WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What Options do I have

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Received a note in the mail that the lot behind my house and sold and is being planned as an apartment complex.

My house is the red pin, the apartment complex will be build where those 5 houses north of me currently stand with the east/west strip of apartment on the north edge of their lot being 3 stories tall. My concern is with privacy into my pool with a 3 story building being put behind me. There is a Zoom public comment meeting being held on 09/09, is it realistic to ask them for privacy walls o be put up on their dime?

Apartment.PNG

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
You absolutely can demand that. What kind of apartments are they? How many units and how many parking spaces? How many are 2 bed? 3? etc.... All that is something to be concerned about and something that needs to be discussed in the meeting. As well as the likely property value drop as it will back up to a multi-story apartment building.

sintax

Reaction score
You absolutely can demand that. What kind of apartments are they? How many units and how many parking spaces? How many are 2 bed? 3? etc.... All that is something to be concerned about and something that needs to be discussed in the meeting. As well as the likely property value drop as it will back up to a multi-story apartment building.

that last item would be my largest concern. I'd be willing to bet that would drastically change peoples desire for the place.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
You want at minimum a line of sight into your yard and home privacy wall. Get your neighbors together on it too.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Received a note in the mail that the lot behind my house and sold and is being planned as an apartment complex.

My house is the red pin, the apartment complex will be build where those 5 houses north of me currently stand with the east/west strip of apartment on the north edge of their lot being 3 stories tall. My concern is with privacy into my pool with a 3 story building being put behind me. There is a Zoom public comment meeting being held on 09/09, is it realistic to ask them for privacy walls o be put up on their dime?

View attachment 916451
What is the large parking lot there for currently ? Depending on what the current zoning is there they will have to have a vote by council/ planning commission to change it if it’s zoned single unit residential right now and is going to apartments.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
When I got word that the church was selling the lot, I was hoping for townhomes to avoid the crop of renters and concerns about property value. We only bought in late 2018 so selling isn't necessarily in the cards.

What is the large parking lot there for currently ? Depending on what the current zoning is there they will have to have a vote by council/ planning commission to change it if it’s zoned single unit residential right now and is going to apartments.

Parking lot is for the church that is across Miller dr from the lot, they owned the lot with the houses and parking and sold it to fund a remodel for the church.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Sell now and move. The city is gonna roll you in the name of diversity and low income housing opportunities. Easy button.

This is what I would do.

Singleton

Reaction score
View attachment 916458

Here are the plans, my house is where the purple X is in the top right corner

based on plan, as @Ziggy said you want a full privacy barrier (wall or full growth trees) limiting views into your house and backyard.

To be honest, you property value will go down, so even through you purchased in 2018, might want to try and sell.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Years ago we moved to a certain area so that the girls would go to a specific high school. By the time the youngest was a senior, the amount of crime and violence in the school matched the number of apartments that had been built in the area.

I hate even typing that but it is true. When she graduated, we moved. My wifes’ office moved further away, so it was convenient for us timing wise but we would have moved any way.

In fact, we sold our house and rented so she didn’t change schools during her senior year...we just wanted out of the house to make it easier to move quickly.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
If myself and some neighbors raise enough stink with the city, can we kill the project altogether or is that not possible?

Singleton

Reaction score
If myself and some neighbors raise enough stink with the city, can we can the project altogether or is that not possible?

I would try to find a RE lawyer and see if they will share options with you.
big factor will be zoning of land and if sale is pending rezoning.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
View attachment 916458

Here are the plans, my house is where the purple X is in the top right corner

https://www.stalwarthousingmesa.com/ link to the full plans and design
My take after looking at the plans....Those apartments look pretty swishy to me, damn, after looking at the pictures I want to live there. 😂. Also it looks like the apartments are a considerable distance from your house. It looks like you will back up to carports or garages which aren't that tall. It does look like you might be able to get a glimpse of the complex pool👍...I'd wait to ask for that barrier.😂

Cdog

Reaction score
Years ago we moved to a certain area so that the girls would go to a specific high school. By the time the youngest was a senior, the amount of Diversity and violence in the school matched the number of apartments that had been built in the area.

I hate even typing that but it is true. When she graduated, we moved. My wifes’ office moved further away, so it was convenient for us timing wise but we would have moved any way.

