WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone else going to glamis for Thanksgiving?

EmpirE231

Reaction score
You have more years /trips out there than most , all spot on advice.
While I enjoy dune driving the most, the wife and I don’t feel like using our first aid kits every trip in G vs 0 issues anywhere else.
Can’t wait for a recession to thin the Glamis “herd” like 2009,2010

exactly... the level of how busy it is out there, is a sign of a much needed market correction.

we usually do our go fast runs early morning.... the dunes are empty. That gets our adrenaline fix for the day.... then the rest of the day is spent camping and doing family rides.

sirbob

Reaction score
I used to spend a lot of time in Glamis - but its been a long time...

I'm just to the left of the skier with my OG Oakleys on:)

Scan.jpeg

LowRiver2

Reaction score
exactly... the level of how busy it is out there, is a sign of a much needed market correction.

we usually do our go fast runs early morning.... the dunes are empty. That gets our adrenaline fix for the day.... then the rest of the day is spent camping and doing family rides.
Our problem is we waste our time coming across injured riders or stuck newbies, even into the bowls.
I’m all for helping people but I’m also not there to help someone every 30 minutes. Gets old and becomes like work, which is why we go
Camping in the first place (to not work).

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Did they actually ever tow? It was always threatened but I never once heard of it happening. From what I understood they were always concerned about the liability, ie you tow something and someone was sleeping inside or the damage to things inside that were not secured since the owners were not planning on the rig being moved. Personally I think they should say tough shit, you were camped illegally, damage is your problem.

I believe they did some time ago. But you're right, the allegations of damage and liability followed. I agree with you that any damage should be on the owner. You can't leave your car parked alongside the highway for longer than the legal limit and it gets towed, why should this be any different?

Hammer

Reaction score
I’ll be there! Bring your smoker RD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wallnutz

Reaction score
We will be out on pad 5 got a friend that is leaving as I am pulling in on Tuesday night. Yes they did tow a few two years ago, pretty sure I posted video of it. Last year we were there when they kicked a bunch of guys off of pad 3&5.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
The baller rigs at Pad 2.5 dont move all season, they staff the camp with employees so its not abandoned or the chef that is on payroll stays at the camp full time.

There is still a 14 day camping limit even if the rig is attended. After that period, the rig has to move out of the area. BLM needs to be enforcing this also.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
There is still a 14 day camping limit even if the rig is attended. After that period, the rig has to move out of the area. BLM needs to be enforcing this also.

BLM either chooses not to, or they are paid off not to.... but I think they just choose not to, because last year was the first time I saw them come in and kick a crew out.... and that group has deep pockets to pay... if they had to.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Having not been to the dunes in about 20yrs, what are the new pain in the ass duners? When I quit, the new money guys with long travels were the annoying ones. They'd go point A to point B straight shot. As you were rolling through the dunes, those guys would hit the lip at a 90. Accident waiting to happen. Anything new? What's the "rollbar boat" of the dunes?

We used to get a pie from Sweet Marrie for Saturday night potluck desert. "Gentleman Doug" would let me use his tools and even his press or lathe on a couple occasions. The were both very cool, and treated me and my friends well...

It's been awhile!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Having not been to the dunes in about 20yrs, what are the new pain in the ass duners? When I quit, the new money guys with long travels were the annoying ones. They'd go point A to point B straight shot. As you were rolling through the dunes, those guys would hit the lip at a 90. Accident waiting to happen. Anything new? What's the "rollbar boat" of the dunes?

We used to get a pie from Sweet Marrie for Saturday night potluck desert. "Gentleman Doug" would let me use his tools and even his press or lathe on a couple occasions. The were both very cool, and treated me and my friends well...

It's been awhile!
It was 10 years for us until last weekend. Trailer explosion in the camp next to us and resulting injuries and deaths really impacted my nurse wife, it was pretty horrific. There was that and 10 years ago the dunes were getting close to a closure or a big reduction in size so we opted to sell everything and buy a place in Havasu, fortunately that decision really paid off for us financially.

The side by side has really changed everything since we have been gone.

ULTRA 94

Reaction score
We are leaving Tuesday - Saturday and will be at the end of was 14!

Personally I like Havasu / Parker better, and riding with friends etc.. but I promised the wife we’d use this motorhome every chance we get, and we have a large group going so it’s gonna be fun.

who else is gonna be in glamis?
We'll be camping right there as well. Lets gets some beers down. Just my family and 1 other family are rolling out. Trying to get 69hondo to roll out also.

EmpirE231

Reaction score

It's been awhile!

