WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Home Generator

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I don't pay attention to that sh!t anymore since I escaped. I only wish you and all the other Californians on RDP could get the hell out. Hope you're doing well

....But the weather.

I saw 111 in LB 5 miles from the beach on Sunday...and it wasn’t a dry fucking heat.

hallett21

Reaction score
We’re a dealer for Generac. If you want the real deal, don’t have to think about it spend the 10k on the 22KW unit and be done.

Otherwise my vote is Honda EU3000/EM6500/EU7000 with an interlock kit. I install the Honda’s for family and friends lol [emoji6].

The portables imo are a lot more versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AQUA-HOLICS

Reaction score
hallett21, is it possible to use 2-Honda 2,000’s for back up house power?

hallett21

Reaction score
hallett21, is it possible to use 2-Honda 2,000’s for back up house power?

Yes, however it will be a 30amp 120v circuit. So if you’re tying into the main/sub panel you’ll only be able to power one phase (every other breaker).

You can add a sub panel with “emergency circuits” and lay them out to run on every other breaker. This can cause an imbalance on the load during normal non generator operation because typically the “emergency circuits” are routinely used. Not the end of the world but a factor.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, however it will be a 30amp 120v circuit. So if you’re tying into the main/sub panel you’ll only be able to power one phase (every other breaker).

You can add a sub panel with “emergency circuits” and lay them out to run on every other breaker. This can cause an imbalance on the load during normal non generator operation because typically the “emergency circuits” are routinely used. Not the end of the world but a factor.

I know enough about electrical to get me in trouble.
But I have been wondering about running my 3500 to back feed into my solar sub panel.
My predator 3500 has (2) 15 amp 110v plugs on it.
Could I wire up them to a 30amp 220v plug and then feed into my sub panel? Which them would “activate” the solar system giving me the ability to run my house completely?

of course at night I would need to power everything non necesssry off and run minimal devices. But why wouldnt it work?

was thinking of something like this?
67FD2BB4-7CAD-4BB1-8D17-71F7D05D7D91.png
00FFA86B-09B7-4766-8217-DD37DF468AFE.png
37A2BEE0-FE73-428A-9C3C-1CE3C19F254E.png

Last edited:
Reactions: TPC

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So if the Hondas are 2200 watt max and 1800 watt running and I pair them together - I assume it's 4400 watts max and 3600 watts running. And both together are about $2200 which seems good for that much power. Am I missing something on these numbers?

And I just realized there's more to consider...elevation...here's what I read and I need to figure this out before I go camping in the mountains with it...

Honda does not have high altitude kits, the higher in elevation a small engine is operated the smaller the jet size in the carb would be.
From sea level to 2000’ you would use the stock jet the carb came with from Honda.
From 2000’ to 5000’ feet the first smaller jet for that carb.
From 5000’ to 14000’ the second smaller jet for that carb.
Dealers in high altitude areas are very knowledgeable on high elevation operation.

My buddy parallels 2 little Honda 2200's, with an expansion tank, etc. I'd just run a 3500 predator and be done with it for less than 1/2 the money! If your not putting 1500 hours on it who cares as long as it works well?
I’m seriously cons this one from Costco, This company I guess is a huge manufacturer of Gens for many other companies. View attachment 920953 View attachment 920954
shit I have one like that I’ll give you! Starts every time. Loud as shit! Gets it done though.

hallett21

Reaction score
But I have been wondering about running my 3500 to back feed into my solar sub panel.
Could I wire up them to a 30amp 220v plug and then feed into my sub panel? Which them would “activate” the solar system giving me the ability to run my house completely?

of course at night I would need to power everything non necesssry off and run minimal devices. But why wouldnt it work?

@BasilHayden

I’d have to see how it’s wired but the solar could easily cook the generator.

You’d have to isolate the generator from the utility and solar.

The 120v generators only make 120v. They don’t have a second phase. You could wire to a 120-240 transformer. But I think you’d be better buying a new 240v generator.

hallett21

Reaction score
It’s says 68dB’s.

Our Honda 6500s are in that range. It’s not bad but your neighbor 2-3 doors down will know you are running something.

The EU (inverter) line are noticeably quieter. Only your next door neighbor will hear that.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
We’re a dealer for Generac. If you want the real deal, don’t have to think about it spend the 10k on the 22KW unit and be done.

Otherwise my vote is Honda EU3000/EM6500/EU7000 with an interlock kit. I install the Honda’s for family and friends lol [emoji6].

What are your thoughts on doing a propane conversion to the Honda inverter gens? I see 3rd party aftermarket companies offering the kits but not Honda.

hallett21

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on doing a propane conversion to the Honda inverter gens? I see 3rd party aftermarket companies offering the kits but not Honda.

I look at all of these portable generators in a SHTF kind of way. If propane is easy to come by for you or you have a large supply then I say go for it. If you have 20 gallons of unleaded always on hand then stay gas. Assuming the gas is good.

Give you a perfect example. During the Woosley fires while fighting the fire with my father in law. We were on the north end of the 101 off of Las Virgenes. There’s a gas station down the hill.

The sheriffs were posted there and said if you leave you can’t come back. Well his F350 and my 3500 diesel did us jack shit to get fuel
In the generator. Honda EU7000

We went car to car with a hose. Wouldn’t you know it.... everyone left the car with no gas at home lol. We finally went to a neighbor with a 28ft fishing boat that ran unleaded.

Edit. I forgot to add we had 15 gallons of propane.

I like Honda because they just work and they work well. Not a huge fan of modifying them but I know a few people who have and haven’t complained.

For people in CA, when the earthquake happens what will everyone make a run on. We just watched fist fights over TP. Imagine fuel lol.

riverrat4lfe

Reaction score

What’s the price or the install if I buy the unit from another source?

hallett21

Reaction score
What’s the price or the install if I buy the unit from another source?

The biggest issue is it’s never the same install. Sometimes it’s $1500 because everything is perfect. Sometimes it’s 5-10k because the fuel source is 300ft away and we need to upgrade the main panel.

riverrat4lfe

Reaction score
I would do it right. Generac 22K, (19K on natural gas I believe). Whole house, automatic transfer switch. Installed for around $7500. Run everything including the A/C. I did this in my arrowhead house. Can't tell you how many times it paid off!

Do you have the contact for this company?

DLC

Reaction score
I look at all of these portable generators in a SHTF kind of way. If propane is easy to come by for you or you have a large supply then I say go for it. If you have 20 gallons of unleaded always on hand then stay gas. Assuming the gas is good.

Give you a perfect example. During the Woosley fires while fighting the fire with my father in law. We were on the north end of the 101 off of Las Virgenes. There’s a gas station down the hill.

The sheriffs were posted there and said if you leave you can’t come back. Well his F350 and my 3500 diesel did us jack shit to get fuel
In the generator. Honda EU7000

We went car to car with a hose. Wouldn’t you know it.... everyone left the car with no gas at home lol. We finally went to a neighbor with a 28ft fishing boat that ran unleaded.

Edit. I forgot to add we had 15 gallons of propane.

I like Honda because they just work and they work well. Not a huge fan of modifying them but I know a few people who have and haven’t complained.

For people in CA, when the earthquake happens what will everyone make a run on. We just watched fist fights over TP. Imagine fuel lol.

I have in the back of my mind if SHTF I’m running down to CVS with bolt cutters and grabbing 10-15 propane tanks from the outside cage!

Echo Lodge

Reaction score

I asked Andy the same about my Solar when he installed it and he said no. You need a clean sine wave and somewhere for the excess solar generated power to go like a battery.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I asked Andy the same about my Solar when he installed it and he said no. You need a clean sine wave and somewhere for the excess solar generated power to go like a battery.

@BasilHayden

The 120v generators only make 120v. They don’t have a second phase. You could wire to a 120-240 transformer. But I think you’d be better buying a new 240v generator.

So if I kill the solar feed and utility feed.....Then will my thought work to run the house? Using the items I posted? Run a fridge some lights and maybe the furnace?

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
We have a place at the Landing and power outages are just a part of the deal. I just bought this one at Costco: https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-running--9400w-peak-tri-fuel-generator.product.100648883.html

imageService

It runs on Gasoline, LPG or Nat Gas. My thought was to use the LPG as primary, and if there is an extended outage I can use gasoline while swapping LPG tanks. I got it for $600, but shows as $899 today. In the store last week it was $799. The day I bought it there was $200 instant rebate. Electric start, wheels and came with a decent cover as well. Started right away on LPG when I tested it.

