WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bad boat accident at mouth of river

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This will continue to happen until the "Faster faster faster" mentality goes away.... I will not go anywhere near the lake or the Gorge on a weekend.... Too many wannabe racers with more money than driving skills...
Sad story, but you can bet the farm there are others out there today doing the same thing..
Ray

nobody was racing ray..

RD

Reactions: D19

Singleton

Reaction score
It amazes me the difference in attention havasu gets compared to Powell.
46 year old man died tuesday night in the dark. Hit a rock. On a house boat trip. We saw the dive team.
MTI. Eliminator. Havasu. Speeds. All the talk.

Be careful! Head on a swivel, stay out of harms way when you can.

occurs more then most think
summers I worked Powell, we averaged 4-6 deaths due to boats or PwC hitting stuff at night

JD D05

Reaction score
It amazes me the difference in attention havasu gets compared to Powell.
46 year old man died tuesday night in the dark. Hit a rock. On a house boat trip. We saw the dive team.
MTI. Eliminator. Havasu. Speeds. All the talk.

Be careful! Head on a swivel, stay out of harms way when you can.

It made local news. I am sure if you read those comments it would be similar to this. Very unfortunate those guys passed. Sometimes a few mistakes all happen at once and the timing is the fuse.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Speed was a factor for sure, the attitude of these big boats is get the fuck outa the way ! Its a shit show on the river mouth and up river too fast in a small area ! Ive been buzzed so many times by these jackass’s . Who the fuck wants to drive a 40’ boat on the river take it to the ocean‼

absolutely not.. The driver is always the same driver and I have been with him many times and he is always polite and courteous, and very conscious of what is going on around him. Btw this big boat isn’t fast either.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
absolutely not.. The driver is always the same driver and I have been with him many times and he is always polite and courteous, and very conscious of what is going on around him. Btw this big boat isn’t fast either.

Same experience. Guy doesn’t drink either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Does it not all boil down to defensive driving? You never know what might happen in front of you. Goes for boats and cars, motorcycles too.

yep and don’t drive next to someone or in what would normally be referred to as the “blind spot” area in driving a car.. even if you are far away shit can still happen when people swerve and don’t look (referring mostly to jet skis)

tkrrox

Reaction score
I stopped reading around the point where it was said the little boat turned in front of the mti. Boat pi put up the rule of how it is the responsibility of the boat taking over the slower. I understand this rule, but honestly it needs to be amended. This rule is outdated. I would never expect a person to bust a U in that area...I think it should be like a motocross track, you must hold your line and if you are to exit the track(bust a U or take a hard turn) it should be your responsibility to look over your shoulder to make sure the coast is clear. When ever I drop a skier or make an erratic/quick turn to pull into a beach or cove, I always look behind to make sure no one is there. Boats don’t have breaks.

I feel for all families involved and it’s very tragic, but you can only be so defensive and it won’t protect you from accidents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think it's the consensus that this new member is just a troll, and should be removed immediately. In my opinion it's a repeat offender, who just can't stop coming back to create more drama.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Not who he says he is for sure.. IP's from Idaho... Misspelled Dimarco (he spelled Demarco). I apologize for not removing him earlier. I'll be deleting his posts shortly, and the responses.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The person known as "Demarco Flat" had an Idaho IP address, obviously very little knowledge of boats, and crazy "ideals" by anyones measure.

During the initial idea of closing the a small portion of the refuge from the USFWS (with eyes on closing a larger portion immediately after as a suggestion) there were several people that "registered" on rdp and made comments about how unsafe it was etc.. Those very same comments were brought up in some of the meetings both internal and publicly with reference to rdp.

There were everything from green peace people to other conservation groups at those meetings taking notes, and even making comments to boaters (several to myself) saying how the would get it done no matter what we do.

I'm pretty convinced this last account was another shill to add fuel to that fire for conversation. Most of what he said didn't make a lick of sense in anybodies measure.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
The person known as "Demarco Flat" had an Idaho IP address, obviously very little knowledge of boats, and crazy "ideals" by anyones measure.

During the initial idea of closing the a small portion of the refuge from the USFWS (with eyes on closing a larger portion immediately after as a suggestion) there were several people that "registered" on rdp and made comments about how unsafe it was etc.. Those very same comments were brought up in some of the meetings both internal and publicly with reference to rdp.

There were everything from green peace people to other conservation groups at those meetings taking notes, and even making comments to boaters (several to myself) saying how the would get it done no matter what we do.

I'm pretty convinced this last account was another shill to add fuel to that fire for conversation. Most of what he said didn't make a lick of sense in anybodies measure.

