WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Will SCE Turn Your Power Off For An Hour This Week?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
To Our Customers:
We need your help. Very hot weather is expected to continue for most of Southern California through Wednesday, causing stress on the power grid. Since this heatwave began, the California Independent System Operator (CAISO) has issued two statewide Stage 3 emergencies and directed SCE to reduce its electrical power load, including through rotating outages of customers.
Please help us conserve power during this heatwave, particularly from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m., by turning your air conditioner up to at least 78°F, and turning off unnecessary appliances. Also, see below for a list of energy conservation tips and for a list of what SCE is doing to help.

If rotating outages are needed, you can see if your account will be impacted by checking our website for updates. You can find your rotating outage block on your bill. Rotating outages typically last one hour or shorter, and are critical to preventing longer more widespread outages during system emergencies.

Together, our conservation reduces stress on the statewide power grid and helps minimize the need for CAISO rotating power outages.

Just a heads up. My pad got turned off on the 14th for an hour.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I have three generators in the garage. If you live in an area of California that is subjected to outages, I would invest in at least one that will run the essentials.

I say this to myself every time there is an outage. Need to finally act.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
My MIL is on some program where they just turn off your AC.

They turned her AC off on Saturday for like 4 hours, she lives in Fontana and it was 97 in her house when it came back on. She is removing herself from that program, and had to run the AC all night to cool the house back off.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score

They turned her AC off on Saturday for like 4 hours, she lives in Fontana and it was 97 in her house when it came back on. She is removing herself from that program, and had to run the AC all night to cool the house back off.

And all the people that signed up for a discount on their rate if Edison can turn off their A/C when demand is crazy. They were going crazy this past weekend lol

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have the SCE discount box. My ac has been getting turned off at around 1-3pm and off until 8-9pm.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
This is infuriating. There are no surprises here, they know summer is hot, and how many consumers there are. Do the math and build the infrastructure FFS.

Especially with all these bitch ass beaurocrats subscribing to the global warming bullshit.

This makes as much sense as FedEx and UPS, saying we have increased demand, your shit may be lost or delayed around Christmas time. No shit? Really? Christmas comes every year....

CLdrinker

Reaction score
This is infuriating. There are no surprises here, they know summer is hot, and how many consumers there are. Do the math and build the infrastructure FFS.

Especially with all these bitch ass beaurocrats subscribing to the global warming bullshit.

This makes as much sense as FedEx and UPS, saying we have increased demand, your shit may be lost or delayed around Christmas time. No shit? Really? Christmas comes every year....
Sounds like you have it figured out. You should apply.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Am I the only one scratching my head about all of these rolling black outs?

There are still tons of businesses including large shopping malls, and restaurants that have closed their doors due to the PLANDEMIC that use little to no electricity. Or have drastically scaled back electricity usage.

Tons of residential and commercial buildings have gone the solar route and no longer rely on SCE for energy needs and are feeding energy back into the system.

Drastic increase in Solar fields across Californian along with large number of wind farms and yet their is still a huge energy stain on the system? How is it that CA is the only one that experiences these outages and has all of these strains on the system, yet warmer/humid areas across the US (places like NC, SC, FL, NY,AZ) where people turn their AC on and dont turn it off for weeks on end never hear much about the same issues?

PlanB

Reaction score
I say this to myself every time there is an outage. Need to finally act.

I have two Honda 2000's and a Honda 2000 Companion that links to one of the regular 2000's. 4000 watts to run my house, and the other 2000 can run the essentials in my mom's house if we both get shut down at the same time. They sip gas and are very quiet.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I have two Honda 2000's and a Honda 2000 Companion that links to one of the regular 2000's. 4000 watts to run my house, and the other 2000 can run the essentials in my mom's house if we both get shut down at the same time. They sip gas and are very quiet.
I was going to go the Harbor Freight route as I would probably rarely use it. I know, Honda's are the best way to go...

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

I have the SCE discount box. My ac has been getting turned off at around 1-3pm and off until 8-9pm.

Its really simple to disable those boxes so that the utility REALLY doesn't know unless they look at your energy consumption while it is supposed to be "off". Its just a remote controlled relay that is in series to the compressor contactor that will open not allowing the compressor or condenser fan to run The ones I've seen for PG&E at least did not have any sort of amp probe or anything to be able to tell if it truly was or wasn't running.

PlanB

Reaction score
I was going to go the Harbor Freight route as I would probably rarely use it. I know, Honda's are the best way to go...

Whatever works. It's just nice knowing you have a backup if you get shutdown. The last straw for us was during the fires a few years ago. We were down for days and were packing food in coolers.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Whatever works. It's just nice knowing you have a backup if you get shutdown. The last straw for us was during the fires a few years ago. We were down for days and were packing food in coolers.

Yes, now that I have several hundreds of dollars of meat in a new Covid Freezer this is my fear.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
That what I did when I lived in Paso Robles. I just got the standard generator that was 2800 running watts I believe. I had a swamp cooler at that time on the house and made up extension cords for the swamper and 2 refrigerators and showed my wife how to get them all up and running in case the power went down while I was at work. Used it once in the 2 years we were living there and it was great to have it.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
My summer bill is north of $240/month which I have no problem paying...if they “rolling blackout” me I’ll cut them off and create my own power.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Its really simple to disable those boxes so that the utility REALLY doesn't know unless they look at your energy consumption while it is supposed to be "off". Its just a remote controlled relay that is in series to the compressor contactor that will open not allowing the compressor or condenser fan to run The ones I've seen for PG&E at least did not have any sort of amp probe or anything to be able to tell if it truly was or wasn't running.
That would be dishonest and not worth loosing my job over.

76sanger

Reaction score
Well you got to just love these union power companies. They have there hands in the democratic party just deep enough that they control the people just like the government does or tries to.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
That would be dishonest and not worth loosing my job over.
I understand where you are coming from. But I feel they were also very dishonest when they sold it to everybody not stating that it could be well over several hours.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score

Got this last month.

Will run both refrigerator's and most anything else I'd need except the central air.
And it isn't any louder than the Honda 2000 we have at work.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from. But I feel they were also very dishonest when they sold it to everybody not stating that it could be well over several hours.
You can opt out at anytime

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

that is easy to bypass if you want and still get the discount

Echo Lodge

Reaction score

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score

Have you ever looked at UPS and FedEx earnings for the month of December? They go in the toilet every year. Why? Because they spend so much money trying to service all the extra volume for 2 weeks...it isn’t worth it any more. Both companies will be charging shippers up to $4 per box for additional volume over their (i think it was February) run rates.

Should be interesting to see what happens this year. Order your shit early because they are all already behind due to Covid volumes. USPS, FedEx, UPS and Amazon are all experiencing delays already. This holiday season is going to be a train wreck.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Happens every year. Better build some power plants because my AC isn't above 75 all day, and it's at 60 after 7:30 pm.

DLC

Reaction score
This is so funny, the Power company’s have ONE job to do and that is to Provide Electric to their customers, they know what the temperature is and they know we have to stay at home....
when you use to much electric they charge you extra and extra, gasoline company’s don’t fo that, grocery stores don’t do that Only water and Electricity can get away with that Crap!

my winter water bill in Escondido with out sewer and irrigation going is more than my highest my water usage Month with sewer fees in havasu, and HAVASU is in the desert....

CLdrinker

Reaction score
This is so funny, the Power company’s have ONE job to do and that is to Provide Electric to their customers, they know what the temperature is and they know we have to stay at home....
when you use to much electric they charge you extra and extra, gasoline company’s don’t fo that, grocery stores don’t do that Only water and Electricity can get away with that Crap!

my winter water bill in Escondido with out sewer and irrigation going is more than my highest my water usage Month with sewer fees in havasu, and HAVASU is in the desert....
Gasoline definitely plays with prices. Always goes up during the summer.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Renewable mandates have meant the decommissioning of thermal (combustion and nuclear) power plants. There simply isn't enough generators to feed the loads when the loads requires it.

California is only a preview of the rest of the United States in several years time.

Meaney77

Reaction score
9A49765F-B9B3-4CC5-A518-5D3DAD234E69.jpeg

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I love how people blame the power companies. That’s the last place blame should go. Take a look at the government (again) when deciding where to place the blame for the lack of power.

Who made SCE decommission San Onofre? The government.

Who won’t let any more dams be built (which would help with power generation as well as drought conditions)? The government.

Who mandates this “renewable energy” BS that prohibits power companies from producing or procuring power from sources that are just as good? The government.

If it were entirely up to the power companies, they’d build out the infrastructure that is needed to meet demands at all times. But it isn’t up to them.

Vote accordingly.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I love how people blame the power companies. That’s the last place blame should go. Take a look at the government (again) when deciding where to place the blame for the lack of power.

Who made SCE decommission San Onofre? The government.

Who won’t let any more dams be built (which would help with power generation as well as drought conditions)? The government.

Who mandates this “renewable energy” BS that prohibits power companies from producing or procuring power from sources that are just as good? The government.

If it were entirely up to the power companies, they’d build out the infrastructure that is needed to meet demands at all times. But it isn’t up to them.

Vote accordingly.

I heard Newsom's press conference today at noon. He said the blame is on them (government) for not properly gauging the levels of power needed during this heatwave. So hes going to form a taskforce to investigate what went wrong (i.e. find the best scapegoat and blame them).

4Waters

Reaction score
Got this email the other day after our power was turned off due to a rotating outage.

Resized_20200815_205203.jpeg

Boat 405

Reaction score
No surprise when they keep shitting down power plants. San onofre, next is diablo canyon. Lol

Singleton

Reaction score
I got notice today we are at risk through Saturday. Portable generator that usually is kept with ToyHauler is packed and heading back to Carlsbad just in case

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I heard Newsom's press conference today at noon. He said the blame is on them (government) for not properly gauging the levels of power needed during this heatwave. So hes going to form a taskforce to investigate what went wrong (i.e. find the best scapegoat and blame them).
You mean hes setting up a task force to funnel some tax payer money to his "friends" that wont do a damn thing and just point to obvious items.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Am I the only one scratching my head about all of these rolling black outs?

There are still tons of businesses including large shopping malls, and restaurants that have closed their doors due to the PLANDEMIC that use little to no electricity. Or have drastically scaled back electricity usage.

Tons of residential and commercial buildings have gone the solar route and no longer rely on SCE for energy needs and are feeding energy back into the system.

Drastic increase in Solar fields across Californian along with large number of wind farms and yet their is still a huge energy stain on the system? How is it that CA is the only one that experiences these outages and has all of these strains on the system, yet warmer/humid areas across the US (places like NC, SC, FL, NY,AZ) where people turn their AC on and dont turn it off for weeks on end never hear much about the same issues?

yeah this makes no sense.

Gyms are closed all across CA along with malls, etc. You know how much juice those businesses consumed??

all the added solar of the last 10 years..... why are there still blackouts?

Wolskis

Reaction score
Doesn't look good tomorrow.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
The largest electrical load was back in like 2008. This weekend it never got close to that level. They all started when.............the sun went down......wierd, huh? I guess solar doesn't work at dusk too well. Whoda think it?

Reactions: DWC

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
yeah this makes no sense.

Gyms are closed all across CA along with malls, etc. You know how much juice those businesses consumed??

all the added solar of the last 10 years..... why are there still blackouts?
in all fairness, its not like the A/C's are shut off at those properties. They have SUBSTANTIALLY reduced load but it is not gone. I highly doubt much of any of them have even adjusted their set points knowing they dont need to cool employees and the public.

hallett21

Reaction score
This will just drive more sales of battery back ups. With a nice 10 year payment plan lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I'm tied into a line that feeds the local fire department so more than likely I won't be impacted. Big unknown perk of buying my place.