WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I think its time to look for a new job....

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Just got passed over for a promotion.

I have been working out of class for years. With this change and the person who got it, there are no real opportunities in the foreseeable future in the program I am in. The struggle is that I am in a narrow field and there are not a lot of opportunities doing similar work. I have a broad range of skills but not enough specialization in any of them to land a good job. At mid career, I am not excited about having to effectively start over. The person who got the position would be easy to work for and I basically trained. We get along well but this will basically sunset my career.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I love what I do. I really do. Just the other day I was offered another job. I’d be leaving the union but I haven’t completely dismissed the idea yet either. I’d say I’m early mid career. Who knows what the future will bring

lbhsbz

Reaction score
It's a hard call to make...I left a place of 17 years that I was comfortable at, but didn't really ever see myself getting ahead at for what sounded like it be a decent opportunity to move up quite a bit....but there were a lot of unknowns. I ended up with 4 people "bosses" who couldn't really agree on what it was they wanted me to do, and it all fell apart within about 6 months. I was lucky enough to land back at my old place after being off for 4 months...but I'm not sure how permanent this will be as the place has been going through some reorganization and more changes are on the horizon. I'm not sure where to go next, but I need to start figuring it out.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
So you trained your new boss?

Ouch.

Start looking, you never know what you will find out there. Knowing how to do many things, vs specialization should make you more at the right place.

I don't give a shit how awesome of a fucking tire changer you are, if you can't do brakes, basic diagnosis, and electrical...you will always be worth less (for example in my field).

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score

I have been working out of class for years. With this change and the person who got it, there are no real opportunities in the foreseeable future in the program I am in. The struggle is that I am in a narrow field and there are not a lot of opportunities doing similar work. I have a broad range of skills but not enough specialization in any of them to land a good job. At mid career, I am not excited about having to effectively start over. The person who got the position would be easy to work for and I basically trained. We get along well but this will basically sunset my career.

From a cold read It sounds like you have not set structure for your professional growth. Work product is just the daily ins and outs but without setting structure for your growth you will never be able to influence control in your career. A good manager will help you set measurable goals and meet with you regularly to see how you are tracking and aid in giving guidance on how to correct course along the way. The problem is you won't always have a good manager.

You should start with understanding why you were not promoted. Your post doesn't give quite enough information to know if you are in a place to know why but you can simply ask your manager. This will create an opportunity for you to know where you stand, what your future could be and how you can do that. From that conversation take action by creating goals for yourself that your manager agrees that will allow you to advance (if that is an option). I'm not saying you can control every aspect of your career but you can definitely influence it. Doesn't matter where you go, you have to take ownership and not just expect to be recognized.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Long story short. About 2 years ago.
"I get to tell my new boss how to tell me how to do my job".

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
It took the union to get to that pay scale 20 years that is one of the reasons I left 12 years 10 at Forman pay

mbrown2

Reaction score
Start looking...mentally you are already questioning your commitment. At least you will be able to see what options there are. It will cause you brush up on skills that may be marketable in your field and that will only help you at your current job. I have been in your position and saw bosses change above me after being in a company for 17yrs...where prior I was the fast track person. I wondered why and figured I liked my job and they had golden handcuffs on me....eventually they packaged me out....I landed a job with a larger more profitable company in 2 months but took a bit of salary hit..which I expected. That said if I was already looking ahead of time I would not have had that salary hit...but also would have walked away from maturing options/shares, ect... If I was looking proactively that could have been a financial decision versus HAVING to find a job... I stayed at the new job for 5 years moved up and then someone came looking for me and gave me even a larger role at a new company... In 5 years it went from feeling like "did I hit my ceiling" to "ready to blast through some higher ceilings"...

cofooter

Reaction score
Whether you are serious or not, start sending out resumes and networking ASAP. You will discover a lot about the market and opportunities for your skillset / experience. You may come to find out you are fortunate where you are today because people are not hiring or are not hiring for your current salary. You may find out the exact opposite and confirm your belief that you are under employed and find a new opportuity. In either case, you will know and feel better about your situation.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Don’t short change the fact that you have a broad knowledge in a lot of things and aren’t specialized in one. It’s harder to find the the former as it means more experience. You can always train up to specialize in whatever the next thing will be. I dunno what industry you’re in but mine is a constantly moving target and knowing it all is 500x better than only knowing one thing. As long as you can get an interview to explain that to someone you can convince them you’re valuable than someone who just came out of a class and has little experience.

that being said... sometimes the grass isn’t greener on the other side. Don’t burn your bridges. You might need to come back someday.

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So what do you do? Might be somebody here that knows a guy that knows a guy that needs a guy.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Retirement is not over rated............. just saying:cool:

My wife is chomping at the bit for us to retire but I keep pulling the “prudent” card out.
We’re mid to late 50’s so for all intents and purposes we're a tad too young to “prudently” retire.
In two years I’ll be 58 with 33 years of state service.
Not gonna make bank but pretty decent all things considered.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
This happened to me several times. I kept trying - wrong! Either leave, or focus on quality of life ( read less work commitment, more personal joy). Staying will just make you mad, leading to abuse of things you shouldn’t abuse. I’m in my 60’s, been working straight for over 53 years - wish I would have taken my own advice 10-15 years earlier

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Good luck on your decision . I was at big union cabinet shop for 10 years and was told I was going to be the next forman . Well 2 years later the forman retires and I was passed up . The guy who got it was only a journeyman for 5 years and wasn't forman material . Myself and alot of the guys in the shop were pretty pissed because the guy couldn't do his job . I quit a year later and never looked back and the shop closed down 2 years after I quit . I now have 20 years in a better union with better pay and benefits . It will all work out no matter what you choose to do .

Last edited:

cxr

Reaction score
My wife is chomping at the bit for us to retire but I keep pulling the “prudent” card out.
We’re mid to late 50’s so for all intents and purposes we're a tad too young to “prudently” retire.

WHY the hell are you still working? lol whats your exit plane?

find the FIRE Forum..... read up retire and live your life.
i just turned 50 last october and fed up with my job and have been running retirement calculators. i think i can make it to 55, 58 if i had to... NO way to 62-65

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
WHY the hell are you still working? lol whats your exit plane?

find the FIRE Forum..... read up retire and live your life.
i just turned 50 last october and fed up with my job and have been running retirement calculators. i think i can make it to 55, 58 if i had to... NO way to 62-65
Our kid lives in New Hampshire. We’re going there.
I’m not looking forward to packing up almost 20 years of shit and our 3 dogs and 3 cats and driving a week in the motorhome to the east coast.
I know it's gonna happen just not looking forward to it.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Are you upset because you got passed for a promotion? If you have a good relationship with the person why don't you try it out? Is a future not foreseeable because the work the company performs is not related to your position? If you're not happy interview at other places while still working where you work. May make you enjoy what you have or you may find something better.

colenighthawk

Reaction score
Thats why you should open your own business, this time and age you never know what happens, every one is replaceable. Good luck

DWC

Reaction score
I’d have a serious conversation with your boss and his boss. Find out why you didn’t get the job. Not what their first answer is, but what’s the real reason. Decide if it’s something you can change or if it’s time to pull the cord.
Personally, I’d be pretty conservative the next 3-6 mos. No one knows what the immediate future looks like. Being out of a job in a mini-collapse would really suck. I’d rather swallow my pride than blow through savings.

Joker

Reaction score
I love what I do. I really do. Just the other day I was offered another job. I’d be leaving the union but I haven’t completely dismissed the idea yet either. I’d say I’m early mid career. Who knows what the future will bring
Vic, stay in the union.

84miller

Reaction score
First best never to discuss your feelings about being overlooked for a promotion at your workplace, it will make you look bad and legitimize to the management why you were overlooked. I taking that this just happened. So do nothing right now but ride it out, come to work in a good mood and be willing to do all you can do to make the company see your value. In a couple of months if you decide to move on, start making your exit plan by finding a replacement job. Again do not discuss or let anyone at work know you would be seeking alternative employment. This is all said because at the end of the day, your current management will be a reference in your job search.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I can only speak to my situation. I have looked for jobs, hired folks, etc

Having 2 kids heavy into sports, I let a few very high paying jobs pass because I wasnt willing to work 70 hours a week and miss all their stuff.

You need to ask yourself a few things. What do you need to make, what do you want to make and what is your freedom worth. My freedom is worth about 50k to 80k per year that I am giving up. But, I rarely miss games, events, etc with the family.

Its your call. Polish your resume and remember its easier to look for a job while you have a job. There is a lot of leverage if a possible employer knows you actually NEED this job.

floatn turd

Reaction score
So what do you do? Might be somebody here that knows a guy that knows a guy that needs a guy.

If you were asking me.

In a nut shell:
- I was an ATM Technician for years in the field.
- Then I went into the office to run the Techs / Bank Construction jobs.
- Now, I'm the "cash guy" that makes sure all the non Bank affiliated ATMs get money when they need it.
(I probably order over a million a day, with no place to input my damn routing number😉)
- Sprinkle in years of Boat and Motorcycle Sales throughout my life and sadly..............that sums up my nut shell.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
50k to 80k a year my kids wouldn’t be playing sports 😂😂 I work 60 hours a week anyways

CarolynandBob

Reaction score

I cannot stress this enough. RETIRE as soon as you are financially able. I went at 49. That was 3 months after our financial planner told us "as long as you don't do anything stupid you will never run out of money". This was based on keeping the standard of living we were currently living. We were above 200K a yr combined income. However, we were living below our means.

WYRD

Reaction score
50k to 80k a year my kids wouldn’t be playing sports 😂😂 I work 60 hours a week anyways
I'm amazed at what some incomes are in this state for what their job requirements are

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I found myself in the same situation youre in about a year ago. Long story short, the good ol boy club kept me from advancing into a much needed threshold. I was never going to get that management position regardless of my strong work ethic and drive to succeed. After this happened, i realized i had plateaued where i was at and didnt feel challenged anymore. Ultimately said fuck it and went back to school to start from scratch in a career i knew nothing of. Water Treatment and Distribution. I was suppose to test for my T2 this weekend and D2 a month out but CA (Newsom) canceled everything due to covid. The light at the end of the tunnel was so close yet so far lol

Anywho, what I’m trying to get at is, sometimes it takes shit like this to put things into perspective. I was always complacent and content where I was because I thought I had that management spot in the bag.....until I didn’t. I should’ve gone with my gut like I always do and checked out sooner than I did. Only you know where you’re at and where you need to be. Go with your gut.

Last edited:

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score

Is leaving the union like leaving the nest?

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

What are you waiting for?

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I found myself in the same situation youre in about a year ago. Long story short, the good ol boy club kept me from advancing into a much needed threshold. I was never going to get that management position regardless of my strong work ethic and drive to succeed. After this happened, i realized i had plateaued where i was at and didnt feel challenged anymore. Ultimately said fuck it and went back to school to start from scratch in a career i knew nothing of. Water Treatment and Distribution. I was suppose to test for my T2 this weekend and D2 a month out but CA (Newsom) canceled everything due to covid. The light at the end of the tunnel was so close yet so far lol
Good luck. I'm retired from water, you won't get rich, but a good and usually rewarding career.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Good luck. I'm retired from water, you won't get rich, but a good and usually rewarding career.
Thank you! Everything I’ve learned in school so far has been rewarding as is. I look forward to diving head first when the opportunity presents itself 🍻

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
A couple years ago I quit the company I worked for. This was after 10 years of being there. I hit the ceiling and could not advance any further. Couple that with taking away management so I could focus on a specialty I was good at I was unhappy with the company not wanting to grow as well which resulted in no more raises for my performance. I made the switch to a billion dollar company a year and half ago. After 9 months got let go. That was the best thing that happened. I connected with my boss at the billion dollar company and he moved on just before I got let go. I took a 30% pay increase and have a cushy manager job again. So I would say do it and it might not be the next thing that works but the one after that

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Is leaving the union like leaving the nest?
Not exactly. I’d give up my pension I’ve put 15 years into. I guess if the salary was high enough it wouldn’t matter. Politics aside I really do believe in the union. If for nothing more, safety.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I can relate to training your new Boss.
Our Squad stopped promoting from within a year after I got there.
I’ve trained the last 7 Sergeants and an LT on how not to get blown up, so they can tell me not to get blown up.
All good, I could always promote in another spot in the department, but I have too much fun as a tech to go anywhere else.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Hello all;

Sorry, I kind of checked out of the world last night.

So responding to a few of the replies:
I actually work as a scientist for the state. I have a masters in Pomology (Horticulture and Agronomy technically) and I specialized in plant water relations. Narrow field..... Working for the state, we are the ones providing estimates of ag water use throughout the state, we provide crop water use estimates free to both urban and ag. between this, the boat and a minor scuba addiction, you all should understand the screen name. I am a hardware guy by nature and run the entire hardware side for the statewide program. Given my background, I also understand the demand of the plants and way more biometeorology than I generally admit to. I am actually very skilled at what I do and many things related. I have almost 12 years with the state and if the right private opportunity came along I would hop that fence. In another few years, I will lose that ability due to the proximity of a retirement.

So, how this all went down with help of looking back and recognizing the pieces: 20 months ago the previous manager got promoted up one level. That meant his position, that led our small group was open. Everyone knew I was interested and the suspicion was that I would be the one to take it. I have always considered the previous manager a close work friend. I technically didn't work for him but was a key part of the group. What I didn't realize was that the delay in filling the position was actually intentional on his part. He spent the next year and a half grooming someone for the position. To the point of I was assigned high priority tasks that were huge and critical but not seen by anyone outside our immediate group. He was assigned multiple high visibility tasks that were designed to "stretch" him as a person into things he had no previous experience in and I was quite knowledgeable about already. An example of this is a consumptive use study of rice water. He was taken to all the high level meetings and stuck in an role as a technical expert of the project. He knew nothing about rice, nothing about the project, and little about the technology used to directly measure the ET of the fields. I co-ran the actual research project with a professor out of UC Davis. I designed and built the equipment used in the study and many others in other crops. This was the other half of my job and why I mentioned earlier about not directly reporting to him. The manager groomed this guy for 20 months and then wrote the questions in the interview to directly follow the grooming......

He was someone I considered a friend, I really expected better of him as a person. I did not expect him to intentionally tip the playing field. If the field had remained level, it would not bother me nearly as much to have lost out on the position.

farmo83

Reaction score
Don't overlook the value of change.

My old man worked for a company for 25 ish years and got passed over multiple times for promotion. At 50 he'd had enough and decided to jump ship to their biggest competitor and his career sky rocketed. A few years ago his original company hired him back many levels up from when he left.

As for myself in my last stop I worked at a very agressive trading shop. I was miserable and massively stressed. I ended up getting let go and found my way to Chevron which is fairly passive by comparison. My new job is so much easier due to what I learned in my time at the agressive shop (think of it as going from building motors for Alexi or Teague to doing tune ups at any boat repair place). Had I not suffered I would be in a much worse place now.

samsah33

Reaction score
Hello all;

I actually work as a scientist for the state. I have a masters in Pomology (Horticulture and Agronomy technically) and I specialized in plant water relations. Narrow field..... Working for the state, we are the ones providing estimates of ag water use throughout the state, we provide crop water use estimates free to both urban and ag. between this, the boat and a minor scuba addiction, you all should understand the screen name. I am a hardware guy by nature and run the entire hardware side for the statewide program. Given my background, I also understand the demand of the plants and way more biometeorology than I generally admit to. I am actually very skilled at what I do and many things related. I have almost 12 years with the state and if the right private opportunity came along I would hop that fence. In another few years, I will lose that ability due to the proximity of a retirement.

So, how this all went down with help of looking back and recognizing the pieces: 20 months ago the previous manager got promoted up one level. That meant his position, that led our small group was open. Everyone knew I was interested and the suspicion was that I would be the one to take it. I have always considered the previous manager a close work friend. I technically didn't work for him but was a key part of the group. What I didn't realize was that the delay in filling the position was actually intentional on his part. He spent the next year and a half grooming someone for the position. To the point of I was assigned high priority tasks that were huge and critical but not seen by anyone outside our immediate group. He was assigned multiple high visibility tasks that were designed to "stretch" him as a person into things he had no previous experience in and I was quite knowledgeable about already. An example of this is a consumptive use study of rice water. He was taken to all the high level meetings and stuck in an role as a technical expert of the project. He knew nothing about rice, nothing about the project, and little about the technology used to directly measure the ET of the fields. I co-ran the actual research project with a professor out of UC Davis. I designed and built the equipment used in the study and many others in other crops. This was the other half of my job and why I mentioned earlier about not directly reporting to him. The manager groomed this guy for 20 months and then wrote the questions in the interview to directly follow the grooming......

He was someone I considered a friend, I really expected better of him as a person. I did not expect him to intentionally tip the playing field. If the field had remained level, it would not bother me nearly as much to have lost out on the position.

Look into informational interviews. This is where you cold call (or get a referral to) someone (your target) in a company in your space that you're interested in learning more about.

Send the target (not HR!) your resume and ask them for their advice on their company (dont ask for a job), most will be happy to give it (case in point...!). At the end, ask them for a referral to someone else in their company so that you can "name drop" when you contact the next target at that company.

The target will likely pass your resume to HR since many companies pay referral bonuses if you're hired. HR usually gives higher consideration to internally referred candidates. You get to find out what the company is really like and you get to decide whether or not you want to work there. Win win win. And it works.

Many articles about this, here's a couple links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informational_interview
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jacque...-ace-an-informational-interview/#73af486b3acb
https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/informational-interviewing

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Look into informational interviews. This is where you cold call (or get a referral to) someone (your target) in a company in your space that you're interested in learning more about.

Send the target (not HR!) your resume and ask them for their advice on their company (dont ask for a job), most will be happy to give it (case in point...!). At the end, ask them for a referral to someone else in their company so that you can "name drop" when you contact the next target at that company.

The target will likely pass your resume to HR since many companies pay referral bonuses if you're hired. HR usually gives higher consideration to internally referred candidates. You get to find out what the company is really like and you get to decide whether or not you want to work there. Win win win. And it works.

Many articles about this, here's a couple links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informational_interview
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jacque...-ace-an-informational-interview/#73af486b3acb
https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/informational-interviewing

Interesting idea. I see potential in the private sector.

jones performance

Reaction score
Hello all;

noting sours a great employee faster than a bad manager.. sounds to me like your gonna be making a jump to somewhere else.