People that dismiss these ideas need to rethink things. When these radical groups gain membership and more donations and have the Time to Contact everyone in office. Things that many think could Never happen get out of control and there is No turning back.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am putting this in it's own post just to add veracity and spotlight too it.

Make no mistake there has been MORE BOAT TRAFFIC THIS SUMMER than any summer before.. Every single weekend has been like a holiday weekend out there, and the town is busting at the seems from people visiting from other areas.. California mostly (obviously)

With as much boat traffic as I have seen.. With launch ramps being shut down by 11:00 am on every weekend (which remember they didn't do that parking lot spacing thing for the first several months.. they were actually handing out flyers saying "we're open").

This has been a very SAFE SUMMER all things considered. We have had our incidents no doubt, but this was the first major boat accident of the summer, and so far it isn't nearly as bad as years past (14, 15, 16, 17 especially)

VIRTUALLY NOBODY THAT HAS POSTED ON THIS WEBSITE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED..

PLEASE STOP SUGGESTING SOLUTIONS TO AN EQUATION, THAT YOU DON'T KNOW THE VARIABLES TOO.

I talked to some people that recovered the small boat, and even talked to a supposed eye witness.. I put all of that with a grain of salt. Let the investigators do their job and they will determine what's what.

The only thing I can attest too (which is more than most) is I know the guys in the MTI personally. The person driving is always the same guy that drives. He does not drink, NOT ONE DROP. I feel comfortable enough with him that I have ridden with him multiple times, I trust him with my wife, and my friends (whom have also been in boats with him). When it happened, it must have happened fast, and he must not have had a lot of options.. I'll leave it at that.

My heart goes out to those that passed and their families.. My heart goes out to my friends that had to experience this.. My heart goes out to the driver who who has to wonder if he did the right thing.. and the driver that is fighting for his life right now, which if he does survive will have to deal with those same questions and more.

RD

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score

We saw that one from a mile away...

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

stingray11

Reaction score
Big boat ran over little boat we know that for sure.[/

You sure about that because after seeing pictures of the red boat looks like they ran into something, just saying

Last edited:

707dog

Reaction score
very sad for all parties rip to the ones that passed😢, hopefully the real story makes its way to RDP so we all can take away from it and learn or change something we thought we were doing right. as i'm getting ready to embark on a 5 day water trip with my family my defense system will be on full tilt as if it isn't already. be safe ya'll

mbrown2

Reaction score
I stopped reading around the point where it was said the little boat turned in front of the mti. Boat pi put up the rule of how it is the responsibility of the boat taking over the slower. I understand this rule, but honestly it needs to be amended. This rule is outdated. I would never expect a person to bust a U in that area...I think it should be like a motocross track, you must hold your line and if you are to exit the track(bust a U or take a hard turn) it should be your responsibility to look over your shoulder to make sure the coast is clear. When ever I drop a skier or make an erratic/quick turn to pull into a beach or cove, I always look behind to make sure no one is there. Boats don’t have breaks.

I feel for all families involved and it’s very tragic, but you can only be so defensive and it won’t protect you from accidents.

I disagree...it should be the furthest thing from a Motocross track. It seems everyone on Havasu has such an issue with the tight spacing and traffic going into/out of the gorge. This is every weekend boating protocol on the Parker strip and such if you want to go fast behind, or in someone's port/starboard blind spot and they make a u-turn you better be far enough away going a reasonable speed to take evasive action. Anytime I take a ride from dam to dam on Parker I am confronted with boats, tubers, jet skis in close quarters and turning in front of me. It is my responsibility as the captain to keep safe distance and speed from them. I don't know what happened in this accident and wish all of those involved the best to get through it and my comments are only in response to your analogy and not an assertion of what may have happened.

tkrrox

Reaction score
I disagree...it should be the furthest thing from a Motocross track. It seems everyone on Havasu has such an issue with the tight spacing and traffic going into/out of the gorge. This is every weekend boating protocol on the Parker strip and such if you want to go fast behind, or in someone's port/starboard blind spot and they make a u-turn you better be far enough away going a reasonable speed to take evasive action. Anytime I take a ride from dam to dam on Parker I am confronted with boats, tubers, jet skis in close quarters and turning in front of me. It is my responsibility as the captain to keep safe distance and speed from them. I don't know what happened in this accident and wish all of those involved the best to get through it and my comments are only in response to your analogy and not an assertion of what may have happened.

