WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need a Prop Recommendation

Backlash

Reaction score
Hey guys! As luck would have it, someone jacked the prop off our boat. 🤬 It's a 19' Daytona with a Merc 2.5 200hp with some setback and a jackplate. I want to say I had a 21P 3 blade on it and was thinking of going up to a 24P. Any recommendations from the gurus?? Thank you in advance!!

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Where you on the rev limiter with the 21p?

stingray11

Reaction score
Going to need more info are you running prop shaft on the surface or under water when on plane. You have a nose cone with low water pickup or standard gear case?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
On a small boat like a daytona 19 you will need several props. I raced one for a few seasons, three blade big ear choppers, at least a 22 and a 24 to start. Merc ones are best but hill has copied it a d they work as well. Tons of them for sale on scream and fly. From there start testing with rpm, slip and water pressure and find out what works best under different scenarios, ie the weather and if your solo or have passengers that day.

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies guys! This boat has been more of a project than an actual boat. We've literally had 10 minutes run time on this damn thing. 🤣 It still needs some work before next summer, but I want to start looking around for some deals over the winter months.

Stingray it will be a multi-purpose boat; something to play with out at the river. It will be an early morning and late afternoon runner with double duty dragging the kids around mid-day. This wont be set up as an all-out drag queen or a top-speed runner. Just a play boat my friend. 😉

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies guys! This boat has been more of a project than an actual boat. We've literally had 10 minutes run time on this damn thing. [emoji1787] It still needs some work before next summer, but I want to start looking around for some deals over the winter months.

Stingray it will be a multi-purpose boat; something to play with out at the river. It will be an early morning and late afternoon runner with double duty dragging the kids around mid-day. This wont be set up as an all-out drag queen or a top-speed runner. Just a play boat my friend. [emoji6]
Put a jack plate and sponsor tabs on it those will allow you to run essentially 2 totally different set-ups. Use a lower pitch, 19 to 21, with the engine fairly buried and the tabs even or slightly down to help the boat plane faster, more level, and slower for tugging the kids around. Then swap props (my uncle and I run a 26 pitch Ron Hill big ear chopper on our 200 merc powered boats), rinse the engine (height dependant on set-up), pull the tabs all the way up (install the tabs with the top ram mou t higher than listed on the instructions to ensure they will pull totally out of the water at speed), and go have some real fun.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
Thanks FL! Yeah this boat already has a fixed aluminum setback bracket with a CMC jackplate bolted between that and the motor. There is plenty of room for adjustment. There aren't currently any tabs on the boat and I also wasn't planning on putting them on it. I think there is already plenty of room to adjust the attitude of the hull at speed between the jackplate and the trim switch. Just my .02 though. Someone with more experience in this hull would be the person to ask.

I'm almost positive the prop that was stolen was a 21P three blade, but I cant be 100% certain.

My buddy has a Baker and he is running the same motor with a 23P three blade and is happy with his setup. He's looking to go larger just to pick up some speed on the top end though.

Based on what he's seeing on his hull, I was thinking of starting with a 23P myself.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Thanks FL! Yeah this boat already has a fixed aluminum setback bracket with a CMC jackplate bolted between that and the motor. There is plenty of room for adjustment. There aren't currently any tabs on the boat and I also wasn't planning on putting them on it. I think there is already plenty of room to adjust the attitude of the hull at speed between the jackplate and the trim switch. Just my .02 though. Someone with more experience in this hull would be the person to ask.

I'm almost positive the prop that was stolen was a 21P three blade, but I cant be 100% certain.

My buddy has a Baker and he is running the same motor with a 23P three blade and is happy with his setup. He's looking to go larger just to pick up some speed on the top end though.

Based on what he's seeing on his hull, I was thinking of starting with a 23P myself.

23 in the winter should work for a top end prop, maybe even a 24 if it’s cold enough out

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you Sir! Which Quicksilver prop would you recommend, as I thought people were saying negative things about a Fury vs. Trophy?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Thank you Sir! Which Quicksilver prop would you recommend, as I thought people were saying negative things about a Fury vs. Trophy?
Neither, you need over hub exhaust props, big or small ear chopper three blades, call Hill propeller in Santa Ana, ask for Chad he will get you squared away.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
23 in the winter should work for a top end prop, maybe even a 24 if it’s cold enough out
You should be at least with a 28

Yeah, a 23 or 24 seems a little small to me for a top end prop. My 26" works pretty damn well. Would likely work a little better if I dropped the engine about 1/2 an inch but the engine still has no issue spinning it.

Tunnelfun

Reaction score
I see the boat at 80 turning about 28 pitch at 6200.
Call Hydromotive. They will prop you with a nice planning something that don't yank the wheel out of you hands. Probably a ventilated Quad-4 through hub. And they keep shipping till it works.

stingray11

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies guys! This boat has been more of a project than an actual boat. We've literally had 10 minutes run time on this damn thing. [emoji1787] It still needs some work before next summer, but I want to start looking around for some deals over the winter months.

Stingray it will be a multi-purpose boat; something to play with out at the river. It will be an early morning and late afternoon runner with double duty dragging the kids around mid-day. This wont be set up as an all-out drag queen or a top-speed runner. Just a play boat my friend. [emoji6]
In that case I would go with a trophy Plus 4 blade 24-26 good bite on take off and you can run it fairly high and still get good bite. You can pick them up used pretty cheap I just think a chopper would have way too much slip trying to get that boat on plane being a tunnel

Last edited:

stingray11

Reaction score
You should be at least with a 28
Yeah I agree HST but I don't think he has a nose cone low water pickup so he's not going to be able to spin a big wheel buried under the water. He did not answer my question about it

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
19’s really needs a cle lower, stockers get squirrelly above 75 or so

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you for the input guys.

The lower unit on this motor is stock at this point. No nosecone or low water pickups. The midsection on this motor is also stock and is way to long of a midsection for this hull setup (My .02). The motor is mounted as high as it can be on the bracket and on the jackplate itself, which has it sticking way up high above the boat. As I stated earlier, I bought this boat setup the way it is with the plan of having a simple play toy. I haven't adjusted anything on the boat since I bought it and have run it for 10 minutes.

Yes, I need to either change out the lower unit or pull this one and have work done to it to improve its efficiency. Probably the second option as I think it would be easier on the wallet since this will be a play toy and not an all-out drag boat. I'm simply looking to have some fun, not push the limits and blow this thing over.

As far as motor setup goes, I feel as though I need to either shorten this midsection, or change it out to a shorter midsection so I can drop the overall height of the motor. This would allow me to lower the height of the block itself while pulling the drive up so it isn't buried so deep beneath the boat.

Both of those things would be nice to do, to get the boat setup how I think it needs to be set up. But honestly, at this point, those two things can wait. They aren't a necessity. Having a boat that is usable isn't a necessity either, but it sure would be nice. 😁

hallett21

Reaction score
If you’re pulling kids around I would get a trophy for that. It lets the exhaust over the blades slightly but still has bite.

A chopper sounds like a headache pulling kids. Fine for pulling adult skiers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

The lower unit on this motor is stock at this point. No nosecone or low water pickups. The midsection on this motor is also stock and is way to long of a midsection for this hull setup (My .02). The motor is mounted as high as it can be on the bracket and on the jackplate itself, which has it sticking way up high above the boat. As I stated earlier, I bought this boat setup the way it is with the plan of having a simple play toy. I haven't adjusted anything on the boat since I bought it and have run it for 10 minutes.

Yes, I need to either change out the lower unit or pull this one and have work done to it to improve its efficiency. Probably the second option as I think it would be easier on the wallet since this will be a play toy and not an all-out drag boat. I'm simply looking to have some fun, not push the limits and blow this thing over.

As far as motor setup goes, I feel as though I need to either shorten this midsection, or change it out to a shorter midsection so I can drop the overall height of the motor. This would allow me to lower the height of the block itself while pulling the drive up so it isn't buried so deep beneath the boat.

Both of those things would be nice to do, to get the boat setup how I think it needs to be set up. But honestly, at this point, those two things can wait. They aren't a necessity. Having a boat that is usable isn't a necessity either, but it sure would be nice. 😁

You wont blow it over with a 200 on it, well maybe if you drove into a tornado.

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply H21! The goal would be to drag them around as little as possible as this isn't an ideal "Family boat" in some people's eyes. 😁 Surfing on your lunch break??

hallett21

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply H21! The goal would be to drag them around as little as possible as this isn't an ideal "Family boat" in some people's eyes. [emoji16] Surfing on your lunch break??

Lol we’re you at islands??? I just left!

Backlash

Reaction score
No Sir I didn't get the invite. 😁 I meant surfing the Internet!! Hahahaaa!! Talk about diming yourself out!! Hahaaaa!!

hallett21

Reaction score
No Sir I didn't get the invite. [emoji16] I meant surfing the Internet!! Hahahaaa!! Talk about diming yourself out!! Hahaaaa!!

It’s Friday told the boss kick rocks [emoji6]

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

You got a picture of the boat?

Almost sounds like you may have bought the 19' from Community on here? it was all white 19' Daytona with a 25" 200 Merc on it.

Backlash

Reaction score
20200506_195450.jpg

Here it is as I bought it from him.

hallett21

Reaction score
Are you going to continue running the 25” mid section?

If so that prop will be buried pretty deep. Not even sure you could get a chopper to surface even if you mounted the motor way high.

Might want to put some feelers out for a 20” midsection

Backlash

Reaction score
I'm only planning to run this midsection as long as I need to. The motor is mounted all the way up on the plate, with the plate jacked all the way up, and the lower unit is still buried pretty deep. I've been looking at some options, so..... 🤷‍♂️

Backlash

Reaction score
Flying Lavey, I started a thread in the Restoration section if you're really bored. 😁

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I'm only planning to run this midsection as long as I need to. The motor is mounted all the way up on the plate, with the plate jacked all the way up, and the lower unit is still buried pretty deep. I've been looking at some options, so..... 🤷‍♂️
If I remember right, when I was thinking of buying it that engine was a 25" mid, ie part of the problem with your running out of holes and still being buried.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
When you get to the point of changing the mid section do it right and go to a 15" with a CLE gear case and a hydraulic jack plate if you don't already have one. On a boat with that low of a profile it's the right set up.

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you guys I really appreciate all the feedback. A shorter mid was on my list of things to do, as was a different lower unit. All it takes is money right?! 🙄

The original plan was to put some gas in this boat and enjoy it for the summer. I really didn't want another project boat, which this one is turning out to be. All the time and money I've thrown at this one, while fun and enjoyable, could have been time and money I put into my stalled Howard project.

It's all good though. 🤷‍♂️😁

Backlash

Reaction score
When you get to the point of changing the mid section do it right and go to a 15" with a CLE gear case and a hydraulic jack plate if you don't already have one. On a boat with that low of a profile it's the right set up.

This hull already has an older CMC jackplate which works well. Once I fix the other issues and get the motor height where it needs to be, I think this should work well for it's intended purposes.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Thank you guys I really appreciate all the feedback. A shorter mid was on my list of things to do, as was a different lower unit. All it takes is money right?! 🙄

The original plan was to put some gas in this boat and enjoy it for the summer. I really didn't want another project boat, which this one is turning out to be. All the time and money I've thrown at this one, while fun and enjoyable, could have been time and money I put into my stalled Howard project.

It's all good though. 🤷‍♂️😁
Yeah, I wouldnt bother with prop selection until you get a shorter mid on it. a CLE would be great, but a factory lower with a bob's nose cone would work well as well once you get a short mid for it. Would be a lot of fun when its done though.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Ya! ... I got a recommendation also! .... :mad:
Prop job 1.jpg

Prop job 2.jpg

Quit hitting my Fuck'n Boat! ----- Prop will soon be caged with some additional SPIKES! :mad: Every blade's been hit!

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
When I was going to buy that boat, i was told it needed a 4 blade 28 pitch Mercury chopper. Joe at DBR said they love those props. Thats of course assuming the motor is at the correct height. Anyhow, I tracked one down for it. [emoji6]