WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

If you were to buy a SXS today. What would you do?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
We will probably be looking for a 2 seat SXS soon. Mostly used for local stuff around Havasu.

Wait for the Speed? When would it even get here if you ordered one soon?

Get a new can am? Is it worth it to get a '21 with smartshox? What other upgrades are a must?

I would like to keep a reasonable budget.

Seems like the machines that are lightly used are as much as new right now.

PlanB

Reaction score
Two seaters are in stock, it's the 4 seaters that are harder to find. I was deciding between the 20's and the 21's when we were looking, and the Smart Shox was not enough for me to wait (I still don't think they are being delivered yet).

Here is a good video that covers what you want to do on an X3. They also have a video that covers Polaris as well.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I got a 2 seat RZR for sale, its the add on's that add up pretty quick, just to do shocks and a cage is over 5k.

DWC

Reaction score
We will probably be looking for a 2 seat SXS soon. Mostly used for local stuff around Havasu.

Get a new can am? Is it worth it to get a '21 with smartshox? What other upgrades are a must?

I’d buy a used one with not a ton of miles and has the right upgrades. Two way radio/radio are a must. On the Can Am- Radius rods, a-arms and gusset kit if you’re going to drive it hard. Cage if you plan on really going hard. New safety harnesses also...
The new Speed machine looks like it’ll be a beast. I’d let them work out the kinks. Just my .02cents

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Buy a good used one with most of this things you want on it. Run it and decide what you really want, or keep it and be happy.

I think the Cam Am 2 seater is probably the best 2 seater wheelbase for Havasu aside from the Speed car. But Can Am needs the most upgrades to be durable over time.

You can't go wrong with a 64" RZR XP, 1000 or Turbo. 2 seater is good but the wheelbase is short for chop and whoops. The 4 seater is not too long, and can be converted to a 2 seater with plenty of rear storage, which most SXS lack. The XP RZRs need a few mods to be durable, parts are super cheap. Shock and spring work is highly recommended for the XP cars, it wakes them up and they handle and work well after that.

A RZR Turbo S or Pro XP are pretty solid out of the box for the most part. They probably need the least in durability mods.

Speed is a wildcard. It will likely need the least in mods, is cheap relative to what you get for the price, but it is all new. Who knows what dumb teething problems it may have.

If you were looking to buy soon, I'd get something that is already out there.

If you really want a Speed car before Feb-March, you are looking at buying someones reservation, or paying a huge markup at a dealer.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I would roll the dice on the new speed machines or get the can am.

satellitemike

Reaction score
After owning 2 Rangers and 2 RZR's I would say buy a clean used rig that has verified maintenance!
What I find funny is how everyone wants the baddest MOFO out there. These machines will kick your ass and get you into trouble in a blink of an eye, they have plenty of power and only seem to lack a little in the suspension for what it will be used for 95% of the time. The only time you need the extra HP is if you plan on running the majority of the time in the sand.
Look for a aftermarket cage, 4 point seat belts, and suspension upgrades, 2 way radios are a plus as well.

DLC

Reaction score
This is a loaded question... it all depends on what you want to do.
rzr is a short wheel base if your just poking around it’s a non issue. If you want to do some distance rides you won’t like the ride when it comes to bumps and whoops.

can am 2seat is the longest wheel base and rides nicely, but the storage sucks.

You could go with a rzr 4 seat and remove back seats and have a ton of storage and good ride.

really depends on what your looking to do with the car

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I would like to buy a 4 seat Polaris General xp1000, but not even close to thinking about the $30k price tag plus what I would spend on after market items for it.

Shortdeck

Reaction score
Just do what I did. Buy a SXS for 20k. Use it for 2 years. Then sell it for 20k and never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satellitemike

Reaction score
I would like to buy a 4 seat Polaris General xp1000, but not even close to thinking about the $30k price tag plus what I would spend on after market items for it.
Let me konw if you find a reasonable deal on one cuz thats what I have been eyeballing recently, replace cage, belts, and upgrade the suspension and it would work perfect for Havasu!