I won’t let my kids tube or ski on a weekend there. Too dangerous.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Truth.
I drive my boat with the thought that every vessel around me will do something irrational.
Frankly, it's no different than how I drive on the road.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Dave, I did not say anyone was racing. I did say that the lake and river are full of "wannabe racers" that have bought more power and speed than their driving skills can handle... NOT THESE GUYS, just a large majority of go fast boats that should really be somewhere on the ocean to play around with speed safely... I too have been "buzzed" in the gorge by large boats going well over 60+ and IMO, way to close to me... I am NOT in favor of more rules/laws or regulations, but some common sense and courtesy would/could go a long way towards safer water for everyone...
Ray

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Sorry don't know how to provide a link, but one of the victims has a memorial Go Fund me account. He is 40 year old Shawn Fasulkey, he apparently was a studio worker and married almost 4 years. May he Rest in peace.:(

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
God of love and mercy, embrace all those
whose hearts today overflow with grief,
unanswered questions and such a sense of loss.
Grant them space to express their tears.
Hold them close through the coming days.
Shower Your comfort on me through those around me,
and keep far from me those whose words and actions are no comfort
May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
Amen

guest hs

Reaction score
Just curious if the the mini day cruiser was a jet and it had some sort of mechanical failure and they were on the left side of the MTI. If that were the case if the engine locked up a jet will normally hook left maybe something like that would explain how it happened.

BingerFang

Reaction score
02F4ECB0-DA2B-4026-9987-7D6791704E98.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Just curious if the the mini day cruiser was a jet and it had some sort of mechanical failure and they were on the left side of the MTI. If that were the case if the engine locked up a jet will normally hook left maybe something like that would explain how it happened.

It was an I/O and my buddy laid hands on the drive and tried to move it by hand and steering was in tact.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
There are numerous e-learning and in person classes available for Boating Safety Education. In a lot of cases they're free or low cost. Completing them can get you a discount of up to 25% on your boat insurance. While the majority of them don't have hands-on instruction (*more on this below), the knowledge of basic Navigation Rules go a long way in preventing collisions.

*The reason that very few Boating Education Courses offer hands-on, behind the wheel training, is that there are so many different configurations of boats to make it feasible. Inboard, direct drive, outboard, jet, mono-hull, dual hull (cats), tri-hull, performance, PWC, canoes, rowboats, airboats, etc. And for every one of those boats, there are dozens of different configurations, right hand drive, left hand drive, center console, reverse rotation props, single, dual, triple, quad, engines. Every one of those vessel types have a different skillset to operate. So just getting people into a seat to give them the knowledge of how to operate any boat SAFELY, rather than how to physically operate a particular boat, puts us way ahead of the curve.

Does it not all boil down to defensive driving? You never know what might happen in front of you. Goes for boats and cars, motorcycles too.
Absolutely. As a non river dude it just sounds to me like you guys have several key factors in play out that way such as extreme heat, an increased number of very fast boats and most importantly a limited amount of wide water open spaces relative to sheer number of vessels. Tough mix for sure.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Gotcha that rules out my theory

theory, look over your shoulder before your turn and it’s a setting sun screwing up your view, then add in a silver boat. I don’t know about you but we had a silver car once and people were always missing it and pulling out in front of us.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Did anybody check the 4 outboards for steering issues our blinds spots dew to people standing on both sides of the cc

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Did anybody check the 4 outboards for steering issues our blinds spots dew to people standing on both sides of the cc

nothing like that..

to echo others it will come out at some point what happened and when it does I will make sure it’s posted on here.. let’s give the speculation and theories a rest for awhile

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Can we just let speculation die once and for all?
I'm sure fog had no influence due to the dew point being well below 75°😒

Add smoke from fires in California in on top of the fog and low dew point and things get sketchy quick.

