WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bayliner makes a $50k wake boat?

2Driver

Reaction score
What’s worked for us over the last 35 years is buying used but mint condition, late model, higher-end popular models

After 15 boats and 10 jet skis I think we are slightly net positive. We’ve done the same with vehicles and motorcycles for the most part.

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
giphy-10.gif

Deckin Around

Reaction score
F you guys, who REALLY cares?
I had more fun around 18 years old on a 20 year old 18' Century boat with a 4cyl motor than any $100k+ boat I've been on in the last 20 years. We called her the blue bathtub and basically sank her on havasu, RIP Blue. Good friends and full coolers make great trips, not the ride you have. I've grown up,(40yrs old) got a house in the keys in Parker, nice boat etc. and we spend most of our time on beaches with our 5/7 kids. I'll be dammed if I forget where we started and you won't ever find me talking shit on anyone working hard and just trying to get on the water. Too many of you in the shallow end are killing this site.

Last edited:

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
F you guys, who REALLY cares?
I had more fun around 18 years old on a 20 year Century boat 18' with a 4cyl motor than any $100k+ boat I've been on in the last 20 years. We called her the blue bathtub and basically sank her on havasu, RIP Blue. Good friends and full coolers make great trips, not the ride you have. I've grown up,(40yrs old) got a house in the keys in Parker, nice boat etc. and we spend most of our time on beaches with our 5/7 kids. I'll be dammed if I forget where we started and you won't ever find me talking shit on anyone working hard and just trying to get on the water. Too many of you in the shallow end are killing this site.
Well said brother. My first was an 18' Bayliner with a 3.0. had a blast with it.

hallett21

Reaction score
Which Barron was affordable? That 19 seemed pretty steep compared to Tahiti.

You guys all talk shit.. and honestly I’d be right there with ya..

but nobody makes a cheap boat anymore? (Other than Todd at Tahiti..)

Jerry Barron tried at Barron boats and I couldnt get on board with it because it didn’t fit my style.. but the price rage came in 30+ over this. Some people loved it though... so I don’t know how that’s going?

Spectra molds are for sale for 5k for the good one (good mold) if anyone wants to try to build a sub 70k boat.. possible in qty... for new comers.
It isn’t as easy as you think.

Mike K

Reaction score
Gotta give Bayliner some credit ... they get a lot of peeps into boating ... my first boat was a new $9999 Arriva ... From the 1990 Pomona boat show .... 150 hp w/ trailer ... always ran perfectly , the upholstery was thin as ice ... it got our family all over Mead, Mojave & Blythe way back in the day.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I started my boating life on a used glastron. I have the most hours and most memories in that boat than any other boat I have been in since. And it was no looker by any means. Would have gladly traded it for the bayliner if someone offered. Would be interesting to see of all the people hating on the boat what was their first boat and see how it stacks up against this bayliner.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What’s worked for us over the last 35 years is buying used but mint condition, late model, higher-end popular models

After 15 boats and 10 jet skis I think we are slightly net positive. We’ve done the same with vehicles and motorcycles for the most part.

x2

oldschool

Reaction score
You can get a Sanger 215 wake boat for 65k, that's the best deal I have seen recently.
Or a nice low hour used one for a lot less. But yes, Sangers are the best deal around for a new water sports boat.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
50k to some people is not a lot of money. I know some people like this, even friends with a few, but my metric is a tad different. That is a shade more than half ao what I paid for my first home. If someone wants to get into wake sports, this is a pretty easy deal. With it being a newly manufactured deal, at dealers and such, a person could finance the purchase. It gives them the chance to own something new. As most people on the water are not building engines, or doing their own service, that is a big deal. People buy new, small econobox cars as well, just to drive to and from. Even if you don't agree with the philosophy, at least it still puts dollars in the boating economy.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I started my boating life on a used glastron. I have the most hours and most memories in that boat than any other boat I have been in since. And it was no looker by any means. Would have gladly traded it for the bayliner if someone offered. Would be interesting to see of all the people hating on the boat what was their first boat and see how it stacks up against this bayliner.

My first family boat that I grew up on was a then-20yr old 24ft party barge with a 115merc on the back. It even had the fixed tip canopy with the tassels hanging from it. We used the crap out of that thing, ended up redecking it after about 6 years.

Almost endoed on Havasu once too. Knocked out the front panels driving into a wave during a storm and the engine came about 10ft out of the water. I have many fond memories on that boat from the time I was about 4-14 when we switched to an "almost new" Wellcraft 200SS. Many great memories on that boat too.

I think for the money if I was trying to buy new and wanted to finance, I'd say fuck this boat and grab one of them sub $20k brand new Avalons from the other post.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
You can get a Sanger 215 wake boat for 65k, that's the best deal I have seen recently.

and the ride, the room, the raptor motor and their new towers, Sanger has to be the best value in that market. Not that I am biased !

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My first family boat that I grew up on was a then-20yr old 24ft party barge with a 115merc on the back. It even had the fixed tip canopy with the tassels hanging from it. We used the crap out of that thing, ended up redecking it after about 6 years.

Almost endoed on Havasu once too. Knocked out the front panels driving into a wave during a storm and the engine came about 10ft out of the water. I have many fond memories on that boat from the time I was about 4-14 when we switched to an "almost new" Wellcraft 200SS. Many great memories on that boat too.

I think for the money if I was trying to buy new and wanted to finance, I'd say fuck this boat and grab one of them sub $20k brand new Avalons from the other post.
I think the main point is being on the water with friends or family. Currently, we're on 2 3 seater SeaDoos from the 90s. Boats are both down, F'it. Still going out. We have never been the hang out in the channel types anyway. Hell, my BIL has a baller deckboat. It's been in the garage most the summer, and he's been mobbin' a 20ft toon that he rents. Cheaper, easy clean up. Does what it needs to do.

And I agree, if I had to finance, the "lower end" Avalon checks the boxes just fine. You don't need to have 350hp to have fun, just the right people with you.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
To all the haters those 70s Tri hulls you started in looked just as ugly lol.

HAHA! I wish I had a picture readily available of our 70's 19' Mark Twain. My dad had all the options...I want to say it was a Ford engine coupled with an OMC outdrive, brown/tan upholstery (popular colors in the midwest at the time), what looked and felt like plush astro turf carpet, stereo and CB. He threw in a Lawrence fish/dept finder and we had an effen awesome time on the water.

King P.V.

Reaction score
Wow, you must be Mr. big swingin dick bad ass mother fucker on your little lake. Has to be so cool to laugh someone else "off the lake"

Did I miss what kind of boat you have?
I have a Barefoot Warrior. 200hp Merc. Low profile, 1989. Its a barefoot boat. Sorry, no pics. No wake. And made by Ski Centurian. Did I say ugly?? You obviously havent sern one of those Bayliner slugs from a distance. They get worse the closer you get. REALLY!! Im may be bashing them but God-All-Mity. !!! I MEANT UGLY!!!!

King P.V.

Reaction score
When it was a Heyday wake tractor it was somehow less Fugly and only $39,999. that said, I hate any boat that throws a wake.
ok
Wow, you must be Mr. big swingin dick bad ass mother fucker on your little lake. Has to be so cool to laugh someone else "off the lake"

Did I miss what kind of boat you have?
I didnt ssy "I laughed them off thr lake". Just that after sering all the "big boys" anchored up to our sand dunes, they high-tail'd it away with thheir tail between their legs. All I said was... its an ugly boat. It may be inexpensive, but its as ugly as anyone could imagine. It floats but it sint anything like it pretends to be.
As for me. I have a 1989 Barefoot Warrior. Merc 200 hp. . Competition barefoot 21'. A "Classic". BTW, we dont like the wave action from those nice $150,000 to $350,000 boats up here either. Their choice of music sucs also!

Mototrig

Reaction score
I saw a few of these ugly POS's on Shaver Lake last week. Couldn't for the life of me figure out what they were. Welp now I know.

Not that I'm a fan of water plows to begin with.... because I'm not. But dam this thing is the Danny DeVito little twin brother of the boating world.