WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Steak knife gift ideas

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion for steak knives that are decent say in the range of 100-150 for set of eight? Lots of junk out there so I thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I don't claim to be an expert, but I enjoy kitchen knives and such. You can of course spend stupid amounts of money on steak knife sets, but in that price range I would stick to the bigger names like Zwilling Henkel, Wusthoff, things like that. Stainless would be your best bet in that range for blade material, not only for price, but for upkeep, as cool things like Damascus and a lot of the "japanese" steels you must be incredibly diligent keeping them clean and dry. If you watch a sushi chef, they will have a towel next to their cutting board and wipe after every couple of cuts. These blades can discolor food as well as damage the blade if not properly cared for. I have a couple of Bob Kramer Chef knives, but still see sticker shock when I look at buying a steak knife set of his still unfortunately. Zwilling Henkel even manufacture for Bob Kramer on his production stuff like what I have pictured below, and have a good reputation, but material is really what you are paying for.

knives.jpg

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Cutco, buy once, cry once. Most of the "high end" knife company's have some lower priced options but they are mostly crap that is made in China and just rides on the parent company's name. Dont buy any of those "Damascus Steel " knifes unless you are getting the top of the line stuff or you'll regret it, they are merely etched to look like folded steel.

Last edited:

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I have Cutco for about 15 years and have been very happy with them. They aren't the "Exclusive" top of the line, but they also are not crazy expensive. Lifetime sharpening (for serrated knives, that usually means they replace them when sharpening is needed).

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Cutco, buy once, cry once. Most of the "high end" knife company's have some lower priced options but they are mostly crap that is made in China and just rides on the parent company's name. Dont buy any of those "Damascus Steel " knifes unless you are getting the top of the line stuff or you'll regret it, they are merely etched to look like folded steel.
LOL, if a company is selling steak knives at the county fair I'm probably not buying them. But in all seriousness, I have heard good things about Cutco. I have a set of Shun Steak Knives. Poor people can't afford cheap stuff, LOL

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We have some Heckels steak knives and they have treated us well. All our other knives are Cutco.

Last edited:

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
LOL, if a company is selling steak knives at the county fair I'm probably not buying them. But in all seriousness, I have heard good things about Cutco. I have a set of Shun Steak Knives. Poor people can't afford cheap stuff, LOL
Never heard of Cutco being sold at a county fair but I suppose it's possible. They are an American company that actually makes their product here in the States and has been around for most of the last century, their knIfe's have a lifetime warranty (including sharpening), they are made out of induction hardened 440A which has great wear characteristics and reasonable corrosion resistance.
Shun knife's are great if you get the higher end Japanese ones but there are also lower priced sets (possibly knock-off's) that are cheap Chinese junk riding on the name.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We have two big blocks for Cutcos for the houses and one small block for the motorhome. Yes they are painful to buy, but they offer 0% interest multi payment plans which we used. The problem is we bought a set at the boat show for Havasu house then went back to OC and realized I cant used this crap we have here so we got another set, same scenario with the RV. Once you used them you cant go back to anything else. We can leave them to our kids in the will.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
We have two big blocks for Cutcos for the houses and one small block for the motorhome. Yes they are painful to buy, but they offer 0% interest multi payment plans which we used. The problem is we bought a set at the boat show for Havasu house then went back to OC and realized I cant used this crap we have here so we got another set, same scenario with the RV. Once you used them you cant go back to anything else. We can leave them to our kids in the will.
👍 Like I said, I've heard good things about them. Their channel for marketing is kind of funny, but it works...and so do the knives :).

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Here you go. Cool and no thrill. Majorly of people don’t take care of fancy knives.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
👍 Like I said, I've heard good things about them. Their channel for marketing is kind of funny, but it works...and so do the knives :).

We fell for the free sharpening event at the London Bridge Inn......its an angle, while your waiting on them to be sharpened my wife fell for another $1000 worth of new goodies.

D19

Reaction score
My vote is for Cangshan. We have this set. Worth every penny! They do have less expensive smaller sets.

fmo24

Reaction score
We received a Cutco set from our realtor when we sold and bought a couple of houses. I Ike the steak knives in the set. Bought a cork drawer insert for moho instead of the knife block on counter.

traquer

Reaction score
I almost bought a nice set of real Japanese knives for $300. Never crossed my mind that the steel would rust and I can't treat it like my ole smith and weson pocket knife LOL

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
For Christmas last year I bought the wife a full set of knives including steak knives including duplicates of the two most used from these guys.

Got to say, for the price they are the real deal. I fully get the need for premium materials and they deliver. We had been looking at a few of the top German and Japanese lines but couldn't quite justify the $3k plus needed for what we wanted. These delivered nicely for under $500 for everything.

They are a US company with fair customer service (new company that is growing rapidly....). The steel is sourced from first world supplier and then Chinese do the actual build. Not happy about the last step, but that is how they hit that price and I could not find much between the examples above that could remotely compete quality wise. I would say they are 95% of the top players top lines. The biggest differences are cosmetic. They are non-descript looking and not show pieces like the others, then again that is not what I felt was important. I am more of a performance guy on stuff like this.

shock22

Reaction score
I don't claim to be an expert, but I enjoy kitchen knives and such. You can of course spend stupid amounts of money on steak knife sets, but in that price range I would stick to the bigger names like Zwilling Henkel, Wusthoff, things like that. Stainless would be your best bet in that range for blade material, not only for price, but for upkeep, as cool things like Damascus and a lot of the "japanese" steels you must be incredibly diligent keeping them clean and dry. If you watch a sushi chef, they will have a towel next to their cutting board and wipe after every couple of cuts. These blades can discolor food as well as damage the blade if not properly cared for. I have a couple of Bob Kramer Chef knives, but still see sticker shock when I look at buying a steak knife set of his still unfortunately. Zwilling Henkel even manufacture for Bob Kramer on his production stuff like what I have pictured below, and have a good reputation, but material is really what you are paying for.

View attachment 949850
I have an set of these also great knives

DLC

Reaction score
Benchmade has a new Jim Bouie style knife set, after dinner you can go skin a deer or something....

only $150....... each. Ouch

2CEF9052-FE77-4539-97B7-B84B5655ED8D.jpeg

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
My son started working as a chef at a local bistro, and has really begun to enjoy cooking and the experimentatiion that comes along with it. So my wife and I bought him a large Cutco from a guy at the Indio Tamale Festival a year ago.
Gov. Newsome and the Wu Flu killed my son's job and the Tamale festival this year. F 2020.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
This is the set I am "acquiring" piece by piece. Bed Bath and Beyond carries it and they are always good for 20% off with a coupon, but once a year usually someone does something steeper. Maintenance really is the key to enjoying your knife sets. No matter what you spend, they are only as good as the care and sharpening they receive. I have been spending the time to learn how to sharpen with quality wet stones, but have not done my expensive knives yet, still practicing. Many retailers offer included sharpening, but I suggest inquiring to what method and by whom, if they are sent out, who knows who is just leaning on some grinder not caring. Not saying good results can't be achieved with power tools, but like when Roc was posting, he has gone in deep to get the results he wanted.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Never heard of Cutco being sold at a county fair but I suppose it's possible. They are an American company that actually makes their product here in the States and has been around for most of the last century, their knIfe's have a lifetime warranty (including sharpening), they are made out of induction hardened 440A which has great wear characteristics and reasonable corrosion resistance.
Shun knife's are great if you get the higher end Japanese ones but there are also lower priced sets (possibly knock-off's) that are cheap Chinese junk riding on the name.

They are at the Mid-State fair in Paso Robles every year.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Do they actually have the knifes there or just take orders. It would be nice to be able to just pick them up, I've always ordered direct from the factory.
They have a bunch there. Not sure if you can walk out with them type of thing but they have a shit ton on display and all that.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

bogeygolf

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion for steak knives that are decent say in the range of 100-150 for set of eight? Lots of junk out there so I thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions.

Google "Costco Cutco Schedule" and check out the different regions. Cutco offers a nice discount when they are on display at the stores. We picked up a few this year and are very happy with them.