WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Getting out of CA...

530RL

Reaction score
For all those that are bailing, If anyone has a house in one of those fancy Newport islands for sale cheap PM me please.

The wife is tired of Coronado because it is full of Arizona people. 🤷🤷🤷

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Like to live in a state where I can look up pedophiles make sure my daughters are safe. Not a state where they legalize them...... if that makes this state ur happy place, plz stay where u are at!!!

What state would that be??? 🤔 :cool:

Taboma

Reaction score
Again u have it all backwards more like endless caravans are leaving their home lands headed straight for California !! Lmao!! Some truth to ur post they are life improving one Caravan at a time to Cali! I don’t see ur life improving their. Like to live in a state where I can look up pedophiles make sure my daughters are safe. Not a state where they legalize them...... if that makes this state ur happy place, plz stay where u are at!!!

It's not the state that makes it, it's where we live within the state and how you live within the state and we are in a wonderful place.

I wish you and your family well with your move. If I were young, with a family who wasn't as old if not older than most of you RDPers, I'm sure I'd be sharing more of your sentiment. My two kids and I have this discussion often, I truly do understand your position.
My life doesn't have to improve here, I had to suck it up as a kid when they tore down my beloved orange groves as far as the eyes could see and build tract homes for immigrants from all the other states.
The only reason my life improved over the years was marrying my wife, having an amazing job I loved, feeling good about what my wife and I accomplished and enjoying good health. I've watched California slowly go to shit since the early 60's, it's been a prolonged slow painful illness.

Taboma

Reaction score
For all those that are bailing, If anyone has a house in one of those fancy Newport islands for sale cheap PM me please.

Ahh hell, when we had our Sportsfisher up until 95', all our boat neighbors were friggin Zonies. 😖 The awesome part is, we could spend weekends on it all winter with no neighbors. 👍
Then wifey claimed since I was out with my buddies fishing all the time, we weren't doing things together and could we change it up. So sold the boat and bought the place at Havasu. Now that Havasu has changed into Havazoo, I'm back looking at sportsfishers again. I'm hoping there's going to be a Post Covid big boat sale, because right now that market is a sellers market with nothing but HUGE boats and shit boats for sale.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Fuck CA!!!

8EC8948D-AA2B-4AFA-818C-61B516743667.jpeg
32E66221-FA3F-40F5-A2C9-C3CE3FDCCD88.jpeg
D2CEE4F2-906D-4A94-B5C3-45A0E8216D70.jpeg
C58D6B34-1B60-4ADB-B1AE-0CA6794EE878.jpeg
4D5421B7-36C7-4589-8F61-2486AE27D9B8.jpeg
FA78B2C7-95C9-45FD-853E-6AF9A91E0A72.jpeg
F7898FF6-221C-4CAC-804F-32A78198A9F7.jpeg
C7553D35-F060-4D02-9496-BB40AFE09340.jpeg
9BC4C475-3D00-4EF2-BEF4-713A40F125D4.jpeg
8EC8948D-AA2B-4AFA-818C-61B516743667.jpeg

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
thats the tough question for me... both me and my wife are in jobs for 10+ years. we have kids that just started school. I'd like to do it before they start building relationships/friendships/commitments that will be hard for them to move away from.

those of you have that done it, what was the first step?
The wife and I left Riverside in '92 and have NEVER looked back. 25 years in Oregon and 5 here in Havasu now.

Hate to say it but you just have to have the BALLS to do it!!! We left great jobs, liked the people, great pay but just got sick of it and that was back in 90-92. Taking 3 hours to get home from Garden Grove on a Friday night wore my wife out and she began to take Fridays off with vacation days or sick days.

I cried the first paycheck I got up there but after the initial shock we understood why we did it. 25 years later we were sitting fat and sassy in Havasu.

Taboma

Reaction score
I believe it was stated one night last week on Tucker's show.
That's not a new trend, generations of those folks have been winter and summer swapping between those states forever. Had a best buddy who's family had a home way out on Long Island sound, spent their summers there and winters in Del Ray Beach Florida, that was in the 60's. My buddy's older brother was a licensed boat skipper and made bank running yachts back and forth seasonally.

My # 1 news source is RDP and other than that, the evening weather report. Who's Tucker ? 😁 There's plenty of wingnuts here, I don't need anymore, or should I say, I can't take anymore. 🤯 😂

WYRD

Reaction score
One of our kids needed a port installed for his cancer treatment.
The hospital's surgeon (not the one my wife works at nor is affiliated) did 6 of them in kids that day.
It's flexible, thin glass tubing that runs from the shoulder to the stomach and manifolds out in spots on the body.

Made out of glass and the installing doctor had no experience and no clue what she was doing.
They shattered inside the kids.
All the kids have these glass shards that can't be easily removed by surgery. Pain and agony, numbing and damaging.

