WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

California pluses and minuses

RodnJen

Reaction score
BS........I don’t call out Mexicans or Central Americans for leaving their countries. I do call ”illegal immigrants“, specially those illegals that have no way to support themselves or come to this country & commit crimes. California supports “illegal Immigration”. More to the point, your California tax dollars support illegals. So......the 2/3 super majority Democrate politicians of California take your tax money, announce that California is a sanctuary state & millions of illegals vote for & support the the Democrate party.......brilliant politics by the Democrate party. The “Hood Winking” steams forward in California.
Before you call me a racist, my first wife was Mexican, I grew up in the culture. Fight on brother......

By that rational, Texas and Arizona would be free of illegal immigrants. We all know that's not the case.

badgas

Reaction score
If you listen to Some of these guys, you're totally missing the boat!

everything is proportional. if you move somewhere where you can buy a nice house for 100k, well, good luck earning a living! if you live somewhere where the houses start 1m, clearly there is money there to be had.

ca pluses? when I was younger, id snow ski snow summit in the morning, and be at work by 1pm. i can go trail ride my quads in the pines first thing in the morning, and be floating around my pool by noon. sports are everywhere. dodger/angel games are always fun. i can be at the beach, the mountains and the desert in less than an hours time. good food everywhere. stuff to do everywhere. i can go fishing, hiking, or rip around in my quad! I can do whatever I want.

Then there is the weather...

if you live in San Diego, you are probably in the best weather on the planet. and of course, the weather is what allows the homeless to congregate here! is it a problem? yes. is it my problem? no. they are no where near the places i frequently go.

now since half this board is older than dirt and just waiting to die, is ca a good place to retire? probably no. The taxes are a bit too high to be on a fixed income. But then again, if you HAD a good job, with great retirement planning, you probably don't give a damm! My best friend was a school teacher. His wife was a nurse. Their house is paid off and they Still make about 150k a year. Even Rod would approve of their plan.

So like with anything, life is what you make it to be. If your glass is half empty, it will be half empty no matter where you are at.

Or conversely, half full. ;)

How are those trail rides on quads around the house now ?

CA is very different place than it was in late 70's early 80's when I was growing up.

You are correct there is money to me made here. My point was that a young married couple needs to make $250,000 to have a nice single family starter home in OC that they can afford. Making the payment and affording it are two different things.

My glass if more than half full but I do worry about young kids having a quality life here.

stevesdcb

Reaction score
By that rational, Texas and Arizona would be free of illegal immigrants. We all know that's not the case.
It’s not rational........it’s a fact! California conducts their business a lot differently than Texas & Arizona. Apples & oranges Rod.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Yep. It’s a fact..Both AZ and TX are right to work for less states. ;):cool:

You’re not wrong but I never understood why that’s such a big deal for people. You either become The Man or you work for The Man.

You make people gobs of money and you’ll get to decide how much you make. I wouldn’t want it the other way around.

I’ve made myself a heap of money as well as others and it’s treated me well. That doesn’t change no matter where you go in the country.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
How are those trail rides on quads around the house now ?

CA is very different place than it was in late 70's early 80's when I was growing up.

You are correct there is money to me made here. My point was that a young married couple needs to make $250,000 to have a nice single family starter home in OC that they can afford. Making the payment and affording it are two different things.

My glass if more than half full but I do worry about young kids having a quality life here.

Exactly the same at they were then. Nothing has changed. Well, they did put in posts so the SxS's can't tear up the single track trails, but other than that, same same! (bout 45min from my house btw)

My daughter is going to USC. If she does what she want's, she will not be hurting for money. Her boyfriend just started at Edison for 80k a year. He's 22. He's not going to be hurting either.

The construction trades pay well. The studios pay Real well. There are lots of high paying jobs in SoCal. Weather you have a degree, or not.

You do have to be wiling to work though. I'm pretty sure that applies wherever you go?

Cdog

Reaction score
The ones that run and flee from CA because of politics or the homeless or whatever are the same ones that call out Mexicans or Central Americans for leaving their countries and immigrating to the US...Always saying “why don’t you stay and clean up your own country?” I’m staying in CA and fighting...

Except there are 49 other states in the union. You’re welcome to stay right there. Bless your heart.

badgas

Reaction score
Exactly the same at they were then. Nothing has changed. Well, they did put in posts so the SxS's can't tear up the single track trails, but other than that, same same! (bout 45min from my house btw)

My daughter is going to USC. If she does what she want's, she will not be hurting for money. Her boyfriend just started at Edison for 80k a year. He's 22. He's not going to be hurting either.

The construction trades pay well. The studios pay Real well. There are lots of high paying jobs in SoCal. Weather you have a degree, or not.

You do have to be wiling to work though. I'm pretty sure that applies wherever you go?

I agree you absolutely have to put in the work in order to win.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Interesting conversation with civil dialogue. Probably one of the best threads here in a while.
I even had to agree with Rod/jen on a few comments, which makes me damn near pathetic. LOL 😬

Imagine if our forefathers decided to run. The sacrifices those Families made, and yes Families is slowly being destroyed.

I'm a lover of my Country but a fighter when it comes to holding on to what was passed down from spilled blood, loss and ruin to many I never met but praise. I thank them every day.

RCDave

Reaction score
The thing i love most about kalifornia is how much the government confiscates from each paycheck, income source i have, etc. Feels great to donate so much of my money to awesome causes.

I also adore our Stalin-eske governor. Its amazing to sacrifice much of my freedom and liberty while he parties it up like a rock star on the back of my labor.

Kalifornistan is AWESOME!!!!

"Rodnjen"

Cdog

Reaction score
Interesting conversation with civil dialogue. Probably one of the best threads here in a while.
I even had to agree with Rod/jen on a few comments, which makes me damn near pathetic. LOL 😬

Imagine if our forefathers decided to run. The sacrifices those Families made, and yes Families is slowly being destroyed.

I'm a lover of my Country but a fighter when it comes to holding on to what was passed down from spilled blood, loss and ruin to many I never met but praise. I thank them every day.

This is exactly what our forefathers did. They left Europe to make a better life from oppressive monarchy/government. The settling of thee west then post WWII gens leaving the east coast to the land of milk and honey/California. Now that the carpet baggers turned most of CA into a shit stain people are on the march again.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
You’re not wrong but I never understood why that’s such a big deal for people. You either become The Man or you work for The Man.

You make people gobs of money and you’ll get to decide how much you make. I wouldn’t want it the other way around.

I’ve made myself a heap of money as well as others and it’s treated me well. That doesn’t change no matter where you go in the country.
Maybe it doesn’t apply to you. But in the construction trades it is a guideline for how much a worker is paid. There’s ways to check the prevailing wage in every state. But your right. Anybody can make their own wage.

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
This is exactly what our forefathers did. They left Europe to make a better life from oppressive monarchy/government. The settling of thee west then post WWII gens leaving the east coast to the land of milk and honey/California. Now that the carpet baggers turned most of CA into a shit stain people are on the march again.
Very fair assessment. But this land that we hold sacred is running out of room. I guess Alaska is the last bastion of low density population but I hate the cold. I might fit in with the long nights and seeing the stars again..

Cdog

Reaction score
Very fair assessment. But this land that we hold sacred is running out of room. I guess Alaska is the last bastion of low density population but I hate the cold. I might fit in with the long nights and seeing the stars again..

I can take you to an area of Prescott where you'll be in the pines away from all the mess but 10 minutes out of town. You just have to get away from the cities.

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
I can take you to an area of Prescott where you'll be in the pines away from all the mess but 10 minutes out of town. You just have to get away from the cities.
It won't be long and "Preskitt" will be over run.
What it was when I was a kid and what it is now is mind boggling. The good thing about AZ is all the Federal and State land protects the wilderness. I have a feeling that will change sooner than later. I've been wrong before. I love My home State but I hate how metrotopia is taking over.

