WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for a new truck

She's Mine

Reaction score
Any End of The Year deals going on? Looking at 1500 LT or above or a 2500HD Duramax...

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Pretty much all of them are offering deals right now. I think Chevy had 0% offers going on right now.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
0% is a sucker hole. You can't haggle the MSRP price down closer to invoice as much as you could with a decent rate, and the dealership isn't going to make it easy on you to cut down their fees and stuff since they know no one is making money on the deal by offering 0%.

Look for dealer stock that's been sitting the longest. Dealers are usually desperate to sell stuff that isn't selling and will deal more on those. Of course you have to probably compromise on colors and options as if its not something that's been sold, it is likely missing popular options or packages.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
If you gotta go GM I’d go with the GMC over the Chevy, still ugly asF but not as ugly. Never in my life thought I’d say this, but if i was buying a new truck tomorrow it’d most likely be a Ford. And as little as i really need the diesel anymore it’d probably be a Raptor with the 3.5tt in it.

jeepdog

Lucky jeepdog
Reaction score
I'm worried about the door ding on the new truck I don't own

sintax

Reaction score
If you gotta go GM I’d go with the GMC over the Chevy, still ugly asF but not as ugly. Never in my life thought I’d say this, but if i was buying a new truck tomorrow it’d most likely be a Ford. And as little as i really need the diesel anymore it’d probably be a Raptor with the 3.5tt in it.

I feel the same way, 100%. I keep trying to look at the GMC trying to talk myself into it, but I just cant get over the looks on that Chevy, its SO ugly... I pray they fired the team who built it so we have a chance at redemption on the next go round. I dont NEED a new truck now, but I kind of want one. My duramax (from Selman) only has 130k on the clock.

I would have to look real hard between the dodge cummins and the GMC at this point. My uncle got a new 1 ton single rw cummins and its pretty nice.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I feel the same way, 100%. I keep trying to look at the GMC trying to talk myself into it, but I just cant get over the looks on that Chevy, its SO ugly... I pray they fired the team who built it so we have a chance at redemption on the next go round. I dont NEED a new truck now, but I kind of want one. My duramax (from Selman) only has 130k on the clock.

I would have to look real hard between the dodge cummins and the GMC at this point. My uncle got a new 1 ton single rw cummins and its pretty nice.
And to imagine the same company that just showed up with the new Corvette is same that also showed up with those abortions they called a truck.

manxman

Reaction score
Went to the dark side and bought 2021 Chevy 4x4 with the 3.0l diesel. So far, I love it. The look is growing on me. I've owned fords for the last 10 years and they are great as well, but I'm really digging the torque and 20 to 30 mpg of the diesel.
20201117_164145.jpg

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Went to the dark side and bought 2021 Chevy 4x4 with the 3.0l diesel. So far, I love it. The look is growing on me. I've owned fords for the last 10 years and they are great as well, but I'm really digging the torque and 20 to 30 mpg of the diesel.

I’m really curious to see how that engine holds up [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
those of you guys that buy cars and are good at haggling. what would this truck go for this late in the year?

The best time to try and buy is right at the end of month, quarter or year. Dealerships all have quotas to meet, and if they need to meet it (or are below the line), they are more likely to deal better to get another sale on their quota sheet at these times. If you go in at other times, they aren't in the panic yet to meet the quota.

As for you, it's vital that you do your research beforehand and go in knowing what invoice price is, and don't let them sucker you into playing that four square game. They always ask what you want your monthly cost to be, don't fall for it. You want their best price, and then make sure the dealer isn't going for the reach around by adding other BS on to pump that number back up for them. Your monthly is really going to be determined by your financing percentage and how much of a down you can do to drive the financed amount down. It really has nothing to do with their game.

In fact you should have already pre-qualified yourself with a bank or credit union offering YOU the best rate. Most lenders have payment calculators on their site. You know what your vehicle should cost, you know your down, and you know therefore about what your monthly will be. The hard part is getting the dealership to give you that vehicle price you want, and that's really the only negotiating to be done.

If you have a trade-in, don't even bring that up until you've got your price negotiated on the new vehicle. And then bring in KBB figures for your trade-in vehicle for private party and trade-in values so you don't get lowballed by the dealers. Fight to get as much value you can there.

Do those things and you will have gotten the better of the dealership scam artists.

cxr

Reaction score
The best time to try and buy is right at the end of month, quarter or year. Dealerships all have quotas to meet, and if they need to meet it (or are below the line), they are more likely to deal better to get another sale on their quota sheet at these times. If you go in at other times, they aren't in the panic yet to meet the quota.

As for you, it's vital that you do your research beforehand and go in knowing what invoice price is, and don't let them sucker you into playing that four square game. They always ask what you want your monthly cost to be, don't fall for it. You want their best price, and then make sure the dealer isn't going for the reach around by adding other BS on to pump that number back up for them. Your monthly is really going to be determined by your financing percentage and how much of a down you can do to drive the financed amount down. It really has nothing to do with their game.

In fact you should have already pre-qualified yourself with a bank or credit union offering YOU the best rate. Most lenders have payment calculators on their site. You know what your vehicle should cost, you know your down, and you know therefore about what your monthly will be. The hard part is getting the dealership to give you that vehicle price you want, and that's really the only negotiating to be done.

If you have a trade-in, don't even bring that up until you've got your price negotiated on the new vehicle. And then bring in KBB figures for your trade-in vehicle for private party and trade-in values so you don't get lowballed by the dealers. Fight to get as much value you can there.

Do those things and you will have gotten the better of the dealership scam artists.

Yes I know this. I have been looking for a 2500. Since about 2017. I have used ALL. The online car buying tools. Dealerships within 100 miles. Are probably tired of seeing my email since I have the TrueCar app I check the prices about once a month. Lol. I want a end of the year screaming deal. I’m not looking for anything super fancy. Basic. 2500 crew cab long box diesel. Don’t even need 4x4. From all the great advice you supplied above what should the invoice price be to you ?
Costco gave me a price of 43K. Once. The dealer laughed and mocked me by email. And still makes snide comments when my email comes up. Like your stilll looking Lol.

cxr

Reaction score
Forgot. LT

I don’t need a truck right now my 2003 Tahoe just sits in my backuard for about 8 months out of the year. But for a great deal I would pickup a new truck. But not gonna waste mymoney and pay 65K

BajaMike

Reaction score
I think the Dodge with the gas engine is the lowest price. But I like Chevy.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Supposedly it’s all GM, but designed at one of their engineering facilities in Italy and not the US. Not sure if I like that LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Key word "Supposedly". Noted. ;)

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Supposedly it’s all GM, but designed at one of their engineering facilities in Italy and not the US. Not sure if I like that LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep at GM's engine design center in Turin. GM has owned that facility since the early 2000's. However recently sold the entire campus (college like) to the Punch Group. I dont know where that leaves VM Motori but I would expect the baby 4 cyl Duramax in the Colorado to be a complete Punch engine in the near future. It seems to me that GM buying a FCA engine will stop if this 3.0 is a big success. They can just chop off a couple cylinders for the Colorado.

My concern is its completely aluminum block and heads, gear train and CP Pump in the back of the engine. Super full of unproven tech but TFL Truck reports Mpg numbers that are way up there near 40 hwy. I bet the engine is just happy it doesn't have to sit under the hood of that hideous looking 2500 HD.

manxman

Reaction score
Well, i have only had this thing a few weeks, and i have logged about 1100 miles, and 800 are tow miles. Been back and forth to the desert 3 times towing 1 or 2 sxs's.
Gas mileage has been 18mpg lowest and 29 highest. I have to say that i am thoroughly impressed with the mileage and performance. I loved the ford ecoboost, but the torque of the diesel is hard to not like. I can only imagine when this thing gets broken in, how well it will do. As far as reliability, I'm not to worried as I will probably never own this thing long enough to be out of warranty. Since i bought in November the dealership was doing the black friday deal all month. I looked at Fords and Dodges as well, and none of them were really dealing except chevy. I even went to a buddy that is the general manager at a major ford dealer. Because inventory is so tight, he couldnt do much. I thought that was an ok deal.

20201117_130754.jpg

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Well, i have only had this thing a few weeks, and i have logged about 1100 miles, and 800 are tow miles. Been back and forth to the desert 3 times towing 1 or 2 sxs's.
Gas mileage has been 18mpg lowest and 29 highest. I have to say that i am thoroughly impressed with the mileage and performance. I loved the ford ecoboost, but the torque of the diesel is hard to not like. I can only imagine when this thing gets broken in, how well it will do. As far as reliability, I'm not to worried as I will probably never own this thing long enough to be out of warranty. Since i bought in November the dealership was doing the black friday deal all month. I looked at Fords and Dodges as well, and none of them were really dealing except chevy. I even went to a buddy that is the general manager at a major ford dealer. Because inventory is so tight, he couldnt do much. I wound up with about $10k off on my deal. I got the truck for $49k out the door. I thought that was an ok deal.

View attachment 949467
What's the tow rating on that package?

Joe mama

Reaction score
Gas mileage has been 18mpg lowest and 29 highest. I have to say that i am thoroughly impressed with the mileage and performance. I loved the ford ecoboost, but the torque of the diesel is hard to not like. I can only imagine when this thing gets broken in, how well it will do. As far as reliability, I'm not to worried as I will probably never own this thing long enough to be out of warranty. Since i bought in November the dealership was doing the black friday deal all month. I looked at Fords and Dodges as well, and none of them were really dealing except chevy. I even went to a buddy that is the general manager at a major ford dealer. Because inventory is so tight, he couldnt do much. I wound up with about $10k off on my deal. I got the truck for $49k out the door. I thought that was an ok deal.

View attachment 949467 I
Is that a loaded truck leather and all or basic. Price sounds good!

manxman

Reaction score
Is that a loaded truck leather and all or basic. Price sounds good!

LT model. Pretty loaded. Leather, power everything, heated seats and steering wheel. Some pretty nice features!!
20201116_190304.jpg