In fact, we sold our house and rented so she didn’t change schools during her senior year...we just wanted out of the house to make it easier to move quickly.

I fixed this for you.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Icing on the cake from the website, designed for college students!

"The site is located approximately one-third of a mile east of the Hillsong College and church campus. This development will be available to anyone wishing to rent an apartment, but is intended to provide housing to students of Hillsong College. "

Cdog

Reaction score
If myself and some neighbors raise enough stink with the city, can we kill the project altogether or is that not possible?

By the time you try and fail the damage is done. Take your equity and go find another home.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Based on the plans, I think you will be OK on the sightlines with proper foilage. My biggest issue would be the parking lot. Request the parking lot be limited access with gates for resident parking only.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score

You might slow the project down giving you time to sell and move on. A wall @ your back yard high enuff to provide privacy from a 3rd floor apartment will be interesting. Sell.

bagged97taco

Reaction score

"The site is located approximately one-third of a mile east of the Hillsong College and church campus. This development will be available to anyone wishing to rent an apartment, but is intended to provide housing to students of Hillsong College. "
College chicks and pool! Request that the pool be built within viewing distance of your house. Sorry had to say it. That sucks but I would sell ASAP

Motor Boater

Reaction score

maybe. It needs to be handled properly though. If they are doing a public meeting or neighborhood meeting it’s probably because that’s required for a rezone. They try to shake out all the issues and show the city that they are handling Neighbors concerns. You should get everyone to voice their concern intelligently. Saying “I just don’t want it” doesn’t work. There is a lot to itbut it can be done. You need to be at the city council meeting for the actual rezone and express your concerns. We just stopped this exact thing in my neighborhood so it can be done.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
By the time you try and fail the damage is done. Take your equity and go find another home.

This is completely false. I’m a real estate developer and I can show tons of property we would buy and develop tomorrow if the neighbors wouldn’t block the rezone. If it’s already zoned for apartments then he’s screwed.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
This is completely false. I’m a real estate developer and I can show tons of property we would buy and develop tomorrow if the neighbors wouldn’t block the rezone. If it’s already zoned for apartments then he’s screwed.

How do I know if it is already rezoned? Prior, it was 5 houses and a parking lot all owned by the church, they rented out the houses and used the parking lot as overflow for Christmas and Easter.

Cdog

Reaction score

So which is it? He's in Mesa.......https://www.selectmesa.com/business-environment/incentives-programs/opportunity-zones

Reaction score
I develop small commercial projects around the country and am constantly working with neighbors that feel their home values will drop, noise, traffic, etc. If it is already zoned multifamily then there is probably a site plan, PD, or SUP process that the developer needs to go through with the City. This normally will require a public hearing. My advice is to immediately contact the City Planner assigned to this project and express your concerns. If you want a wall or extra landscaping added to their plans then tell the Planner. They will more than likely force the developer to include reasonable items.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
How do I know if it is already rezoned? Prior, it was 5 houses and a parking lot all owned by the church, they rented out the houses and used the parking lot as overflow for Christmas and Easter.

look at the paperwork they sent you. They have to contact you for the rezone. I assume hat’s why they reached out to you.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Sell now and move. The city is gonna roll you in the name of diversity and low income housing opportunities. Easy button.
This

OP -
Do not delay - with the market and rates right now, you'll be headed to escrow in a week and out by 45 days. Sell before it gets further down the pike! The problem will be you may have to disclose the situation.....

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

Asking that question tells me that you've never fought "city hall"

Do you have a full head of hair (not gray)? Are you in good/great health? How's your blood pressure? And financially, are you really well off (wealthy)? Do you have influential (well connected) wealthy friends who also are lawyers?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score

And like I said in my last post, from the plans it looks like you might have a view of the pool. I see nothing but WINNING here.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
And like I said in my last post, from the plans it looks like you might have a view of the pool. I see nothing but WINNING here.

You want to move to AZ? I'll make you my special price

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

With apartments 400 or so feet east of the subject property I would assume this property is zoned the same.

Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 12.07.13 PM - Edited.png
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 12.10.41 PM - Edited.png

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Start getting estimates on a really high wall and a moat !

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
This

OP -
Do not delay - with the market and rates right now, you'll be headed to escrow in a week and out by 45 days. Sell before it gets further down the pike! The problem will be you may have to disclose the situation.....

