WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Getting the annual boat service done - 496 / bravo 1 xr - general questions

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Hi all. New boat owner with a few questions. In the near future I’m going to be looking to get my boat serviced. Besides oil, drive oil and impeller, what typically is also done each year(not sure if there are any good links to read up on this stuff)? How long does a service usually take? Is this something that can be done same day by appointment or something where I’d drop off the boat and come back a week later. I’m in SoCal and the boat is in BHC, so logistically I’ve got to get a plan together to make this happen if it’s the latter. Any suggestions for shops and typically how far out are they booking? I don’t mind taking it down to Havasu.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Many of the "good" shops are several weeks out....you need to making calls now. Depending on the hours you may need other stuff. have the plugs and bellows checked.

You should be able to drop off and pick up same day of an appt you set...but don't expect to get an appt the day after you call by any means.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I second that you have to call in advance, though it is getting better. It used to be months out, now its just weeks out.

The basic winter service is drive oil, engine oil and impeller. If you plan to store the boat for a few months after getting the impeller swapped out, ask that they soap it up. It helps keep the impeller happy until it sees use again in spring.

As for other items, driveshaft U joints and drive bellows are the other items that can typically go south and need replacement.

Also, have them check all the hoses, replace any that are developing cracks. And if you have a sea strainer, check and clean that out.

For the engine, depending on what was done last and when, plugs, cap and rotor are a good idea every couple years or so. Sometimes spark plug wires should be replaced, but more like every 5 years.

If you haven't treated your gas with Stabil that would be a good idea, also run the engine to get it into the fuel system completely, not just the tank. Your carbs or injectors will thank you.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Hi all. New boat owner with a few questions. In the near future I’m going to be looking to get my boat serviced. Besides oil, drive oil and impeller, what typically is also done each year(not sure if there are any good links to read up on this stuff)? How long does a service usually take? Is this something that can be done same day by appointment or something where I’d drop off the boat and come back a week later. I’m in SoCal and the boat is in BHC, so logistically I’ve got to get a plan together to make this happen if it’s the latter. Any suggestions for shops and typically how far out are they booking? I don’t mind taking it down to Havasu.
Are you going to be winter boating? if not I'd make my appointment now for the time in spring you think you'll start boating, no need to keep the impeller bound up.

I would think you could schedule service for less than two weeks out this time of year in Havasu at least some of the shops.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Annual service can be done in a day. When I owned my I.O. boat, I would get a full service at the beginning of the season and would make my appointment in January. Drive oil, alignment, impeller, fluids, etc. Would drop off at 8am and was on the water by 2pm at the latest.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Thank you dark horse racing for the. Stabil tip. I have it in the tank but didn’t run it after putting it in.

we’re thinking of going for a ride fromCstheryn’s to the Hoover dam this month but not sure if we’ll have time. I’ve got a few props to try out. Other than that, it’ll be pretty quiet until about March. I’d like to make it out to some of the events at the river next season.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Thank you dark horse racing for the. Stabil tip. I have it in the tank but didn’t run it after putting it in.

we’re thinking of going for a ride fromCstheryn’s to the Hoover dam this month but not sure if we’ll have time. I’ve got a few props to try out. Other than that, it’ll be pretty quiet until about March. I’d like to make it out to some of the events at the river next season.

You won't be able to go all the way to the Hoover Dam. North of Willow Beach is closed to motor boats between Labor Day weekend and Memorial weekend.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

Jay Dub

Reaction score

I can recommend Shane @namba860. He has taken good care of my Hallett.

Slick

Reaction score
🤦🏼 You don’t trust me lol. We discussed via text what all was needed.
New impeller (you have a brand new one i gave with the boat)
Oil and filter (Wix 51060. 10q Mobil 1 10/40)
Fuel filter and disc (Fuel Filter Element & Screen Kit for Mercruiser Cool Fuel 35-892665 35-8M0093688 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ND3JTN5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_HNKYFbNGQRCAF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)
Drive fluid (1 gallon just buy from MMW)
Grease the drive
. LOL. Can’t ask for any better details from a seller than that!