The hospital running scared, gave the kids Carte Blanche on all kinda pain killers relaxers, nerve numbing agents,, endless crap.
Kids got addicted.

Son was driving and got rolled. The Leos opened his truck filled with coffee cans of you name the drug. All legally obtained but not legal to own in those vast amounts.

Yeah lots more to the story and lots more blame to spread around.

I mentioned how opiate addiction ruined our son and I lost friends in here from that post.

In Nevada it would hall have been swept away and dismissed. Not in Cali.
It's a cross I'm still carrying.
You and me really need to sit down and have a beer one day

AJ Hoffman

Reaction score
thats the tough question for me... both me and my wife are in jobs for 10+ years. we have kids that just started school. I'd like to do it before they start building relationships/friendships/commitments that will be hard for them to move away from.

those of you have that done it, what was the first step?

Honestly the first step just to find a place u want to raise ur family. Then tear the band aid off an list ur home. I have a 3 yr old an one due first week of January. They have been the motivation an reasoning behind it. That said it took us last 3 -4 yrs to tear off said band aid. But really the last 6-8 months where we realized we have to get out NOW!! To protect my family an values. Might be the biggest/ best decision I will make in my life time. No better time than now...

AJ Hoffman

Reaction score
A
It's not the state that makes it, it's where we live within the state and how you live within the state and we are in a wonderful place.

I wish you and your family well with your move. If I were young, with a family who wasn't as old if not older than most of you RDPers, I'm sure I'd be sharing more of your sentiment. My two kids and I have this discussion often, I truly do understand your position.
My life doesn't have to improve here, I had to suck it up as a kid when they tore down my beloved orange groves as far as the eyes could see and build tract homes for immigrants from all the other states.
The only reason my life improved over the years was marrying my wife, having an amazing job I loved, feeling good about what my wife and I accomplished and enjoying good health. I've watched California slowly go to shit since the early 60's, it's been a prolonged slow painful illness.

All in all I really do wish u an yours the best an for everyone else too. May God bless everyone in these trying times!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Ahh hell, when we had our Sportsfisher up until 95', all our boat neighbors were friggin Zonies. 😖

Never heard the term "Zonies" so I looked it up. 😁

Zonies.

They’re Heeeeere……

You San Diegans know the drill. Sometime around Easter all those Zonies who moved from Duluth to Phoenix in January saying, “My how wonderfully temperate it is here during the winter!” begin to remember that, come summer, the surface temperature of Arizona approximates that of Venus. (I swear I’ve seen a Saab melt into a puddle of Swedish goo on a Scottsdale street in August.) So the migrant retired workers spend the next two months lubing and tuning their Winnebagos and lining up on the border at Yuma. Then, on Memorial Day, the Governor of Arizona a fires a gun (of course with all of Arizona’s open carry laws there’s no real need to wait until Memorial Day but tradition is tradition) and the invasion of the Zonies begins.

And pacific life as we Southern Californians know it ends until Labor Day. Some years Thanksgiving.

There they are, the Zonies, parking their RVs down at Mission Bay across the heads-in spaces, taking up twenty spots each , setting up awnings and habachis and laying claim for the summer because they’re retired anyway. As a result the closest any San Diegan will get to park to Mission Bay is La Mesa.

There they are, the Zonies, driving four vintage RVs side by side down the I-15 at precisely fifty-two miles per hour, causing twenty-mile traffic jams. I think Zonieland has a contest every year to see which Zonie can cause the biggest backup on a San Diego freeway. The winner gets free cortisone shots for a year. That’s why Zonie RVs have those cameras on the back: to count the number of cars stacked up behind them. And have you ever passed a Zonie RV? It’s terrifying. All you ever see is a tuft of white hair atop a captain’s chair and two, liver-spotted hands on the steering wheel.

AJ Hoffman

Reaction score

Zonies.

They’re Heeeeere……

You San Diegans know the drill. Sometime around Easter all those Zonies who moved from Duluth to Phoenix in January saying, “My how wonderfully temperate it is here during the winter!” begin to remember that, come summer, the surface temperature of Arizona approximates that of Venus. (I swear I’ve seen a Saab melt into a puddle of Swedish goo on a Scottsdale street in August.) So the migrant retired workers spend the next two months lubing and tuning their Winnebagos and lining up on the border at Yuma. Then, on Memorial Day, the Governor of Arizona a fires a gun (of course with all of Arizona’s open carry laws there’s no real need to wait until Memorial Day but tradition is tradition) and the invasion of the Zonies begins.

And pacific life as we Southern Californians know it ends until Labor Day. Some years Thanksgiving.

There they are, the Zonies, parking their RVs down at Mission Bay across the heads-in spaces, taking up twenty spots each , setting up awnings and habachis and laying claim for the summer because they’re retired anyway. As a result the closest any San Diegan will get to park to Mission Bay is La Mesa.

There they are, the Zonies, driving four vintage RVs side by side down the I-15 at precisely fifty-two miles per hour, causing twenty-mile traffic jams. I think Zonieland has a contest every year to see which Zonie can cause the biggest backup on a San Diego freeway. The winner gets free cortisone shots for a year. That’s why Zonie RVs have those cameras on the back: to count the number of cars stacked up behind them. And have you ever passed a Zonie RV? It’s terrifying. All you ever see is a tuft of white hair atop a captain’s chair and two, liver-spotted hands on the steering wheel.

That’s soo funny yet soo true!

RodnJen

Reaction score
Honestly the first step just to find a place u want to raise ur family. Then tear the band aid off an list ur home. I have a 3 yr old an one due first week of January. They have been the motivation an reasoning behind it. That said it took us last 3 -4 yrs to tear off said band aid. But really the last 6-8 months where we realized we have to get out NOW!! To protect my family an values. Might be the biggest/ best decision I will make in my life time. No better time than now...

Congrats on the move. I do have to ask, just how would staying put your values at risk?

530RL

Reaction score

Zonies.

They’re Heeeeere……

The Californians love our money but hate us.

Sort of like the Cher song about Gypsies Tramps and thief’s. :)

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
You know everyone thinks that Lake Havasu is stupid hot and it is but only for 3months out of the year. The rest of the time it pretty much parallels So Cal within a few degrees. For those that haven’t escaped Cali yet I feel sorry for you since Az is now closed

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Zonies.

They’re Heeeeere……

Careful that might get your Parkabilly credentials revoked.😂

4Waters

Reaction score
You know everyone thinks that Lake Havasu is stupid hot and it is but only for 3months out of the year. The rest of the time it pretty much parallels So Cal within a few degrees. For those that haven’t escaped Cali yet I feel sorry for you since Az is now closed
You forgot about the Havasu wind in the the winter

boatdoc55

Reaction score
Lol sounds exactly how people from AZ feel about us from CA on the weekends 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't give a rat's ass if you're here on the weekends just leave us the frick alone Sunday afternoon till Thursday at sundown!!! Thanks

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I actually know of one if you are interested

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Hardest part about leaving the state was/is missing the friends that we accumulated over 30 yrs of living in San Diego. For those that like CA, stay and enjoy. Those that don't, try to find your paradise. We liked TN the best of those that we looked at. It is just freer or at least feels that way. I think I said it here before, but there is a restaurant here that never stopped serving people during the shut down. Never limited capacity. Just like now with the mask "mandate". By my guess about 20% are following it and they appear to be elderly. Just don't see any of that happening in CA.

On a side note.

I built a 30x40 shop. Did all the research and "no permit needed". Property tax on my 1600 sqft house, built new in 2019 is $1273.00. No income tax. Sales tax is about the same as CA at 9.75%.

Since this is a boating site. We boated all summer and saw a police boat 1 time. That was 4th July weekend.

Taboma

Reaction score
Lol sounds exactly how people from AZ feel about us from CA on the weekends 🤣

Or the Havasupians love, hate relationship with the seasonal snowbird migration. 😁

hallett21

Reaction score
I don't give a rat's ass if you're here on the weekends just leave us the frick alone Sunday afternoon till Thursday at sundown!!! Thanks

Having a house there we prefer the Sunday till Thursday when work allows lol

jailbird141

Reaction score
Something to think about that was mentioned earlier … exit tax. If you don't pay attention to what the slimey politicians are doing in Sacramento, you should start. Something they have tried a few times to get on the ballot and approved is taxing your retirement. If you worked and earned a retirement in California and leave the state, California wants to be able to tax that retirement regardless of what state you live in. They have tried a couple times to get it passed and failed, but it is something everyone should be watching for. Just my .02 ….. I love what California has to offer, the deserts, beaches, mountains, etc., but the management is ruining this place and I don't see it getting any better.

4czn10

Reaction score
Hardest part about leaving the state was/is missing the friends that we accumulated over 30 yrs of living in San Diego. For those that like CA, stay and enjoy. Those that don't, try to find your paradise. We liked TN the best of those that we looked at. It is just freer or at least feels that way. I think I said it here before, but there is a restaurant here that never stopped serving people during the shut down. Never limited capacity. Just like now with the mask "mandate". By my guess about 20% are following it and they appear to be elderly. Just don't see any of that happening in CA.

On a side note.

I built a 30x40 shop. Did all the research and "no permit needed". Property tax on my 1600 sqft house, built new in 2019 is $1273.00. No income tax. Sales tax is about the same as CA at 9.75%.