The new "pain in the ass" is more so, more of the same. People that litter, people that blast their music all night long with complete disregard for others around them. The long travel equity ballers have been replaced with easily financeable side x sides......... the downside is lots of people out there with VERY little experience.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
It was 10 years for us until last weekend. Trailer explosion in the camp next to us and resulting injuries and deaths really impacted my nurse wife, it was pretty horrific. There was that and 10 years ago the dunes were getting close to a closure or a big reduction in size so we opted to sell everything and buy a place in Havasu, fortunately that decision really paid off for us financially.

The side by side has really changed everything since we have been gone.

What happened with the trailer explosion?

77charger

Reaction score
Wonder what will happen to gexko if ca orders another lockdown.I saw if cases of the china virus break 4500 per day for 5 days they wil lock down today is day 1.I know fed land but not hard to persuade feds to follow.They shut gecko last time in march over it.

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
Wonder what will happen to gexko if ca orders another lockdown.I saw if cases of the china virus break 4500 per day for 5 days they wil lock down today is day 1.I know fed land but not hard to persuade feds to follow.They shut gecko last time in march over it.

Stay at home order issued. Curious to see how this unfolds. Regardless, I still plan on going to Ocotillo.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
What happened with the trailer explosion?
Camp next to us had converted a box trailer to sleeping quarters and installed propane heat, it leaked all night. Wife got up and plugged in coffee maker and it blew. Wife ran out on fire the husband was still inside. My wife basically managed the entire operation, the AMR ambulance guys took all direction from her, she directed the FD to send choppers even before FD got on scene and she helped intubate them both in the choppers before they lifted off. She lived, he eventually died. I have never seen anything so horrific in my life, her skin was peeled off as it someone had taken a cheese grater to her. The wires in her bra melted into her chest, she was pretty much completely naked, the clothes burned into her skin. My wife was honored as Duner of the Year and received citations from the FD the BLM, the hospital she works at, etc.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Camp next to us had converted a box trailer to sleeping quarters and installed propane heat, it leaked all night. Wife got up and plugged in coffee maker and it blew. Wife ran out on fire the husband was still inside. My wife basically managed the entire operation, the AMR ambulance guys took all direction from her, she directed the FD to send choppers even before FD got on scene and she helped intubate them both in the choppers before they lifted off. She lived, he eventually died. I have never seen anything so horrific in my life, her skin was peeled off as it someone had taken a cheese grater to her. The wires in her bra melted into her chest, she was pretty much completely naked, the clothes burned into her skin. My wife was honored as Duner of the Year and received citations from the FD the BLM, the hospital she works at, etc.
I remember that, wasn't it in wash 4 or 6? We were camped pretty close and heard it. But didn't hear what happened until later in the day.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I remember that, wasn't it in wash 4 or 6? We were camped pretty close and heard it. But didn't hear what happened until later in the day.

It was in Wash 6. The box trailer was round after the blast.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score

I did a search about it when you mentioned it, I just read the story on another Forum, I think you posted it. Your wife is a hero. Your a lucky guy.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I did a search about it when you mentioned it, I just read the story on another Forum, I think you posted it. Your wife is a hero. Your a lucky guy.

Thanks, she changes into a machine when the shit hits the fan, unfortunately I have seen her do more things like that since then. A year ago she was climbing into a car after a head on crash on the 95 on our way to Havasu. Its hard for her to relax out there and have some cocktails because she never knows when she might have to act.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Thanks, she changes into a machine when the shit hits the fan, unfortunately I have seen her do more things like that since then. A year ago she was climbing into a car after a head on crash on the 95 on our way to Havasu. Its hard for her to relax out there and have some cocktails because she never knows when she might have to act.

I run a Home Health and Hospice company. We can only hire top notch RN's due to the high acuity of our patients. All of our nurses are the same way. They are a very special bread of person. Its inspiring.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Its offroading so yeah its dangerous but follow someone who knows how to lead in the dunes. Dont go duning by yourself. THe really crazy places are olds hill, the drags, sand highway can be a shit show as well and the flats. The nice thing about Glamis is you can get away from people in the dunes. The place is so big half the people that are there dont go in the dunes they just take the trails to the hot spots. Dont let anyone scare you off from experiencing it. On that note shit can happen anywhere and anytime. LAst trip last year on an off weekend I went up and over olds hit a big bowl and broke a spindle which sent the family and I over in our buggy.

So what you are saying is that it is exactly like Havasu.

1tonfun

Reaction score
Heading out Tuesday afternoon if work allows thru Sunday somewhere in washes between 10 and 15. Won't know till we get there. The new breed of SXS driver spend most of their time going from camp to the hill to the drags and back to camp. If you know where to go, you can still get some fun fast runs in on a big weekend away from most of the crowds. Avoid the hill and the drags and have a good time.

77charger

Reaction score
Heading out Tuesday afternoon if work allows thru Sunday somewhere in washes between 10 and 15. Won't know till we get there. The new breed of SXS driver spend most of their time going from camp to the hill to the drags and back to camp. If you know where to go, you can still get some fun fast runs in on a big weekend away from most of the crowds. Avoid the hill and the drags and have a good time.
exactly i put gecko,drags,olds,swingset and vendors on a map connect the dots and say this is the part to avoid!New breed of sxs needs driving lessons as well as parking lessons too.

DLC

Reaction score
Did they actually ever tow? It was always threatened but I never once heard of it happening. From what I understood they were always concerned about the liability, ie you tow something and someone was sleeping inside or the damage to things inside that were not secured since the owners were not planning on the rig being moved. Personally I think they should say tough shit, you were camped illegally, damage is your problem.

I agree tow it BITCHES !! Hook it Dano!

the damage would be huge with the jacks down & the tow bill would be outrageous ! They could do different enforcement!

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
My sincere thanks to your wife. She sounds like an amazing special lady.

Reactions: DLC

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I agree tow it BITCHES !! Hook it Dano!

the damage would be huge with the jacks down & the tow bill would be outrageous ! They could do different enforcement!

Just light em on fire like Portland and Seattle

Reactions: DLC

lavey jr

Reaction score
Ghost camping... I look at it as “oh well”... It’s been happening since the beginning of time and nothing has changed about it. People will still do it and it will continue to happen. Why is everyone all of a sudden concerned about it?

The whole “Glamis is crazy” is true depending how you go about things. It’s literally no different than Havasu. If it’s crazy busy in an area then park at a distance in a good viewing spot that you can stay away from the main hub of crazy drivers. While you’re driving have your head on a swivel and assume nobody is looking out for you. If you don’t want to be a part of the craziness then avoid the main attraction spots and just go out and ride where there is a ton less people, maybe even zero people if you just go out and ride where you don’t see evidence of people being around. With those three small pieces of advice it is by far the crazy that people tell everyone.

Many of the people I hear say “glamis is crazy” are typically the same people who will go to Havasu on a holiday weekend and hit all the main attraction spots and have zero problem with doings so. What makes Glamis so different than that? In my eyes, it’s no difference.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Sedona for us then onto Southern Utah. Did Glamis the past 2 T Days time to change it up.
Ghost camps at Glamis make finding a spot more difficult. Land barrons taping off vast camping sections doesn't help either. Ya gotta roll in early.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Ghost camping... I look at it as “oh well”... It’s been happening since the beginning of time and nothing has changed about it. People will still do it and it will continue to happen. Why is everyone all of a sudden concerned about it?

The whole “Glamis is crazy” is true depending how you go about things. It’s literally no different than Havasu. If it’s crazy busy in an area then park at a distance in a good viewing spot that you can stay away from the main hub of crazy drivers. While you’re driving have your head on a swivel and assume nobody is looking out for you. If you don’t want to be a part of the craziness then avoid the main attraction spots and just go out and ride where there is a ton less people, maybe even zero people if you just go out and ride where you don’t see evidence of people being around. With those three small pieces of advice it is by far the crazy that people tell everyone.

Many of the people I hear say “glamis is crazy” are typically the same people who will go to Havasu on a holiday weekend and hit all the main attraction spots and have zero problem with doings so. What makes Glamis so different than that? In my eyes, it’s no difference.

How long have you been going out there?

bagged97taco

Reaction score
We are here now and it’s pretty damn busy And I can’t count how many rzrs/can ams we’re out last night blasting the trumpet style music (if you get my drift)

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
What always amazes me about Glamis is no matter what time of night it is someone’s always out on a bike quad or rzr / buggy. I’ll get up at like 4 am to take a pee, walk out of the motorhome and you can hear someone on the pipe in the distance. Who’s tearing it up on a quad at 4 am? Alcohol has to be involved.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We are here now and it’s pretty damn busy And I can’t count how many rzrs/can ams we’re out last night blasting the trumpet style music (if you get my drift)
Wife and I refer to it as "circus music"...

Starting to think SxS's are the wake boat of the dunes...only there are a lot more of them.

Reactions: DWC

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Didn’t your wife just recently help with a car accident as well? She’s a freaking stud

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Glam is is off limits for us at work. Had two secretaries go out last weekend. They got covid, came to work, whole building and office got shut down. It sucks but I do like my job so I gotta do what I can.