MeCasa16

Reaction score
rzr is a short wheel base if your just poking around it’s a non issue. If you want to do some distance rides you won’t like the ride when it comes to bumps and whoops.

You could go with a rzr 4 seat and remove back seats and have a ton of storage and good ride.

Well we would like to be able to take longer rides. A smoother ride is ideal, and probably the priority for her. I'd like to be able haul ass without Taco-ing the damn thing at the bottom of a dip.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score

this be true, I want to keep it simple these days. I am not playing in glamis anymore, just want to have power to tow jet skis and launch in dirt, drive and explore the desert and use it around town sometimes.

this is why I keep leaning on the General XP1000, it comes pretty well equipt, IMO I might call it a crossover between the ranger and the rzr. more sporty, has better suspension and seats than the ranger, already comes with full doors, more cupholders and better placement too, add a roof, maybe a winshield. A decent size bed for carrying beach chairs and coolers. price tag says, ouch tho!!! Cuz, I am gonna want to put set of methods and tensors on it... rugged comms... and rigid lights just to get started.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Well we would like to be able to take longer rides. A smoother ride is ideal, and probably the priority for her. I'd like to be able haul ass without Taco-ing the damn thing at the bottom of a dip.

Talk to @ DLC. He has a 4 seater Can Am converted to a 2 seater. His spare tire, parts some storage are where the back seat lived. It is a bad ass setup. You could easily replicate that in a 4 seat Polaris as well.

Reactions: DWC

JayBreww

Reaction score
this be true, I want to keep it simple these days. I am not playing in glamis anymore, just want to have power to tow jet skis and launch in dirt, drive and explore the desert and use it around town sometimes.

this is why I keep leaning on the General XP1000, it comes pretty well equipt, IMO I might call it a crossover between the ranger and the rzr. more sporty, has better suspension and seats than the ranger, already comes with full doors, more cupholders and better placement too, add a roof, maybe a winshield. A decent size bed for carrying beach chairs and coolers. price tag says, ouch tho!!! Cuz, I am gonna want to put set of methods and tensors on it... rugged comms... and riged lights just to get started.

So it’s the pontoon boat of SXS’s.. noted.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
You dont have to go crazy with the mods. 5 point harnesses, lights, a rugged or pci radios and you are good to go with polaris. As for can am. lots of weak links but once upgraded is a beast. Id watch the shock therapy videos and get all the info u need there. Those guys know whats up. Its not just shocks. They will tell you the polaris is the best out of the box. but if you know how to work on the car and do the right upgrades they would go can am all day. Their race vehicle is a canam.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Thoughts on the wildcat or YXZ ?
get the info from shock therapy......they do comparisons and they rank them.....great thing about shock therapy is even tho they race with can ams they work on all cars and they drive and test all cars. youtube the shock therapy channels. they do live feeds every week that are awesome!

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Take a look at the Wildcat XX or Tracker XTR1000 (Same car) they are built really well with double sheared suspension components, a true trailing arm rear suspension, stout stock cage, and bulletproof yamaha engine. In stock form they are very plush and can be had new for ~$18k ish.

Drawbacks to these are some known issues with the transaxle (supposed to be solved with the '20, I haven't had issues) and that parts availability through Arctic Cat is GARBAGE

Taboma

Reaction score

We really like our Wildcat XX, but we're not duners, wild and crazy kids, or part of the LAM crowd, it's basically stock with some comfy PSP seats and works just fine for our needs without wrapping up mega dollars.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Lets even throw the kawasaki into this conversation. I never hear anything about that. Anyone have any experience with that machine?

The Kawasaki is awesome, but slow. Like slower than every other NA 1000 car. It has a wet clutch, so if you are going to do a lot of rock crawling, it would be a good choice.

The XX is a good machine. It does not need a whole lot of upgrades. Lots of room in the cabin and bed, Handles pretty well stock, comes with nice doors and a nice cage. I would certainly check one out.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

I don't feel the YXZ is a great car in the rough desert type stuff relative to other cars on the market. The short wheelbase and suspension design don't lend themselves to a comfortable ride in whoops or really blown out terrain at speed.