6750 watts on LPG. 50 AMP

Last edited:

BasilHayden

Reaction score
@BasilHayden

VERY BAD IDEA

Solar is not intended to be operated with generators, especially not with these emergency little setups being discussed. There are a few exceptions, but it requires the solar to be able to monitor consumption and to be able to throttle output in order to follow the homes actual needs, lets just say that is not what I have seen in this thread. As I have said before, please be careful and understand the limitations of these setups as well as the dangers possible.

hallett21

Reaction score
So if I kill the solar feed and utility feed.....Then will my thought work to run the house? Using the items I posted? Run a fridge some lights and maybe the furnace?

Yes if they are all on the same phase. You would use your 30amp twist lock to feed half of the panel.

Running two 120v cords from a 120v generator to each phase of your panel could fry a neutral if you have any multi wire branch circuits. Which are two hots sharing a neutral back to the panel.

Also you run the risk of messing up any 240v circuits.

HitIt

Reaction score
DO NOT back-feed both 120V sides of your panel WITHOUT KNOWING EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

120+120 doesn't always equal 240!

X Hoser

Reaction score
Do you have the contact for this company?

I bought the generator online from norwal.com for $5100. delivered to my door. 20kw and it included the whole house transfer switch. (I stand corrected on my original post, not 22kw/19kw, actually 20kw and 17kw on natural gas). At the time they had free delivery. (Around Christmas - New Years). I also had to buy a battery as it does not come with one for the automatic start, $75. The installation location was a few feet from the gas meter and electrical panel. I already had a concrete pad in place. Schafe Electric in Arrowhead installed the transfer switch and made all of the connections , fired it up and checked all voltages for $1500. Ran the whole house with no issues. Surprisingly, Home Depot has these on sale often too. Usually online only.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I just got one of these. Haven't used it yet other than to just test it but it came highly recommended by and inmate here and I confirmed the specs vs the price with a RV Repair shop owner. For $1100 its a great deal.

Generator.jpg

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I just got one of these. Haven't used it yet other than to just test it but it came highly recommended by and inmate here and I confirmed the specs vs the price with a RV Repair shop owner. For $1100 its a great deal.

View attachment 921155

One gen website I went to says this Cummins Onan P4500i is discontinued https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Cummins-Onan-P4500I-Portable-Generator/p99265.html

I don't know if that's true but I did find this Westinghouse unit which LOOKS like the same one. It's available and under $1,000

This website says it's the same thing: https://generatorbible.com/compare/p-8298/p-14690/

Dr Rob

Reaction score

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I took the bad Predator 3500 into Harbor Freight yesterday. They didn't have any to replace it with and told me they are holding one for me at the Ventura HF with my name on it. I said "Ventura?" they said yes, Ventura.

So I drove up to Ventura and they didn't have any and called the Simi Store and were told they meant "Tujunga HF. Sorry."

Then I headed to the Tujunga store and their was a line of people exchanging their Predators 3500's too. All kind of reasons, some bizarre. Hey, it's Harbor Freight.
I got the last one under the $90 extended warranty that I bought year ago. That warranty is now $160 and I declined. You have to repurchase the warranty with the exchange if still you want it. The replacement generator has a 90 day standard. I'll roll with that.

So I get home, put in the oil, hook up the battery, put in fresh gas and start the replacement generator. It starts, sputters, and quits. Won't restart.
I bust out the troubleshooting instructions and through elimination made it down to step 11 - determine it's a bad magneto. Removed the Torch plug, put in a NGK and yep, still no spark.

So we repeat the process.

I thought I was outsmarting Honda buying a HF. No,, Honda outsmarted me.
Ya get what you pay for.
D24B617F-6E45-43A9-8093-246B60CD006B.jpeg

Last edited:

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Harbor Freight is the Walmart of tools. Chinese imports and knock-offs. If you need something fast and cheap and don't care if it lasts, that's the place. Friends who shop there say if the thing they bought broke, they just go back and buy it again. To them its cheaper (and maybe it is, even including the second time) than buying something quality up front.

Me, I'm the opposite. Give me quality up front, I'll pay for it, and then I don't have to worry about it.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I took the bad Predator 3500 into Harbor Freight yesterday. They didn't have any to replace it with and told me they are holding one for me at the Ventura HF with my name on it. I said "Ventura?" they said yes, Ventura.

So I drove up to Ventura and they didn't have any and called the Simi Store and were told they meant "Tujunga HF. Sorry."

Then I headed to the Tujunga store and their was a line of people exchanging their Predators 3500's too. All kind of reasons, some bizarre. Hey, it's Harbor Freight.
I got the last one under the $90 extended warranty that I bought year ago. That warranty is now $160 and I declined. You have to repurchase the warranty with the exchange if still you want it. The replacement generator has a 90 day standard. I'll roll with that.

So I get home, put in the oil, hook up the battery, put in fresh gas and start the replacement generator. It starts, sputters, and quits. Won't restart.
I bust out the troubleshooting instructions and through elimination made it down to step 11 - determine it's a bad magneto. Removed the Torch plug, put in a NGK and yep, still no spark.

So we repeat the process.

I thought I was outsmarting Honda buying a HF. No,, Honda outsmarted me.
Ya get what you pay for. View attachment 921383

Thanks for posting your experience with the HF genny. You've convinced me to go Honda/Yamaha - likely Honda since there are more locations/sellers

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I paid about $920 each for the Honda 2200's. The parallel kit was $23 with the RV adapter plug. The Companion eu2200 is a few bucks more.
36.6 AMP potential behind a 30 AMP receptacle when used in parallel. When it over-loads I dunno so I just count on the 30 AMPs.
They never came off econo idle when running the RV AC on a hot day. (I put the RV ac onto river mode - full cooling to avoid hot restarts.)
Turn the Econo mode off when running the AC.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Harbor Freight is the Walmart of tools. Chinese imports and knock-offs. If you need something fast and cheap and don't care if it lasts, that's the place. Friends who shop there say if the thing they bought broke, they just go back and buy it again. To them its cheaper (and maybe it is, even including the second time) than buying something quality up front.

Me, I'm the opposite. Give me quality up front, I'll pay for it, and then I don't have to worry about it.
I have quite the collection of Honda inverter Generators. I love 'um.

One of the guys standing in line at the HF Tujunga Store with a new Predator 3500 he was replacing had taken it home the day before, opened the hatch to add oil and discovered the press steel frame was completely split in half.
Bizarre reasons I tell ya. WTF?

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
I paid about $920 each for the Honda 2200's. The parallel kit was $23 with the RV adapter plug. The Companion eu2200 is a few bucks more.
36.6 AMP potential behind a 30 AMP receptacle when used in parallel. When it over-loads I dunno so I just count on the 30 AMPs.
They never came off econo idle when running the RV AC on a hot day. (I put the RV ac onto river mode - full cooling to avoid hot restarts.)

I have three Honda 2000's and one is the companion model. Quiet and they have been very dependable. Can't go wrong with Honda.

WhatExit?

Reaction score

THAT is a great price - recent purchase? (where?)

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I bought mine in Idaho on sale at a farm equipment supply store and they discounted them further.
Cash and carry, no CC's.
That's a sign new models are coming.

They had the Honda 7000 for $4100 + fees but those were spoken for.
Yamahas are outstanding with extra features but they are really heavy for my applications.

Last edited:

bigdaddybd

Reaction score

I was thinking of buying one but I was hesitant. I can't decide between model EU2200i and model EU3000i. It is important to me which one is quieter. Which one would you recommend?

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
The bigger ones are interesting but I think I'm going to start with a smaller inverter generator unit - probably a Honda EU2200i) as I can take it off roading/camping and have it at the house for emergencies. It'll likely be good enough to power the fridge (I checked the surge watts) and I figure I could always get the mate for it and pair the two together for more juice.

I'm probably going to buy from Home Depot and pay it over 6 months with zero interest unless I can find a better reason to buy elsewhere.

Get the Honda 2200 Companion, has 30 amp connection.

rrrr

Reaction score

View attachment 920976 View attachment 920977 View attachment 920978

Don't even think about doing something like this. Your admitted lack of knowledge could create a situation that involves you lying on your garage floor with no pulse.

I'm pretty much appalled at some of the posts in this thread, with "suicide plugs" and "backfeed" in a couple of them. Half assing electrical connections to a generator to run a refrigerator using a diagram off of the internet isn't very smart.

