WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pebble tech vs plaster?

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Pebble Tech is twice as durable and looks so much nicer. Only downside is that it's quite a bit more costly, but worth it.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Do pebble sheen with bead crete and crushed abalone shells.
Much smoother than pebble tech and the beadcrete and abalone will make the water and surface shimmer like nothing else.
Superior Pool Plaster in Phoenix is who developed the process.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Pebble sheen is much easier of the feet. Normally plaster lasts 10 years, Pebble 20. Not much of an upgrade really. Just a couple thousand. Just had my pool redone a couple years ago from plaster to pebble sheen. Some people do Pebble Tech in the pool then Pebble Sheen in the spa. Easier on the ladies suits. Smaller pebbles

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
Clearly I need to look into pebble sheen. The pebble tech is nice looking, but it is rough on the feet sometimes. I feel like the spa in particular is very rough with the pebble tech.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I think we are going with quartz for our build that should be starting in the next month or so.

Where do you live ? Who is doing the build?

We are looking at doing a remodel, 20 years ago we put in Pebble tech... doing that again. adding a Baja shelf, redoing the deck, repiping the the pool... repipe is because it presently has 2" copper pipe... from 1978. So, we don't want to do the deck and end up with a leak under new concrete..... Looking for bids if anyone knows a good company that will come to Mission Viejo here in the OC.

FishSniper

Reaction score

We are looking at doing a remodel, 20 years ago we put in Pebble tech... doing that again. adding a Baja shelf, redoing the deck, repiping the the pool... repipe is because it presently has 2" copper pipe... from 1978. So, we don't want to do the deck and end up with a leak under new concrete..... Looking for bids if anyone knows a good company that will come to Mission Viejo here in the OC.
Build is at Havasu home and Desert Storm is who we went with.

Hammer

Reaction score

@mellowyellowvector

He built my pool came out great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grumpy88

Reaction score
I think we are going with quartz for our build that should be starting in the next month or so.
Thats what we are going with too . Pebble might last twice as long but cost twice as much too . Quartz it is for us but its also our first pool .

Loo Dog

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with quartz, most initial pools are plastered that way if I had to guess. An initial build is expensive, and it softens the blow going with quartz. By the ten year mark and when most people are better established financially, most re-plaster with pebble. My $0.02.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Twice the life simple as that.
Plaster in 5 years or so will show its age, color plaster usually with in months will look years old
Pebble in 10 years will look damn near the same
Regular pebble, mini pebble, and quartz are all pretty much same cost.
95 out of 100 pools we do mini pebble, 1 or 2 Plaster, and a couple hydrazzo or all glass bead

Melloyellovector

Reaction score

We go to MV, let me know

Reactions: ssc

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Why the short expected lifespan of plaster? Our pool didn't start to decay for nearly 27 years. Most of it is still intact after 40 years. Most, not all for sure.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Twice the life simple as that.
Plaster in 5 years or so will show its age, color plaster usually with in months will look years old
Pebble in 10 years will look damn near the same
Regular pebble, mini pebble, and quartz are all pretty much same cost.
95 out of 100 pools we do mini pebble, 1 or 2 Plaster, and a couple hydrazzo or all glass bead
Why would a pool contractor tell me the cost is so dramatically more if thats not true ?

grumpy88

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with quartz, most initial pools are plastered that way if I had to guess. An initial build is expensive, and it softens the blow going with quartz. By the ten year mark and when most people are better established financially, most re-plaster with pebble. My $0.02.
Im finacialy established just fine thanks but 2 separate pool builder's said it would be roughly 7500 more . I dont see a cost benefit in that .

Javajoe

Reaction score

Baja shelf’s are nice. We added a tanning ledge which is about 6”-8” of water. Bajas are too deep we think for us. Added bubblers to keep water moving and it looks cool too. Grandkids love it
17E4CCDC-F922-4085-9E46-6DD9C9BD83BA.png
C353899A-7082-4E35-8C6F-FEA3AC848C98.png

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Why would a pool contractor tell me the cost is so dramatically more if thats not true ?
Im finacialy established just fine thanks but 2 separate pool builder's said it would be roughly 7500 more . I dont see a cost benefit in that .

Between mini regular pebble or quartz ? No difference 100s at best
Hydrazzo with diamond polished finish yes way more, like 10k + over Plaster
Over Plaster average pool add 2000-3000 more for pebble

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Baja shelf’s are nice. We added a tanning ledge which is about 6”-8” of water. Bajas are too deep we think for us. Added bubblers to keep water moving and it looks cool too. Grandkids love it View attachment 922137 View attachment 922138
A Baja, tanning, shamu shelf or many othe names are all the same thing. Depth is determined by builder/owner
On new builds engineer requires min 18 depth for dig and steel. So to save money many builders just put the shelf at 18-24in depth no extra cost on them. To do at 9in depth (1st step height) it costs builder more money to shoot the yards of gunite or Shotcrete to build up to that height filling in from required excavated depth and steel to finish

Firemanjoe

Reaction score
I agree that certain pebbles look very nice and last longer than plaster. We went with blue quartz plaster after seeing dozens of friends pools for the simple reason that it looks great and it’s smooth. We start our dig on Oct 15!

Loo Dog

Reaction score
No offense meant, just saying if you’re established and only want to re-plaster ONE more time, it was a no brainer for me. Mini pebble is nicer AND will outlive me.

4Waters

Reaction score
Why the short expected lifespan of plaster? Our pool didn't start to decay for nearly 27 years. Most of it is still intact after 40 years. Most, not all for sure.
Our original plaster lasted 25-26 years before it started falling apart, our current plaster started falling apart after about 10 years. I hit up Grads about it since I could send him pics of the areas and he said it fairly normal of plaster now. He said something changed and it's definitely not as durable as it was in years past, he re-did his and the same shit happened after 10ish years.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Pebble tec has binder failure occasionally and starts to come apart usually at the steps.

Plaster mottles, but donsnt usually fail outright.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Mottling and discoloration is no big deal to me.
But lifting away from the gunnite is what I've got going on. However in nearly 50 years the water hasn't been changed more than once or twice and chemicals have often been less than optimal.
Proper Ph values can be hard on plaster I've been told.

Mike K

Reaction score
Check out Pebble Sheen instead of Pebble Tech ... I did both ... Pebble Sheen IMHO is beautiful.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
We did pebble tech after the plaster wore out. Was a couple of thousand more and we’re entirely satisfied. Got 13 years out of the plaster but it was a salt water pool which may have contributed to its longevity..

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Has anyone gone with the ozone system?
It’s the new popular thing. Isn’t anything new, ozone has been around for Pools well over 20 years.
Many service guys don’t understand or don’t like salt systems. So they convince owners to do ozone instead.
Yes it works how ever you still need sanitizer ( chlorine ) added to pool. So don’t be talked into that it will replace sanitizer. If doing both salt and ozone. Then all good.

Am I the only one not a fan of pebble tech?
No, there’s many people that don’t like the texture. But life expectancy alone makes most get over it.
Plaster available today is not the same plaster available from 25 years ago or more. The quality of raw materials are no longer in existence.
So the options are to go with some type of aggregate finish. Just like with concrete typically the larger the aggregate the stronger the material. Plus stones, glass etc... don’t stain, so stains in pools are minimized and or lost in the mix of aggregate and plaster.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
If you have kids who play pool basketball or volleyball don't get pebbletech. Their feet will thank you. The smaller stuff is much better.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
It’s the new popular thing. Isn’t anything new, ozone has been around for Pools well over 20 years.
Many service guys don’t understand or don’t like salt systems. So they convince owners to do ozone instead.
Yes it works how ever you still need sanitizer ( chlorine ) added to pool. So don’t be talked into that it will replace sanitizer. If doing both salt and ozone. Then all good.

No, there’s many people that don’t like the texture. But life expectancy alone makes most get over it.
Plaster available today is not the same plaster available from 25 years ago or more. The quality of raw materials are no longer in existence.
So the options are to go with some type of aggregate finish. Just like with concrete typically the larger the aggregate the stronger the material. Plus stones, glass etc... don’t stain, so stains in pools are minimized and or lost in the mix of aggregate and plaster.

What about Hydroblasting the old plaster, better removal system or gimmick?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
My pool is coated with the 3M quartz. I understand it is no longer available. It is now 20 years old and has a few patches here and there that are starting to fail. We'll have to decide how to proceed with a new plaster coat. I'm watching this thread with interest. Not sure we will stay here another 20 years..

petie6464

Reaction score
Surprised people only getting 5-10 years from a plaster pool? My old plaster pool was 22 years old when I sold that house and it was like new and I never touched it.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
What about Hydroblasting the old plaster, better removal system or gimmick?
If they actually remove down to the pool shell, all good. Doesn’t save any money. Supposed to be easier on pool structure by not removing any top surface. If it’s old style blasting just roughing the surface, pass no bueno

Surprised people only getting 5-10 years from a plaster pool? My old plaster pool was 22 years old when I sold that house and it was like new and I never touched it.
See above, that’s old plaster. The raw materials to duplicate that plaster quality no longer exists

Groper

Reaction score
My 3m Quartz pool in Havasu is 7yrs old and looks like shit mostly due to the heat on the Baja Step being shallow along with the minerals in the constant blowing sand/dust.
It's stained with a light brown stain mostly because of the Tard cleaning the pool, I had the water tested and it was a fng mess. So I canned him and went with another guy he's now the 3rd in 7yrs.
The new guy added a bunch of chems to bring it back somewhat over the winter as the water has to be cold for it to work.
I plan on doing a complete remodel pool, deck everything when the economy (if) slows down, my concrete deck coping is crumbling and falling in the pool 🤬 either a bad patch from Campbell Concrete or Alkali in the soil IDK. 😡

I'll definitely go with PT next time unlike the pool surface @Topock ;)

Edited to add a few pool ownership photos, I left the house and a few hour later my neighbour call and said i had water spraying all over, my pressure relief valve popped and sprayed water all over at the same time draining the pool a few feet. You can see how the has discolored and how the coping is fall apart, about six months ago I change from saltwater to chlorine. The salt is a PITA apparently in the desert, why the builder didn't mention that is beyond me and it's been building up salt all around the tile and spillway.

32133.jpeg
32135.jpeg
32136.jpeg
32138.jpeg

Last edited: