else is a moron endangering everyone else on the water.