cofooter

Reaction score
UPDATE (8/03/2020) FATAL BOATING ACCIDENT- COLORADO RIVER
The Mohave County Sheriff’s Office is continuing the investigation into a fatal boating collision that occurred on July 31 at the mouth of the Colorado River. During their on scene investigation, two male subjects were located by Lake Havasu City Divers and were declared deceased. Those men were identified as Jim Lee Dolson, 51 of Northridge, CA, and Shawn Corey Fasulkey, 40 of Canyon Country, CA. A third male subject, identified 51 from Arletta, CA, was located with severe injuries and transported to Havasu Regional Medical Center and later flown to University Medical Center in Las Vegas and is in critical condition.
The investigation determined that a 42 foot MTI carrying 10 passengers and a 21 foot Eliminator carrying the three males were both travelling southbound on the Colorado River. For unknown reasons, the Eliminator turned into the port side of the MTI. The MTI took evasive action to avoid, however both boats collided. It is unknown at this time which of the three male subjects was the operator of the Eliminator at the time of the collision. The operator of the MTI submitted a blood sample and no signs of impairment were observed. Toxicology results of the three male subjects on board the Eliminator are pending. This investigation is ongoing.
ORIGINAL (8/01/2020): FATAL BOATING ACCIDENT-COLORADO RIVER
On 7-31-2020 at approximately 7:00 PM, The Mohave County Sheriff’s Office Division of Boating Safety along with Lake Havasu Police Department, Lake Havasu Fire Department, and San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to the Mouth of the Colorado River for a boat collision. The reporting party stated that there were two boats that had collided and there were multiple victims still in the water with injuries. Upon Deputies arrival by boat, a large debris field was located along with multiple other boats in the area. It was learned that there were two adult male subjects that were unaccounted for in the water. The male subjects were quickly located and divers from Lake Havasu City Police Department pulled the male subjects from the water with severe injuries. The male subjects along with another injured male subject were transported to the Lake Havasu City Fire Department boat where medical personnel began treating the subjects. The two male subjects were pronounced deceased on scene. The third male subject was transported to Havasu Regional Medical Center in critical condition. At this time, it is unknown if alcohol or drugs were a factor in this incident. This incident is still under investigation.

HitIt

Reaction score
For unknown reasons, the Eliminator turned into the port side of the MTI. The MTI took evasive action to avoid, however both boats collided...The operator of the MTI submitted a blood sample and no signs of impairment were observed. Toxicology results of the three male subjects on board the Eliminator are pending.

For those that do have a beer or two when boating, this should be noted. You never know when someone else (sober, drunk, distracted, whatever) is going to do something unexpected or unknown. If the driver of the MTI had been a one or two beers kinda guy, even if he was completely ok to drive, this story would probably have a different ending.

Be smart and safe out there.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Seen a guy pulling 2 kids in a tube up river saturday afternoon wrong direction in front of echo, then did a full u turn going down river on wrong side but threw riders, riders almost got ran over by a few boats. No problem riders jumped back on and proceeded down river in front of sundance to take the turn the blind turn going wrong direction. I also seen a guy standing on front bow of boat going about 70 mph but i think he is probably a RDP member and maybe trained. Heard there was a guy dead hanging onto a sea doo when we came into town wed, not sure about that. Lots of ways to get hurt, thoughts go out to all involved in accident.

cofooter

Reaction score
Seen a guy pulling 2 kids in a tube up river saturday afternoon wrong direction in front of echo, then did a full u turn going down river on wrong side but threw riders, riders almost got ran over by a few boats. No problem riders jumped back on and proceeded down river in front of sundance to take the turn the blind turn going wrong direction. I also seen a guy standing on front bow of boat going about 70 mph but i think he is probably a RDP member and maybe trained. Heard there was a guy dead hanging onto a sea doo when we came into town wed, not sure about that. Lots of ways to get hurt, thoughts go out to all involved in accident.
I'm surprised more people don't get run over after falling when tubing or doing watersports on a busy day. Last time there, I was following at a pretty good distance a boat with tubers. The driver lost the kids on the tube and went quite a ways before he turned around and got back to them. The adults were panicking, yelling and waving the red flag to make sure I saw them. I gave them the "I see them" wave and they were relieved. Don't know why they put themselves in that stressful situation on a busy day......... really bad judgement.

rrrr

Reaction score
]
I'm surprised more people don't get run over after falling when tubing or doing watersports on a busy day. Last time there, I was following at a pretty good distance a boat with tubers. The driver lost the kids on the tube and went quite a ways before he turned around and got back to them. The adults were panicking, yelling and waving the red flag to make sure I saw them. I gave them the "I see them" wave and they were relieved. Don't know why they put themselves in that stressful situation on a busy day......... really bad judgement.

I was out cruising and passed the busiest section of the lake, a large cove with a narrow opening that contains a big marina. There is always heavy traffic accelerating and decelerating in two lanes, with bows high.

Right in the middle of all this was a small open bow boat, towing a large inflatable with four kids on it. I drove towards the shore and stopped to watch. The driver was going fast and whipping the towable, and the kids were being thrown off right after the boat got on plane. He would slowly circle around to the kids to pick them up. He didn't have a flag.

Meanwhile, boats were coming and going from the cove, and one almost ran over two kids. When the boat stopped to retrieve them, I idled over and hailed the driver.

In a totally non-confrontational manner, I said something like 'Maybe you're unfamiliar with the lake, this is an extremely busy lane in and out of the cove. If you go around that point, there's a sheltered area with no traffic, it would be safer for the kids'.

