WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ca Smog For a 2019 diesel

DMF

Reaction score
Anybody had to smog there 2 year old diesel in Ca for registration renewal? I just got my renewal in the mail and they are asking for a smog cert. I thought new vehicles were good for 8 years to the original owner?

Sherpa

Reaction score
yep.. mines been smogged twice.... 2018 ram.

X Hoser

Reaction score
When I bought my new diesel in 2015 I received a renewal after 2 years that stated it needed a smog OR I could pay an additional $45 or something like that and they would waive the inspection! Total money grab and has nothing to do with air quality at that point!

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Anybody had to smog there 2 year old diesel in Ca for registration renewal? I just got my renewal in the mail and they are asking for a smog cert. I thought new vehicles were good for 8 years to the original owner?
Yup. Did mine yesterday. $46 on to of the $700 registration. Gotta love it.

CobraDave

Reaction score
In Jan I had to smog my brand new truck with 300 miles on it purchased from NV and brought to CA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Because all those knuckle heads that cat-deleted and roll coal , it's now catching up . The state just sits at freeway on ramps and samples the air plume as the vehicles are accelerating up the ramp .

CSmith

Reaction score
Not sure of other parts of AZ but Havasu it goes by the year of the vehicle. Newer vehicles are pretty pricey. As of now no smog but its only a matter of time before AZ is just like CA 🤦‍♂️

wet hull

Reaction score
Moved mine to Arizona registration. Switched my license to Az as well. No smog and $180 all in for license, registration and custom plate.

dribble

Reaction score
When I bought my new diesel in 2015 I received a renewal after 2 years that stated it needed a smog OR I could pay an additional $45 or something like that and they would waive the inspection! Total money grab and has nothing to do with air quality at that point!

dribble

Reaction score
Not in California they didn’t. You can’t pay your way out of a required smog check.

DLC

Reaction score
When I bought my 2007 classic they didn’t have a smog for diesels..... then 2010 popped up and bam! Time to get the fuck out of cali ...

fast foreword to 2020 I should have left 10 years ago...

X Hoser

Reaction score
Not in California they didn’t. You can’t pay your way out of a required smog check.
Absolutely was! Thinking back I can't be sure which vehicle it was on for certain. (2 year registration after purchasing the vehicle). I do know that I thought is was total BS, but paid it as it was cheaper and easier than going in and having it done.

Roaddawg

Reaction score
Absolutely was! Thinking back I can't be sure which vehicle it was on for certain. (2 year registration after purchasing the vehicle). I do know that I thought is was total BS, but paid it as it was cheaper and easier than going in and having it done.

"Starting January 1, 2019, if your vehicle is less than 4 model years old, you can pay a smog abatement fee instead of getting a smog inspection for the first 8 years that your vehicle is registered."

Pretty sure this doesn't apply to diesels

PlanB

Reaction score
When I bought my 2007 classic they didn’t have a smog for diesels..... then 2010 popped up and bam! Time to get the fuck out of cali ...

fast foreword to 2020 I should have left 10 years ago...

Same with our truck. No smog when we bought it new, and now every two years. It's getting closer every time to getting an AZ plate put on it. It spends most of it's life sitting in the garage, so having to smog it every two years is stupid.

Reactions: DLC

77charger

Reaction score
Moved mine to Arizona registration. Switched my license to Az as well. No smog and $180 all in for license, registration and custom plate.
Your ford dropped to 180 or was that for lic too? I only got my lic here gotta do my my truck. Was 375 for a 2004 2500hd gasser in ca. 👎

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
You can thank imbeciles who liked to roll coal for this.
This is dead right. For clarity, I have been in the diesel engine business for 40+ years. All I have really ever done. They are beautiful machines. OEM cheating, smog delete, and rolling coal will kill them.

Hdgasser

Reaction score
Just paid registration on my 17 ram in AZ, it was about $900 I think... for 2 years and custom plates.

wet hull

Reaction score
Your ford dropped to 180 or was that for lic too? I only got my lic here gotta do my my truck. Was 375 for a 2004 2500hd gasser in ca. 👎
Mine was $180 including the $50 custom plate fee. 2009 F-250 Diesel

77charger

Reaction score
Mine was $180 including the $50 custom plate fee. 2009 F-250 Diesel
Nice. I only did my lic trying to stretch that 375 I paid 😂 I still go back here and there for work in ca if they need extra help was there 2 weeks ago since one was on vacation for a week. Then 3 off. 😁

NicPaus

Reaction score
Nice. I only did my lic trying to stretch that 375 I paid 😂 I still go back here and there for work in ca if they need extra help was there 2 weeks ago since one was on vacation for a week. Then 3 off. 😁
They raise there prices also? Have Westcoast coming out tomorrow for a hotmop. $460 used to be 250-300.

dribble

Reaction score
The smog abatement fee is a charge made for gasoline powered vehicles that are exempt from inspections for the first six years. This is an annual fee of $12.00 as part of the vehicle registration renewal fee. Since diesels have no such exemption, there is no smog abatement fee and there certainly is no choice to pay the state $12.00 to avoid a 40-80 dollar smog test that also has a certificate fee. The EPA would absolutely not allow this. The reason why gasoline vehicles are exempt in the first six years is because the failure rate in miniscule. The reason why diesels are not was pointed out above. Roadside inspection data showed a high level of tampering on newer diesel pickups.

(4) Fees collected by the department pursuant to this subdivision shall be deposited in the Vehicle Inspection and Repair Fund.  It is the intent of the Legislature that a prudent surplus be maintained in the Vehicle Inspection and Repair Fund.
(d)(1)(A) Motor vehicles exempted under paragraph (4) of subdivision (a) of Section 44011 that are six or less model-years old shall be subject to an annual smog abatement fee of twelve dollars ($12).
(B) Motor vehicles exempted under paragraph (4) of subdivision (a) of Section 44011 that are seven or eight model-years old shall be subject to an annual smog abatement fee of twenty-five dollars ($25).
(C) The department may also, by regulation, subject motor vehicles that are exempted under paragraph (5) of subdivision (a) of Section 44011 to the twelve dollar ($12) annual smog abatement fee.  Payment of the annual smog abatement fee shall be made to the Department of Motor Vehicles at the time of registration of the motor vehicle.

77charger

Reaction score
They raise there prices also? Have Westcoast coming out tomorrow for a hotmop. $460 used to be 250-300.
There standard price is 375 for the past year plus 50 for a seat.Im surprised other companies are charging what they do material prices and other cost have gone up alot in the past few years.We havent been at 250-300 in years sure it cost us some business but we also didnt have to make it up in volume and with the amount of moppers out now its harder to do.We had the right insurance for what we do it aint cheap others try and cheat it by trying to re class their trade etc to save.

X Hoser

Reaction score
The smog abatement fee is a charge made for gasoline powered vehicles that are exempt from inspections for the first six years. This is an annual fee of $12.00 as part of the vehicle registration renewal fee. Since diesels have no such exemption, there is no smog abatement fee and there certainly is no choice to pay the state $12.00 to avoid a 40-80 dollar smog test that also has a certificate fee. The EPA would absolutely not allow this. The reason why gasoline vehicles are exempt in the first six years is because the failure rate in miniscule. The reason why diesels are not was pointed out above. Roadside inspection data showed a high level of tampering on newer diesel pickups.

(4) Fees collected by the department pursuant to this subdivision shall be deposited in the Vehicle Inspection and Repair Fund.  It is the intent of the Legislature that a prudent surplus be maintained in the Vehicle Inspection and Repair Fund.
(d)(1)(A) Motor vehicles exempted under paragraph (4) of subdivision (a) of Section 44011 that are six or less model-years old shall be subject to an annual smog abatement fee of twelve dollars ($12).
(B) Motor vehicles exempted under paragraph (4) of subdivision (a) of Section 44011 that are seven or eight model-years old shall be subject to an annual smog abatement fee of twenty-five dollars ($25).
(C) The department may also, by regulation, subject motor vehicles that are exempted under paragraph (5) of subdivision (a) of Section 44011 to the twelve dollar ($12) annual smog abatement fee.  Payment of the annual smog abatement fee shall be made to the Department of Motor Vehicles at the time of registration of the motor vehicle.
As I think back you are most likely correct. I had also bought a new Suburban and that is where the offer to pay probably was. Still thought it was BS as if they rarely fail, and do not require a check, why charge? I thought of it as a total Money Grab. Thanks for setting the record straight.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The unelected Mary Nichols and her minions at CARB have made it abundantly clear that they don’t want diesels in “their state”.

Like most Dem policies, they tax the shit out of the things they’re unable to outright ban.

And once they do get them banned, they’ll tax the shit out of something else to makeup for the lost revenue.

Edit: typo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EBT531

Reaction score
AZ made me test my diesel pusher every year. Was a waste of time but whatever makes them happy. I'm just glad I don't have to smog the quads anymore, that was a complete joke.

dribble

Reaction score
AZ made me test my diesel pusher every year. Was a waste of time but whatever makes them happy. I'm just glad I don't have to smog the quads anymore, that was a complete joke.

In CA it's every other year and your diesel pusher would be exempt from testing anyway due to the GVWR. Smogging quads? That's never even been discussed in CA.

EBT531

Reaction score
In CA it's every other year and your diesel pusher would be exempt from testing anyway due to the GVWR. Smogging quads? That's never even been discussed in CA.

Back around 2010 it was thing. All motorcycles and since quads had MC plates, they had to smog. Was just a money grab

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
This is dead right. For clarity, I have been in the diesel engine business for 40+ years. All I have really ever done. They are beautiful machines. OEM cheating, smog delete, and rolling coal will kill them.
Well, if they could make the emissions systems not fail as often as they do sending them into limp mode there wouldn’t be a reason to delete them. My truck has been deleted for 150,000 miles and has not failed or left me stranded since I did that. Stupid frequent regens and failing DEF sensors causing the speed to be limited to 12 mph. Luckily it never happened to me far from home. Mileage picked up and I gained 150 horsepower in the process.

Hallett285

Reaction score
Well, if they could make the emissions systems not fail as often as they do sending them into limp mode there wouldn’t be a reason to delete them. My truck has been deleted for 150,000 miles and has not failed or left me stranded since I did that. Stupid frequent regens and failing DEF sensors causing the speed to be limited to 12 mph. Luckily it never happened to me far from home. Mileage picked up and I gained 150 horsepower in the process.
What year and model truck you have?

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
You make a good point. OEMs have to build them reliably. But that's kind of a different topic, and applies to all technology. I guarantee there is a small (or big) group at AQMD, CARB, EPA etc. studying what the actual emissions are of diesels when you add back in those with non-operational systems. They study this kinda stuff all the time. Then they will apply new rules outright banning this and that and you will get a brand spanking new electric truck if they even allow that. They're gonna start regulating tire wear and brake dust and you'll just have to walk, so there's that.