Wildcat XX is a pretty good car overall as I said. My only real complaint about it is that parts are less plentiful and harder to get in a pinch. I think at this point the issues around that car's powertrain have been addressed for the most part.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Just do what I did. Buy a SXS for 20k. Use it for 2 years. Then sell it for 20k and never look back.

lol.. I’m buying a 4 seat non turbo rzr tomorrow with a cage, bench seat in the back, harnesses, shock therapy upgrades for 19.5.. I plan on running it until the speed cars come out and selling it for 20.5 - 19.5

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

For a 2 seat I’d be looking hard at the KRX Kawasaki or the Wild Cat.. both are bad ass won’t break the bank and are built like tanks, unlike their more fragile brethren.. can am / rzr etc..

neither are as fast but both have stronger suits than the competition in various categories.

other than that 4 seat new rzr / can am if you don’t want to wait. The speed Car is going to demolish everything once it comes out, but I’m expecting new car bugs abd possibly engine / driveline problems. (Hope not but I’m a realist).

RD

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Used prices are retarded right now. Buy a new Rzr DYNAMIX and be done. I like the can am but the ass end kicks really hard on jumps.

desrtrat256

Reaction score
If someone needs a good car cheap. I have a rock stock (other than tires) 2018 Polaris XP Turbo Dynamics with ride command. 100 hours 1100 miles. located in havasu, make me a fair offer.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Here is a great (as mentioned above by Shock Therapy) video on most all of them, Turbo vs Turbo and Non vs Non with pretty much all the goods vs bads.

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
If someone needs a good car cheap. I have a rock stock (other than tires) 2018 Polaris XP Turbo Dynamics with ride command. 100 hours 1100 miles. located in havasu, make me a fair offer.

2 or 4 seat for those looking. 👍

yz450mm

Reaction score

this is why I keep leaning on the General XP1000, it comes pretty well equipt, IMO I might call it a crossover between the ranger and the rzr. more sporty, has better suspension and seats than the ranger, already comes with full doors, more cupholders and better placement too, add a roof, maybe a winshield. A decent size bed for carrying beach chairs and coolers. price tag says, ouch tho!!! Cuz, I am gonna want to put set of methods and tensors on it... rugged comms... and rigid lights just to get started.

You might look into the new Wolverine models from Yamaha, they seem like a good mix between utility and sport.
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/recreation-side-by-side
1601329227627.png

Last edited:

desrtrat256

Reaction score
2 or 4 seat for those looking. 👍

Its a 2 seat. Arrived here with 3 miles on it. Always serviced with Polaris oils/filters, well taken care of. Standard ware and tear on plastics. Tested some products on it, returned it to stock, cruised it around and here it sits.

yz450mm

Reaction score
I don't feel the YXZ is a great car in the rough desert type stuff relative to other cars on the market. The short wheelbase and suspension design don't lend themselves to a comfortable ride in whoops or really blown out terrain at speed.

Wildcat XX is a pretty good car overall as I said. My only real complaint about it is that parts are less plentiful and harder to get in a pinch. I think at this point the issues around that car's powertrain have been addressed for the most part.

I've got mine pretty dialed in, but it will definitely pogo if I push it too hard in big whoops. Putting a spare in the back, along with softening up all the settings on the dual rate shocks has made it a pretty good ride. I also put a featherweight flywheel, airbox mods, and a tune in it, and using the paddle shifters to bang gears up top the 10.5k redline never gets old...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For a 2 seat I’d be looking hard at the KRX Kawasaki or the Wild Cat.. both are bad ass won’t break the bank and are built like tanks, unlike their more fragile brethren.. can am / rzr etc..

neither are as fast but both have stronger suits than the competition in various categories.

other than that 4 seat new rzr / can am if you don’t want to wait. The speed Car is going to demolish everything once it comes out, but I’m expecting new car bugs abd possibly engine / driveline problems. (Hope not but I’m a realist).

RD
Here is a great (as mentioned above by Shock Therapy) video on most all of them, Turbo vs Turbo and Non vs Non with pretty much all the goods vs bads.

