WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Eliminator 27 speedster, 400’s

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I ordered a new 27 Speedster to replace the one I sold earlier this year. Except this time I went with twin 400’s rather than an IO.

Based upon my observations watching the twin 400’s run it seems like the logical choice. Plus the 400’s look turn key and that’s a big plus for me now. The OB’s actually make the boat about a foot longer than the IO.

The reasons I didn’t order the 400’s in 2017 was they were a new unproven motor at that time and the boat runs a lot faster with them than I really wanted to go. (keep in mind that insurance cost is rated to speed) Ironically I now view them as the more reliable option. But I still will not go more than 100 mph very often. I am gonna miss the sound of the big V8 but you cannot argue with the sheer performance of the 400’s.

Another neat feature is EB extends the passenger area by shortening the hatch which gives the rear passengers more leg room. They also flatten the engine hatch so it’s easier to exit the rear of the boat which we do a lot.

Another cool thing is EB is now infusing the boat which nets quite a bit of weight savings due to the reduction in resin used over wet lamination. (see the bagged pictures)

I always like the way the 27 handles so I stuck with it rather than going up in size. I felt good with the same stable feel I had on the prior 27. Plus with my new storage I am somewhat limited on size.

The colors are going to be very similar to last boat. Going with a big stereo like the last one. Most interesting part is when all is said and done the price between the two is similar. Go figure.

It came out of the mold already and they are working on the half cap now. The pictures are kinda crappy and the colors are not finished and buffed out so they are not shiney yet.

Well due to the COVID I have NOT to seen the boat until now. I only got a couple pictures that were sent to me earlier this summer that I am sharing now. I took the last two pictures this weekend as they are finishing the half cap now.

I hope to take delivery by winter. I am gonna road trip there as soon as it emerges from cut n buff.

Well I figured I didn’t learn my lesson last time about buying fancy boats, so I am doubling down on stupid. Take 2.

06AFD389-DD52-4667-BE9C-2C9A997E4864.jpeg
79D7BE6C-EB6E-4D42-9301-A21B67B8363D.jpeg
82F1224E-9291-4DC9-9379-E545CB8EE10A.jpeg
E82ABFF2-83AF-49AC-A598-F818FFCA63B5.jpeg
F96D5EB4-D9F2-42F2-B1FE-72DB8CF9AACB.jpeg
A72F4EE9-1CCE-498F-85A0-9DD269177CD1.jpeg
3AA9E700-8EF8-4076-80F5-51FB3F00C4D1.jpeg
D4BDB4A6-51E0-4B27-AE86-46CE4C7DA4F5.jpeg
6A361BC8-225D-45A3-BF00-6DD1E2C0ABF7.jpeg
80D1A640-40D9-4446-AA33-D2C837E709B8.jpeg

Attachments

• 7F46875A-FA34-4722-B24B-34EE0B7F6F60.jpeg
    7F46875A-FA34-4722-B24B-34EE0B7F6F60.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I ordered a new 27 Speedster to replace the one I sold earlier this year. Except this time I went with twin 400’s rather than an IO.

Based upon my observations watching the twin 400’s run it seems like the logical choice. Plus the 400’s look turn key and that’s a big plus for me now. The OB’s actually make the boat about a foot longer than the IO.

The reasons I didn’t order the 400’s in 2017 was they were a new unproven motor at the time and the boat runs a lot faster than with them than I really wanted to go. Lol (keep in mind that insurance cost is rated to speed) Ironically I now view them as the more reliable option. But I still will not go more than 100 mph very often. I am gonna miss the sound of the big V8 but you cannot argue with the sheer performance of the 400’s.

Another neat feature is EB extends the passenger area by shortening the hatch which gives the rear passengers more leg room. They also flatten the engine hatch so it’s easier to exit the rear of the boat which we do a lot.

Another cool thing is EB is now infusing the boat which nets quite a bit of weight savings due to the reduction in resin used over wet lamination. (see the bagged pictures)

I always like the way the 27 handles so I wanted the same stable feel I had on the prior boat.

The colors are going to be very similar to last boat. Going with a big stereo like the last one.

It came out of the mold already and they are working on the half cap now. The pictures are kinda crappy and the colors are not finished and buffed out so they are not shiney yet.

Well due to the COVID I have NOT to seen the boat until now. I only got a couple pictures that were sent to me earlier this summer that I am sharing now. I took the last two pictures this weekend as they are finishing the half cap now.

I hope to take delivery by winter.

Well I figured I didn’t learn last time so I am doubling down. Take 2.

Looks familiar!

Here’s to wishing you NONE of the drama you endured with your last boat.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the 400R’s, but have you considered 300R’s? I just read where the 340X MTI test boat ran 115 with 300R’s and 122 with 400R’s. If absolute top speed isn’t your concern, with 300R’s you’d get 9.2L’s of twin V-8 rumble that runs on 87 octane fuel and is closed loop O2 controlled, where the 400R’s are a total of 5.2L’s of supercharged fun requiring 91 octane fuel and no closed loop O2. Just a thought.

If I was a betting man, I’d guess the cruise economy of those V-8 300R’s is pretty impressive.

No matter which you choose will sound good at speed, just a matter of personal preference and budget.

Good luck with your build, I’ll be following.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
We talked about the 300’s and that is also a good option. One can’t go wrong with either engine. Both have pros and cons.

I am really deferring to EB on this issue. They recommend 400’s for several reasons. So this time I am listening to their good advice.

They have a 300 boat at the shop now. They claim the 400 has more midrange punch too.

But those 300’s have a nice V8 rumble but since the exhaust goes thru the prop hub it is somewhat muted.

I do have access to 91 where I boat.

That was my problem last time. All of my problems on the last one would have been avoided if I had just followed their advice. Not making that mistake again.

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
Nice! Awesome boat looking forward to watching the build!

renodaytona

Reaction score
Congrat's on the new build!!!
I'm very interested to see how you like it compared to the I/O.

Joe mama

Reaction score
There was a lot of EB Speedsters running around this weekend along with the DCB’s. The outboards are so nice, kinda stealth when they are heading towards you. I hope to have one someday, hope the outboard i get isn’t on a 14’ tracker. But you do have a point the big IO’s make you snap your neck when you hear them coming. Congrats on a sweet ride.

Reactions: DWC

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
We talked about the 300’s and that is also a good option. One can’t go wrong with either engine.

I am really deferring to EB on this issue. They recommend 400’s for several reasons. So this time I am listening to their good advice.

They have a 300 boat at the shop now. They claim the 400 has more midrange punch too.

But those 300’s have a nice V8 rumble but since the exhaust goes thru the prop hub it is somewhat muted.

That was my problem last time. All of my problems on the last one would have been avoided if I had just followed their advice.

Sounds like you discussed it and have chosen a path.

Good luck on your journey. I know I thoroughly enjoy the 400R on my old school Eliminator.

47058E06-EC58-4CA1-9E59-449FBFBA2A03.jpeg

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I still like the big old American V8 sound and am gonna miss it. But the OB boats haul ass.

It will be hard to hear that old tired cranky slow poke Grads complaining about OB’s while going that fast. It gets loud at speed. ;)

Looking forward to doing some laps of the delta with the delta mob.

I think I will go buy a C8 when I am done to get that V8 sound in my life.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
We talked about the 300’s and that is also a good option. One can’t go wrong with either engine. Both have pros and cons.

I do have access to 91 where I boat.

That was my problem last time. All of my problems on the last one would have been avoided if I had just followed their advice. Not making that mistake again.
Screw it, Dave.
Go twin 450’s😎
V8 rumble, mid range punch, problems solved. 👍😇

skydog

Reaction score
Wow so so sweet!! Cant wait to see more!!!!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
There was a lot of EB Speedsters running around this weekend along with the DCB’s. The outboards are so nice, kinda stealth when they are heading towards you. I hope to have one someday, hope the outboard i get isn’t on a 14’ tracker. But you do have a point the big IO’s make you snap your neck when you hear them coming. Congrats on a sweet ride.

I saw the twin 300 boat a couple of times. Looked really good.

Joe mama

Reaction score
There was a bitchen M29 with a couple 300XS (guessing) running around also bad ass boat. Grey Goose 29 always nice to see making the rounds.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
There’s been a few. You talking about the blue/black one?
Or the white with blue/gray, lime pins?
I’m sort of suprised more people don’t opt for the twin 300 package?
Now sure I suggested Dave step up to 450’s, but that’s his money😂

If I had Dave’s money I’d get twin 450’s with 300 cowls over them 😎
And a big hit of nitrous on the ready. Set on mild hit, and a set on kill second stage 😎🤷‍♂️😇

Done-it-again

Reaction score
There’s been a few. You talking about the blue/black one?
Or the white with blue/gray, lime pins?
I’m sort of suprised more people don’t opt for the twin 300 package?
Now sure I suggested Dave step up to 450’s, but that’s his money😂

If I had Dave’s money I’d get twin 450’s with 300 cowls over them 😎
And a big hit of nitrous on the ready. Set on mild hit, and a set on kill second stage 😎🤷‍♂️😇
Blue black, really was sharp. Just thought EB would have more press about them. Maybe I missed it.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Yore like the gubment :p

great spender of other people’s money!!

Here is the part where you mention that I wasted enough money in the last fiasco that would cover the cost of the 450’s.:p
Yore like the gubment :p

great spender of other people’s money!!

Here is the part where you mention that I wasted enough money in the last fiasco that would cover the cost of the 450’s.:p
Hey man.
Don’t put words in my mouth.
I said I’d have 450’s with a big hit of nitrous.😂👍

Doc

2022 32 Doug Wright
Reaction score
If you don't care about top speed run 32 pitch 5 blade merc cleavers. That thing will snap really good and you'll enjoy it! Congrats on build!

DWC

Reaction score
We parked next to a family that had a 25’ speedster and OB toon in the channel on Friday. They brought out the other 25’ Saturday. Badass stable.

RCDave

Reaction score
Congratulations DC. I can imagine the smile on your face when you take delivery of this boat.

The heart aches with the motor on the last boat is in the past

stingray11

Reaction score
You will love twins on a boat, especially when you are around docks docking you can maneuver that boat so well by forwarding one engine reversing the other you can spin around in its own length and you do not have to touch the steering wheel. Forward or backwards.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

lenmann

Reaction score
You will love twins on a boat, especially when you are around docks docking you can maneuver that boat so well by forwarding one engine reversing the other you can spin around in its own length and you do not have to touch the steering wheel. Forward or backwards.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I this true for a cat this big? I understand the theory of using the sticks on twin engines to move the boat in small spaces but have always wondered if it applies/works on this kinda of boat.

I had a Mach 22 with twin 280's and tried it, but the 280's idle pretty fast and don't really like shifting much so it didn't work worth a damn. Super fun boat in the open, around the dock not so much. Ended up driving like a flat/v-drive, leave it in gear and start and stop the motor around the dock and ramp.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score

The reasons I didn’t order the 400’s in 2017 was they were a new unproven motor at that time and the boat runs a lot faster with them than I really wanted to go. (keep in mind that insurance cost is rated to speed) Ironically I now view them as the more reliable option. But I still will not go more than 100 mph very often. I am gonna miss the sound of the big V8 but you cannot argue with the sheer performance of the 400’s.

I always like the way the 27 handles so I stuck with it rather than going up in size. I felt good with the same stable feel I had on the prior 27. Plus with my new storage I am somewhat limited on size.

The colors are going to be very similar to last boat. Going with a big stereo like the last one. Most interesting part is when all is said and done the price between the two is similar. Go figure.

I hope to take delivery by winter. I am gonna road trip there as soon as it emerges from cut n buff.

Well I figured I didn’t learn my lesson last time about buying fancy boats, so I am doubling down on stupid. Take 2.

View attachment 929120 View attachment 929121 View attachment 929124 View attachment 929125 View attachment 929126 View attachment 929128 View attachment 929129 View attachment 929130 View attachment 929133 View attachment 929135
Happy to see you back in the game after that horrendous experience with engine in the last boat.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I have seen how the twin screw thing helps maneuvers on bigger ocean going boats. Being able to turn while not moving is cool

I am looking forward to trying it on this twin engine boat

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I have seen how the twin screw thing helps maneuvers on bigger ocean going boats. Being able to turn while not moving is cool

I am looking forward to trying it on this twin engine boat

It’s nice around the docks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I this true for a cat this big? I understand the theory of using the sticks on twin engines to move the boat in small spaces but have always wondered if it applies/works on this kinda of boat.

I had a Mach 22 with twin 280's and tried it, but the 280's idle pretty fast and don't really like shifting much so it didn't work worth a damn. Super fun boat in the open, around the dock not so much. Ended up driving like a flat/v-drive, leave it in gear and start and stop the motor around the dock and ramp.

Yes they do, if anything it’s easier the bigger it is to a point. I know at 33 in a cat you can put that boat in a space two inches wider than the boat.

lenmann

Reaction score
Really looks great! Hope to see you up on Shasta next summer.

skydog

Reaction score
It looks awesome, we where just there! Saw your boat!! Super awesome congratulations!!!

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Nice. I think I saw you but figured you were working on the 30. Or that Gel that was plaid.

We didn’t get to meet. Thx for the help.

My son and I were there for a while, checking things out, going over details. I think we worked out the final details. I hope. Lol

We were actually discussing the wiring that was in the way and adding more speakers. Lol

So much goes into these boats. So many details. It’s like a miracle getting it all together.

Saw you there the other day👍
In your 4th pic I’m in the background making the wire harness for your boat😎

skydog

Reaction score
Nice. I think I saw you but figured you were working on the 30. Or that Gel that was plaid.

We didn’t get to meet. Thx for the help.

My son and I were there for a while, checking things out, going over details. I think we worked out the final details. I hope. Lol

We were actually discussing the wiring that was in the way and adding more speakers. Lol

So much goes into these boats. So many details. It’s like a miracle getting it all together.
For sure right!! Just incredible work Jake and the crew are doing!!!!

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Let’s hope he doesn’t break a prop shaft and lose a $5,000 cleaver that mercury won’t warranty. Read some of the stuff in the outboard church thread.

He is the secretary of the OB Church, he’s well aware!

skydog

Reaction score
Let’s hope he doesn’t break a prop shaft and lose a $5,000 cleaver that mercury won’t warranty. Read some of the stuff in the outboard church thread.

Aaaahhhh they will be good!!! Worse case update the shafts first and definitely depends how and where he is going to fly her!! Still light years ahead of all the inbourd maintenance/problems. Now back to this beautiful boat!!! Wowowowow 🥰🥰🥰🥰

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I was just talking about these props. And possible alternatives.

Lets get something straight right now. We are not breaking and losing anything. Those cleavers are expensive :oops:

I might run some Max 5’s as backups.

I was told the new 400’s have a new updated shaft and I will get those. Hopefully that helps.

We also discussed my driving style at EB and they mentioned my less than aggressive driving style will help greatly. I understand some who have problems are animals. Lol

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I was just talking about these props. And possible alternatives.

Lets get something straight right now. We are not breaking and losing anything. Those cleavers are expensive :oops:

I might run some Max 5’s as backups.

I was told the new 400’s have a new updated shaft and I will get those. Hopefully that helps.

We also discussed my driving style at EB and they mentioned my less than aggressive driving style will help greatly. I understand some who have problems are animals. Lol

Allow me to help you:
You will ONLY be running Mercury brand props at ALL times while under warranty. You will have receipts to prove you ONLY run Merc props.

The upgraded shafts supposedly help but they are still the weak point. Getting on plane seems to be the hardest part.

Beautiful new sled, can't wait to run with you

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Allow me to help you:
You will ONLY be running Mercury brand props at ALL times while under warranty. You will have receipts to prove you ONLY run Merc props.

The upgraded shafts supposedly help but they are still the weak point. Getting on plane seems to be the hardest part.

Exactly!!
Save those Max5 props for after the warranty is up and you have the nitrous kits installed 😎

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Capice. ;) ONLY had mercy props on it. Noted!!!

On a side note I was talking to EB about some changes they were making to get the boat to plane faster. I am not sure of the exact affect of the changes but they supposedly help.

As they explain it to me they have been looking at how the water comes off the back of the boat and drags on the jack plate and engine covers while planing and are working to reduce that drag.

Two examples; they put a plate on the side of the jack plate to stop water from getting in between the plate and hull and causing drag.

One change they made on my hull is they sharpened the rear edge so it’s not so rounded. Rounded causes water to turn towards the motor/plate causing drag. A straight hull cause the water to go away from theses parts causing less drag.

Allow me to help you:

Last edited: