WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on wifi extenders - cyber Monday

Jay Dub

Reaction score
We had a similar issue. Tried several different routers and extenders all with poor results. I recently installed the Google Nest mesh Wi-Fi, two router set. Works amazing 200mpbs over Wi-Fi everywhere in the house and back patio. Very quick install. I highly recommend.

DLC

Reaction score
I have the net gear mesh got it at Costco and it works great around the house.

i used to loose signal when cutting the grass - wireless noise canceling head phones and WiFi tunes

works like a champ Now

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
Costco has some good deals, I have the linksys (white ones) and it’s great, tad but over kill.
No matter what you go with get tri band, not dual band. Huge increase in performance.
Yeah I agree, nothing google in my house

UltraLucky

Reaction score
We have been using the linksys system for over a year and has performed better that expected, That is a great price on the system. 2 story house router in upstairs bedroom. We now have good speed everywhere including back patio wifi/TV streaming and garage. We tried multiple extenders before installing the mesh.

gqchris

Reaction score

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
What's the specific concern with Google?

I understand the concern about big brother and data privacy. But in my opinion that ship has sailed, it is so permeated through everything in our life that choosing whether or not to have a google device in my home is irrelevant, might as well maximize the positives you can get out of the negatives of the big brother situations.

I'd be curious to see a Linksys system would do differently than google, both are undoubtedly selling your data on the open market right?

Admitted google fan boy, have had android phones since 2009, have Nest thermostats, doorbell, chromecast, youtube TV, Nest audio, and google wifi.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
look into this stuff
my son turned me onto their stuff. I got a dreammachine to replace my linksys and it is such and improvement it is unbelieveable. My last speed test on suddenlink in havasu was 582meg up.
My son has them all over work it is what they use a SpaceX.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Google mesh here as well and very pleased with its performance.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Another vote for mesh.

Also, consider placement. A router in the attic can cover a lot more of your home than one in a bedroom, for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Went with the orbi mesh 6 system..... All is great now... don't know why it took so long to change. (besides the cost).

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
look into this stuff
my son turned me onto their stuff. I got a dreammachine to replace my linksys and it is such and improvement it is unbelieveable. My last speed test on suddenlink in havasu was 582meg up.
Did they really deploy use Ubiquiti on space X? I've deployed a ton of Ubiquiti and it has its place but never for something mission critical like public safety or ...... space lol. They have some good stuff but it's cheaper for a reason they must have stepped their game up

gqchris

Reaction score
look into this stuff

This is what I deploy on all my business clients. Nothing else. Too complicated to manage in my opinion for someone not tech savvy. If you have a son or friend that can manage, then well worth it.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
another one for the google mesh. Tried several extenders and never got rid of the dead spots until we switched to the mesh

Icky

Reaction score
I have the one you posted in your OP, works fine in my 2600 2 story. 1 is at the router upstairs another in my office 30' away and the third is downstairs behind my TV. I have service all around my property, but cell data seems faster outside. I do want to hardwire them all eventually, but thats another project for another day.
Just FYI, the new wifi standard is AX, if I was doing it again I would purchase the AX system just so I was on the current version.

Justfishing

Reaction score
The latest wi fi proticol is wifi 6. I Wouldnt buy a wifi 5. Wifi 6 came out in the 2nd half of 2019. Devices that were made to wifi 6 get the most benefit but overall it helps older devices.

Older devices went with a letter designation. They decided to go with a number designation with 6. There was not wifi 5 until 6 came out.

Wifi 6 can handle more devices at once. Smart tv, phones, computers, refrigerators, spy networks i mean alexa and google, etc

My wife works from home. Thw wife kept having signal trouble with one wall between the router and her office with wifi 5. Got tired of cox bs so switched providers.

The new provider gave us a wifi modem. The installer didnt even know there was a wifi 6. We had to put the wifi farther away from her office. No extenders better coverage no more dropped signals.

A mesh system is a fancier range extender. You have a base unit that is your connection to the internet. You have one or more mesh units that are a go between from the device to the base. A mesh is supposed to hand you off to the base or anther mesh unit to keep you connected as you moce about.

Lastly, are you on cable internet. Cable internet is a shared system. Kind of like the old party line phones. The more users on the node the slower it goes. Fiber optic is the way to go.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Did they really deploy use Ubiquiti on space X? I've deployed a ton of Ubiquiti and it has its place but never for something mission critical like public safety or ...... space lol. They have some good stuff but it's cheaper for a reason they must have stepped their game up
They do up where they are building starlink satellites.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Netgear with 2 Orbi satellites. I get coverage as I drive up my street. Highly recommend it.

parker guy

Reaction score
We have a EERO....works awesome. We have a old house with Plaster Walls...

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
We have a long ranch home and wifi barley makes it to the other end of the home. The plug in extenders suck and lose band width.

Im looking at this deal. I like it because I dont need to run cable and it is suppose to retain bandwidth.

Bought the exact unit, its still in the box [emoji1787] I’ll get to it soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 3Gbps Speed (RBK50) – Router & Extender Replacement Covers Up to 5,000 sq. ft., 2-Pack Includes 1 Router & 1 Satellite White

This is what I put in our house 6 months ago. Router was in the basement and we could not get much of a signal on the main floor. I installed these, The new router/base in the basement, one satellite on the main level and the second satellite on the second level. Great signal now. Easy to install.

I bought an ORBI system - works great

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
This is what we use in our 4 buildings in Pomona.
Screenshot_20201130-232350_eBay.jpg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Maynard got us the cheap-o extender that simply plugs into the wall outlet, ya do some simple info entry and it made a huge difference.

Out in the RV I now get full 4K and it eliminated buffering throughout the house as well.

Wifie uses the Wilson on her cellphone and jet pack and it’ll give you one additional bar of service.

It’s essential for her work but the Wilson runs really hot.
They claimed they cured the hot but it’s still cooking.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
We use the google mesh for our house. It really works well for what we need.

I do hate the 4 inch wall plug that it comes with. It makes it hard to plug it in behind furniture.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Google Mesh is my house, my river pad, and daughter's home. No issues at all and super easy to configure.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We use the google mesh for our house. It really works well for what we need.

I do hate the 4 inch wall plug that it comes with. It makes it hard to plug it in behind furniture.

Plug it into a small 90-degree angle extension cord, then set the unit in the floor or underneath the furniture.

IMG_5805.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro