WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sub Question...Not Vehicle, Shop Building?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, 40x50 shop building. Metal with 17ft side walls. I currently have an older Sony head driving 2 Technics boxes with 15" subs. I believe the problem is the placement, they are high in the corners. Loud enough, audio is clear...just lacking a bit on the low end for those rare occasions I go into a 90's minitruck flashback. I'm trying to get ideas for something as a sub driver that can be mounted up high. I've seen some various tube type designs, but never messed with them. The servo driven stuff is a tad out of my league for shop tunes. With the walls being standard insulated R-panel, they lack the rigidity to aim a sub towards them for loading...may sound like a ghetto Honda rattling the license plate :oops:

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
That’s a big area to make rattle. Grab a house sub or two and place them in the corners. Report back. Doesn’t even have to be good ones. Other option is crazy loud speakers like old school CVs with 13-15” woofers. I have an L Shape 3 car plus 15x48 RV side, a cheap ass box onkyo 7.1 system gets it done along with my Kenwood towers with 12”/mid/tweet from my HIgh School system on the RV side (thanks for keeping em for 20 years, dad!). That being said, I don’t run super loud, 40-50 max on the receiver when Wasted and not giving a fuck, lol. If I were on an acreage and volume was not a consideration, I would want about double what I have now, lol. Don’t get me wrong, I crank it, but I’m no longer wanting concert level ear bleed shit to keep the neighbors happy.

Last edited:

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Make sure they are not out of phase . Easy enough to do.

big areas take a lot more to get it done. Sound waves don’t bounce back like in a car.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That’s a big area to make rattle. Grab a house sub or two and place them in the corners. Report back. Doesn’t even have to be good ones. Other option are crazy loud speakers like old school CVs with 13-15” woofers. I have an L Shape 3 car plus 15x48 RV side, a cheap ass box onkyo 7.1 system gets it done along with my Kenwood towers with 12”/mid/tweet from my HS system.
That's pretty much what I have now, 15" subs with 6.5 mids and some horns, in the old school black house cabinets. Their in the corners, but maybe 16ft up? Maybe I should try aiming them down at 45 degrees and kind of focused towards the center. Right now they run high and parallel to eachother and the ground.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
My ideal setup? Grab some monoprice 6 or 8” In ceiling speakers, as many as you want. And whatever you consider adequate for subs, that is my final garage setup. Ran them in my last home theatre with GREAT results, Polk front stage and sub plus cheap ass mono price 6” Kevlar coaxes in the ceiling for $60/pair in the ceiling, sounded INCREDIBLE.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
My last home setup, Polk TSi 400 fronts plus Cs10 center. Plus Polk 10” sub. Not sure the model but it was the budget one, got it free from crutchfield When I ordered the rest. Monoprice 6” surrounds in ceiling. Sounded incredible. My wife had some friends over after it was done, I was at work. I had Warren G Regulate in the CDP when she fired it up for them, she said once the bass hit they were all speechless lmao... I’m going to run the same Polks with 8” coaxes this time, using a Yamaha setup. Since Onkyo went belly up. Unless someone has the hookup on a badass Onkyo 9.2 Reciever (New) for under 600...

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
at least one of these will make all of your dreams (and neighbors nightmares), come true. You will need a cheap mixer to go from the ghetto home stereo to heaven.
5AAC092A-AAFF-485E-BF6C-2A86D7599BAF.jpeg