WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone ever sell a car and the guy never picks it up?

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
I sold a 66 Impala Convertible. The guy lives in Florida. He sends two goons to look at it. They give me part of the money in cash. They then say we will be back in two days with the rest of the money. Two days later they show up in the same clothes. they have a story that the one guy flew from Philly to Atlanta to get the rest of the money...I'm like you guys do shit the hard way. So this was three months ago. I have messaged the dummy in Florida a number of times. He always has an excuse. At one point he wanted me to take it to an address in Philly. Not going to happen. Wanted to pay with Venmo. Im not sure what that even is? So it sits here. I finally put it outside. I think the guy is an IDIOT!!! I'd like to just block him and really put his ass in a panic.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
Sounds crazy, guy must not be hitting on all cylinders.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I sold a 66 Impala Convertible. The guy lives in Florida. He sends two goons to look at it. They give me part of the money in cash. They then say we will be back in two days with the rest of the money. Two days later they show up in the same clothes. they have a story that the one guy flew from Philly to Atlanta to get the rest of the money...I'm like you guys do shit the hard way. So this was three months ago. I have messaged the dummy in Florida a number of times. He always has an excuse. At one point he wanted me to take it to an address in Philly. Not going to happen. Wanted to pay with Venmo. Im not sure what that even is? So it sits here. I finally put it outside. I think the guy is an IDIOT!!! I'd like to just block him and really put his ass in a panic.
I had it happen,...guy gave 5k and was coming back next day.... never heard a word back, that was lik 15 yrs ago,.. I figured he went to prison or such, I figure any time he will come looking for his money when he gets out...if he never come back, i'll keep it,... but if he does, I'll give it to him... who knows ,many he got killed in a car crash...for you,... I would just return the deposit, and move on..or sell the car and give him his part,,soon as you said impala I figure you don't want the trouble

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
is it fully paid for at this point? If not Re list it. Not your problem. I sold a truck years back guy never paid balance.
I picked it up at job site while he was working and re sold the truck

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Block him. Relist 4 sale where he will see it!
fine print. 30 days, no refunds

Reaction score
Venmo is a PayPal company. as long as you got your money first I can't see an issue. maybe not annoy a guy who has "Goons" working for him...

Magic Mike

Reaction score
About 10 years ago I sold 3 cars as a package on EBay for $10,500. A guy in Brazil bought them and wired the money. A truck was supposed to pick them up within a month. Don’t hear from the guy for 6 months and I need the space, after a few emails I told him get them picked up or I need $150 per month to store them. I also offered to send them to the shipper of his choice if he would pay for the car carrier. Another 6 months goes by and the guy shows up out of the blue at our business, looks at the cars and gives me $900 for storage. Says a truck is going to pick them up. Another 6 months goes by, I tell him he owes another $900 and get his cars out of here. Never hear from him again, did a lien sale after another couple months with no response. Sold them on Ebay to another guy for $10,000, he picked them right up.
I don’t know if the guy from Brazil passed away or what, never heard another word from him.

ssc

Reaction score
I will try to keep it short. Have a "friend." The only time I hear from him is because he wants something. Unfortunately he married my cousin, so he is Family. Usually he wanted free legal advice. We all know someone like him. Never returns your call, but when he wants something it is non stop phone calls, messages, emails, etc. You also know that once he gets you on the phone, you are stuck for at least an hour.

So, the last time I spoke to him (it has been a few years now) He tells me he bought a motorcycle and when he went to pick it up, the seller told him it was gone and to piss off. After he rambles on for an hour, I interrupt him and tell him to shut up. I ask him a few questions. Was it a private seller. He tells me he saw the MC at a garage sale and paid $50 for some old little mini bike thing. I asked him why didn't you take it. He says I had to go get my truck, but I got busy so I told him I would be by in a bit. Then I asked him how long was a bit? Answer: 8 years.

I told him what I thought of him and to never call me again. I also told him it was obvious he had fried his brains with drugs and booze and to get into rehab. So, they are among us.

Cheers, Steve

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I had a new roof put on. Insurance paid me for it as it was storm damage. Guy comes out and does a great job replacing the roof. Never got a bill or heard from him again. So...I got a lot of money, the work and that was it. I was worried when i sold the place there would be a lien on the property. Nothing.

unbelievable

EPL

Reaction score
Someone i know sold a car to a guy for 75K at Kool April Nights up here in Northern California . The gave him a check and said when it cleared call him and he would come pick the car up , that was 6 years ago . Check cleared he called the guy and has never heard from him again and still has the car ??

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I had a new roof put on. Insurance paid me for it as it was storm damage. Guy comes out and does a great job replacing the roof. Never got a bill or heard from him again. So...I got a lot of money, the work and that was it. I was worried when i sold the place there would be a lien on the property. Nothing.

unbelievable
Insurance fucked up or he did...
Had a friend that 30 years ago had some property damage from a storm and insurance had paid both so it wasn't an issue for either party.

4Waters

Reaction score
Someone i know sold a car to a guy for 75K at Kool April Nights up here in Northern California . The gave him a check and said when it cleared call him and he would come pick the car up , that was 6 years ago . Check cleared he called the guy and has never heard from him again and still has the car ??
Wish I had enough money that I could forget about 75k without worry.

707dog

Reaction score
well let's see that 66 impala whats the ticket on it maybe ill finish paying you what the guy didn't, tell him its in storage and give him my # ill take care of the rest.

707dog

Reaction score
@EPL on another note: the guy who is painting my camaro for me has a 2 owner 66 vert corvette all #'s matching 4 speed which got dropped off with a 5k cash to get a refresh on the paint . the car has been done for 6 years and has not heard from the guy no contact # works, internet search with no results for him or to see if he died. i am trying hard to get my buddy to do a lien on it so we can find the guy somehow get his car back to him or a family member. we have asked all the car heads from our area nobody knows him or the car🤷‍♂️ i know i sure as hell would be missing a car like that.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Any paperwork change hands? If not, it's still your car and any money's you received was a tip. Sell it again, or keep it.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score

My opinion is, try to reach the guy and give the money back. If you can't reach him, set the money aside. If He has the ability to send 2 Goons, there very well could be some element of organized crime. Tell him you need to sell the car, so he needs to complete the transaction, or you need to return the money and sell the car to someone else. Tell him you need the money (hopefully to soften things up).

I speak from experience of dealing with the 2 Goons scenario in a financial transaction that went south. It wasn't pretty, but I got it resolved after several weeks.

Sent From Tapatalk

Last edited:

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
@EPL on another note: the guy who is painting my camaro for me has a 2 owner 66 vert corvette all #'s matching 4 speed which got dropped off with a 5k cash to get a refresh on the paint . the car has been done for 6 years and has not heard from the guy no contact # works, internet search with no results for him or to see if he died. i am trying hard to get my buddy to do a lien on it so we can find the guy somehow get his car back to him or a family member. we have asked all the car heads from our area nobody knows him or the car🤷‍♂️ i know i sure as hell would be missing a car like that.

In riverside?

Dansblown73Nordic

Reaction score
Ok so car is paid in full. In NY vehicles are not titled until 1973. It only has a registration. I gave Goon A and Goon B the registration with a receipt. I also gave them the keys. Car doesn't even run. Hasn't run in 25 years. He is very well aware of this. He says the doesn't run part is the problem. I told him just get a truck here. I have plenty of equipment to get it loaded. I'm sure i'm definitely dealing with a Trouser Trout. He asked me if the GOON'S could tow it with a chain to FLORIDA....IT IS A 1000 MILES!!!! IDIOTS!!!!

4Waters

Reaction score
Ok so car is paid in full. In NY vehicles are not titled until 1973. It only has a registration. I gave Goon A and Goon B the registration with a receipt. I also gave them the keys. Car doesn't even run. Hasn't run in 25 years. He is very well aware of this. He says the doesn't run part is the problem. I told him just get a truck here. I have plenty of equipment to get it loaded. I'm sure i'm definitely dealing with a Trouser Trout. He asked me if the GOON'S could tow it with a chain to FLORIDA....IT IS A 1000 MILES!!!! IDIOTS!!!!
You should have said yes, then the tow police would have something to talk about🤣

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I sold a motorcycle that was never picked up after the new owner payed cash for it. Nice couple, drove down from Seattle, did the test drive thing, had lunch with us, took pictures, looked at pictures of our trips on the bike, said they were staying the night with friends and would be back in the morning. Put the title and paperwork in helmet trunk and they were off like little kids on Christmas. No show the next day. Call his phone, left a message, no show. Called her phone, left a message, no show. Sitting down for dinner that night and the 5:00 news, the lead story is, shootout with police last night ends with two arrested and charged with attempted murder. Guess who's mugshot came up on the screen? I kept the bike until spring and the police department was having a fund raiser for two new dogs. I took the bike down to them with all the signed paperwork. The title was signed and dated with both our names and addresses. Along with the newspaper clipping and said it was just right that they benefit from it. The DA called me within an hour and said they would seize the bike to clear the title along with any other problems that may come knocking on my door, I could keep the cash. They sent me two sweatshirts with pictures of the two German Shepherds on it. Goes to show you, you really don't know who you are letting into your house.

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score

Do you know if the guy was a almond Farmer?

AmyoVs

Reaction score
There was a case when the guy made a mistake and gave more for the car than was in the ad.

2Driver

Reaction score
I learned a long time ago never to take partial payment or a deposit.

When they have the money it’s theirs, until then it’s for sale. I’ve done a courtesy hold with a full understanding its for a set number of day/s, but still wouldn’t take a deposit.

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Not a fan of Venmo. Somehow I lost $500 on a truck I sold a few months back. Venmo says, we sent you the money, they send an electronic receipt, then say, money will land in your account in a few days, never landed. Venmo blames the bank, bank blames Venmo. The $500 just vanished, like a fart in the wind, nobody accountable.:mad:

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
Never had anyone full pay and not pick up but I sure as hell have taken probably 20k in $500-$1000 deposits and had people no show.