WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Odd or Dumb Stuff You Collect.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I have been collecting tiki since about 94. I love it! Makes me feel good as I think about rum drinks, swaying palm trees and blue water. I have boxes and boxes but this is just a few photos of stuff I have unpacked since we moved into our new home. I have stuff from as far back as the late 40s. The neat thing about most of my tiki is we pick it up as we visit cool tiki bars from all over the US and more. I have stuff from the famous Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale to new school amazing tiki bars like Three Dots and a Dash in Chicago.

I also have a huge electronica vinyl album collection (1000 plus records) and I used to have a about 600 Hot Wheels and Matchbox from the early 80s to current all in packages. But I sold the cars as I just have too much shit and like to live pretty sleek and modern in our home.

If I had the room I would have pinball machines, gas pumps, and old auto related signs. If we can ever afford to build a custom home with a six car shop I would do it and have a sweet man cave.

EDIT: I have talked about not really picking any more tiki stuff up. It takes a lot of room and most just sits in boxes so my collection will slow. :(

What do you guys and gals collect?

20200807_133400.jpg

20200807_133449.jpg

20200807_133506.jpg

Last edited:

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
used to collect keys. What I found out is it doesn’t take much to open a Master Padlock. Had a shitload of those and could usually find one of my keys to open one. And no. I wasn’t breaking into peoples sheds and stuff. 😁

cofooter

Reaction score
Beer can tabs. Been tearing them off my beer cans since I was old enough to drink. I had a group of buddies, I'd tear mine off, they put theirs either left or right, so we could tell whose beer was whose when we left them somewhere.. Habit still with me today. Every time I open a can of anything, I save the tab. Now when my friends come over, they drop theirs in the cup. Dumb, I know.......... I've got gallon bags full. of them. Used to take them down to Roadrunner and donate them for the pet shelter and they'd give me a tab. Someday, I'll donate to a good cause..........lol

20200807_134710.jpg

ltbaney1

Reaction score
like most here I imagine, i collect tools. Something some would consider odd / cool, is early Mopar / Hemi dragster parts. I have 2 426 aluminum JP1 blocks and heads, couple sets of 392 rotating assemblies and valve trains. about 10 Enderle fuel pumps and a mix of Hilborn injectors, and a bunch of other random parts. there is also AA/FD and a A/FD sitting in our shop. a couple pics of the most recent one we did.
60521228642__CE310483-7B29-423E-B417-186D3157CB9E.JPG
IMG_2291.JPG
IMG_0494.jpg

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Beer can tabs. Been tearing them off my beer cans since I was old enough to drink. I had a group of buddies, I'd tear mine off, they put theirs either left or right, so we could tell whose beer was whose when we left them somewhere.. Habit still with me today. Every time I open a can of anything, I save the tab. Now when my friends come over, they drop theirs in the cup. Dumb, I know.......... I've got gallon bags full. of them. Used to take them down to Roadrunner and donate them for the pet shelter and they'd give me a tab. Someday, I'll donate to a good cause..........lol

View attachment 907883

Definitely odd, and that is what I wanted to see! Thanks for sharing.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
If its old and I have it, its probable a collection. I have old posters from my dad, banners from car shows/ races, beer decorations from when I worked at a bar, some tiki stuff, pint glasses from restaurants, personalized plates lol just about anything, especially if its car related, cas cans, oil cans, street signs and lights.

Maybe the oddest thing though is Looney Toons. I have a bunch of clothing, a printed piece of art, and these really bitchin pint glassed that were available from 7-11 in the 70's for a buck when you bought a soda. I think I have 70 some odd galsses

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
30 years ago I started my collection. Shortly after my first selection I realized continuing with my plans was not in my best interest.....so I did not add another wife to my collection. LOL :aniteef:

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Picture 1 of 1

Google pic for reference.

Im pretty sure I have all of them that were released, and most have duplicates. I inherited them from my parents. I had stored them for probably 15 years as some of my dad's stuff that he didn't take when he moved out of his apartment. My mom always asked about them cause dad took them when they split. I eventually inherited a curio cabinet from my wife's grandpa and had a place to display them. When I open the boxes, the glasses were wrapped in newspaper from '86 I think. They are now on display at our river house, Ill shoot a pic when Im there tomorrow.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
Beanine Babies. Years ago the wife and I sold various items at street and county fairs. We stumbled into the Beanie Babies craze by accident and started making some real cash selling them. I think this lasted for a couple years and during that time we ended up with a very large collection of these damn things which are essentially worthless now. When we have some little ones stop in for a visit I break out a tote and let them take a few home.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Old tools for old stuff. I have adjustable reamers, and specialty beam wrenches for early Ford's, weird stuff for old carbs, etc...
Some useful, some just cool to have.

@beaverretriever , just showed my wife the Tiki collection. She loves the stuff, her mom and brother had a lot of it too. Our first river pad was set up with tiki stuff and reprints of travel posters to the Pacific...

Wife liked the teak piece in the last pic too!

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Old tools for old stuff. I have adjustable reamers, and specialty beam wrenches for early Ford's, weird stuff for old carbs, etc...
Some useful, some just cool to have.

@beaverretriever , just showed my wife the Tiki collection. She loves the stuff, her mom and brother had a lot of it too. Our first river pad was set up with tiki stuff and reprints of travel posters to the Pacific...

Wife liked the teak piece in the last pic too!

We call our style mid century modern high desert tropical contemporary. haha. That sideboard is a real mid century piece built around 59. It actually stows a turntable in the top too.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We call our style mid century modern high desert tropical contemporary. haha. That sideboard is a real mid century piece built around 59. It actually stows a turntable in the top too.
The chairs we use everyday are "Dutch Modern" teak. A coworker of my wife was moving, and her father had a beautiful teak buffet. We commented on it, never seen one before, not like this. Well, he was downsizing, and gave it to us. He had it hand made in the Philippines when he was stationed there in 1955! He was a Chaplain for the Army, had a giant wold map, with different color pins for where each of his kids or grandkids had either been stationed, or did missionary work...very cool.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
The chairs we use everyday are "Dutch Modern" teak. A coworker of my wife was moving, and her father had a beautiful teak buffet. We commented on it, never seen one before, not like this. Well, he was downsizing, and gave it to us. He had it hand made in the Philippines when he was stationed there in 1955! He was a Chaplain for the Army, had a giant wold map, with different color pins for where each of his kids or grandkids had either been stationed, or did missionary work...very cool.

Super cool. My grandmother said her husband (my grandfather) loved mid century stuff. But when it went out of style in the mid to later 60s it all went to the dump. Crazy as real stuff is worth a ton!

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Oh and on my second round of collecting I did start collecting glasses from bars. I ”acquired” the first few then started buying them From the establishments. Kind of small in size but have memories of places that the family and I have been to.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I have been collecting tiki since about 94. I love it! Makes me feel good as I think about rum drinks, swaying palm trees and blue water. I have boxes and boxes but this is just a few photos of stuff I have unpacked since we moved into our new home. I have stuff from as far back as the late 40s. The neat thing about most of my tiki is we pick it up as we visit cool tiki bars from all over the US and more. I have stuff from the famous Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale to new school amazing tiki bars like Three Dots and a Dash in Chicago.

I also have a huge electronica vinyl album collection (1000 plus records) and I used to have a about 600 Hot Wheels and Matchbox from the early 80s to current all in packages. But I sold the cars as I just have too much shit and like to live pretty sleek and modern in our home.

If I had the room I would have pinball machines, gas pumps, and old auto related signs. If we can ever afford to build a custom home with a six car shop I would do it and have a sweet man cave.

EDIT: I have talked about not really picking any more tiki stuff up. It takes a lot of room and most just sits in boxes so my collection will slow. :(

View attachment 907878

View attachment 907879

View attachment 907881
A3EF1298-D4C3-4211-AFC0-09C017BF97B9.jpeg

Tiki’s are cool

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score

View attachment 907878

View attachment 907879

View attachment 907881
I can’t show those to my wife. She always looks for tiki cups/glasses

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Picture 1 of 1

Google pic for reference.

Im pretty sure I have all of them that were released, and most have duplicates. I inherited them from my parents. I had stored them for probably 15 years as some of my dad's stuff that he didn't take when he moved out of his apartment. My mom always asked about them cause dad took them when they split. I eventually inherited a curio cabinet from my wife's grandpa and had a place to display them. When I open the boxes, the glasses were wrapped in newspaper from '86 I think. They are now on display at our river house, Ill shoot a pic when Im there tomorrow.

I shit you not, we used to keep a set of these at the river house in Moonridge, ill bet some of them are still there even. Speedy Gonzalez was always my favorite.

I collect wine. I don't drink it, I hate the taste. Every time I'm at the store, I pick up a new bottle. Most of them are in the $30-$50 range with a few expensive outliers. I'm now up to several thousand dollars worth of wine that I don't drink and am on the verge of collapsing a shelf in my fridge! I'd tell you all why, but you'd probably think I was fucked in the head. It's probably true but I'd rather not give you the proof🤪

This is about a quarter of my collection.
15968484989424595011831866138883.jpg
15968485406567900054674016061488.jpg

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I shit you not, we used to keep a set of these at the river house in Moonridge, ill bet some of them are still there even. Speedy Gonzalez was always my favorite.

I collect wine. I don't drink it, I hate the taste. Every time I'm at the store, I pick up a new bottle. Most of them are in the $30-$50 range with a few expensive outliers. I'm now up to several thousand dollars worth of wine that I don't drink and am on the verge of collapsing a shelf in my fridge! I'd tell you all why, but you'd probably think I was fucked in the head. It's probably true but I'd rather not give you the proof🤪

This is about a quarter of my collection.
View attachment 907948 View attachment 907949

You are storing it incorrectly....look into a real wine fridge setup...they should be stored on their sides, not upright, or the corks dry out and it ruins the wine/champagne.

I collect odd skate boarding stuff, weird stickers/mini boards, swap meet stuff.....

I have some prized trophies, I'll post up some pics later.

Last edited:

socal0487

Reaction score

View attachment 907883
Been doing the same my entire life. Except we donate ours to the Ronald McDonald house.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
You are storing it incorrectly....look into a real wine fridge setup...they should be stored on their sides, not upright, or the corks dry out and it ruins the wine/champagne.

I collect odd skate boarding stuff, weird stickers/mini boards, swap meet stuff.....

I have some prized trophies, I'll post up some pics later.

Thx for the tip! Most of them are stored on their side but honestly it never occurred to me one way or the other

Sparky73

Reaction score
I read this post to my wife, and she said “yep, that’s about our style as well.”
Nice collection

Attachments

• B559BDD9-3F72-4D2F-8CCE-E650C6C22C57.jpeg
    B559BDD9-3F72-4D2F-8CCE-E650C6C22C57.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 173

DLC

Reaction score
I have a few odd ball collections,

i have a bunch of $2 dollar bills, when ever I come Accross one I get it
guns & ammo, knifes
1oz gold coins, I usually buy a few a year
tools I love me some tools

oh almost forgot empty coors light cans, I buy them full and empty them, Sometimes I get some help with the empty process, I have 2 trash cans full right now!

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Bicentennial quarters. I've collected about two rolls worth one at a time in loose change. It is a manageable habit.
My collection of 20 1968-71 Mopars is now down to one. It wasn't manageable any longer.
The wife says my vintage motorcycles is now on a sell 1 to buy 1 basis. 13 does seem to be enough, right?

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Screenshot_20200807-195015_Google.jpg

Bicentennial Quarters. No clue why but they remind me of my grandmother and if I get one as change I can't spend it. I just drop it in a jar next to where I drop my keys every night. I use to get them all the time but not very often anymore.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I have a few odd ball collections,

i have a bunch of $2 dollar bills, when ever I come Accross one I get it
guns & ammo, knifes
1oz gold coins, I usually buy a few a year
tools I love me some tools

oh almost forgot empty coors light cans, I buy them full and empty them, Sometimes I get some help with the empty process, I have 2 trash cans full right now!
Thank good I don’t collect gray goose bottles 😫😳

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Sand from most every island and/or beach we've been to in the past 15-20 years..... got a late start😊
Put them is small glass jars and label 'em.

I dont know bruddah....I hope dat you neva wen pick up any hea in da islands.

2C40B4D3-CAF2-46CD-A694-D3DFD8AACB79.jpeg

LOL You can still mail it back......

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Beanine Babies. Years ago the wife and I sold various items at street and county fairs. We stumbled into the Beanie Babies craze by accident and started making some real cash selling them. I think this lasted for a couple years and during that time we ended up with a very large collection of these damn things which are essentially worthless now. When we have some little ones stop in for a visit I break out a tote and let them take a few home.
Peep around Ebay....you'd be surprised what those things are worth. Make a trip to Frank and Sons....collectibles are stupid money sometimes.