WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chainsaw motor

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Kids up the street are looking for a chainsaw motor to put in an old electric scooter. Anyone looking to get rid of a chainsaw for cheap? Told the kids I would take them to get it if their dad wont.
got to support kids who still want to get their hands dirty.
We are in La Verne.
Thanks
Frank (909) 532-2581

4Waters

Reaction score
Don't have one but pic's of the project before and after at the very least. My buddies and I put a 3hp Briggs on a mongoose scooter 30 years ago

CSmith

Reaction score
I'm in havasu full time so not really the easiest for me but I'd be willing to purchase one for the kids. Can venmo cash or whatever. As long as we keep the budget reasonable of course and pics of finished product πŸ‘. Not very often you see kids willing to have a good time outdoors. Usually video games and electronic devices now a days.

rrrr

Reaction score
This is awesome. Instead of being glued to a smartphone or TV playing video games, the kids actually want to build something and see if it will run. Give them all the help they need, it'll be worth it and you'll get the karma benefit.

When I was 10, my dad gave me a 1Β½ HP engine from a small pump that didn't run anymore. I had been given a Visible V-8 for Christmas the previous year. I took it into his shop, found the right tools, tore the engine apart and put it back together, being careful to align the timing marks on the cam and crank gears. I wasn't exactly sure what they did, but figured they were supposed to match.

The engine popped a little but still wouldn't start. I took the glass bowl off of the fuel filter, dumped it out, cleaned the parts in gas, and reassembled it. After a couple of pulls, it fired up and ran. That started my interest in cars and engines. By the time I was twelve, I was tuning up and doing a brake job on my sister's '58 Bel Air. My Mom gave me a ride to the parts store to get the drums turned and buy the parts. 😁

Give those kids the help they need to realize their goal. It might ignite a lifelong passion in them.

πŸ‘

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
This place and people is the shiznit. I am going to show these posts for the boys. Not sure what their budget is but there dad is all for it also. Thank you all for your offers.
Pics when things get started.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😒
Reaction score
I'm in havasu full time so not really the easiest for me but I'd be willing to purchase one for the kids. Can venmo cash or whatever. As long as we keep the budget reasonable of course and pics of finished product πŸ‘. Not very often you see kids willing to have a good time outdoors. Usually video games and electronic devices now a days.
Let me know I’m in

Kbach

Reaction score
Kids up the street are looking for a chainsaw motor to put in an old electric scooter. Anyone looking to get rid of a chainsaw for cheap? Told the kids I would take them to get it if their dad wont.
We are in La Verne.
Thanks
Frank (909) 532-2581

We need more kids like this in the world. Good on ya for trying to chase down an engine for them.

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Bach it’s not just for them. If they want it then I want it. I’m ok as an adult. But I’m better at being a 55 year old kid. Besides who doesn’t need another project.

Attachments

• B6B724B6-6F58-47F2-991F-D40409D5AF3F.jpeg
    B6B724B6-6F58-47F2-991F-D40409D5AF3F.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 168

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
This is awesome. Instead of being glued to a smartphone or TV playing video games, the kids actually want to build something and see if it will run. Give them all the help they need, it'll be worth it and you'll get the karma benefit.

When I was 10, my dad gave me a 1Β½ HP engine from a small pump that didn't run anymore. I had been given a Visible V-8 for Christmas the previous year. I took it into his shop, found the right tools, tore the engine apart and put it back together, being careful to align the timing marks on the cam and crank gears. I wasn't exactly sure what they did, but figured they were supposed to match.

The engine popped a little but still wouldn't start. I took the glass bowl off of the fuel filter, dumped it out, cleaned the parts in gas, and reassembled it. After a couple of pulls, it fired up and ran. That started my interest in cars and engines. By the time I was twelve, I was tuning up and doing a brake job on my sister's '58 Bel Air. My Mom gave me a ride to the parts store to get the drums turned and buy the parts. 😁

Give those kids the help they need to realize their goal. It might ignite a lifelong passion in them.

πŸ‘

I had one of those models. The issue is that the castings were not that good. Once together it would not turn over. Had to wait until auto shop in high school before I could tear into a motor again. This time I was successful and rebuilt a head in a car that took me through high school.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Check out offer up I bought a cheap 2 stroke ryobi and it works for my little firewood adventures. I’d donate it but I use it often......

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
FU IRS didn’t see your post till now. We will take it. My ex-wife just moved to Nuevo. I will touch base next time someone is coming this way.

Any RDP express?

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
FU IRS didn’t see your post till now. We will take it. My ex-wife just moved to Nuevo. I will touch base next time someone is coming this way.

Any RDP express?
I'm picking my daughter up at Ontario Airport Tuesday evening sometime. I'm trying to confirm the time with her now, if that helps. Maybe we can meet by the airport somewhere ?

dribble

Reaction score
We need more kids like this in the world. Good on ya for trying to chase down an engine for them.

Yup. I had a group of 10 year olds ride up my driveway on their bikes to check out my motorcycles. Two of the kids were into the YZ 250f and the KTM but one said he really liked the Harley because it was old school. I wanted to adopt that kid. It took me back 50 years to when I was a kid and we’d ride up someone’s driveway on our Schwinn Stingrays to look at their cool motorcycles, cars, boats whatever.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Exciting to hear this .
Be sure to post up the build in progress .

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
IRS that would work for me. I work nights, but my son or daughter could always meet you. This place rocks.

BTW I showed this thread to the oldest and his dad. They thought it was awesome. πŸ‘πŸΎ

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🀣🀣
Reaction score
THREAD OF THE YEAR!!

I absolutely love this thread, @Tio Pancho @F.U.IRS I'm glad to see some peeps willing to help some kids out.. kind of a breath of fresh air for 2020.

If I was closer I'd have offered up one of my saws for this!

What are they going to use for sprocket/chain? Or is it direct drive?

I'm all in on this one, in my wheelhouse for sure!. Keep us updated! And if you need more parts let us know. I have a ton of crap and willing to ship to support this!

Let's see if we(RDP) can donate enough parts and knowledge to EARN a name on this scooter! Hell maybe RD can even slip them some stickers!!

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
Cool deal to see this come together.
I have an old 6000 watt generator that quit make elec. But the eng. Ran fine at the time. It's very similar to a vanguard eng. It's approx 6hp I believe? And twin cyl? I put it on a shelf to use someday as a go cart eng. Or sumptin. Someday ain't ever gunna get here. It's free to anyone that want's it. I could use the shelf space. Post here or pm me and we'll make arraingements.
20201122_151857.jpg
i

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
I had one of those models. The issue is that the castings were not that good. Once together it would not turn over. Had to wait until auto shop in high school before I could tear into a motor again. This time I was successful and rebuilt a head in a car that took me through high school.

The molds were probably in better shape when I got mine in 1967. 😁

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Wzuber that’s very cool. Hope someone can use it.
Just wanna race thanks for the support. I am pretty tight with these kids. Just like I had a guy on my block that let me help him work on his roadster when I was a kid.

I love doing this. Will definitely be reaching out to the brain trust for some engineering help when needed.
I’ll post pics when this thing gets off the ground.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
At the thought of being hated, I would recomend just a killer upgrade to the electric motor, controllers,batteries etc.
I love the thought of burning fuel but for a little scooter with proper controls on a DC motor to me it makes More sense.
At that thought. A 20+ lbs gas motor seems like a little overkill.
I would say anything Echo under 30 cc's would be a good compact fit. Quiet, easy starting and very reliable. Anything over 40 cc's seems a bit much on a scooter for kids unless they live in the mountains. I wish I was closer. I have a few chainsaws that I would donate and set up a clutch for a 05T Chain.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
At the thought of being hated, I would recomend just a killer upgrade to the electric motor, controllers,batteries etc.
I love the thought of burning fuel but for a little scooter with proper controls on a DC motor to me it makes More sense.
At that thought. A 20+ lbs gas motor seems like a little overkill.
I would say anything Echo under 30 cc's would be a good compact fit. Quiet, easy starting and very reliable. Anything over 40 cc's seems a bit much on a scooter for kids unless they live in the mountains. I wish I was closer. I have a few chainsaws that I would donate and set up a clutch for a 05T Chain.

Blasphemy! You lock that shit up.

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Karlsson although I understand where you’re coming from, not so much about results. It’s a journey.

Aside from that I am a fossil fuel junkie. I’m going to have a sign made for my garage that says this garage converts money into noise.
And addition the thought of going electric would be a kin to me going vegan. Ain't gonna happen. 😁😁

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Fa house thank you so much. I will show this to the boys tomorrow. You guys are all the best. Thank you for the props, but this thread was about the boys. I am simply paying forward what was done for me. RDP doesn’t always SUX. 😁

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
IRS that would work for me. I work nights, but my son or daughter could always meet you. This place rocks.

BTW I showed this thread to the oldest and his dad. They thought it was awesome. πŸ‘πŸΎ

Daughter lands at 10:20, so maybe I can meet somebody around 10 PM on Archibald north of the 10 Fwy. I think there's a Bakers or AM/PM there. If not we'll work something else out

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
We are in La Verne.
Thanks
Frank (909) 532-2581
Do these kids want a project ? It turns over needs a kick starter a seat a air box , one of my projects I’m not going to get to I can bring it back when I go home Tuesday I’ll be back the 30th to Santa Clarita they can have it πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘ 73 Suzuki TM250 , I know it would start new plug,fuel carb cleaner
D4885C8C-9862-42CF-A320-1E575F586F7E.jpeg
401FB5CA-0120-4675-B49C-C51F9220192A.jpeg
9E61ED99-4FFB-42E5-9087-079B57D76C2E.jpeg
037F8E4A-85F3-4D3B-8AF1-C4F846BA3BE3.jpeg

rrrr

Reaction score
Do these kids want a project ? It turns over needs a kick starter a seat a air box , one of my projects I’m not going to get to I can bring it back when I go home Tuesday I’ll be back the 30th to Santa Clarita they can have it πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘ 73 Suzuki TM250 , I know it would start new plug,fuel carb cleaner View attachment 945218 View attachment 945219 View attachment 945220 View attachment 945221

This is more like it. Kids need to learn about dermal abrasion and broken tibias too.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
This is more like it. Kids need to learn about dermal abrasion and broken tibias too.
I had one these are death traps and the 400 was crazy fast with 3” of travel πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž

Last edited:

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
T&B yes they will take it. I am not going to ask your dad because I know what the answer will be. 😁
They can keep it at my house. I am bringing up my grandson the same way. No punk bitch kids here They can keep it at my house. I am bringing up my grandson the same way. No punk bitch kids here

Attachments

• 97CB821B-AC5C-4D18-B914-3C9936C828E2.jpeg
    97CB821B-AC5C-4D18-B914-3C9936C828E2.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 176
  • C65B7663-919F-409B-8475-A44576506A21.jpeg
    C65B7663-919F-409B-8475-A44576506A21.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 79E90D05-1318-4C9A-9A43-48A4507F3202.jpeg
    79E90D05-1318-4C9A-9A43-48A4507F3202.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 167ED030-9D45-4DE5-9A1A-6671950E1B49.jpeg
    167ED030-9D45-4DE5-9A1A-6671950E1B49.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3773.MOV
    22.7 MB

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
T&B yes they will take it. I am not going to ask your dad because I know what the answer will be. 😁
They can keep it at my house. I am bringing up my grandson the same way. No punk bitch kids here They can keep it at my house. I am bringing up my grandson the same way. No punk bitch kids here
πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘ I’ll bring it back on 30 th I will want build pictures 😎 restored right 5000$ put it on next project , c ya soon

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘ I’ll bring it back on 30 th I will want build pictures 😎 restored right 5000$ put it on next project , c ya soon

Nice job T&B! If you need any help getting it to SoCal, hit me up. I'll be in STG Tuesday to Sunday (Staying at Ledges) with my enclosed car hauler and can shuttle it back here if you need the help. You got my number, or DM.

RaceTec

Reaction score
If any of you guys ever want to bring your kids that are interested in this kind of stuff by the shop hit me up and I could give you guys a tour of the shop and send them home with a piston or something. We need to keep kids interested in this stuff!!!

rrrr

Reaction score
If any of you guys ever want to bring your kids that are interested in this kind of stuff by the shop hit me up and I could give you guys a tour of the shop and send them home with a piston or something. We need to keep kids interested in this stuff!!!

Solid! Kids would love to see the magic of manufacturing. I still remember the trip to the Coke bottling plant with my Cub Scout den when I was 10.

Last edited:

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
Nice job T&B! If you need any help getting it to SoCal, hit me up. I'll be in STG Tuesday to Sunday (Staying at Ledges) with my enclosed car hauler and can shuttle it back here if you need the help. You got my number, or DM.

might need your help getting it to calif they just sent me to GrandRapids on to 29 th to the 12-8 I’ll call you Wednesday πŸ‘