WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hurricane Laura

shunter2005

Reaction score
Will probably be catastrophic for Cameron and Lake Charles, La tonight. The gulf coast been through many of these over the years, but I have never heard of one with a very possible 20' storm surge.

farmo83

Reaction score
Used to hit up the boats in Lake Charles when I was younger. I fear they will be washed away. Godspeed to all in there path. I read it is predicted to still be a cat 3 when it gets to Shreveport which is closer to Dallas then Houston.

RichL

Reaction score
Will probably be catastrophic for Cameron and Lake Charles, La tonight. The gulf coast been through many of these over the years, but I have never heard of one with a very possible 20' storm surge.
Not to make light of this but in '69 we followed Hurricane Camille into Buras, LA where a 22' wall of water passed over the Mississippi delta. Can't begin to describe the destruction.

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers also. When I lived in Houston we always rode the Harleys in that entire area. One of my favorite places to ride. Talked to a lot of the guys in the pipeline industry down at Sabine Pass. I remember when Holly Beach was wiped out when I think it was Rita that hit.

SR

Cajun Member
Reaction score
Thank you. We're in the Lafayette area and have been spared what Cameron/Lake Charles are seeing (150 w/185 gusts) , we are getting heavy rain and wind with constant tornado warnings for the last 2-3 hours. We probably have at least another 3-4 hours before we start calming down. We have a lot of trees which can be a blessing and a curse as for as wind goes at ground level. Good luck to anyone else down here !

SR

Cajun Member
Reaction score
You are right, it's going to be really bad out that way when the sun comes up.
2:29 a.m. here at the moment.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Thank you. We're in the Lafayette area and have been spared what Cameron/Lake Charles are seeing (150 w/185 gusts) , we are getting heavy rain and wind with constant tornado warnings for the last 2-3 hours. We probably have at least another 3-4 hours before we start calming down. We have a lot of trees which can be a blessing and a curse as for as wind goes at ground level. Good luck to anyone else down here !
If you are riding it out......You are the man!!!! You can't have been spared a lot. You aren't that far from the eye. Plus you are on the dirty side of it. Please be safe over there and hope you make it through without a lot of damage.

copterzach

Reaction score
One of best friends is riding it out in South of Lake Charles. In Bell City. Just talked to him. Shingles are gone, roof is leaking, looks like sheet metal everywhere out side. No flooding in his house. Generator is rolling.

The guys I stay with in Grand Chenier/Creole left. Came to San Antonio. Their house survived Rita. So we will see what happens.

I am headed out there tomorrow probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copterzach

Reaction score
The alligator farm in Pecan Island and Abbeville should be ok. The farm in Hackberry, not sure. He lost a few barns in Rita. And made some changes. Hopefully they are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Not looking forward to seeing the destruction when the sun comes up today.

Reactions: SR

just_floatin

Reaction score
Just to add perspective on storm surges.
12F6893E-6B02-43AD-9D66-584BF07FA5D2.jpeg

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
You are right, it's going to be really bad out that way when the sun comes up.
2:29 a.m. here at the moment.

any updates ? Hope you and yours are all safe.

Reactions: SR

Duramax

Reaction score
The guy I bought my Daytona from is from Port Arthur/Beaumont. We drove there from Tucson. He said were his house is they are 15' about sea level, but the real problem is power outages that can last weeks. I just text him but no reply.

SR

Cajun Member
Reaction score
If you are riding it out......You are the man!!!! You can't have been spared a lot. You aren't that far from the eye. Plus you are on the dirty side of it. Please be safe over there and hope you make it through without a lot of damage.
any updates ? Hope you and yours are all safe.
Thank yall for thinking of us. We just got power and internet back a short time ago, we are very lucky considering.
Our area did much better than what you will see in the Lake Charles/Cameron area, we have lots of branches,a few trees down (none on the house!) and a pretty good bit of water that's slowly draining off. There are still areas just south of us with rising salt water intrusion which is of concern, the back flow can cause flooding when we least expect it.
We have made it through many hurricanes, but we are always absolutely grateful to come out the other end, especially when they (storms) are this dangerous. Our thoughts and prayers are with all who haven't done so well. Thanks again.

spark2678

Reaction score
Luckily it was a fast mover so I don’t think the ocean surge was able to do what the weather experts thought. Lots of damage but from what I’m seeing could have been way worse.

Last edited:

SR

Cajun Member
Reaction score
Luckily it was a fast mover so I don’t the ocean surge was able to do what the weather experts thought. Lots of damage but from what I’m seeing could have been way worse.
Yes, it was projected to be a hell of a lot worse, it's always a little hard to separate the hype from the actual threat.