WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for some Home Gym Equipment

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I finally broke down and got a storage unit after all these years, and Stacy and I want to put an elliptical and some other stuff in the garage.. Note every time I've done this the stuff has just sat there and collected dust, but I'm gonna try it one more time. :D. Anyone got anything or some leads on anything?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Storage unit is nice though!
6B155E2F-6F01-432D-A161-C64B3B5BF808.jpeg

DWC

Reaction score
Check out Mikes fitness if you can’t find anything used. The market has been crazy since April. Best selection and pricing that i could find.

4A505B5C-8718-4439-9CE7-CA19E5D26191.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Check these out

was kinda thinking used just because we have done this a few times before and it never worked out.. lol. But that thing looks pretty reasonable for what it is!

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I have a little home gym. I like it so I can use it whenever or never if I want because I didn't spend much. Just get an Olympic bench set that comes with weights from big 5, a Olympic curling bar and an elliptical. Just don't get the Golds gym elliptical one, that thing works but will be very noisy after a few months. Ask me how I know. We got one that can be a cycle type thing or elliptical. I think all together I spent under $500.00

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Check out Mikes fitness if you can’t find anything used. The market has been crazy since April. Best selection and pricing that i could find.

View attachment 949841

I don’t know how to use IG.. :/. Strangely also looking to pay someone to show me how to use IG and other platforms.. lol

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have a little home gym. I like it so I can use it whenever or never if I want because I didn't spend much. Just get an Olympic bench set that comes with weights from big 5, a Olympic curling bar and an elliptical. Just don't get the Golds gym elliptical one, that thing works but will be very noisy after a few months. Ask me how I know. We got one that can be a cycle type thing or elliptical. I think all together I spent under $500.00

That’s what I’m kinda thinking

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
was kinda thinking used just because we have done this a few times before and it never worked out.. lol. But that thing looks pretty reasonable for what it is!

Nothing beats free weights. Keep it real.

DWC

Reaction score
I don’t know how to use IG.. :/. Strangely also looking to pay someone to show me how to use IG and other platforms.. lol

Their website is decent. Pretty easy location off the 215. If you need me to drag anything out let me know.

DWC

Reaction score
Wait a bit and there will be so many gyms having going out of business sales the stuff will practically be free.
I keep looking but it’s taking forever to hit the market.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
To each there own.! But this unit ROCKS!! (Your boat looks sad like you just broke up with it.....)

Cool but they rape you coming and going. required installation, shipping, $50 a month membership for it to work. $500 for the needed accessories that should be worth under $150...... and should be included for that matter.

DWC

Reaction score
Get a Peloton. Super fun, and the subscription has a bunch of other programs for weightlifting, yoga, etc.

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk
Looking forward to getting ours. We pulled the trigger on 11/18 and were given a 12/9delivery. It was just changed to 1/18 due to delays at the port. 2 mos out this late in the game is a bummer.

sirbob

Reaction score
Dave

I've had home equipment for a long time - to your point, its easy to not use it!

I mean this in the most polite way possible when I say if you are serious about making an effort to improve your health, feel better and get in "shape"... I would recommend starting by cutting back, instead of spending money.

What I mean is its easy to buy a neat machine and use it for a few weeks. Heck its new and shiny and its feels good to use it. But then ... it doesn't get used and you spent the money and you didn't get anywhere. If fact you said it yourself - Note every time I've done this the stuff has just sat there and collected dust, but I'm gonna try it one more time.

My suggestion - weigh yourself and do it every day. Start with a known number you are trying to improve. THEN THE HARD PART - Stop eating. Seriously - limit yourself to 1 meal a day. Chomp a few nuts if you need a snack but stop eating!!!!

I bet if you did that in 1-2 months you would see huge results! From there once you start to see some real results you will start to get motivated and then if you spent the money for equipment you MIGHT be more inclined to use it to keep improving your results.

Loosing weight is a math problem combined with will power (an exhaustible resource). Eat less = loose weight.

It's not a diet - its a change of life style. The biggest issue I see in your world is that eating and drinking are part of your social existence. And at the rate you eat and drink you can't possibly expect to burn enough calories on an elliptical to see ANY results on the scale.

I started trying to make the same changes a few months ago - I know how hard it is but I'm seeing some real results for myself. I started in Sept @258 lbs, this morning I was @240.1, I've been down to 236.5 but I did some drinking and eating extra this past weekend.

Prove to yourself you have the will power too fast for 23 hrs then add on trying to prove to yourself you will actually work out... Good Luck, I'm rooting for you!

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I finally broke down and got a storage unit after all these years, and Stacy and I want to put an elliptical and some other stuff in the garage.. Note every time I've done this the stuff has just sat there and collected dust, but I'm gonna try it one more time. :D. Anyone got anything or some leads on anything?

Instead of investing in large equipment that won’t get used. Look into resistance bands. I have a setup in my garage using nothing but bands and body weight. The workouts are pretty intense and the stuff can be moved out of the way pretty easily to make room.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Before you spend a grip of cash on equipment see if you can get into a routine of walking daily and try to increase the length every day. If you still feel like kicking up the exercise routine to start adding resistance training after 60 days - buy it then. You will firstly be a little lighter on your feet than in your wallet. Secondly you will be in a little better condition to bump up your routine after walking daily. But as Bob said previously without cutting back on the calories it's really hard to out exercise a bad diet! You don't have to spend money to get into shape!!!

Last edited:

Fenderbender

Reaction score
are the gyms shut down again out there? planet fitness for 20 or less a mo. seems reasonable and you don't have to take up a bunch of room in the house. I have a bunch of home stuff but can't focus and really get in to it at home unless I'm on the peloton which is awesome. I pay $25 a mo. for a gym membership and find I get a much better workout there.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looking forward to getting ours. We pulled the trigger on 11/18 and were given a 12/9delivery. It was just changed to 1/18 due to delays at the port. 2 mos out this late in the game is a bummer.
I've been using a Peloton at the apartment complex where we lived until we moved into our new house. My Peloton Bike+ was supposed to be delivered yesterday, 12/7, but they delayed it until 12/28. Our lease on the apartment ends Saturday. Not happy that I'm going to miss out on riding over the next few weeks [emoji35][emoji2959]

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

Reactions: DWC

Dirtbag

Reaction score
some good replies in this thread. My first question is where are you planning on putting the equipment? Im hoping you got the storage unit so you can put all the toys in the unit and put the gym in your garage. If im wrong and you are putting the gym equipment in the storage unit just scrap the idea and send the money you are wasting to me.

You and your wife and your kids for that matter do not need gym equipment. You arent looking to be body builders. You arent looking to join the Lake Havasu Bikini Dream Team. You are looking to change your lifestyle and be more healthy. You dont need equipment for that. All you need is 20 minutes - 45 minutes of will power and dedication. You can do body weight excercises to tone your body later. If i were you, I would start with family walks. take a nice stroll for 20 minutes. Build up to a brisk walk. Add time to the walk. get to the point where you can do a slow jog. Point is just to get the heart pumping and limbs moving.

You want to lose weight? The answer is simple. Burn more calories than you take in. Start with your diet. Change your eating habits. Eat healthier. And by healthier i mean cut out the sugars and carbs. You dont have to cut them completely. start slow and change your diet. Look into intermittent fasting. Again burn more calories than you take in and get your body to start burning the excess fat.

Im telling you this not from my experience but from my wife. She joined a boot camp and for the past 2 years is a different woman. lost 75 lbs. leaves the house at 5 am EVERY morning and goes to her workout for 45 mins. Sometimes she does it twice a day. She changed her eating habits. And it has completely transformed her into my new girlfriend.

I just did a 90 day challenge and i feel better than i have since i quit playing ball. I just need to work out more. I need to move more. Problem is im working so much to try aand save my business during covid i cant find the time to do what im preaching and im at a workout facility 12 hrs a day haha.

If there is one or two pieces of equipment you want. Get a Peloton. My whole family uses it. I have used it sparingly. daughter is on it every day..wife on it daily...need to get my son on it. but its a great piece of eqipment that is fun to do and an intense cardio workout when you build up to that point. Thinking about your ankle...the peloton might be the best bet for you....but get out there and walk with the family! good rehab! Other than the peloton id tell you to get a couple sets of trx bands for body weight excercises

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Dave

I've had home equipment for a long time - to your point, its easy to not use it!

I mean this in the most polite way possible when I say if you are serious about making an effort to improve your health, feel better and get in "shape"... I would recommend starting by cutting back, instead of spending money.

What I mean is its easy to buy a neat machine and use it for a few weeks. Heck its new and shiny and its feels good to use it. But then ... it doesn't get used and you spent the money and you didn't get anywhere. If fact you said it yourself - Note every time I've done this the stuff has just sat there and collected dust, but I'm gonna try it one more time.

My suggestion - weight yourself and do it every day. Start with a known number you are trying to improve. THEN THE HARD PART - Stop eating. Seriously - limit yourself to 1 meal a day. Chomp a few nuts if you need a snack but stop eating!!!!

I bet if you did that in 1-2 months you would see huge results! From there once you start to see some real results you will start to get motivated and then if you spent the money for equipment you MIGHT be more inclined to use it to keep improving your results.

Loosing weight is a math problem combined with will power (an exhaustible resource). Eat less = loose weight.

It's not a diet - its a change of life style. The biggest issue I see in your world is that eating and drinking are part of your social existence. And at the rate you eat and drink you can't possibly expect to burn enough calories on an elliptical to see ANY results on the scale.

I started trying to make the same changes a few months ago - I know how hard it is but I'm seeing some real results for myself. I started in Sept @258 lbs, this morning I was @240.1, I've been down to 236.5 but I did some drinking and eating extra this past weekend.

