WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Teague 825 thoughts???

blue wonder

Reaction score
So I’m an outboard guy but considering a boat with a Teague 825 with 300 hours all original...what do the I/O guys say about this???

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
What size, type boat? The 850 upgrade is on the top of my list when it’s time for a rebuild. I’ve heard nothing but great reviews on the entire line-up. That being said, there’s no magic dust and the higher the HP the fewer hours it’ll go without some work as a general rule. I’d have the motor and drive checked out for sure

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
What size, type boat? The 850 upgrade is on the top of my list when it’s time for a rebuild. I’ve heard nothing but great reviews on the entire line-up. That being said, there’s no magic dust and the higher the HP the fewer hours it’ll go without some work as a general rule. I’d have the motor and drive checked out for sure

This. Check the drive. I know a couple people that have popped drives, and you could simply be on constantly borrowed time without a heavily built drive.

renodaytona

Reaction score
I think in one of the Teague/Swoop videos he talks about how many hours he recommends for a refresh on their motors. I want to say 300 hours was the number.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Id say put away 7-8k to redo top end in future, add another $6500 if drive isn't up to snuff.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Full MM upper and lower build will be close to $10,000.........buddy had a F29 with a Teague 850 in it and he went through a ton of drives, so much so he got rid of the boat.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Hi, from someone who actually has an 825. They’re great motors, extremely well built, turn key. Actually not terrible on fuel either (I average ~1.5mpg). I run it in a 27 Advantage with a Teague Platinum drive, labbed 4 blade. I’m gentle on it, it’s my family boat but I’ve used it in poker runs and such too. If you don’t floor it out of the hole, or get the boat airborne in rough water, that drive will live behind an F26. Ive never “popped” a drive, but after 200+ hours it did start to eat up the lower gears. Everything else was fine and reused, just nee lower gears and good to go.

I’ve only got 110hours on my 825 but it’s never let me down. Only refused to start once, and that was on the hose,and that was a bad MSD box, which is a known MSD problem. I upgraded to a Daytona Instruments ignition box a few years ago, so far so good.

At 300 hours I’d have a good shop do a leak down of the motor, that’ll give you an idea of its health. I know they’ve had motors go 4-500 hours before rebuilds. Just depends on how it’s been used, rpm it was run at, etc. what year is the boat/motor?

Any other questions let me know!

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
I think it’s a perfect combo for that hull! maintain that drive, go easy getting on plane, and don’t air it out. At 300hrs it’s time to go through it. Sounds like the drive is already done...I would still tear it down for inspection.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Full MM upper and lower build will be close to $10,000.........buddy had a F29 with a Teague 850 in it and he went through a ton of drives, so much so he got rid of the boat.
I think the 850 is a 540ci not 509ci? That’s a big difference if front of any bravo. And he is talking about a much lighter F26. Prop shaft height makes a difference too...no bravo was ever MEANT to surface. If you move up to an scx the drive is stronger but you need more power to turn the gears. Then you still have a weak lower with the sc...or scx lower and you need more power. Never ends.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I did a oil change on my Verado at 100 hours. Next change will be in about 5 years...

Boat 405

Reaction score
Eventually you'll get tired of eating up xr gears in the upper and you'll go to a SCX/SC combo. The Teague 825 will go 500 hrs easy, I'd be inspecting the cam/lifters/rocker arms, valve springs at 300 hrs.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Eventually you'll get tired of eating up xr gears in the upper and you'll go to a SCX/SC combo. The Teague 825 will go 500 hrs easy, I'd be inspecting the cam/lifters/rocker arms, valve springs at 300 hrs.
Pretty spot on. But wouldn’t you freshen up the bottom end if the engine is out of the boat, torn down to the short block?

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
In my mind it goes like this...the drive is always the limiter. Xr is rated for 650 tq. So 600sci is a good choice since it makes 650tq. Then next step to Ilmor 710 or 725 is also 650tq but more hp with more rpm and will live a long life, then teague 825 with platinum drive....which I think is the limit before an SCX and more power.

socalrzr

Reaction score
I have a lot of hours on my magic with an 800 with no real engine issues. The drives are the weak link and can add up quick if your not careful.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
In my mind it goes like this...the drive is always the limiter. Xr is rated for 650 tq. So 600sci is a good choice since it makes 650tq. Then next step to Ilmor 710 or 725 is also 650tq but more hp with more rpm and will live a long life, then teague 825 with platinum drive....which I think is the limit before an SCX and more power.
Too many things wrong with this statement. The xr is rated for 600 for lbs but in a burst. Being a boat is under load 100-% of the time the drive will not last. The imco scx is rated for 800 ft lbs continuous. Teague 825 will break an xr period. How long till that happens that’s the 10,000$ question.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Are you talking about the f26 out drive one has?

MooreMoney

Reaction score
I had a 825 in a single f29. Loved that motor and boat. A 825 in a 26 with the drive you listed shouldn’t be a lot of maintenance. Just go easy rolling over to get on plane and the motor and drive should last. It’s the guys that mash the sticks that blow the drives.

Teague’s great to work with too. Call Teague and ask how much for a refresh/inspection.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
I’ve got a boating buddy who’s had a couple of these. If you never want to ski, never get in rough water while on plane ( surfacing drive ), if you drive it easy and never use the tourge and HP this motor puts out, if you don’t mind always being the last boat on plane, if you never load the boat with people, it’s a GREAT setup. The motor isn’t in question. There’s no drive that will stand up to it long term. You need to be able to carry an extra drive with you, and the tools/knowledge to change it in the dark in the parking lot, or be able to remain calm when it breaks, causing you to write another 5 digit check to make it go again. They go REALLY fast, then they don’t go at all

Boat 405

Reaction score
Pretty spot on. But wouldn’t you freshen up the bottom end if the engine is out of the boat, torn down to the short block?
If the bearings are happy, I wouldn't do anything with the bottom end unless over 500 hours and then disassemble and inspect. These shortblocks are pretty stout these days. Really like i mentioned I think the cam,lifters,springs,rocker arms would be the key at 300hrs.

fastenuff3

Reaction score
I love how everyone here has a “buddy” who breaks shit all the time. @blue wonder notice that the people here who actually have this motor/drive package love it..?
i have a 2008 290 hallett with stage 4 600 with 220 hours and 5 blade prop all on original xr and i even pull the kids tubing. i just sent upper to Teague to have it rebuilt before it broke. i think my boat is about 2000lbs heavier than 26 dcb.just like people have said i take it easy on take off and keep the boat in the water.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
i have a 2008 290 hallett with stage 4 600 with 220 hours and 5 blade prop all on original xr and i even pull the kids tubing. i just sent upper to Teague to have it rebuilt before it broke. i think my boat is about 2000lbs heavier than 26 dcb.just like people have said i take it easy on take off and keep the boat in the water.
Yep I do the same, pull the tube and I ski and wakeboard behind it. But I’ve done long distance runs at 4500-5000rpm all day long. I’ve done some poker runs where the boat was in the air more than it was in the water, just don’t enter the water under power, it’s fine.

JFMFG

Reaction score
I’ve followed the old owner I believe his name is Vic he runs the hot boat Instagram page he sold it earlier in the season. Now the new owners have it for sale. I’m sure you could reach out to him and he’d answer any questions you have. Saw the boat a lot in Parker.

blue wonder

Reaction score
I’ve followed the old owner I believe his name is Vic he runs the hot boat Instagram page he sold it earlier in the season. Now the new owners have it for sale. I’m sure you could reach out to him and he’d answer any questions you have. Saw the boat a lot in Parker.
Anyone know his contact info by chance???

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So it just broke :)

3034D754-137C-4EAB-9FBE-5A18D5292509.gif

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I love how everyone here has a “buddy” who breaks shit all the time. @blue wonder notice that the people here who actually have this motor/drive package love it..?

I don’t have one, but at that power level, in a 26’ + boat, isn’t the drive basically a wear item? Yea you can milk it cautiously for a couple hundred hours, but sooner or later it fails in some way, right?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I'd run it all day long and twice on Sunday. It's a 26' Cat. Your at the borderline of where you *might* want to switch to an SCX, but with that comes 30k and lost MPH. SCX is kinda overkill, and an beefed up B1 is kinda underkill.

You'll have enough power to hurt the drive for sure, but if you drive it nicely you may get decent hours out of the drive. Some guys run 200+ hours on a fresh XR with the goodies in them. At that power level, the outdrive is considered a "tear down and inspect" item during your annual service. Pay a bit more servicing it and you will hopefully catch the gears pitting before catastrophy happens, which will save you alot of $$$ VS letting it just explode.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I don’t have one, but at that power level, in a 26’ + boat, isn’t the drive basically a wear item? Yea you can milk it cautiously for a couple hundred hours, but sooner or later it fails in some way, right?
True, but that’s just part of powerboating. I see boats with SCXs behind 525s cuz the owner keeps breaking XRs. And don’t think outboards are exempt, my drive builder does A LOT of outboard lowers too. You can break anything...

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I bought a used boat with a Teague 825 recently. I am totally impressed with it so far, had around 125 hours and 8 years when I bought it and has run perfectly all season. I called Teague support one morning and was lucky to get Bob on the phone, I told him what I bought and he asked for the motor package serial number. He looked it up in their system and found the build sheet. He went through every part and in the build and told me the reliability history expected for each part and suggested that the latest lifters and rockers they now use would be a good upgrade for longevity, no rush. I am thoroughly impressed with that honesty and will update at some point. I like dealing with companies like this and will support them until proven otherwise.

I ran into Bob last night at El Pariase and said hi, he remembered and asked how the boat was running... Good vibes about the Teague operation.

702sandman

Reaction score
I have a 2008 F26 with the 825 and XR. I’ve only had it for a few months but definitely put some fun hours on it already. It has 180 hours on it and it’s never been touched except for oil changes. This is the drive Teague pairs it up to when they sell this package unless the customer wants to do a upgrade. They are pretty bullet proof for sure, I had this same set up in a Daytona I owned. The way I look at it is if you don’t have the coin to replace a drive if and when it’s needed I would definitely look at a different set up, these higher HP motors are going to break a drive at some point so just be prepared. The way you drive is going to determine the time frame on the drive for sure. As far as the motor I would definitely do the rockers etc at 300-350 to for peace of mind. Hope this helps

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
For all the reasons above...700-800hp on a plat drive is fine.

Last edited:

Magic1

Reaction score
I know the boat your looking at extremely well. Its been babied and used 99% on the parker strip. The old owner was a freak with it and would only run good fuel , and took to Barret for service about every 10 hrs. The trailer is actually a F29 trailer thats been modified for the 26, so its super heavy duty. Get the boat you will be happy.

blue wonder

Reaction score
So what I’m getting is the original owner took care of it to about 297-298 hours, sold it to the guy that owned it for 4 months, he probably drove the shit out of it for 2-3 hours and blew the drive up and said fuck this this and is now unloading it

boatnam2

Reaction score
So what I’m getting is the original owner took care of it to about 297-298 hours, sold it to the guy that owned it for 4 months, he probably drove the shit out of it for 2-3 hours and blew the drive up and said fuck this this and is now unloading it
The boat OD has i have seen a few times end of summer, this thing is babied big time and cleaned to perfection every time i seen it.

JFMFG

Reaction score
I know he sold it for around 100 cause that’s what the asking price was.

Attachments

• 0A0A2E1D-7BD2-47A6-B1FD-9F8E5613C782.png
    0A0A2E1D-7BD2-47A6-B1FD-9F8E5613C782.png
    553.4 KB · Views: 139

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I've got a TCM975/1025 with a Imco SCX in a 26 v-bottom and we ski the heck out of this boat. With a skier we come out almost full throttle with a Merc 5-blade (for like 5 seconds). We change the drive oil every season and so far its been solid since it was new in 2013. I'd recommend anything TCM and the Imco SCX has been bulletproof so far. I wouldnt consider a Bravo (built or otherwise) behind 850 unless you are really really gentle with it. At least swap out the upper for an SCX.

blue wonder

Reaction score
Well just heard from my insurance lady, @ $4400 a year, no thanks...back to the twin outboard search I go

DMF

Reaction score
I have a Teague 800 with a Imco SCX drive on a 28' deck boat. We have skied, tubed, and wake boarded behind it without issues. I have Barrett Custom Marine change the engine oil and drive oil every 20-25 hours per Bob Teague himself. The boat is stored at the Havasu house and we change the impeller annually. The boat is a 2008 and i have owned it since 2011. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything with Teague power!

DMF

Reaction score
Well just heard from my insurance lady, @ $4400 a year, no thanks...back to the twin outboard search I go
I insure the boat thru Allstate and it's in the $1,300 range. I know deck boats are cheaper to insure, but your quote seems pretty high. My agent is Eric Lopez, he is advertised here on the board.