Instantly the guy blew up. 'Don't fucking tell me what to do, I know how to drive a boat and ...' He went on for at least a minute. I just started my boat and drove away.

There are many more idiots just like him on the water every day. Not much you can do as an individual.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
For those that do have a beer or two when boating, this should be noted. You never know when someone else (sober, drunk, distracted, whatever) is going to do something unexpected or unknown. If the driver of the MTI had been a one or two beers kinda guy, even if he was completely ok to drive, this story would probably have a different ending.

Be smart and safe out there.

I don't boat on Havasu and have only been to Parker during the week because I don't have the freeboard for it...but every since my "glorious exit from the boat" in 2010 on the lower river....I've changed up my game a bit. If I see another boat while running hard...and no eye contact and clear intentions are apparent to both operators...I simply stop and wait and them to go by. There have been plenty of times where I've need to do that because hand signals and obvious changes of direction of travel go completely ignored by the other operator. There's plenty of time in the day and plenty of river for everyone to have a good time.

mobldj

Reaction score
every fkn weekend everyone on parker goes up to dam and floats down the river ( no problem with that) then comes the 300,000 boats hauling ass and the dumb ass flat bottoms navigating the huge swells from the pompous wake boats dodging the floaters like a slolam course.add to that the dumb fks with no real boating experiance towing their rug rats everywhere and anywhere.then throw in the lake lice ( which i also own 2) and its a real shit show on the parker strip.

must be why i boat during the weak...........amazing more dont die.rant over.lol

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Can we just let speculation die once and for all?
I'm sure fog had no influence due to the dew point being well below 75°😒
Hey Ziggy... educate me cause I don't boat out your way .... do you AZ guys ever see fog on your waters .... anytime of year? Its a BIG deal here at the shore. Just curious.... I'm not jumping into the recent accident on your river, not my business.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Hey Ziggy... educate me cause I don't boat out your way .... do you AZ guys ever see fog on your waters .... anytime of year? Its a BIG deal here at the shore. Just curious.... I'm not jumping into the recent accident on your river, not my business.
I've not seen it, humidity and temp don't seem to align for fog. Not that it couldn't be possible, just saying the conditions needed would be an extremely rare occurrence and likely short lived.
I also live near the beach so I'm well versed in pea soup zero viz. I have not boated the ocean however, I have too much respect for it.......and I'm not a fisherman 😊

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I've not seen it, humidity and temp don't seem to align for fog. Not that it couldn't be possible, just saying the conditions needed would be an extremely rare occurrence and likely short lived.
I also live near the beach so I'm well versed in pea soup zero viz. I have not boated the ocean however, I have too much respect for it.......and I'm not a fisherman 😊
Thanks, I wouldn't have thought so. Boy imagine fog thrown into all that horsepower on a narrow waterway, ouch. And I understand the issues some have going out into the pacific... its awfully humbling out there.

havasu5150

Reaction score
]

I was out cruising and passed the busiest section of the lake, a large cove with a narrow opening that contains a big marina. There is always heavy traffic accelerating and decelerating in two lanes with bows high.

Right in the middle of all this was a small open bow boat, towing a large inflatable with four kids on it. I drove towards the shore and stopped to watch. The driver was going fast and whipping the towable, and the kids were being thrown off right after the boat got on plane. He would slowly circle around to the kids to pick them up. He didn't have a flag.

Meanwhile, boats were coming and going from the cove, and one almost ran over two kids. When the boat stopped to retrieve them, I idled over and hailed the driver.

In a totally non-confrontational manner, I said something like 'Maybe you're unfamiliar with the lake, this is an extremely busy lane in and out of the cove. If you go around that point, there's a sheltered area with no traffic, it would be safer for the kids'.

Instantly the guy blew up. 'Don't fucking tell me what to do, I know how to drive a boat and ...' He went on for at least a minute. I just started my boat and drove away.

There are many more idiots just liked him on the water every day. Not much you can do as an individual.

:rolleyes:
I see stuff like this all the time outside of Steamboat. its like pulling your kids on a skateboard on the freeway

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
every fkn weekend everyone on parker goes up to dam and floats down the river ( no problem with that) then comes the 300,000 boats hauling ass and the dumb ass flat bottoms navigating the huge swells from the pompous wake boats dodging the floaters like a slolam course.add to that the dumb fks with no real boating experiance towing their rug rats everywhere and anywhere.then throw in the lake lice ( which i also own 2) and its a real shit show on the parker strip.

must be why i boat during the weak...........amazing more dont die.rant over.lol

jesus man... you gotta smoke a bowl or something.. lol