Prove to yourself you have the will power too fast for 24 hrs then add on trying to prove to yourself you will actually work out... Good Luck, I'm rooting for you!
This is what you need to start. You can start walking the neighborhood.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Did you buy in Fly - Hi? Looks like it from the pics.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
I agree that a Spin bike would be good for the ankle. And easy to adjust sizes for the whole family. But there are a dozen better quality spin bikes than Peleton. Keiser being one. easier to flip resistance that turning a knob. you can still prescribe to the monthly fees if you need the social aspect of Peleton.. A fluid resistant Rowing machine is also fun for the whole family. Doesnt take much space. Easy on the ankle too.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I have done that same thing in the past, bought the stuff and it sits, joined gyms and go once or twice and it is over, We have found https://xplosivefit.com/ All online live working, coaching, food plans and support. They have Zoom classes 3 times a day or you can do it on your own with recorded classes. They have people we see on the Zoom all over the country... They adapt the workouts according to hurt legs and shoulders and whatever. I hate to exercise and really am enjoying and losing weight.

Pretty sure his deal right now is 3 weeks free, Rod is the owner, here is his cell, he's good at text 818-309-1804

jadenchick

Reaction score
We have a Bowflex Treadclimber x 2, Bowflex Max Trainer Total. and Bowflex TechSelect Dumbells/bench set. The Total has lots and lots of cool programs to work out too, plus the option to watch Netflix on the screen and different music channels. The treadclimber is a good starter machine and the max total is more advanced, the max total is an ass kicker for sure!

We looked at the Peloton in Newport Beach store, highly recommend going there. They let you test out the Peloton and the Tread on-site. We will end up eventually getting a Peloton.

If you want a cheaper spin bike, Bowflex has one called the C6 (works with the Peloton app!), it used to be $799 but they raised the price to $999. They have the VelcoCore and its in the same price range as the Peloton but its interactive meaning the bike actually moves as you do a turn, etc.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
In January, my daughter decided she was going to make a push towards service academy life after high school. Her and my wife started the gym thing. Then covid...
Well, our attached 2car garage is now a gym. Daughter is in at 5am, with either mom or I. Just about all equipment was CL or FB purchases, and a small set of dumbells up to 30lbs. Small machine, elyptical, treadmill and stationary bike, along with a pull up tower/dip bar deal. Treadmill, bike and elyptical were all commercial stuff...heavy as hell. Total cost for everything was maybe 1k. Bikes and elypticals would be good for low impact/not trashing your foot again.

Now that it's not hot, walking with the kids is an option. Lots to see, and you'll see quite a bit more on foot than driving. When it warms up again, you can use you pool for more than a reason to buy more beer...not that that's a bad thing.

D19

Reaction score
We have a small home gym. It was hard to find stuff with Covid. I bought most everything from Walmart at the river, amazon and Onnit.com. Bought the wife a Peloton, she really likes it. FYI it takes a couple months to get a Peloton once ordered. I think ours took 10 weeks.

wishiknew

Reaction score
there was someone on here that his wife was a big wig at 24 hour fitness they are hauling machines out like crazy been in about 12 clubs and about 1/2 of the machines are gone

D19

Reaction score
there was someone on here that his wife was a big wig at 24 hour fitness they are hauling machines out like crazy been in about 12 clubs and about 1/2 of the machines are gone

I'd like to buy some of that. Do you know where that stuff is headed?

wishiknew

Reaction score
I'd like to buy some of that. Do you know where that stuff is headed?
we are just working there so everyone already thinks we a running out the back with everything I will ask someone tomorrow

Reactions: D19

SoCalDave

Reaction score
workin on it.. this is all part of the bug life change to get healthier..
Same old song and dance...really wish you would just walk from those things. Get Chantix, completely stop the urge for me after 34 years of smoking but down deep it's really up to you to want to quit.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
workin on it.. this is all part of the bug life change to get healthier..
I miss smoking to this day. It was such a big part of my life. Everything is timed off of when you stop to have a smoke. Once I quit, I had time to do other things. One of those things was to work out for 30 minutes every morning Monday thru Friday. You'll get there when you decide and not until then.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Just picked up a Precor Elliptical 835 this past weekend. It’s a big commercial unit out of 24hr Fitness. The only one where I like the motion. It was a pretty penny used but it’s time to trim.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
You have kids and dogs. Hop on a bike and take the kiddos out for a ride and possibly the wife.
It's damn near free as a start.
Wish you luck Dave.
This just get out and ride. I get really bored doing any machine but get out a see the outside world and feel way better. Ride 3 to 6 days a week. Some days it is only 3 miles up hill and coast back home, but it is good cardio.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Eliminate all the carbs you possibly can. Usually means all the white stuff - really good things like potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, tortillas, and yes even beer. Drop a predetermined amount of pounds. Then, as mentioned, simple resistance bands for exercise are excellent. Walking, the amount of which each of us are capable varies. All of this is just you making it all happen. It can be done without costly and sometimes complicated gym equipment, which can easily be ignored for all kinds of excuses.