Just watched that video.. LOL. Basically the same thing I said in the beginning!

RD

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I've got mine pretty dialed in, but it will definitely pogo if I push it too hard in big whoops. Putting a spare in the back, along with softening up all the settings on the dual rate shocks has made it a pretty good ride. I also put a featherweight flywheel, airbox mods, and a tune in it, and using the paddle shifters to bang gears up top the 10.5k redline never gets old...

Yea the fun factor of them is off the charts for sure.

PlanB

Reaction score
The Kawasaki is supposed to be rock solid, but like said above, it's slow. Justin (Shock Therapy) had one they were trying to break, and at 2500 miles it was still going strong. I am honestly surprised (given their motocross backgrounds) the Japanese companies have not stepped up more to go head to head with Can Am and Polaris. They obviously have the engineers to build some good stuff that will last.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The Kawasaki is supposed to be rock solid, but like said above, it's slow. Justin (Shock Therapy) had one they were trying to break, and at 2500 miles it was still going strong. I am honestly surprised (given their motocross backgrounds) the Japanese companies have not stepped up more to go head to head with Can Am and Polaris. They obviously have the engineers to build some good stuff that will last.

I was hoping for a 4 seat Turbo Kawasaki by now quite honestly. With more power and a 4 seat option I would have been a buyer.

This is specific to Havasu, but unless you are on a graded road, or drag racing on the street, 95% of people will be just fine with a 100-130 HP car. It will be just as fast as the 200 HP Turbo RZR or Can Am in almost all trails and dirt situations. There are few places around Havasu where you can put the extra power down effectively... and that is if you are even driving hard. If everyone in your group is cruising, no one knows the difference anyway :)

Last edited:

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I was hoping for a 4 seat Turbo Kawasaki by now quite honestly. With more power and a 4 seat option I would have been a buyer.

This is specific to Havasu, but unless you are on a graded road, or drag racing on the street 95% of people will be just fine with a 100-130 HP car, and will be just as fast as the 200 HP Turbo RZR or Can Am in almost all trails and dirt situations. There are few places around Havasu where you can put the extra power down effectively... and that is if you are even driving hard. If everyone in your group is cruising, no one knows the difference anyway :)

But that one time you do get called out and have to drag race your car on video..... The video never goes away on here. You have to make it count.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Whereabouts are you located Happy to let you poke around my XX if you want to get a feel for one.

They are certainly slow when compared to turbo cars, but faster than any of the NA cars I have come across.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
But that one time you do get called out and have to drag race your car on video..... The video never goes away on here. You have to make it count.

A regular old XP turbo with stock tires and a basic tune, intake, and exhaust will pretty much smoke anything without big $$ power mods. Simple power to weight :)

satellitemike

Reaction score

Dont forget it has the ability to drive a single rear wheel which would save your tires on the pavement!

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I’ll sell my car for 18.5

Rzr 1000 4 seat non turbo has everything you need to go have a good time. Very reliable never had problems.

Groper

Reaction score
If i was looking at a 2 seater i'd go with a Honda Talon F**k belts 🤬
Their supposed to be releasing a turbo before 2035 lol

satellitemike

Reaction score
Define "good car cheap"?

Taboma

Reaction score
I’ll sell my car for 18.5

Rzr 1000 4 seat non turbo has everything you need to go have a good time. Very reliable never had problems.

Hope it uses a different fuel pump than our 15' EP 900S, that died and left us stranded way the hell out in the mountains to die alone --- TWICE :mad:
After the 2nd one, my normally brave wife said --- "That's It, I'm not riding in it anymore" --- gone the following day and replaced with the Wildcat XX, so far so good.

desrtrat256

Reaction score
Define "good car cheap"?

haha, ill do my best. Should be a solid car for someone, all stock, non of the running gear has been touched except for services. It was used for photo shoots and trail cruising. whats fair for these cars these days? $16.5 and ill make sure its fully serviced, nut and bolted before it leaves. I have no idea what the used market is doing. I just need it out of the shop.