WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

PPP Loan Rules

69 1/2

Reaction score
I hear stories of people using PPP Loan proceeds for toys. While I have no desire for more toys I would like to use that money to pay off a note I have with the previous owner. I have a simple note/debt to the previous stock holder of a C-Corp. I make payments to him with after income tax income. Is this PPP taxable? Maybe only if I take it out of the Corp?

I‘m posing this question to my accountant this week but wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue.

Englewood

Reaction score
When this PPP money runs out, things are gonna change quickly...PPP loan fraud is gonna be a huge issue...

Guys are getting 2-3m bucks and never even had a slowdown. Use the PPP funds for payroll go buy toys with payroll savings...It's happening all over.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I have read previously that PPP forgiven funds will NOT be seen as a taxable event by Feds but will be by CA Govt. Not sure where business is for OP. In line with what Parker Magic is saying, use the funds for forgivable purposes then use the money you "save" to pull it out of company, likely taxed as income to you, and then make the payment to the previous owner.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I wonder if the people complaining about PPP loan fraud own their own business or not, if not then you don't really know. It didn't say you needed to be slow at the time of the loan to get one, so yes some kept working like normal. Others can have their slow period can come months later and the money can come in handy. There are always bad apples, but not everyone who took PPP are buying shit like crazy....The fraud is much larger with unemployment

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
There was another post about this where somebody posted the rules.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I wonder if the people complaining about PPP loan fraud own their own business or not, if not then you don't really know. It didn't say you needed to be slow at the time of the loan to get one, so yes some kept working like normal. Others can have their slow period can come months later and the money can come in handy. There are always bad apples, but not everyone who took PPP are buying shit like crazy....The fraud is much larger with unemployment

Agreed. Everyone jumped all over me when I said this is the .Gov's fault, but nothing in the PPP talked about "needing" the money. And the .Gov did not put in a way to define "need" for PPP, so this is what we got.

Any smart person that runs a business could take the money and "save" it for a rainy day that might be coming. That is not fraud.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
When this PPP money runs out, things are gonna change quickly...PPP loan fraud is gonna be a huge issue...

Guys are getting 2-3m bucks and never even had a slowdown. Use the PPP funds for payroll go buy toys with payroll savings...It's happening all over.

Unless it is blatant fraud, I don't think anyone is going to really care. They are already going to tax you for the income.

Englewood

Reaction score
Agreed. Everyone jumped all over me when I said this is the .GOV's fault, but nothing in the PPP talked about "needing" the money. And the .Gov did not put in a way to define "need" for PPP, so this is what we got.

Any smart person that runs a business could take the money and "save" it for a rainy day that might be coming. That is not fraud.

Agreed. I own a business but didn't take a PPP loan. The problem was that the qualification process had no investigation into the needs of the funds. We are in unprecedented times so I understand it had to be done quickly.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Agreed. I own a business but didn't take a PPP loan. The problem was that the qualification process had no investigation into the needs of the funds. We are in unprecedented times so I understand it had to be done quickly.

Agreed. Fraud and lack of investigation is the consequence of acting so quickly. In the end, the net-net is probably better that the funds helped more people stay employed.

SLT Kota

Reaction score
They made it very clear that they were looking for speed over accuracy, that is why so many dead people got stimulus checks.

Nobody knew if their business was going to get hurt later down the road, many still don't know what will happen long term. I see no problem with any private company applying for it.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Have the final guidelines been published yet? The year is coming to an end and it sure would be nice to know how to close out my company books for the fiscal year.

DLC

Reaction score
@69 1/2
To the best of my knowledge they haven’t released any info on how PPP will be addressed on taxes! I believe this has been delayed on purpose To expose any fraud.

follow the guidelines set in the loan and wait until next year to decide. All the cards will be placed on the table and you’ll know in the next 4 months what’s going to happen. As long as your able to use PPP for payroll And rent you’ll be good and the loan will most likely forgiven, then you can do what’s best for your business..

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Have the final guidelines been published yet? The year is coming to an end and it sure would be nice to know how to close out my company books for the fiscal year.

No because they have had proposed changes in new stimulus bills such as blanket forgiveness for loans less than $150,000.

c_land

Reaction score

We have been working on the forgiveness paperwork with both ADP and our Bank. I would check with the bank.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
We have been working on the forgiveness paperwork with both ADP and our Bank. I would check with the bank.

ADP, US Bank and our accountant all told me today that there is no determination yet. If it remains a loan and the government doesn't make a decision until next year, it will be a issue to deal with at the end of 2021.

DLC

Reaction score
They need to make a decision because it will impact your taxes for 2020

DLC

Reaction score
Not if you just leave it as a liability on your balance sheet. Which every business should do until all the rules of forgiveness come out.

the rules should be coming out soon before end if the year, all the people that got the extra $600 week unemployment bennies are in for a surprise also! Big brother needs to figure that out as well....

keep in mind PPP was based off 2019 payroll ( basically W-2 employees ) 12 months Then they figure out what 2months Of that payroll was....

McKay

Reaction score
the rules should be coming out soon before end if the year, all the people that got the extra $600 week unemployment bennies are in for a surprise also! Big brother needs to figure that out as well....

keep in mind PPP was based off 2019 payroll ( basically W-2 employees ) 12 months Then they figure out what 2months Of that payroll was....

It was actually based on an average of 10 weeks of 2019 payroll. Then originally you had 8 weeks once funded to use up the funds but that was extended to 24 weeks.

Reactions: DLC

c_land

Reaction score
Up until yesterday, the rules had been that all expenses that the PPP loan was used to cover would not be tax deductible.

Last night we received notification from our CPA firm that the stimulus bill includes a provision that allows for the deduction of any items paid for with PPP Loan proceeds.

EDIT: We are waiting on the contents of the final bill to proceed. Check with your tax professionals. This change will have significant impact on our tax projections for 2020.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Could really use an answer on this from our government, hard to close the books for the year with this deduction/non deduction still undecided in the final hours of the year..

Up until yesterday, the rules had been that all expenses that the PPP loan was used to cover would not be tax deductible.

Last night we received notification from our CPA firm that the stimulus bill includes a provision that allows for the deduction of any items paid for with PPP Loan proceeds.

EDIT: We are waiting on the contents of the final bill to proceed. Check with your tax professionals. This change will have significant impact on our tax projections for 2020.

c_land

Reaction score
Could really use an answer on this from our government, hard to close the books for the year with this deduction/non deduction still undecided in the final hours of the year..

Agreed... it would have been nice to know a month ago before we purchased a bunch of equipment and prepaid expenses to reduce anticipated tax liability.

spark2678

Reaction score
Yes, watching this closely. This is a huge deal!!

jesco

Reaction score
Agreed... it would have been nice to know a month ago before we purchased a bunch of equipment and prepaid expenses to reduce anticipated tax liability.

^^^^THIS!!!! ^^^^ I have been weary all year about this loan. Yes, it helped out and put us in a strong position... but they fuck this up its gonna hurt A LOT of SMALL BUSINESS... which right now they clearly give two shits about.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Could impact your overhead rates negatively for the next few years as well. This will affect Cost + public works contracts. I have also heard discussions of clawing back portions used on payroll for federally funded public works projects.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Link to look up who received PPP loans...

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
Expense it? Can't expense principle.
Maybe i dont understand but if you choose to take it as a 1% loan, and pay it back. All the payroll and rents you paid as you normally do.. would be deductable expenses in 2020. Its a Moot point now if Trump signs the Bill .

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Maybe i dont understand but if you choose to take it as a 1% loan, and pay it back. All the payroll and rents you paid as you normally do.. would be deductable expenses in 2020. Its a Moot point now if Trump signs the Bill .

And it’s still expenseable with the forgiveness. Why would your expenses disappear? You still expense payroll, you just have PPP income to offset it if forgiven.

The only difference is claiming the PPP as income or not. I’d rather pay 30% tax on $500,000 than pay the whole $500,000 back.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
896ACEA2-F989-41D9-88FD-F0AAC59C8193.jpeg
4A28443E-6F90-4FEA-98CE-542E3D865951.jpeg
A4FAA5DD-9062-4109-80A8-40AEC37E7B90.jpeg
57574450-3D40-4DB7-89D9-698F585550DA.jpeg

I thought all these companies were doing brisk business during the spring/ summer?

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score

LowRiver2

Reaction score
And most of these loans were approved within a month of the shut down. Nobody knew what was gonna happen at that point. The first month or so after the shut down, everything was slow. Trust me. Nobody knew what was coming.
Fair enough
So for those companies that made money, had 0 financial loss (couple employees out for Covid shouldn’t count), are they expected to pay that loan back in full based on their earnings? (I’m sure many will show a “loss” regardless)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
And most of these loans were approved within a month of the shut down. Nobody knew what was gonna happen at that point. The first month or so after the shut down, everything was slow. Trust me. Nobody knew what was coming.

Agreed on the timing.

All that does not even matter however. The government didn’t define who could get the money. The government said if you want money, apply for it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Fair enough
So for those companies that made money, had 0 financial loss (couple employees out for Covid shouldn’t count), are they expected to pay that loan back in full based on their earnings? (I’m sure many will show a “loss” regardless)

Doubtful. The .gov will get 1/3 back in taxes and we will move on.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
All that does not even matter. The government didn’t define who could get the money. The government said if you want money, apply for it.
My issue (more irony), is that I’ve heard so many private small biz owners complain about my earnings/pension as a public employee.
This situation is a govt. hand out that was supposed to be for those that had financial losses due to Covid. We all know the businesses I just posted did the same biz they did in 19’ at least, some made more money. Would be nice if those companies paid back the loan if they didn’t face a true hardship.
Transparency works both ways beteeen public/private professions.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My issue (more irony), is that I’ve heard so many private small biz owners complain about my earnings/pension as a public employee.
This situation is a govt. hand out that was supposed to be for those that had financial losses due to Covid. We all know the businesses I just posted did the same biz they did in 19’ at least, some made more money. Would be nice if those companies paid back the loan if they didn’t face a true hardship.
Transparency works both ways beteeen public/private professions.

I agree. But also consider that not every business owner went out and bought a boat, house or Lamborghini. Some of those business used the money as working capital to ensure jobs, and maybe hire more people as business was picked up.

As a business owner, if you offered me a low interest loan for working capital, the answer is always going to be “Yes I need it”. Especially with any financial uncertainty.

At a macro level all these funds were good for the economy as a whole, and injected money into the system.

As usual, the hypocrisy is laughable because the people complaining about businesses getting money they didn’t “need” went out and blew their first round of $600 personal covid money on Can Am parts or other junk because they didn’t “need” the $600, but cashed the check anyway.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Fair enough
Didn't Nordic shut down the shop for a month?

Done-it-again

Reaction score

I think this is hard for non business owners to comprehend. They just keep collecting a paycheck and if they keep coming their life doesn’t change, so all must be good on top of the totem poll.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I agree. But also consider that not every business owner went out and bought a boat, house or Lamborghini. Some of those business used the money as working capital to ensure jobs, and maybe hire more people as business was picked up.

As a business owner, if you offered me a low interest loan for working capital, the answer is always going to be “Yes I need it”.

At a macro level all these funds were good for the economy as a whole.

As usual the hypocrisy is laughable because the people complaining about businesses getting money they didn’t “need” went out and blew their first round of $600 persona covid money on Can Am parts or other junk because they didn’t “need” the $600, but cashed the check anyway.
True
But there are companies that blew that cash on personal crap. I ran my local zip code as I know all the construction players in my hood.
The small guys jumped on the loans and I know for a fact they did not slow down ever during the last 10 months.

I had to wait for 4 days for one load of concrete last month, and that was with Robertson’s, one fo the biggest plants in my area.

Time will tell what happens

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I think this is hard for non business owners to comprehend. They just keep collecting a paycheck and if they keep coming their life doesn’t change, so all must be good on top of the totem poll.
My ex’s family has had a road milling company for the last 35 years they started from scratch.
I know first hand how small business works and how corners are cut, personal toys get “acquired” through a business.

Call me the hybrid, I know both sides of it.
I’d just like to see those that slight us “paycheck” guys be fair and only take what they need like the hours I work.

I’m also the first to know that will never happen.

McKay

Reaction score
Fair enough

Earnings (Revenue) does not come into account for PPP round 1. PPP round 2 it does.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Look a little deeper who took out ppp money in az Havasu and calif. ok there not ballers they just use the government credit card