Call a freekin' electrician. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
Yes if they are all on the same phase. You would use your 30amp twist lock to feed half of the panel.

Running two 120v cords from a 120v generator to each phase of your panel could fry a neutral if you have any multi wire branch circuits. Which are two hots sharing a neutral back to the panel.

Also you run the risk of messing up any 240v circuits.

You shouldn't encourage people to do stuff like this. Saying "yes" to any part of his half baked idea is irresponsible.

He doesn't understand a damned thing about phases, multi-wire circuits or shared neutrals.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I was thinking of buying one but I was hesitant. I can't decide between model EU2200i and model EU3000i. It is important to me which one is quieter. Which one would you recommend?
I think the eu3000 the quieter and seems to burn less fuel. The Honda Handi 3000 is a smooth and quiet gen by has a bit less power than the eu3000 and is pull start.

Our neighborhood power went out for a full day last month and several people in the neighborhood had the champions. They are very loud. Sledge hammers of hell. Louder, that is much louder than if everyone was mowing their lawns.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Please, Please think of the Lineman who are working to restore your power before hooking anything to a panel. Do it right or run a cord isolated from any circuits.
Back-feeds are a silent killer. Sure they test but if one lights up their shit after a test you are risking lives.
rrrr is 100 percent correct.

hallett21

Reaction score
You shouldn't encourage people to do stuff like this. Saying "yes" to any part of his half baked idea is irresponsible.

He doesn't understand a damned thing about phases, multi-wire circuits or shared neutrals.

I apologize I thought I made it clear 2 120v feeds from the same generator was a bad idea.

The 30amp properly wired (proper interlock or isolated generator backup panel) would “technically” work, but would not be something I would install.

My previous posts in this thread do not mention suicide cords or feeding panels off of lugs. Only interlocks and properly sized power supplies.

Last thing I would want is for someone to get hurt from reading something on here.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Yeah a repost but what the hey:

a0ae562a-7704-4932-994c-344f054d0a4f-jpeg.940036
8db240ad-1914-4ab1-a444-d547aef4e0eb-jpeg.940037

a06fbaaa-2aca-4870-bb53-c5a2796ecdcb-jpeg.940038
29B84629-BF26-4204-A3F0-29669DCD58E6.jpeg

50 Amp Reliance.
If you accidentally hot up and back feed power to an electrical crew it only takes a few amps to
kill them.
Go quality - go with code, spend a few bucks on a competent electrician.

Electricians told me Honda uses a 50 AMP "California Plug." It differs at the generator receptacle connection.
The Powerhorse has the 50 AMP RV style in addition to all kinds of others.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Help me understand that setup. Are you leaving the main breaker to the grid on an isolating these circuits?

My setup has a grid interlock switch from the main and a pony panel.

It looks like you can independently cut specific circuits from the grid on this setup- like you can mix and match.

That panel is really cool, but it looks like you are splitting the 220/240 from the genset feed in - or maybe the leftmost switch is 220 and you energize one 220 circuit?

hallett21

Reaction score
Help me understand that setup. Are you leaving the main breaker to the grid on an isolating these circuits?

My setup has a grid interlock switch from the main and a pony panel.

It looks like you can independently cut specific circuits from the grid on this setup- like you can mix and match.

That panel is really cool, but it looks like you are splitting the 220/240 from the genset feed in - or maybe the leftmost switch is 220 and you energize one 220 circuit?

This panel has a transfer switch for each circuit (top switches). It comes with a pre wired pig tail for the circuits and the utility feed (240).

Typically you move your emergency circuits from the main or sub panel to the generator panel. (j box on the right is the splice) The circuit is still fed from the original breaker, hits the transfer switch in the generator panel and then goes back to the original load via the bottom breakers.

The generator only feeds this panel and has no way back to the home’s main panel. The transfer switches only allow GEN/OFF/Utility and never a combination of the 3.

It eliminates the need to have to worry about shutting down unnecessary circuits (A/C condenser/pool/etc). Which for those that don’t know is very important when using a portable generator. Too much load and the generator breaker will continually trip while your wife and baby are yelling [emoji16]

Edit: attaching reliance’s wiring diagram for reference.

View attachment 940775

Last edited: