WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trim gauge question.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Why not just put a mechanical trim gauge in? More accurate, no wires, no ohms.

SS-C

Reaction score
I’m 90% that Beede was doing the Eliminator gauges back then.

@zx14 where is your boat stored?
I put the silver carbon Carlotta in my boat a few months ago and being nothing is carbon makes me really want something else. How’s that white one to keep clean etc? Keep thinking to just order one and see how it looks but it’s rough at 500$ a wheel. Any better pics with that wheel visible?

Hi 02HoWaRd26,

I really like the silver carbon Carlotta wheel. To me, even though it has carbon texture, the silver is neutral and would look nice with any color combo just as zx14 white wheel.

I have been thinking about getting one, I have my eye on both the silver and the white, coin toss I guess.

I’m just trying to get this gauge thing resolved first, then comes the wheel!

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Why not just put a mechanical trim gauge in? More accurate, no wires, no ohms.
2X on a mechanical trim gauge -- I hate electric trim gauges -- never accurate enough, usually too slow reacting, generally not reliable.

SS-C

Reaction score
I hate electric trim gauges -- never accurate enough, usually too slow reacting, generally not reliable.

Yup, this is precisely my point!

When the gauge & sender ohms don’t match this is exactly what happens. Then people blame the electric trim gauge & call them junk!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Hi 02HoWaRd26,

I really like the silver carbon Carlotta wheel. To me, even though it has carbon texture, the silver is neutral and would look nice with any color combo just as zx14 white wheel.

I have been thinking about getting one, I have my eye on both the silver and the white, coin toss I guess.

I’m just trying to get this gauge thing resolved first, then comes the wheel!

Maybe i should call up CP and get a white one coming. Then when i decide which one i want I’ll make your decision easier 🤣🤣

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Lol… Quite the mismatch you got going on there zx14. Reflection, or is there a couple with cracked lenses?

Hey, that Faria gauge doesn’t look half bad in there… Lol, but at least it works!!!

Instead of the Faria, why didn’t you just get another Eliminator trim gauge?

Did you ever find out who makes the Eliminator gauges? Be interesting to know this because they have the correct ohm value for the Merc sender.

Oh and I love your Isotta steering wheel, that’s another thing on my list!

Well, the mismatch continues, and my OCD is driving me nuts. I do really like the autometer GPS speedo, with the different information available , did you know it’s 9.6 miles from Windsor north to Sara’s crack?.
I think I’m going with Livorsi for all the rest, and just deal with it.
Autometer can’t tell me if all my senders will work with there gauges, but livorsi said yes,(but we know trim gauges don’t)
F91C4A4E-4B52-4E00-9C67-027B5DA92F81.jpeg

SS-C

Reaction score
Well, the mismatch continues, and my OCD is driving me nuts. I do really like the autometer GPS speedo, with the different information available , did you know it’s 9.6 miles from Windsor north to Sara’s crack?.
Autometer can’t tell me if all my senders will work with there gauges, but livorsi said yes,(but we know trim gauges don’t)

So, you went ahead and gave those dicks more money!! SHIIIIIIIIT! Lol

I must say though, they look damn good in there!

Did you have to buy anything extra to go with the new GPS speedo to make it work?

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
View attachment 962827

Im suffering from the same on my daytona. mixed gauges drives me nuts.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
So, you went ahead and gave those dicks more money!! SHIIIIIIIIT! Lol

I must say though, they look damn good in there!

Did you have to buy anything extra to go with the new GPS speedo to make it work?
Ya, the antenna

Mototrig

Reaction score
@zx14 I stumbled onto some information you might find interesting. My boat came with the non marine Autometer gauges which are not fairing well in the sun, so I want to outfit with the Marine series because I like the look.

I was doing some research trying to find out which sender would work with the Autometer trim gauge and came across your post. I understand that Faria sender and gauge utilizes a sweep of 0-160 ohms and Autometer utilizes a 0-90 sweep. Nobody can figure out why Autometer would utilize this sweep and what's more the techs at Autometer won't respond when you prove their incompatibility with Mercruiser.

Well I think I found the answer (probably not...but I'm pretending like a lawyer who just found the smoking gun 🤣🤣)

I think the Autometer Trim level gauge is simply an Autometer pro comp ultralite fuel level gauge turned on it's side 🤯 (mind blown right 🤣🤣)

Here's how I came to this.....
I was looking at the install instructions I downloaded from Autometer and nowhere does it say Trim gauge, but it DOES say fuel level gauge (among a few other types)
Screenshot_20220831-144530.png

Then I started to research what ohms sweep Autometer's fuel level gauge utilizes. Now to be fair, the marine series gauge utilizes a sweep of 33-240 ohms. And also to be fair their (non marine) Ultralite fuel level gauge is also available in a number of other sweeps one of which is like 16-168 ohms which would more closely match to the Mercruiser sending unit, but that's beside the point. Back to my theory, one of the options of available ohm sweeps is (Surprise surprise) 0-90!!

Screenshot_20220831-150710.png

Then I did some research on what are the common ohms sweep for fuel level senders across the internet. I found anywhere from 0-30 ohms on up to 1000 ohms. Autometer KNOWS this and came up with a compatibly solution to allow their fuel gauge to work with senders utilizing a different ohms sweep.

Enter the Autometer Fuel Bridge Fuel Signal Adapter 🤯

Screenshot_20220831-150349.png

Screenshot_20220831-150335.png

Dam I feel like Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny when he explained what a posi burnout looks like LoL.

Who knows if any of this is true but it's an interesting concept. Maybe this fuel bridge is the answer for the Autometer trim gauge to truly be compatible with Mercruiser senders.

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
@zx14 I stumbled onto some information you might find interesting. My boat came with the non marine Autometer gauges which are not fairing well in the sun, so I want to outfit with the Marine series because I like the look.

I was doing some research trying to find out which sender would work with the Autometer trim gauge and came across your post. I understand that Faria sender and gauge utilizes a sweep of 0-160 ohms and Autometer utilizes a 0-90 sweep. Nobody can figure out why Autometer would utilize this sweep and what's more the techs at Autometer won't respond when you prove their incompatibility with Mercruiser.

Well I think I found the answer (probably not...but I'm pretending like a lawyer who just found the smoking gun 🤣🤣)

I think the Autometer Trim level gauge is simply an Autometer pro comp ultralite fuel level gauge turned on it's side 🤯 (mind blown right 🤣🤣)

Here's how I came to this.....
I was looking at the install instructions I downloaded from Autometer and nowhere does it say Trim gauge, but it DOES say fuel level gauge (among a few other types)
View attachment 1151182

Then I started to research what ohms sweep Autometer's fuel level gauge utilizes. Now to be fair, the marine series gauge utilizes a sweep of 33-240 ohms. And also to be fair their (non marine) Ultralite fuel level gauge is also available in a number of other sweeps one of which is like 16-168 ohms which would more closely match to the Mercruiser sending unit, but that's beside the point. Back to my theory, one of the options of available ohm sweeps is (Surprise surprise) 0-90!!

View attachment 1151188

Then I did some research on what are the common ohms sweep for fuel level senders across the internet. I found anywhere from 0-30 ohms on up to 1000 ohms. Autometer KNOWS this and came up with a compatibly solution to allow their fuel gauge to work with senders utilizing a different ohms sweep.

Enter the Autometer Fuel Bridge Fuel Signal Adapter 🤯

View attachment 1151184
View attachment 1151186

Dam I feel like Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny when he explained what a posi burnout looks like LoL.

Who knows if any of this is true but it's an interesting concept. Maybe this fuel bridge is the answer for the Autometer trim gauge to truly be compatible with Mercruiser senders.

Cheers 🍻
Damn, I think you did find the answer, are you going to try it? Great find. I will try over the winter, when the temps drop to the mid 80’s here. Lol. Now, let’s work on getting Biden out of office before we don’t need a trim gauge,,,lol.

Last edited: