WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Opinions, considering twin 300xs as first OBs...

Carl P

Reaction score
Coming from a 25 Bullet w/a 525 to an F26 with Twin Merc 300xs. The Whackers are 2013 models and were freshly overhauled by Joe @ Hot Laps. Anything i need to watch out for on these motors? Is there a good resource i can use to learn all about em? Thanks!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Coming from a 25 Bullet w/a 525 to an F26 with Twin Merc 300xs. The Whackers are 2013 models and were freshly overhauled by Joe @ Hot Laps. Anything i need to watch out for on these motors? Is there a good resource i can use to learn all about em? Thanks!

your best resource is Joe

sonicss31

Reaction score
Ask if air compressors have been updated. Make sure fuel injection system has been cleaned/serviced.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Xs engines aren’t practically four strokes in my mind, no smoke, quiet, and sip fuel. Clean the injectors annually, lower unit oil every couple trips out and you will be fine. The c/r engine will cook the oil in one 110 mph run to the springs and back, so buy a 5 gallon tub of gear oil and change them often.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Be very careful about putting oil in the CR side. Mine hold almost exactly the same amount on each side, but the CR side will spit after 10 or so pumps. I let it spit, wait 10 minutes, pump until it spits again, wait 10 minutes, and repeat that process until its truly full. Once I did this, the CR side oil lasts MUCH longer and looks MUCH better than it used to.

As a side note- I speed this up by popping the expansion tank off under the cowl, pump till it squirts, put plug back in, give it another 10 pumps, then wait a few minutes. Can typically get it full in 20 minutes or so.

stoker2001

Reaction score
Be very careful about putting oil in the CR side. Mine hold almost exactly the same amount on each side, but the CR side will spit after 10 or so pumps. I let it spit, wait 10 minutes, pump until it spits again, wait 10 minutes, and repeat that process until its truly full. Once I did this, the CR side oil lasts MUCH longer and looks MUCH better than it used to.

As a side note- I speed this up by popping the expansion tank off under the cowl, pump till it squirts, put plug back in, give it another 10 pumps, then wait a few minutes. Can typically get it full in 20 minutes or so.
this expansion tank setup is OEM?aftermarket?who makes?thanks

NWFreerider

Reaction score
Get billet seal kits for the lower units from Mad EFI. I ran expansion tanks for a while on mine but had better luck keeping water out without them.

stoker2001

Reaction score
Get billet seal kits for the lower units from Mad EFI. I ran expansion tanks for a while on mine but had better luck keeping water out without them.
I noticed on MADEFI.com they no longer offer exp tanks..wonder if that's why?

NWFreerider

Reaction score
The Super Stock class was the test bed for their seal kits and the guys were having less issues without them. The vent tube was a pain in the ass to deal with when removing/reinstalling lower units too!