That would be my fear if you didn't advise of the apartment they could come back after you.

Loo Dog

Reaction score
With apartments 400 or so feet east of the subject property I would assume this property is zoned the same.

View attachment 916495 View attachment 916496
This would also be my assumption, and easy enough to verify if the church sold the (5) houses and parking lot as a single APN. My guess is the zoning ship has sailed, you won’t be able to fight a re-zoning that doesn’t exist. On a good note, it doesn’t appear there will be any line of sight issues into your back yard.

2Driver

Reaction score
How do you sell with that looming for buyers? I suppose you would need to disclose and some buyers just don’t care
What a 30’ wall?

Also the parking spots look to be agaist your property line. It would suck hearing everyone locking and unlocking car doors and alarms going off. On the good note it makes the buildings farther away and it looks like you have an alley too for space. Honestly from the back yards I’ve seen in some subdivisions it’s still better then what youll,end up with, some of those are like dueling back yards and 2 story face offs. Could never live like that.

I dont know the paremeters of selling it now that building is looming but if it were me Id find out how to do it legally without recourse and leave asap.

Last edited:

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
As Arizona gets more and more blue, you might have some environmental reasons for a delay and potentially stopping it. I have no knowledge of the options. I just know that's a huge hurdle California. We have CEQA, which is a joke of an environmental law that doesn't even achieve any environmental purpose. It just allows as little as one person to demand environmental review and a project can cost millions more and be delayed for years... ask Walmart.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
If it were me I'd try selling to an investor and leasing the property back then wait for the right opportunity for my next purchase.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I doubt it. Norco tried with the carmax. They started building anyways. Then corona virus now they’ve stopped. Now half way done it’s worse than just being done. Awesome

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
As Arizona gets more and more blue, you might have some environmental reasons for a delay and potentially stopping it. I have no knowledge of the options. I just know that's a huge hurdle California. We have CEQA, which is a joke of an environmental law that doesn't even achieve any environmental purpose. It just allows as little as one person to demand environmental review and a project can cost millions more and be delayed for years... ask Walmart.

I don't want to go quite that nuclear, I am okay with development as those 5 houses are quite dilapidated and the parking lot is an eye sore. I just don't want apartments, was really hoping for higher end townhomes.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
How do you sell with that looming for buyers. I suppose you would need to disclose.

What a 30’ wall?

also the parking spots look to be agaist your property line. It would suck hearing everyone locking and unlocking car doors and alarms going off .

I dont know the paremeters of selling now that is looming but Id find out how to do it legally without recourse and leave asap.

The good news is the disclosure of a *potential* apartment building in the works near the home, wont stop the demand for his house. Market is so hot right now, he'll have it sold regardless. Definitely need to disclose though to CYA

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
The good news is the disclosure of a *potential* apartment building in the works near the home, wont stop the demand for his house. Market is so hot right now, he'll have it sold regardless. Definitely need to disclose though to CYA

Yeah I doubt I'll have a problem selling, just really concerned about the subsequent purchase. Took us about 8 months of looking to find this house (at least quarter acre, pool, and newer, this house was built in 2014 because the original 60's built house burned to the ground)

lbhsbz

Reaction score
If you sell now, you'll have to disclose the apartment getting built soon and that might put off quite a few buyers. My advise would be to stay there and wait for it to be built...then sell. Then you don't have to disclose anything, and nobody will be on the property long enough before closing to realize what a pain in the ass it is living near apartments.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
If you sell now, you'll have to disclose the apartment getting built soon and that might put off quite a few buyers. My advise would be to stay there and wait for it to be built...then sell. Then you don't have to disclose anything, and nobody will be on the property long enough before closing to realize what a pain in the ass it is living near apartments.
The question is, what happens to the market if he waits 2 years till Apartment gets vetted and built?
He bought 8 months ago, if he needs to get out nows definitely the time. Like right now. Best chance at breaking even or close to it and getting out of a potential long term bad situation

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The question is, what happens to the market if he waits 2 years till Apartment gets vetted and built?
He bought 8 months ago, if he needs to get out nows definitely the time. Like right now. Best chance at breaking even or close to it and getting out of a potential long term bad situation

What will drop the price more...disclosing that apartments will be built or having apartments there already? I don't know the answer. One leaves a significant unknown...one doesn't.