WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Attempted stolen catalytic converter

4Waters

Reaction score
Last night my dad's neighbor was in his backyard at about 10:00 when he heard the distinctive sawzall sound. It took all of 10sec for them to nearly cut it off, and by nearly I mean they were less than a 1/4" from it cutting all the way through on the front, the back was cut through. I welded it back up for him.

20200801_172425.jpg

20200801_172434.jpg

20200801_172442.jpg

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
They need to crack down on the buyers but this shit is the typical California circle. Think about this

1. Car must meet strict Ca. air emmisions and exhaust equipment warranty. And have all the compliance stamps. All that shit and testing and validations costs mega $$$ that funnels back into California's pocket. And I'm sure the OEM equipment supply chain has business ties to Ca. govt so and so's

2. You must pay for smog, crazy high registration and fees towards "air quality"

3. #2 cycle repeats over and over

4. Your cat gets stolen

5. Buddy buddy kickback's are obviously happening from the metal recyclers. They can't legitimately explain the sudden volume of cats. And they are supposed to be tracked to a VIN so Ca. knows you removed them

6. You need new cat but wait you need that CARB stamp

7. Your $268 cat is now $579 because it had CARB stamped on it

8. Repeat cycle

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Please tell me that the guy was caught and his bell rung or clock cleaned. I hate f‘n thieves and the politicians that make the crimes carry no penalties.

4Waters

Reaction score
Please tell me that the guy was caught and his bell rung or clock cleaned. I hate f‘n thieves and the politicians that make the crimes carry no penalties.
Unfortunately no they got away, one guy under the truck and one in the get away vehicle. He yelled and his wife banged on the fence while he ran in the house to grab his gun, when he got out front they were 2 houses down in a rented Uhaul. Probably rented on a stolen CC.

Icky

Reaction score
Unfortunately no they got away, one guy under the truck and one in the get away vehicle. He yelled and his wife banged on the fence while he ran in the house to grab his gun, when he got out front they were 2 houses down in a rented Uhaul. Probably rented on a stolen CC.
They were renting uhauls to steal mail as well around my house

4Waters

Reaction score
This guy is a contractor, this truck is needed for him to make money. Fucking cock suckers! At least they didn't actually get it and I was able to make quick work of the welding.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
This guy is a contractor, this truck is needed for him to make money. Fucking cock suckers! At least they didn't actually get it and I was able to make quick work of the welding.

That is true the fix is not that bad if you know what you are doing. Still things are so rugged up these days. We need people hung from trees once again.....

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
They put a vin number on bumpers and fenders. Stamp or laser the vin into the cat and only allow a recycler to process it with proof of title. Done.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
They put a vin number on bumpers and fenders. Stamp or laser the vin into the cat and only allow a recycler to process it with proof of title. Done.

Or just eliminate the stupid law requiring CA only cats. Your car will pass any sniffer test with a 49 state cat provided everything else is in working order.

This kills the market for used OE stolen cats.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
That is true the fix is not that bad if you know what you are doing. Still things are so rugged up these days. We need people hung from trees once again.....
We NEED lot's of hangings in this Country right NOW. Fucking scumbags get away with anything and everything. Not one person is accountable for their actions any longer. If this Country could hang 100 of these cocksuckers on National Television, my bet is a lot of bullshit would stop and if it didn't, keep on hanging!!!! :mad: :mad:

grumpy88

Reaction score
Simi pd on a Saturday with nothing to do . I would of thought they would of locked the city down and caught the fuckers . Like said above . Go after the body shops and scrap yards . While there there pick up the air bags and tail gates !

4Waters

Reaction score
Simi pd on a Saturday with nothing to do . I would of thought they would of locked the city down and caught the fuckers . Like said above . Go after the body shops and scrap yards . While there there pick up the air bags and tail gates !
Since it wasn't actually taken he didn't call the police to take a report.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
We NEED lot's of hangings in this Country right NOW. Fucking scumbags get away with anything and everything. Not one person is accountable for their actions any longer. If this Country could hang 100 of these cocksuckers on National Television, my bet is a lot of bullshit would stop and if it didn't, keep on hanging!!!! :mad: :mad:
You’re right about needing hangings , just heard a municipality in Michigan just auctioned off a mans house over an $8 unpaid property tax bill . And not 1 person was accountable ! Yes , I said $8 !

4Waters

Reaction score
You’re right about needing hangings , just heard a municipality in Michigan just auctioned off a mans house over an $8 unpaid property tax bill . And not 1 person was accountable ! Yes , I said $8 !
Took that guys home away for 8 bucks but if a protester burned it down nothing would happen to said protester. SMH

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

You miss the step where the recyclers are in on it...

Same thing with copper theft. Scrap dealers aren't supposed to take large amounts of the stuff but they do.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Since it wasn't actually taken he didn't call the police to take a report.

legit attempt

Reports create stats....... Not to mention the PC to stop a u haul at night and FIR the occupants and maybe result in a good obs arrest

The liberal courts frown on the regularly used PC, even when its righteous..... Its always nice to have fresh and justifiable PC....

PaPaG

Reaction score
POS thieves. They all need to learn a valuable lesson......

bocco

Reaction score
How likely is a local smog shop to notice a non CARB converter? Will online auto parts stores ship a non CARB converter to Ca?

4Waters

Reaction score
How likely is a local smog shop to notice a non CARB converter? Will online auto parts stores ship a non CARB converter to Ca?
99% of smog shops won't know and no they will not ship into California, I've had to ship them to family in Nevada.

4Waters

Reaction score
legit attempt

Reports create stats....... Not to mention the PC to stop a u haul at night and FIR the occupants and maybe result in a good obs arrest

The liberal courts frown on the regularly used PC, even when its righteous..... Its always nice to have fresh and justifiable PC....
The Uhaul was almost definitely rented on a stolen CC and they won't go turn it in, they will just dump it and walk away.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
The Uhaul was almost definitely rented on a stolen CC and they won't go turn it in, they will just dump it and walk away.
Understand.. You're probably right....

Not necessarily to ID these thieves but future thieves and undesirables ..... just saying, so many benefits for LEO if they are aware and it's documented

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score

Any “by the book” smog places aren’t going to risk losing their license because you wanted to save a buck. It’ll be extremely obvious in their visual inspection when there’s a shiney new cat and non factory welds. Now my Mini Cooper cat sits inside a heat shield and you can’t even see it. But all smog shops have to do a visual inspection. Make sure o2s don’t have cheater extensions, cats are oem or carb compliant and “group size” correct, etc.

You’ll have to find a shop willing to skip visual. If you gamble thinking they won’t do it and they do, you’ll be flagged in the system for a visual fail and then no shop will even think about passing you for $200.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Any “by the book” smog places aren’t going to risk losing their license because you wanted to save a buck. It’ll be extremely obvious in their visual inspection when there’s a shiney new cat and non factory welds. Now my Mini Cooper cat sits inside a heat shield and you can’t even see it. But all smog shops have to do a visual inspection. Make sure o2s don’t have cheater extensions, cats are oem or carb compliant and “group size” correct, etc.

You’ll have to find a shop willing to skip visual. If you gamble thinking they won’t do it and they do, you’ll be flagged in the system for a visual fail and then no shop will even think about passing you for $200.
Bingo ! What he said ^

4Waters

Reaction score

I have passed at "test only" places with 49 state cats. They look with a mirror and make sure that the cats are there, they are not going to crawl under the car to look at the cats. I think the big thing is that it looks like a professional welder did it, if it looks like Jim Billy Bob welded it then it might throw a red flag.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
From google:

Lieutenant Tim Torsney, of the LAPD’s Devonshire division, said thieves steal the converters because they contain small amounts of precious metals — like platinum, palladium and rhodium — they can then sell to unscrupulous salvage yards. Those metals can sell for $1,000 an ounce, and thieves can make $150 or more per stolen converter.

Other articles say $20-$240 per stolen cat for the unobtanium secret sauce metal inside... toyota prius are a huge target, and any vehicle high enough to slide under with a sawsall.. Honda Element is a favorite.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
The Toyota Tundra and Sequoia are also high on the list. I've been told that Toyota converters have a higher percentage of Platinum than other manufacturers and that's why they are a huge target.

From google:

Lieutenant Tim Torsney, of the LAPD’s Devonshire division, said thieves steal the converters because they contain small amounts of precious metals — like platinum, palladium and rhodium — they can then sell to unscrupulous salvage yards. Those metals can sell for $1,000 an ounce, and thieves can make $150 or more per stolen converter.

Other articles say $20-$240 per stolen cat for the unobtanium secret sauce metal inside... toyota prius are a huge target, and any vehicle high enough to slide under with a sawsall.. Honda Element is a favorite.

4Waters

Reaction score
The Toyota Tundra and Sequoia are also high on the list. I've been told that Toyota converters have a higher percentage of Platinum than other manufacturers and that's why they are a huge target.
That's crazy because my dads neighbor had his Toyota Tundra parked next to his superduty

DaveH

Reaction score
as much as i agree with this.....the cops are too busy bullying 12 year olds breaking up liitle league games due to CV19. if you are law abiding......we are own our own.