Cdog

Reaction score
It won't be long and "Preskitt" will be over run.
What it was when I was a kid and what it is now is mind boggling. The good thing about AZ is all the Federal and State land protects the wilderness. I have a feeling that will change sooner than later. I've been wrong before. I love My home State but I hate how metrotopia is taking over.

Everything is going to blow out as the boomers retire. Then it will retract as they die off. There aren't enough Gen xers to buy the boomers mess when they pass, millennials are broke from paying college debt and like city life. The ones younger than them dont know if they want to be a girl or boy and they eat tide pods.

If you dont like the way it looks now just wait. LOL!

stevesdcb

Reaction score

I agree with a lot you have to say CJ. My goal or main concern at 58 yrs old is quality of life. I can still handle myself pretty well & take care of business if needed. The issue for me is that I don’t want to deal with to much BS or get caught in a situation so I tend to avoid certain areas & people. Earlier this year when BLM & Antifa were going off in Sacramento, I avoided going downtown or hot spots. F......g BLM shut down Interstate 5 a couple of times. Ass Holes were surrounding peoples cars, jumping on cars yelling “say his name”. Innocent people were getting assaulted. Politicians were doing nothing except telling LE to stand down. Shit was getting out of control.......I don’t need or want to live in that environment. I believe if Trump gets the Presidential election, there will be major rioting again in Sacramento. Combined with the political nonsense, homeless, traffic, etc, etc, I was at a point in my life I wanted a change & could afford it.

westair

Reaction score
Everything is going to blow out as the boomers retire. Then it will retract as they die off. There aren't enough Gen xers to buy the boomers mess when they pass, millennials are broke from paying college debt and like city life. The ones younger than them dont know if they want to be a girl or boy and they eat tide pods.

Interesting way to look at it and probably true ...... I should be able to pick up a nice 60's muscle car in a few years for cheap! .... millennials certainly have no use for them!!

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
I agree with a lot you have to say CJ. My goal or main concern at 58 yrs old is quality of life. I can still handle myself pretty well & take care of business if needed. The issue for me is that I don’t want to deal with to much BS or get caught in a situation so I tend to avoid certain areas & people. Earlier this year when BLM & Antifa were going off in Sacramento, I avoided going downtown or hot spots. F......g BLM shut down Interstate 5 a couple of times. Ass Holes were surrounding peoples cars, jumping on cars yelling “say his name”. Innocent people were getting assaulted. Politicians were doing nothing except telling LE to stand down. Shit was getting out of control.......I don’t need or want to live in that environment. I believe if Trump gets the Presidential election, there will be major rioting again in Sacramento. Combined with the political nonsense, homeless, traffic, etc, etc, I was at a point in my life I wanted a change & could afford it.
I can relate to situational awareness. I'm Ok but are others able to feel how I do.
I live about 40 miles from Downtown Chicago. The news won't even bother to warn us when shit is hitting the fan. I see your point and for many it should be well taken.

HBCraig

Reaction score

X 2.

If Trump ends up winning. the riots will be far worse than what we have seen before

Last edited:

X Hoser

Reaction score

Baby Boomers are retiring, (Me), but not downsizing like their parents did. Sentimental reasons?, homes paid off?, all of the above? Millienials have school debt, an education, some have jobs and didn't want anything to do with home ownership. But, they are changing their minds and now are entering the homeownership market. Crazy times! Wife and I want out of California but we raised our family here, kids all have great careers here and have given us 8 grandchildren. If we moved we would look at a state with no income tax, low property taxes and definitely a RED State! Our biggest hesitation is our family is unable to relocate at this time. Another factor is IF we moved and ever decided to return we could not afford to buy the house we currently live in. With that being said, we love our neighborhood, being close tour family, So Cal weather, proximity to everything, blah, blah, blah, so we are staying, for now.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Wait a minute, don’t you live somewhere in the Midwest north of the 45th parallel? It’s cold up there. 😂😝

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Bottom line, CA is not kicking my ass yet. My family, my friends, my career etc.. All here in Socal. The weather is actually a big deal to me too, I think if I lived in a cold climate I would be depressed.

dribble

Reaction score
If I lived in SoCal ir the Bay Area I would want out too. Up north we have

I had to go to Citrus Heights around that time and I heard that a BLM march was going to happen there. Since I have a CCW I went well armed. As I was driving down Greenback near Sunrise I came across the march. There were about fifty people, many of them children walking down the sidewalk, smiling, waving and holding up signs. None of them stepped off the sidewalk. They waited for the signal to change before crossing the street. The marchers waved at me and I waved back. Not in support of BLM but in support of their right to protest in a peaceful, friendly manner. Funny how a protest like this doesn’t make the news

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
The wife and I have been to Dewey(sp) twice to visit an old high school friend of my wife's and we could not believe we were only like 300 yards from home depot in the pines when over in Prescott and nobody in sight. That whole area near Prescott is beautiful in many ways.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Baby Boomers are retiring, (Me), but not downsizing like their parents did. Sentimental reasons?, homes paid off?, all of the above? Millienials have school debt, an education, some have jobs and didn't want anything to do with home ownership. But, they are changing their minds and now are entering the homeownership market. Crazy times! Wife and I want out of California but we raised our family here, kids all have great careers here and have given us 8 grandchildren. If we moved we would look at a state with no income tax, low property taxes and definitely a RED State! Our biggest hesitation is our family is unable to relocate at this time. Another factor is IF we moved and ever decided to return we could not afford to buy the house we currently live in. With that being said, we love our neighborhood, being close tour family, So Cal weather, proximity to everything, blah, blah, blah, so we are staying, for now.
That's one thing the wife's father made sure we understood when we told our folks we were leaving Calif. and going to Oregon in 92'. You will NEVER be able to come back once you get off the hamster wheel!!! He was right but we never had a second thought about going back to that shithole.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
"California is paradise! The 7th err 8th err 9th largest economy and the weather is great. Remind the peasants they need to obey me!" -Gavin Pondscum

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
badluck, if you are happy there, you should stay. Looks nice there.
Looks nice here, too.
I'm 2nd gen Californian and been on 12 acres of prime Sierra Foothills property for 45 years. I'm 62. From the house on top of the hill the view out the dining room window is clear across the north Sacramento valley, beyond the Sutter Buttes to the Coast Range about from where Hwy 20 runs into the mountains north about 100 miles depending on visibility. Elevation about 2000 ft. It has been a little slice of heaven for 40 years, but the crumbling culture around us is creeping in.
The last 8 homicides in this county have been directly related to the dope trade. Last week 7 gang bangers from Texaas showed up to by weed from a local grower with counterfeit currency, when the grower called them on it they shot him, he was taken off life support last week.
Now we get to pay for 7 homicide trials.

The problem, for me anyway, is all of the stuff you mentioned and then some.
If you are comfy there then stay. Moving is a big deal, not to be taken lightly. I wouldn't do it if if it was just a want deal, for me it is far beyond that.
The balance tipped for me a long time ago. The pros and cons of California have been discussed on here ad nauseum in 25 different threads, do a search and you will find all the info and discussion you could ever want.
Now we have government that supports the absolute chaos that is happening in our cities. Hard to come down off my mountain and take the wife to dinner and a night in San Francisco with the smell of human excrement on the streets, and what you see when you get off the 101 downtown.
It isn't these things alone, it is the fact that the fine folks in Sacramento don't want a solution. They just want more of my money. Have no intention of fixing a damn thing.

Seriously tho, if you are good with it then you should stay, reasons to leave should come from your own evaluation of the situation, IMHO. If it ever gets to where it is more than you can handle you will know it.
For me, I feel like a modern seismologist hanging around in Pompeii before the mountain went boom, knowing it was gonna happen and wanting to be long gone before it goes to hell in a hand basket. Like the guy who pointed out the emperor had no clothes in the children's parable.