WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Are flat bottoms still alive?

wash11

Reaction score
Long term goal for Amy and I has been hitting Parker for a few weeks at a time starting in October and running through April. After that, the farm business is just too busy to get away. We've got a decent little Lance cab-over for this plan and I've been putting a few bucks away here and there for a mid 60's Hallett Flat like the one I grew up on. I read so many posts about broken docks, tidal waves and assface drivers of tow boats that I'm wondering if our little daydream is still realistic. I'd prefer to leave the boat tied off a buoy as opposed to pulling it out everyday.
I've owned several 17' and 18' flatties over the years before moving to 21' v-drives and stern drives then finally buying a tri-toon in 08' to fit the teenagers better. Kids are gone and I'm digging my simple lifestyle which the camper/flat fit nicely in to.
I'm fine as long as we can get a nice, early morning putt putt in followed by drinks and naps then rinse and repeat at sunset.
Are there any other RDP inmates on this program? Is it still doable and enjoyable?

BingerFang

Reaction score
For those months you can absolutely run a flat bottom. Especially in mornings/afternoons.

Don’t let a few stories from wakeboard boats crush your dreams. All the horror stories you mentioned do happen but mostly during the summer months/holiday weekends which you will be working the farm anyways.

You’ll be just fine 👍

I do recommend an auto bilge for a piece of mind if the boat is going to be hooked up to a buoy without supervision.

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
IMG_20200516_060219.jpg

They're waiting in line to launch.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'd hit up Devious Chris on here. They have an Original Schiada Flat bottom that was built for Leonard's wife. It's a wood deck and from the photo's appears to be in decent condition and they aren't asking a lot for it. I have been contemplating buying it for awhile, but I just don't have anywhere to put it.

RD

wash11

Reaction score
For those months you can absolutely run a flat bottom. Especially in mornings/afternoons.

Don’t let a few stories from wakeboard boats crush your dreams. All the bullshit you hear about happens during the summer months/holiday weekends which you will be working the farm anyways.

You’ll be just fine 👍

I do recommend an auto bilge for a piece of mind if the boat is going to be hooked up to a buoy without supervision.

That's great to hear. We've delivered beef to customers on the strip during the summer months and it looks like an absolute shit show most days. I wasn't sure if its started to spill into the off season or not.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Long term goal for Amy and I has been hitting Parker for a few weeks at a time starting in October and running through April. After that, the farm business is just too busy to get away. We've got a decent little Lance cab-over for this plan and I've been putting a few bucks away here and there for a mid 60's Hallett Flat like the one I grew up on. I read so many posts about broken docks, tidal waves and assface drivers of tow boats that I'm wondering if our little daydream is still realistic. I'd prefer to leave the boat tied off a buoy as opposed to pulling it out everyday.
I've owned several 17' and 18' flatties over the years before moving to 21' v-drives and stern drives then finally buying a tri-toon in 08' to fit the teenagers better. Kids are gone and I'm digging my simple lifestyle which the camper/flat fit nicely in to.
I'm fine as long as we can get a nice, early morning putt putt in followed by drinks and naps then rinse and repeat at sunset.
Are there any other RDP inmates on this program? Is it still doable and enjoyable?

Yes.

Feel free to call for details. Would be nice to see you guys out there. 👍

wash11

Reaction score
I'd hit up Devious Chris on here. They have an Original Schiada Flat bottom that was built for Leonard's wife. It's a wood deck and from the photo's appears to be in decent condition and they aren't asking a lot for it. I have been contemplating buying it for awhile, but I just don't have anywhere to put it.

RD
I'm still a couple years away from doing this. Goal is to have the house paid off first so I'm better off wearing blinders. If I start looking, I start justifying all the reasons why I should buy one now 😁

Hydroman55

Reaction score

You can do all mentioned just be on the water early.
Pics from a couple weeks ago at BlueWater.
Back on the trailer by 9 weekends but can be much better during the week.
5697061B-E551-4251-A27C-334F06CFBFBC.jpeg
0192A28C-682F-487A-9974-13BB97D5CBF7.jpeg
0EFD5D1A-2D9D-40FD-9E85-CBF5593584FF.jpeg
5697061B-E551-4251-A27C-334F06CFBFBC.jpeg
0192A28C-682F-487A-9974-13BB97D5CBF7.jpeg
0EFD5D1A-2D9D-40FD-9E85-CBF5593584FF.jpeg

Last edited:

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I've always wanted a 17 or 18 ft. flatty. Nothing fancy or crazy fast. Just loud and cool for the early or late runs. Parker in October in the fall or early spring is awesome!

wallnutz

Reaction score
I have been having that same dream for a few months now.

fmo24

Reaction score
I want a long deck raysoncraft. There were several that ski raced back in the day and I always loved watching them run.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Covid has extended the shit show deep into the fall.....Windsor Launch ramp in Havasu was almost full last weekend. In a couple of years the Covid stupidity will have past and you will be able to enjoy the fall months on the water. I have been waiting, its getting better, but Im still blown away by how many people are still boating into October.

sirbob

Reaction score

RD

Is it listed someplace Dave?

I'd love to see some pics if they are available somewhere???

gqchris

Reaction score
Covid has extended the shit show deep into the fall.....Windsor Launch ramp in Havasu was almost full last weekend. In a couple of years the Covid stupidity will have past and you will be able to enjoy the fall months on the water. I have been waiting, its getting better, but Im still blown away by how many people are still boating into October.

It has dug into my fall boating as well since I cant get away during the week much and I refuse to participate in the shit show after my last trip. Im hoping this doesn't take a couple years to normalize. Thats some scary shit.

cofooter

Reaction score
I am sort of thinking we should have gotten the intake polished and clear coated!
Barry, I scored some Super Cobra Jet heads. Figure maybe upgrade heads and intake next year. If not, I agree with you. Only thing not polished.

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
I was just down at Castle Rock RV park last weekend. I don't have my flatty anymore but October is a perfect time to run them. Water is still warm enough to still swim out to them. I like staying up there towards the top of the river cause it is less busy. Couple of guys were running every morning.

mbrown2

Reaction score
That's great to hear. We've delivered beef to customers on the strip during the summer months and it looks like an absolute shit show most days. I wasn't sure if its started to spill into the off season or not.

You calling my street a shit show... :) . Well it kind of is during 4th of July or whenever you came down :):):)

In all seriousness I would also look at a CP or similar jet boat for the river....particular off season things can get shallow and those boats seem to really be able to handle all types of smooth and choppy water.....they fit 2 or 4 comfortably and look to deliver a smooth ride in a variety of water.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Barry, I scored some Super Cobra Jet heads. Figure maybe upgrade heads and intake next year. If not, I agree with you. Only thing not polished.
Might be easier to polish before it gets run,, just a thought

Gelcoater

Reaction score
he had it on here for awhile. Hit him up @Devious_Chris
Hey Dave?
What happened to the yellow/while and all wood deck Nick had in the showroom at Hallett?
Is it at the Nordic/Hallett shop now?
That thing was drop dead beautiful.
I used to tell Jerry I wanted it as a Christmas bonus😇

Then I started in with How many new boats do I have to shoot to tow that thing home behind me one day😂

Backlash

Reaction score
I was just down at Castle Rock RV park last weekend. I don't have my flatty anymore but October is a perfect time to run them. Water is still warm enough to still swim out to them. I like staying up there towards the top of the river cause it is less busy. Couple of guys were running every morning.

Shhhhhh..... 🤫😁

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Hell yeah, my man. Flatbottoms are alive and well. I put the "family boat" (Hallett 270T) away this week and broke out the flatty, as it's that time of year. I usually run the flat between now and March, and at Elsinore mid
week through summer. I'll be in needles October 24th, but I am worried the COVITES will be in full force still.

Mine is not a show piece, but she's fun. Blown FE390 Ford

IMG_E5316.JPG

Me and my son ripping across the shit.
image0.png

My daughter gets some seat time too.
image1 (1).jpeg
IMG_2659.jpg

wash11

Reaction score
Hell yeah, my man. Flatbottoms are alive and well. I put the "family boat" (Hallett 270T) away this week and broke out the flatty, as it's that time of year. I usually run the flat between now and March, and at Elsinore mid
week through summer. I'll be in needles October 24th, but I am worried the COVITES will be in full force still.

View attachment 931538

View attachment 931539

View attachment 931540 View attachment 931541

Fuggin' rad. I'm a HUGE FE fan. It's not often you see a blown 390!

wash11

Reaction score
You calling my street a shit show... :) . Well it kind of is during 4th of July or whenever you came down :):):)

In all seriousness I would also look at a CP or similar jet boat for the river....particular off season things can get shallow and those boats seem to really be able to handle all types of smooth and choppy water.....they fit 2 or 4 comfortably and look to deliver a smooth ride in a variety of water.

Hahahaaa! I knew going in what that place was going to look like the weekend I delivered your beef. Strangely, the mid week deliveries we've done didn't look much different though. Definitely different than years past.

There's a bunch of boats that make more sense in terms of usability and yeah, the CP's are bitchin but my hearts set on an old beater from yesteryear.

wash11

Reaction score

Ladsm

Reaction score
Thank goodness, cuz that's a boat i'd rock as is, forever.
Joel you know you would have it torn down to the stringers and built back up like a brick shithouse, new Stainless lines, matching AN fittings everywhere and new wiring that is Nasa approved- Sorry Chicken approved

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
They are alive! Parker is going to be weekdays or early mornings. Get below Parker and it gets better ;)

BigRedBryan

Reaction score

View attachment 931538

View attachment 931539

View attachment 931540 View attachment 931541

I've seen that flat before I think...
IMG9551481.jpg

Duramax

Reaction score
So disappointing.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
They are alive and well and can be used year round here in Arizona and California. Nothing better than a morning run in a flat. In fact there is a flat in Havasu called “Old Grandad” that launches on Saturday mornings during the busy weekends and cruises up river and hangs out all day. Here is my 19ft flat that I use locally. I launch at 7 and back on the trailer and home by 10am. Everyone needs to own a flat, best therapy.
724AA03A-2AB4-4479-BEBB-A1869F32B22A.jpeg

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
More pics please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My uncles boat now my cousins ,kept at my house. First boat I was ever in , learned to drive a boat and learned to ski. As did most of our Frey family. 63 Lavey with a 390 . This boat left its tow vehicle one year do to being towed so much it made a flat spot in the hitch. Pictures of that somewhere.
20190812_124459.jpg
FB_IMG_1535339029509.jpg
FB_IMG_1593656537693.jpg
20200925_104916.jpg
20190827_121347.jpg