WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hallett 255 Open Bow Walk Through new build

Electric Mike

Reaction score
I'm thinking about having Nordic build a new Hallett 255 Open Bow Walk Through. I'm looking for 255 owners or anyone else who has had a boat built recently to talk about all option ideas including engine upgrades. I have read the other posts and learned a lot from them. Thank you, Mike

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Nordic builds a beautiful boat, just go with the biggest engine you can afford. Resale chases the larger Merc engines.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
What option upgrades are important to you? Here is my short list.

Mercury 600Sci
External steering
Extended swim step
Triple Axle Trailer
Stereo upgrade they do. Stage 1 or 2 they call it.
Tabs not the standard Lenco's
Snap in Carpet over Teak, not sea dek.

Electric Mike

Reaction score

Mercury 600Sci
External steering
Extended swim step
Triple Axle Trailer
Right on. Those are good ones. Is the hidden bimini possible on the 255?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

Mercury 600Sci
External steering
Extended swim step
Triple Axle Trailer
This ^^^ great list. Then you get into your own individual touches. Lights and light placement, steering wheel ladida.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Love our 255. Perfect size for us. Big enough for Havasu water and small enough to keep clean. I have the 525 with the XR drive full hydraulic steering and it’s a great set up. We cruise 55-60 with no problem and have plenty of power left for a little more if needed. Congrats on your new build.

oldschool

Reaction score
We walked through Nordic the other day and looked at a couple 27’s they were finishing up. Boats were unbelievably impressive. If I was building a new boat it would be with those guys.

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
2017 255 with a 540, one of the last ones built by original Hallett. Good power, to get you on plane and decent top end. 600 would be nice but definatly jacks the price up. 255's won't be the fastest boat in its class but handles rough water nice. We did the stereo upgrade to 2 12's under the helm and passenger foot wells. I would recommend enclosed sub boxes or put them under the back seat. Standard Lenco tabs have not been a problem and we cruise 50-60mph and can sink the tabs and cut through almost anything. Full hydraulic steering is a must. Swim platform is cool if you have kids or a bunch of people on your boat all the time, me personally, not a fan of the look but to each his own. We did all the led lights in the interior in read to match the boat and white courtesy lights. Also did the under water lights even though we dont really use them.

Congrats on the build and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Electric Mike

Reaction score
Thank you everybody for the great input. I have an appointment with Ray in a couple weeks and your ideas help a lot!

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, if you do a lot of docking, ask to have the bow cleats moved back a foot or 2. They are mounted so far forward that when you tie off, it tends to pull stern of the boat out off the dock.
Or just add one more cleat. Forgot to put that.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
This build they made pretty close to OG styling. Interior is pretty close to how it used to be even has the fiberglass seat bases. Standard bimini straps also.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Thank you everybody for the great input. I have an appointment with Ray in a couple weeks and your ideas help a lot!
I’ve got a little something to add.
Starting from scratch, you have the option to talk with the gelcoat guy there and pick his brain a little.
Throw some colors at him and some general ideas. I’d imagine he has some creativity he could throw on top of your wishes. Producing something unique.
Working from a computer generated blueprint tends to stifle guys like him(and me😉)
I understand he likes a nice cigar, lol.
Toss him a color list, a few cigars and tell him to make it bad ass. 😎

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I’ve got a little something to add.
Starting from scratch, you have the option to talk with the gelcoat guy there and pick his brain a little.
Throw some colors at him and some general ideas. I’d imagine he has some creativity he could throw on top of your wishes. Producing something unique.
Working from a computer generated blueprint tends to stifle guys like him(and me😉)
I understand he likes a nice cigar, lol.
Toss him a color list, a few cigars and tell him to make it bad ass. 😎

Sage advice!!

Electric Mike

Reaction score

Mercury 600Sci
External steering M
Extended swim step
Triple Axle Trailer

Mercury 600Sci
External steering
Extended swim step
Triple Axle Trailer
What's

Mercury 600Sci
External steering
Extended swim step
Triple Axle Trailer
What's your opinion on vessel view , GPS and gauges?

Electric Mike

Reaction score

Mercury 600Sci
External steering
Extended swim step
Triple Axle Trailer
Why triple axle trailer?

Electric Mike

Reaction score
Hehe silly me. I guess I'm getting old !! Thanks for keeping me in line :)

Runs2rch

Reaction score
What's

I prefer an old school style helm, but you might like or need a GPS where you boat.

Triple axle is baller status haha, but also tracks and tows better than a tandem. Torsion with a 25 ft boat you could roll on four if you ever had issues with out strapping or chaining axle up.

Electric Mike

Reaction score
Love our 255. Perfect size for us. Big enough for Havasu water and small enough to keep clean. I have the 525 with the XR drive full hydraulic steering and it’s a great set up. We cruise 55-60 with no problem and have plenty of power left for a little more if needed. Congrats on your new build.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
What's your opinion on the 600?
Trouble free package that has the ability to make way more power if wanted. Only thing con could be not being able to get DTS.

Had 400 trouble free hrs on our 335 when we sold it. New owner said motors were fine when pulled apart for Whipple upgrade.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
What's your opinion on the 600?

Tag the guy that built this one! 👍

Electric Mike

Reaction score

I'm a little slow! I just figured you're the Hallett and Nordic gel guru. I really appreciate your input!! We have our first appt. with Ray this coming Fri.
I prefer an old school style helm, but you might like or need a GPS where you boat.

Triple axle is baller status haha, but also tracks and tows better than a tandem. Torsion with a 25 ft boat you could roll on four if you ever had issues with out strapping or chaining axle up.
[/

Electric Mike

Reaction score

I just figured out you're the Hallett Nordic Gel guru. I love your work!!

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I just figured out you're the Hallett Nordic Gel guru. I love your work!!
It's a little confusing, but I think you'll be working with retaocleg, Gelcoater was before Nordic bought them. They're both top of the line.

Electric Mike

Reaction score
Not me, lol.
As Freebird said, I used to do Hallett before Davis bought the company.
You will be in good hands with their guy👍
Gotcha, I still appreciate the guidance. 29 years in a 1976 24 spectra so I have lots to learn!

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
What's

I like the screens you can use on Vessel View. I still ran gauges as well as a secondary back up. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20200527_112041.jpg
    20200527_112041.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 308

Electric Mike

Reaction score
Hehe I have the same situation explaining to my wife HP vs $. :p What do you think the difference on cruising speed MPG is between say the 520 and the 600 ? We've spent the last 45 years under 50 MPH boating so 65 or 70 will be a treat! What do you think will be the big difference? Getting on plane and top speed? I think I'm talking myself into the 600

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
Hehe I have the same situation explaining to my wife HP vs $. :p What do you think the difference on cruising speed MPG is between say the 520 and the 600 ? We've spent the last 45 years under 50 MPH boating so 65 or 70 will be a treat! What do you think will be the big difference? Getting on plane and top speed? I think I'm talking myself into the 600
To be honest, 520 to 600 you would maybe see 2-5mph difference at crusing speeds depending on RPM you like to cruise at. The bigger difference would be if you started playing with whipple kits on the 600. You can make even more power at a lesser cost due to already having the supercharger. Mostly pulley size changes, flame arrestor, and programming changes. You can go whipple stage 3 and pick up 150-170 hp for about $3500 if I remember correctly.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
To be honest, 520 to 600 you would maybe see 2-5mph difference at crusing speeds depending on RPM you like to cruise at. The bigger difference would be if you started playing with whipple kits on the 600. You can make even more power at a lesser cost due to already having the supercharger. Mostly pulley size changes, flame arrestor, and programming changes. You can go whipple stage 3 and pick up 150-170 hp for about $3500 if I remember correctly.
Agreed. And, I think your hp numbers after a Whipple kit are a bit comservative? Lol.
With or without the upgrades, I believe where the 600 will really shine is in acceleration.
Superchargers make torque.

I think the OP should investigate what fuel these various engine options require, and weigh all the pros and cons.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Cubic inches make TQ also.

Give Gary at GT a call. They build a 720 hp 540 or 588 for about half of what a 600 will cost.

Gary knows these boats well. Has rigged a ton of them. Just another option. Pretty easy to build 600 hp out of a 502. Even easier with a 540.

hallett21

Reaction score
Cubic inches make TQ also.

Give Gary at GT a call. They build a 720 hp 540 or 588 for about half of what a 600 will cost.

Gary knows these boats well. Has rigged a ton of them. Just another option. Pretty easy to build 600 hp out of a 502. Even easier with a 540.

EFI or Carb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hallett21

Reaction score
EFI. There was a 2013 255 that just sold. Was running the 720hp 588. I have a few pics I'll post.

Are you getting into Imco out drive territory with that kind of power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Electric Mike

Reaction score
Agreed. And, I think your hp numbers after a Whipple kit are a bit comservative? Lol.
With or without the upgrades, I believe where the 600 will really shine is in acceleration.
Superchargers make torque.

I think the OP should investigate what fuel these various engine options require, and weigh all the pros and cons.
[/QUOT
87 octane