Last edited:

04-24Stealth

Reaction score
[emoji1749] You don’t trust me lol. We discussed via text what all was needed.
New impeller (you have a brand new one i gave with the boat)
Oil and filter (Wix 51060. 10q Mobil 1 10/40)
Fuel filter and disc (Fuel Filter Element & Screen Kit for Mercruiser Cool Fuel 35-892665 35-8M0093688 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ND3JTN5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_HNKYFbNGQRCAF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)
Drive fluid (1 gallon just buy from MMW)
Grease the drive

Is this fuel filter for the cool fuel systems? I have two fuel filters one inline standard filter then the fuel water separator kits above the water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Other then the 1 gallon of drive oil!! That boat have extra capacity for the drive? Lol

Bravo drives take about 2.75qt of lube depending on model. If you factor in for the lube line and the gear oil bottle on top of the engine as some service facilities change it all, it gets you to about 3.25-3.75qt. (standard or large bottle)

So ya.... 1 gallon like he said😎

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Other then the 1 gallon of drive oil!! That boat have extra capacity for the drive? Lol
Standard XR, than the line, than the Teague reservoir. Should leave .5q as spare, then i kept that in the boat as spare, in a small bottle that is.
Drain, let it drain overnight reservoir lid open. Then fill from bottom till it comes out the drip hole up top, put plug in, then slowly pump till you see it hit the reservoir. Then just be real real slow with 1/4 pumps till the reservoir is half full, then put lid on and remove the hose as fast as can be, you’ll lose 2-3oz is it.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Is this fuel filter for the cool fuel systems? I have two fuel filters one inline standard filter then the fuel water separator kits above the water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the drop in and the disc filters for the Gen 3 cool fuel. That boat only has that set of filters for its fuel system. The 496ho in it is a mid year 2006.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
. LOL. Can’t ask for any better details from a seller than that!
🤷🏼 LOL I’ve tried to answer all the questions, as i told him no question really is a dumb question as long as it’s an honest question. Hell i even told him I’d help him do the annual so he knew for later. Russ seems plenty hands on and mechanically inclined he doesn’t need a shop.

Moabifam5

Reaction score
If the boat is in BHC, give Mike at Premier in Needles a call. I have a 22 Placecraft with a 496 and he completes my service every year. Between now and mid February its typically a 1 day turn around. Shop phone is 760-326-2727, good luck!

robby dmax

Reaction score
Bravo drives take about 2.75qt of lube depending on model. If you factor in for the lube line and the gear oil bottle on top of the engine as some service facilities change it all, it gets you to about 3.25-3.75qt. (standard or large bottle)

So ya.... 1 gallon like he said😎
Huh that’s funny mine takes a little less then 3 Quarts and have all that same Hoses and drive Reservoir.. And yes I do all my own service drive gets done twice a year.
So must be like above statement to slow putting the drain plug back in.🧐

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Huh that’s funny mine takes a little less then 3 Quarts and have all that same Hoses and drive Reservoir.. And yes I do all my own service drive gets done twice a year.
So must be like above statement to slow putting the drain plug back in.🧐

Screenshot_20201205-190024_Drive.jpg

Don't forget the "burp"

Reactions: DWC

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
There is two on that list take over 3 quarts 90% of the list is under 3 quarts!!
Go buy 3 quarts, when you’re 2oz short just reuse a little of the fluid you drained out, I’ll buy 4 quarts and have 14oz to spare.
Maybe the gallon bottle i buy from MMW isn’t full 🤦🏼 Idk they told me year one “here’s a gallon” and i paid the bill went home and had a little over half a quart left! Maybe i should be faster with the drain screw, maybe the bottle isn’t full maybe who CaRe’s Jesus why argue over the amount of fluid. New boat as well the other three i service annually all take and leave the same amount, just enough for a condiment bottle to keep in the boat Incase.
12 oz bottle you can get from Walmart for 1$
601A9855-6FA9-4E91-AC09-FE6228864CF5.jpeg

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
There is two on that list take over 3 quarts 90% of the list is under 3 quarts!!

Are you really wanting to argue semantics over half a qt?! It must be winter. 3 on that list are Alphas, 2 on the list are Blackhawks. 3 on the list are early model Bravos "without gear lube monitors" at all which are extremely rare. Of the 5 that remain, 4 are listed as 3qts or more.

Completely drained and accounting for the burp, most people are digging into that 4th qt a little. Nothing is ever exact when it comes to boats either. Never expect it to be.

Cheers

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Haha, was just getting a little antsy over here trying to figure stuff out since we have a newborn, live in Oc and the boat is in bullhead.
We talked a bit more and this is something I’ll work on with Peter most likely. Time for me to start ordering parts.

about the drive fluid, I’m good at making messes so 1 gal it is. It’ll be good to have to top it off As needed down the road anyhow