WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for our first RV

hawgty55

Reaction score
One thing I notice in the super c class is they put the poorest quality interior in all if them. The pleather is always peeling.

That being said seems like I'm only intrested in the jayco with dual slides that carry 100gal of water. Some only carry 50

BAS

Reaction score
Not mine nor do I know anything about them.

Attachments

• 48CEA05F-2ACD-45A7-AA88-B2CD2365F219.png
    48CEA05F-2ACD-45A7-AA88-B2CD2365F219.png
    608 KB · Views: 147

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Look guys nobody likes going up the chain more than me, especially when it comes to OPM (other peoples money)

we have wanted a motorhome for a long time but frankly it’s a bit intimidating, and as well I have a hard time spending that kinda money for something that is literally going to be parked on the side of my house. More or less rotting in the desert.

I was thinking something kinda nice but not something that would break the bank.

Remember recently the guy that bought a DP for 37k put some Tommy Bahama shit in it and it was pretty bad ass?

Something like that with bunks and the overhead bunk over the cab would be perfect. Lol

we have now gone up to tag axle toterhomes that are 43’ long.. we gotta back off the sticks there.

realistically LOF isn’t that off the mark wkth a trailer. I can buy a WW open floor and get 28’ of cargo space for under 30k..

The main reason I don’t want to do that is we want to travel in this thing together maybe drive up the coast, try other parts of AZ / Utah etc.. leave the toys at home sometimes etc.
I don’t want to prep the trailer drive / unload the trailer, setup, etc.. just park it push the buttons and deal with the trailer in the am kinda deal.

I’m kinda back to the 60-80k Seneca deal and leaving it plugged into the side of the house with the AC’s set at 85 when not in use! Even that is rich for my cheap ass blood.. lol.
Like I said I’ll goto 110-120 if it’s something over the top, but it’s gotta be stupid nice for that kinda $$$.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
right? Fuck the budget.. fuck the bunks. Lol. Let’s buy a provost!
It was mentioned earlier but look at the transmission in the pusher as that really determines the GVWR and GCWR. I noticed to really tow something heavy it needs to be an Allison 3000 tranny or better

The tow capacity is the GCWR minus the loaded weight of the coach. It must be weighted. those pushers are heavy even before you put thousands of pounds of people, gear, beer, fuel and water.

Then there are axle ratings and tires but no time for that shit.

Some pushers have a GCWR of 33,000 lbs with an unloaded weight in the low 20 thousand #’s.. So by the time it’s loaded it can legally tow less than 10,000 lbs

If you go up market with larger motors and better tranny then the GCWR goes way up. Now it can really tow heavy.

If I had to do it over I would buy an Aria. (ISB with the 3500)

you definitely need to match trans to motor, keep in mind there are several "series" of allison MH (motorhome)
3000MH is good to 450/1250
4000MH is good to 650/1950

The 3500 is not available in the MH series it is in the RDS (rugged duty service) and is good to 330/860

hawgty55

Reaction score
This is the route I'm going to go. Going to talk to him should have my deal done today. It's not a bunk model but with two kids you throw him over the top cab and close the curtain to hide their crap

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Look guys nobody likes going up the chain more than me, especially when it comes to OPM (other peoples money)

we have wanted a motorhome for a long time but frankly it’s a bit intimidating, and as well I have a hard time spending that kinda money for something that is literally going to be parked on the side of my house. More or less rotting in the desert.

I was thinking something kinda nice but not something that would break the bank.

Remember recently the guy that bought a DP for 37k put some Tommy Bahama shit in it and it was pretty bad ass?

Something like that with bunks and the overhead bunk over the cab would be perfect. Lol

we have now gone up to tag axle toterhomes that are 43’ long.. we gotta back off the sticks there.

realistically LOF isn’t that off the mark wkth a trailer. I can buy a WW open floor and get 28’ of cargo space for under 30k..

The main reason I don’t want to do that is we want to travel in this thing together maybe drive up the coast, try other parts of AZ / Utah etc.. leave the toys at home sometimes etc.
I don’t want to prep the trailer drive / unload the trailer, setup, etc.. just park it push the buttons and deal with the trailer in the am kinda deal.

I’m kinda back to the 60-80k Seneca deal and leaving it plugged into the side of the house with the AC’s set at 85 when not in use! Even that is rich for my cheap ass blood.. lol.
Like I said I’ll goto 110-120 if it’s something over the top, but it’s gotta be stupid nice for that kinda $$$.
You cannot be surprised by this Dave. Lol!
Lol I’ve been following because I’m in the same boat. We left me pay grade like a page and a half ago [emoji23]
Same. But we left my possibility range on post #1 really. Lol!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

AzMandella

Reaction score
You cannot be surprised by this Dave. Lol!Same. But we left my possibility range on post #1 really. Lol!

We just bought a Entegra Odessey 25R (Jayco) . So far we love it . It has a 7500 lb Towing capacity but feel that at full weight pulling steep grades will be a little slow . BUt we only plan on pulling our v-drive and my wifes FJ Cruiser when not going on boating trips . We have taken it into the White Mountains by itself , which from Tucson has alot of steep grades and it did great . It drives just as easilly as my 99' F250 SD 4 X 4 . We bought it just before the RV buying frenzie started and they had it marked down to $ 67,000 . That included hydraulic leveling and a great outdoor kitchen . The upper bunk is huge . Also has the larger shower than most . And is on the E450 rather than the E350 most are built on . Although I see others are moving up to the E450 also .

Last edited:

Icky

Reaction score
I've been looking at these and a few others. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Dynamax-Corp-ISATA-5-SERIES-35DB-5013862817

Some will say they're under powered, but i look at the maintenance aspect since I know people that work for Dodge. Still more money then I want to spend.

Looked at new toyhaulers to replace my current one, but I you're still confined to a seat in the truck. At least with the motorhome people can move around, make me a sandwich etc while driving.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I've been looking at these and a few others. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Dynamax-Corp-ISATA-5-SERIES-35DB-5013862817

Some will say they're under powered, but i look at the maintenance aspect since I know people that work for Dodge. Still more money then I want to spend.

Looked at new toyhaulers to replace my current one, but I you're still confined to a seat in the truck. At least with the motorhome people can move around, make me a sandwich etc while driving.
At least it's a newer truck engine. I believe those were rated for something like 900iah ft. lbs. That should get that big girl movin!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
well well welll, it coming down to straight hey-lam, not practical or useful....HEY-LAM...
the little rv I post' would work great in every situation,... but hey lam.. when my kids were young, we never travel in a car,..always the 22' rv... but here's the deal...we drove that RV every week, soccer .trips to mead with the boat,camping at the dunes and forest, for me,.. it was my dually,my suburban, my beach condo and cabin in the woods.. pulled my 12k race car trailer, my 272 baja...it had the over head bunk, (SUE & I) , the dinette,13year old son, and the 2younsters in the jack sofa, we did many a trips to the beach, lots of boon docking, dune trips.. put 100k miles on it.. like sais it got used...I collected street rods, and it was my tow rig for my low boy trailer...spent many of nights at the pomona swap meet parked by the back gate...

but like said, it got used often,,,, as years went, we creeped up to long and bigger, coach sat more and more, no longer used for short trips, found my self crashed out at rest areas in the truck,... I've hated every minute of it... so much that now I have to have 2 rv's... if everybody has to have their own tv and room... stay home and save all the money for their collage fund..that I think is the new problem,.. familys don't inter act any more... everyone has their phone in their hands and has every one else on ignore...put in a movie and make some popcorn and watch it together...

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
You should wait a bit... I’m sure when the Stimulus/PPP money dries up, their will be some great deals on RV’S .

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
We just bought a Entegra Odessey 25R (Jayco) . So far we love it . It has a 15,000 lb Towing capacity but feel that at full weight pulling steep grades will be a little slow . BUt we only plan on pulling our v-drive and my wifes FJ Cruiser when not going on boating trips . We have taken it into the White Mountains by itself , which from Tucson has alot of steep grades and it did great . It drives just as easilly as my 99' F250 SD 4 X 4 . We bought it just before the RV buying frenzie started and they had it marked down to $ 67,000 . That included hydraulic leveling and a great outdoor kitchen . The upper bunk is huge . Also has the larger shower than most . And is on the E450 rather than the E350 most are built on . Although I see others are moving up to the E450 also .
ok, I'll argue with you,, that coach doesnot even come close to a 15k tow capacity... it has a 14,500 gvw...so you are say'n it has a gccr of 30,000 lbs?????,puff puff give...

one must always consider that some might believe what is post on RDP...

although,...
I'm gonna guess, that coach weighs about 13k wet,...that means you can load 1500lbs of people and gear, that puts you at 14,500,... the max rating...
now, it has a 22,000 gross combind carrying capacity, that means it's rated to tow 7000 lbs...at 22,000, they do it, and with the 300hp v-10... they stuggle and scream up hills in 3rd and some time 2nd,...but that said, the new v8 with about15 % more hp and tq will really help

also, thats a 29' coach with 181 wheel base...BIG!!

Last edited:

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I'll chime in here, a few months ago we took the plunge and grabbed a forest river FR3 30DS. FR3 is forest river's entry level brand. It is a 30' class A with a drop down bunk, a hide-a-bed couch, fold out dinette, and a king bed. They do have a floorplan that has bunks in the back as well.

The kicker with these is twofold for you, one they are the entry level brand of an entry level manufacturer, the quality isn't great. The pleather on the captains chairs is already peeling and I already had to replace the toilet flange. The other thing you will struggle with these is the towing capacity, rated for 5K from the factory. With my 16' flat bed and XX (probably total of about 3700) going from Mesa up to Payson some of the hills were 42 with the hazards on. Family friend has the one with the bunk beds with an X3 maxx in a 16' enclosed and he is usually in the mid-30's up a grade.

For what we were looking for, it is the perfect setup. We are not looking for any quality contests or towing anything massive right now, I will probably have this for ~10 years until the family outgrows it, then I will be looking to a used showhauler type setup.

1600782022055.png

1600782042669.png

AzMandella

Reaction score
ok, I'll argue with you,, that coach doesnot even come close to a 15k tow capacity... it has a 14,500 gvw...so you are say'n it has a gccr of 30,000 lbs?????,puff puff give...

one must always consider that some might believe what is post on RDP...

although,...
I'm gonna guess, that coach weighs about 13k wet,...that means you can load 1500lbs of people and gear, that puts you at 14,500,... the max rating...
now, it has a 22,000 gross combind carrying capacity, that means it's rated to tow 7000 lbs...at 22,000, they do it, and with the 300hp v-10... they stuggle and scream up hills in 3rd and some time 2nd,...but that said, the new v8 with about15 % more hp and tq will really help
Sorry I'm not sure where I got that . It is 7500 lb towing capacity . that's why I said I was only pulling the v-drive or the FJ Cruiser . I did pull a trailer with a Polaris and quad for my friend so he didn't have to tandem with his goosekneck . It also had extra water jugs 100 gal and some other stuff and it did pretty well on the hills .

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Sorry I'm not sure where I got that . It is 7500 lb towing capacity . that's why I said I was only pulling the v-drive or the FJ Cruiser . I did pull a trailer with a Polaris and quad for my friend so he didn't have to tandem with his goosekneck . It also had extra water jugs 100 gal and some other stuff and it did pretty well on the hills .

Are you planning on flat towing the FJ? I was under the impression they needed a drive shaft disconnect, but have also heard of some people just sending it and towing it anyways without issues.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
thanks for clarifying.... I was like...what???? any way,.. how you liking the new v8???? I've heard they have inherited the old chevy 454 problems with super hot manifolds and burning plug wires,... I was thinking that you could put boots on the wires like the old days

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I'll chime in here, a few months ago we took the plunge and grabbed a forest river FR3 30DS. FR3 is forest river's entry level brand. It is a 30' class A with a drop down bunk, a hide-a-bed couch, fold out dinette, and a king bed. They do have a floorplan that has bunks in the back as well.

The kicker with these is twofold for you, one they are the entry level brand of an entry level manufacturer, the quality isn't great. The pleather on the captains chairs is already peeling and I already had to replace the toilet flange. The other thing you will struggle with these is the towing capacity, rated for 5K from the factory. With my 16' flat bed and XX (probably total of about 3700) going from Mesa up to Payson some of the hills were 42 with the hazards on. Family friend has the one with the bunk beds with an X3 maxx in a 16' enclosed and he is usually in the mid-30's up a grade.

For what we were looking for, it is the perfect setup. We are not looking for any quality contests or towing anything massive right now, I will probably have this for ~10 years until the family outgrows it, then I will be looking to a used showhauler type setup.

View attachment 924782

View attachment 924783
i've own 3 of those...the other thing they do is the wall covering peels...the king bed, I put another layer of plywood on it, they start sagging...changed out the sofa for a dual recliner... I also cut 3/8'' plywood and put on the bottom of all the drawers,.. my wife loads them like they are snap-on tool boxes..

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

AzMandella

Reaction score
Are you planning on flat towing the FJ? I was under the impression they needed a drive shaft disconnect, but have also heard of some people just sending it and towing it anyways without issues.
I have not heard that as i have not really looked into getting it set up for towing .

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
being Dave asked, I give the input,...what would I do if I was dave kinda eplies,... not ment as a dig to what others already have...
first thing I would do is get rid of the dually for a small class c rv.. i have friends w/ a dp that go out for 3/4 weeks at a time traveling... once a year,...
i also have friends with small class c rv...they use them weekly, a small rv is a dually, and a dually with the biggest camper you can buy...

Singleton

Reaction score
focus on function over looks. Don‘t worry what is look like outside and inside. That can all be updated (just a few weekend projects). if the mechanical items are good, then good to go.

No one cares what it looks like and if you like the RV trips, you will end up upgrading in 4-6 years.

rush1

Reaction score

Knowing your knack for not keeping stuff to long try renting one first,yes I know it's expensive to rent but see if the juice is worth the squeeze

Taboma

Reaction score
Knowing your knack for not keeping stuff to long try renting one first,yes I know it's expensive to rent but see if the juice is worth the squeeze

Do these rental places allow you to tow ? Any recommended rental places ?

Meaney77

Reaction score
So this thing is a little pricey but it checks all the boxes?
not sure about the windows / door with the blinds I’m the bathroom?

Good Looking set up, one thing to consider with some of these older rigs to is ceiling height. I could be totally wrong but I think this might have a lower ceiling. Not a deal breaker but something to also keep in mind.

Taboma

Reaction score
Rental places not so much but many private rentals allow towing.

Main desire to go RVing would be to travel with the SxS or Raptor in tow for exploring. I figured renting would provide some insight towards a later purchase if we enjoyed it.

rush1

Reaction score

fmo24

Reaction score
Places like El Monte rv normally do not allow towing. There are private rentals (not sure of names or groups) that towing is allowed. Others can make recommendations of places to rent

RCDave

Reaction score

I hear you! Its challenging just to find an RV one likes. The primary issue for you is the need to two 15K lbs. Few rigs can reasonably handle this type of towed load....

fmo24

Reaction score
I have to figure out a new retirement dream.

You bastards have talked me out of rv’ing.
LOL we have been full time going into our 3rd year and love it. This year was kind of jacked up so we just bounced around Florida rather than travel in the northern states. Will winter down here then hope everything is open in the spring summer of 21 so we can get back on the road. It really is an awesome lifestyle

Singleton

Reaction score
I hear you! Its challenging just to find an RV one likes. The primary issue for you is the need to two 15K lbs. Few rigs can reasonably handle this type of towed load....

He will not find everything he wants in this budget

Bunkhouse plus 15k towing capacity = SuperC or Toterhome.

squeezer

Reaction score
He will not find everything he wants in this budget

Bunkhouse plus 15k towing capacity = SuperC or Toterhome.

Exactly...

Buy an older high end DP and build the bunks. Only way to get even close to what he wants.

If I was going this route again the candidate would have a mid entry. makes it very easy to add bunk(s) over the dash

Badchoices03

Reaction score

I am fairly new to RDP and I even I knew exactly where this thread was going to go, just like all of them go....LOL

EBT531

Reaction score
You say it will sit next to the house and most trips will be close to home. I'd really consider the trailer option. Remember whether you use the RV or not, the maintenance $$ is still required. Oil changes, filters, tires, batteries etc. all go by age more than use. You already have a huge truck you have to maintain, a trailer seems like a better idea.

Ladsm

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a late Model Allegro Class A bunkhouse with the newer V-10/6 speed trans thats at Pirates den till October then hitting the for sale market. I told him to hit you up on FB. @RiverDave

Last edited:

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
With a nice 5th wheel, you can park it, unhitch and have a vehicle to go sightseeing, etc...etc.
Just a thought.

fmo24

Reaction score
Only problem with a trailer is garage space. He has a four seat sxs and his kids razor