Since this is a boating site. We boated all summer and saw a police boat 1 time. That was 4th July weekend.
C&B where in Tenn. do you boat? i live in Anderson SC., and was wondering about Tenn. Took my Ultra to get the topends freshened by Eddie Young in Mt. Julliet, and was amazed at how nice the town was!

boatdoc55

Reaction score
Or the Havasupians love, hate relationship with the seasonal snowbird migration. 😁
I don't mind the snowbirds at all. Just wish they would stay on their side of the road when traveling the 95. I've seen stuff that made my eye's as big as saucers!!!! :eek: :eek:

boatdoc55

Reaction score
That's not a new trend, generations of those folks have been winter and summer swapping between those states forever. Had a best buddy who's family had a home way out on Long Island sound, spent their summers there and winters in Del Ray Beach Florida, that was in the 60's. My buddy's older brother was a licensed boat skipper and made bank running yachts back and forth seasonally.

My # 1 news source is RDP and other than that, the evening weather report. Who's Tucker ? 😁 There's plenty of wingnuts here, I don't need anymore, or should I say, I can't take anymore. 🤯 😂
Tucker Carlson is without a doubt the best straight, no bullshit, host on TV!! He's on Fox in the evenings.. Flame suit on!!!

Taboma

Reaction score
I don't mind the snowbirds at all. Just wish they would stay on their side of the road when traveling the 95. I've seen stuff that made my eye's as big as saucers!!!! :eek: :eek:

"Get off my Road" 😂
Picky, Picky, just wait, your day will come and you too can experience the excitement of driving with cataracts in both eyes, from the driver's perspective :eek:

Taboma

Reaction score
Tucker Carlson is without a doubt the best straight, no bullshit, host on TV!! He's on Fox in the evenings.. Flame suit on!!!

Why ? You don't think at my age I don't have enough to be angry about ? I'm humming a mantra from dawn to dusk as it is for shit's sake. ;)
The rest of my days are spent adding names to my Bucket Hit List. 👍
No siree, I do not need more anger fuel, what I need is calming and soothing, like my time spent on RDP :rolleyes:

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Why ? You don't think at my age I don't have enough to be angry about ? I'm humming a mantra from dawn to dusk as it is for shit's sake. ;)
The rest of my days are spent adding names to my Bucket Hit List. 👍
No siree, I do not need more anger fuel, what I need is calming and soothing, like my time spent on RDP :rolleyes:

Have you tried a different strain of herb?

I heard it helps cataracts also. 😝

thetub

Reaction score
No matter where you go there are problems.

In November Arizona will most likely have the 9th highest income tax rate in the nation along with property tax rates almost double California's prop 13 limit.

Texas has no income tax but high property tax and the weather is worse in some parts than Arizona and I was born there. Tornadoes, tropical storms, and bugs that can carry you away.

Florida is.....well it is Florida and I think it took two Arizona summers to dry out from 6 summers in Florida when dad was stationed there.

So the grass is always greener, but there is no one place that is just perfect year round with respect to weather, people or taxes. I just hope enough people move out of Ca to lower the housing prices because sure as hell, the wife is going to want another summer house over there.......it does have good weather.......

530 the property tax statement Rod and you bring up is BS.

for the amount you pay in Kalifornikstan lets say $10,000 a year you can own a mansion in very very nice area in Texas and Arizona with acreage of land...

and for that same amount paid in PT you own a puny not so nice home in a not so nice area in Kalifornikstan...

and the only thing saving people in Kalifornikstan on older purchases is prop 13 which is alwasys on the chopping block and if Rod and his goons had their way it would be gone already...

the commercial protection of prop 13 is already on the chopping block this next election in November... and residential soon to follow..

Last edited:

dribble

Reaction score
Something to think about that was mentioned earlier … exit tax. If you don't pay attention to what the slimey politicians are doing in Sacramento, you should start. Something they have tried a few times to get on the ballot and approved is taxing your retirement. If you worked and earned a retirement in California and leave the state, California wants to be able to tax that retirement regardless of what state you live in. They have tried a couple times to get it passed and failed, but it is something everyone should be watching for. Just my .02 ….. I love what California has to offer, the deserts, beaches, mountains, etc., but the management is ruining this place and I don't see it getting any better.

They tried and failed because it’s not legal. They don’t tax Social Security income in CA either (which is legal and done in 13 other states).

Last edited:

thetub

Reaction score
They tried and failed because it’s not legal. They don’t tax Social Security income in CA either.

but they tried...

these are the insane things they think of to fleece you for money...

they are friggin mafia goons trying to shake anyone down for money...

dribble

Reaction score
but they tried...

these are the insane things they think of to fleece you for money...

they are friggin mafia goons trying to shake anyone down for money...

One third of my retirement income is Social Security. That is a huge tax savings to me compared to say Colorado or Utah.